3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

PC refuses to turn on, Very random situation

views

TSjianh
post Jun 16 2021, 03:32 AM, updated 3y ago

What custom title???
920 posts

Pc suddenly refused to power on whole night. Motherboard has light (indicating thr’s power)

Specs: Ryzen 5 2600, Galax RTX2080 base, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz (DOCP enabled), 1x Toshiba 2TB 2.5” HDD, 1x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB NVMe, NZXT C850 80+ Gold 850W, Asus Prime B450MA mATX.

Everything runs stock, ie no OC.

Parts i checked:

1. Reseat the graphics card

2. Reseat the RAM

3. Tried 1 stick of RAM

4. Tried RAM on all slots.

5. Checked and reseat NVMe

6. Checked and replugged HDD

7. Checked and replugged case power switch cable

8. Checked and replugged case every front panel cables (HDD LED, Reset Button, Power LED)

9. Checked case front panels connections (no sign of physical damage detected)

10. Checked and replugged all PSU cables (24-pin to motherboard, CPU, GPU, HDD)

10. Case is newly bought, 1.5 weeks old. Cooler Master MB400L mATX.

11. Dusted GPU PCIe slot

12. Dusted GPU connector

13. Dusted both sticks of RAM

14. Dusted all 4 RAM slots

Note:

1. Recently installed new NZXT PSU 850W 2 days ago

2. Recently installed 240 mm AIO cooler for processor

3. Did stress test on processor using OCCT, no issue. Processor max temp was around 59-61C

4. Did stress test on graphics card using OCCT, no issue. Graphics card max temp was 70C.

5. PC was running fine for hours each day, for past 2 days

6. Did some gaming past 2 days and monitored GPU and CPU temps, all fine. GPU temp at 75C; CPU temp at around 56-58C.

7. The only part i have not bothered is the processor. I don’t dare to unscrew the cooler and looked into processor as I don’t trust my own hand. Processor requires more delicate handling.

8. The Samsung NVMe is the boot drive.

No help at all. Where else should I check?
zuozi
post Jun 16 2021, 03:39 AM

Enthusiast
881 posts

try test without chassis sometimes just a static between motherboard and casing
fireballs
post Jun 16 2021, 03:40 AM

5,627 posts

you replaced the psu. do you still have the old psu?
any error beep? does the led on mobo light up?
rule out the power button is faulty? try short the poweron pin on the mobo
redic
post Jun 16 2021, 03:47 AM

Casual
304 posts

try replace cmos battery
TSjianh
post Jun 16 2021, 03:49 AM

What custom title???
920 posts

QUOTE(fireballs @ Jun 16 2021, 03:40 AM)
you replaced the psu. do you still have the old psu?
any error beep? does the led on mobo light up?
rule out the power button is faulty? try short the poweron pin on the mobo
The issue started with old PSU. I used to have Corsair CX550M 550W 80+ Bronze and I thought it would be underpowered, hence on last Sunday i swapped to a newly bought NZXT C850 850W 80+ Gold.

Right after swap PSU, PC ran fine for 2 days (Sunday & Monday), until last night (Tues night). So the issue is not with PSU.

I really don’t know how to explain it when the symptom is this random. I’ve brought my system to 2 local PC technicians and they both were able to plug it in and power up the pc in front of me, showing not a single sign of issue at all. Once i bawa balik rumah, it will run fine for maybe a day, then symptom comes back.

My system is embarrassing me.

I really don’t know how to explain it.
SUSpundi
post Jun 16 2021, 04:14 AM

Enthusiast
789 posts

have u try
load defuelt setting at bios?
save and exit?
jetblast
post Jun 16 2021, 04:59 AM

Regular
1,010 posts

Do you use extension cables for the 24pin? I had this problem with my son computer before. The 24 pin extension was faulty. How about taking a picture of the system. Maybe someone on the forum will see something you did not notice.

This post has been edited by jetblast: Jun 16 2021, 05:00 AM
bgm2k
post Jun 16 2021, 05:00 AM

Getting Started
61 posts

if you have this problem from previously psu faulty
the mobo most probably took the heavy load from old psu failure and now even with new psu it still faulty unless you recap the mobo
this is why you dont use cheap psu in the first place
bgm2k
post Jun 16 2021, 05:08 AM

Getting Started
61 posts

random -> the electrolytic capacitor on the mobo or gc is shot
it can standby but cant wakeup release the stored energy because the psu side is new but the ones nearest to chip is mobo/gc is shot so it acts like blocker
sometimes, when the electrolyte inside lucky strike, it release just enough to start
bgm2k
post Jun 16 2021, 05:14 AM

Getting Started
61 posts

its definitely power related maybe even new psu have faulty need rma
TSjianh
post Jun 16 2021, 08:14 AM

What custom title???
920 posts

QUOTE(pundi @ Jun 16 2021, 04:14 AM)
have u try
load defuelt setting at bios?
save and exit?
I can't even turn on the PC, let alone press DEL and masuk BIOS.
Press switch at front panel, nothing happens.

QUOTE(jetblast @ Jun 16 2021, 04:59 AM)
Do you use extension cables for the 24pin? I had this problem with my son computer before. The 24 pin extension was faulty. How about taking a picture of the system. Maybe someone on the forum will see something you did not notice.
Nah, no extension cables. Semua pakai original cables supplied along with the NZXT PSU.
I think picture is a good idea I shall do it later today.

