4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Windows 11, To be announce on 24 June 2021

views

xxboxx
post Oct 30 2021, 10:32 AM

The mind is for having ideas, not holding them
5,093 posts

QUOTE(Andrewtst @ Oct 30 2021, 10:06 AM)
Rounded to me in Microsoft 365.  biggrin.gif

user posted image
I think Win 11 will auto round corner for all apps, but MS own app can break that.
xxboxx
post Nov 2 2021, 11:51 AM

5,093 posts

https://www.ghacks.net/2021/11/01/windows-1...em32-directory/

I got 800 empty folders
xxboxx
post Nov 6 2021, 10:22 AM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(TongCN @ Nov 5 2021, 01:39 PM)
Currently this is one of the solution if wanna stick with Win 11 (else revert back to Win 10).

But nothing beats when u can direct click on the specific excel where it shows there (without combine).
How about using Win+1? (If the app is the first one in taskbar)
Tapping 1 while holding Tab will cycle through only the app.
xxboxx
post Nov 7 2021, 01:14 PM

5,093 posts

Anyone know if my computer running secure boot or not? If off, how to re-enable it?
tpm.msc and Win Security show have TPM but sysinfo show secure boot is off. Drive partition using UEFI.

user posted image

Things I tried, but still remain same.
Clear TPM at tpm.msc and reboot.
Clear TPM and then Prepare the TPM, before reboot.
Clear TPM in BIOS.
Disable fTPM in BIOS, restart to Windows, reboot back to BIOS and re-enabled fTPM.

I thought it might be because previously when BIOS failed to run due to bad RAM timing, it revert to backup BIOS and when Windows start it show some security settings and need to log in account online. When I clear or disable TPM in BIOS, it will also show the security prompt when Windows start.

xxboxx
post Nov 7 2021, 04:16 PM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(MyProLife @ Nov 7 2021, 02:15 PM)
Go into bios advanced setup, look for boot option, turn off CSM (legacy) mode then can on secure boot
Thanks! notworthy.gif
disabled CSM bring back Secure Boot option. I also need to factory default back the Secure Boot option.
xxboxx
post Nov 7 2021, 04:20 PM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(Andrewtst @ Nov 7 2021, 04:07 PM)
It may located at different area, for example my motherboard secure boot is located at Boot but my TPM is located at Settings.

Secure Boot
user posted image

TPM
user posted image
My BIOS reset to default when fail to start, and it turn on CSM. When CSM turn on, Secure Boot option doesn't appear.
xxboxx
post Nov 7 2021, 05:30 PM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(Andrewtst @ Nov 7 2021, 04:28 PM)
My Bios don't have CSM mode, it just default Secure Boot is off.
When update bios time they will also reset to default. Microsoft just make trouble to people.

In my MB latest Bios at least now it will default with TPM on instead of off previously.
But still I need to turn on the Secure Boot every time I update my Bios.
I think only old board still have CSM, mine is X470. And it also will turn off TPM every time BIOS reset. rclxub.gif
MS and board maker doesn't make TPM and Secure Boot function seamless, user have to manually change some settings to get it pair back.
I checked, my laptop's Secure Boot also turned off. Must be when after I upgrade to Win 11, there's update for the BIOS. After BIOS update, that's when Bitlocker ask to re-enter it's decryption key.

Thing is, MS doesn't give reminder that Secure Boot was off. Maybe when the 1 time it ask me to login online, there's also msg about it is turned off but are not prominent. Both my devices was running without Secure Boot for almost 1 month. I still receive update every week. Don't know what prompt me to check about Secure Boot this morning. Unless check at sysinfo, no other place mention it is off. Win Security now also have details for Secure Boot. When it is off, there's no mention about it in Device Security. It would be useful if there's a prompt, like how it constantly prompt me to use Windows Hello as sign-in option.

user posted image
xxboxx
post Nov 7 2021, 06:38 PM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(Andrewtst @ Nov 7 2021, 05:38 PM)
Yup, you area correct and secure boot off seems doesn't matter at all. sweat.gif 

Microsoft only deal with those branded prebuild PC but less communicate with Custom Build PC MB manufacturer.
MS makes so much hoo-ha about must have Secure Boot to install Win 11, how it's a critical function for the OS security and help to reduce malware attacks by 60%. But when it was turned off later, no reminder, no prompt, not even a nudge asking to turn it back on. doh.gif
xxboxx
post Nov 8 2021, 12:30 PM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(life5tyle @ Nov 8 2021, 10:50 AM)
By right, it got prompt once a while on the right hand corner for few seconds before go away. Well, it does remind me on laptop. Unless the notification you also turn off.
I didn't turn off notification, it got prompt me use Windows Hello and the annoying have scans X amount of times.
Both PC and laptop doesn't have the notification.
xxboxx
post Nov 8 2021, 12:34 PM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(squall_kay @ Nov 8 2021, 12:29 PM)
guys, any idea how to make the taskbar icons in the same size?
noticed my win11 on envy4 does not have same size icons whereas on ideapad pro 5, all the icons are in same size.
confused.gif

[attachmentid=11031472]
Did you hold right click and drag the icon? That will make the icon become smaller.
Example this, Edge smaller because I hold right click and drag the icon.

user posted image
xxboxx
post Nov 11 2021, 09:48 AM

5,093 posts

https://www.xda-developers.com/windows-11-k...uild-22000-318/
This includes an issue with the L3 cache on AMD processors that could result in decreased performance.

I thought MS already fix the issue on previous patch. So those benchmark that with supposedly after patch is still not accurate.
xxboxx
post Dec 8 2021, 10:48 PM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(mashimarow @ Dec 8 2021, 11:53 AM)
Recently read an article windows 11 serious impact on SSD Nvme read/write speed compare to windows 10

Any update on that? 

I am using SSD Nvme GEN4 for my win10 now where cold boot only take seconds  hmm.gif
Doesn't notice any speed different from cold boot now compare to last time when on Win 10.
Benchmark on my 3 years old drive, still get good speed.
user posted image
xxboxx
post Dec 12 2021, 08:25 AM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(mashimarow @ Dec 9 2021, 09:33 AM)
https://www.gsmarena.com/some_nvme_ssds_get...-news-52180.php

it's affecting the random write and only on the drive with OS, I think is the OS bug itself

thinking of upgrading manually this weekend(the auto update never come in)  hmm.gif  random write isn't much big issue right? I only use Nvme for OS, nothing else is stored there
Looks like MS found out what's the problem is, the fix only coming on next year. But honestly when using, I didn't notice any slow down compare to before when use Win 10
Microsoft has figured out what is causing this issue, as revealed in a blog post,  noting it will be resolved in Windows Preview build KB5007262. Instead of the issue being related to Windows drivers, it’s due to the enabling of the USN journal on the C:/ drive, which keeps track of changes made to the drive and is always enabled. According to Microsoft, the fix “Addresses an issue that affects the performance of all disks (NVMe, SSD, hardisk) on Windows 11 by performing unnecessary actions each time a write operation occurs.” This would explain why some users were seeing it on their primary drive, but not on secondary volumes. It’s not clear what is causing these “unnecessary actions,” but thankfully it’ll be patched soon. Microsoft notes there will only be security updates this moth as opposed to bug fixes like this, so we expect this to roll out sometime in January of 2022.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/32965...me-ssd-behavior

xxboxx
post Dec 14 2021, 10:48 PM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(mashimarow @ Dec 14 2021, 09:28 AM)
Yeah, I see the news, I'm still struggling to update it via assistant updater or keep on waiting for the update signal

everything is running so fine in win10 now, am I looking for trouble?  whistling.gif
My PC also can't update using the assistant. Something somewhere corrupt until no matter which method to update, all still fail. I end up delete the drive partition and do fresh install on new partition.

I won't say one is better than another, both have it's plus and minus. Win 11 wear makeup and have fancy animation, but at the cost of more processing power.
xxboxx
post Dec 16 2021, 10:10 AM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(life5tyle @ Dec 15 2021, 07:47 AM)
Need to use commands to execute the update. Unlike Linux, Windows user depending too much on GUI. In Windows, you can also use commands like Linux to perform Windows Update or install certain Windows components.
I use the assistant, it goes until about 80% then it auto undo the update. Even choosing the option to full wipe everything and clean install, it still undo back.
xxboxx
post Jan 9 2022, 02:24 PM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(X1X1 @ Jan 9 2022, 10:55 AM)
guy my windows switch desktop hotkey is not working.
normally i click control + window + arrow to switch but now not working.

same as windows + shift + s for partial print screen also fail now
Are you on latest update? I heard about partial screenshot not working on some earlier version then MS have fix it in latest update.
Didn't hear about issue with switch desktop though, mine here working fine.
xxboxx
post Feb 17 2022, 08:53 PM

5,093 posts

Windows Task Manager will have a revamp after so many years. Now even with dark mode.

This guy, Dave, is an ex Microsoft's OS engineer. He's the original author of Windows Task Manager and the infamous Windows Product Activation as well as some other Windows components. A lot of his video is about the history of Windows, also interesting video is about how MS team fight against Sony's audio CD that will auto install rootkit.
xxboxx
post Mar 14 2022, 06:03 PM

5,093 posts

Finally, tabs on Windows Explorer!

Too bad only accessible on dev build, not even on beta build.
xxboxx
post Apr 6 2022, 09:28 PM

5,093 posts

I noticed a lot of cool tweaks that makes Win 11 better still not yet released for stable build. Such as use mouse scroll wheel to change volume, already half years ago when they announce it.
xxboxx
post Apr 7 2022, 12:05 AM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(Andrewtst @ Apr 6 2022, 10:00 PM)
All features in 22H2 is not release for stable version yet as it just enter Beta Channel last week where Microsoft is lazy enough by just using the same copy of in Dev Channel where with watermark of evaluation and expiration date... and they got a stability issue on File Explorer at the moment.

Probably still few months before they will release for Stable. !st 21H2 is release on Oct 2021, I think 22H2 will be available for stable user in month of October 2022 as well.
Long way to go...
I was waiting for adjustable more apps or recommendation on Start button. Wait till long neck

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0643sec    0.54    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:48 PM