QUOTE(bgm2k @ Jun 16 2021, 05:00 AM)
if you have this problem from previously psu faulty
the mobo most probably took the heavy load from old psu failure and now even with new psu it still faulty unless you recap the mobo
this is why you dont use cheap psu in the first place
Can't really tell from visual inspection if we can detect this. IMO I think my old Corsair PSU didn't fail, it was just underpowered after I installed new AIO cooler. Hence I changed to the new NZXT 850W. Yes, I purposely chose a 80+ Gold rated PSU. Prior to this I was using Corsair CX550M, which was also 80+ Bronze.

QUOTE(bgm2k @ Jun 16 2021, 05:14 AM)
its definitely power related maybe even new psu have faulty need rma
I just bought the new PSU last Sunday so it's probably 3 days only of usage.
That being said, new doesn't mean it's not faulty so your point stands. Thanks.

This post has been edited by jianh: Jun 16 2021, 08:19 AM
Bonchi
post Jun 16 2021, 09:21 AM

KittehPowah
1,649 posts

this may sound stupid but... can confirm your front switch is working? use a screw driver to short the front panel pins to test to see if can turn to pc or not.
TSjianh
post Jun 16 2021, 10:10 AM

What custom title???
920 posts

QUOTE(Bonchi @ Jun 16 2021, 09:21 AM)
this may sound stupid but... can confirm your front switch is working? use a screw driver to short the front panel pins to test to see if can turn to pc or not.
No no this isn't stupid at all. Yes this def crossed my mind.

i do not know how to short it, and I've never done this before, but I'm told that use a screw driver and sort of conduct the two power switch pin together to make a connection to start the computer.

I'm not home now and I just had my partner help me just randomly plug it in and try to turn on about an hour ago, and YES the computer turns on and loads into Windows. doh.gif

However, I think the problem is still there, this particular turn on was just a fluke of some sort.

Just that what problem is it and where is it?

This post has been edited by jianh: Jun 16 2021, 10:10 AM
TSjianh
post Jun 16 2021, 10:36 AM

What custom title???
920 posts

QUOTE(redic @ Jun 16 2021, 03:47 AM)
try replace cmos battery
I should point out that the CR2032 battery on motherboard is weak and probably almost dead.
Before all these happenings, I had to readjust Windows clock everytime I start the computer.
Bonchi
post Jun 16 2021, 11:33 AM

KittehPowah
1,649 posts

QUOTE(jianh @ Jun 16 2021, 10:10 AM)
No no this isn't stupid at all. Yes this def crossed my mind.

i do not know how to short it, and I've never done this before, but I'm told that use a screw driver and sort of conduct the two power switch pin together to make a connection to start the computer.

I'm not home now and I just had my partner help me just randomly plug it in and try to turn on about an hour ago, and YES the computer turns on and loads into Windows.  doh.gif

However, I think the problem is still there, this particular turn on was just a fluke of some sort.

Just that what problem is it and where is it?
yes, just use a screw driver and short the front panel pins together. you should try on and off a couple of times to see if it's really the switch that is broken. I had a friend who experienced the same thing and it turns out to be the power switch.
TSjianh
post Jun 16 2021, 12:04 PM

What custom title???
920 posts

QUOTE(Bonchi @ Jun 16 2021, 11:33 AM)
you should try on and off a couple of times to see if it's really the switch that is broken.
Oh yes I definitely tried this. Once it could power on upon first try, I once tested 25 times of shutting it down and power on merely by switch button.

All 25 times PC powered on. Yes, 25 times. All 25 times by switch button. I want to find out the root cause. Rigorously tested it.
Outcome? Not a single issue. Not a single sign, not a single indication. No symptoms. All good.

But when it refuses to power on, I tried apa apa pun tak lalu.

Bonchi
post Jun 16 2021, 12:05 PM

KittehPowah
1,649 posts

QUOTE(jianh @ Jun 16 2021, 12:04 PM)
Oh yes I definitely tried this. Once it could power on upon first try, I once tested 25 times of shutting it down and power on merely by switch button.

All 25 times PC powered on. Yes, 25 times. All 25 times by switch button. I want to find out the root cause. Rigorously tested it.
Outcome? Not a single issue. Not a single sign, not a single indication. No symptoms. All good.

But when it refuses to power on, I tried apa apa pun tak lalu.
ever tried changing power source? aka to a different wall plug. grounding issue may lead to problems as well.
Fronzenpants
post Jun 16 2021, 12:06 PM

32 posts

I recall the last time i had this problem is the power button of the case spoilt or PSU problem, but since you just changed your PSU i guess shouldn't be an issue then.
TSjianh
post Jun 16 2021, 12:07 PM

What custom title???
920 posts

QUOTE(Bonchi @ Jun 16 2021, 12:05 PM)
ever tried changing power source? aka to a different wall plug. grounding issue may lead to problems as well.
Yes, i tried 3 different wall outlets at home. No help.

Also tried eliminating power boards and direct plug in wall outlet. No help.

I have been using the power cable supplied along with the PSU. Within the case, semua cables connected from PSU to computer components, semua pakai original supplied alongside PSU.

This post has been edited by jianh: Jun 16 2021, 12:08 PM
TSjianh
post Jun 16 2021, 12:07 PM

What custom title???
920 posts

QUOTE(Fronzenpants @ Jun 16 2021, 12:06 PM)
I recall the last time i had this problem is the power button of the case spoilt or PSU problem, but since you just changed your PSU i guess shouldn't be an issue then.
Correct, I just changed PSU last Sunday. It's a newly bought PSU. Not used item.

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0164sec    0.60    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:22 PM