Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Let me teach you Logical Thinking and Fallacies, to debunk False Arguments

views

jojojoget
post Jun 14 2021, 10:04 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

Also don't forget the fallacy fallacy, just because an argument contains a logical fallacy doesn't mean it can't be true, it's just that the structure of the argument is faulty. The worth of logical fallacies in public forums is that when people respond to your opinion you can sift through it and identify which is a valid critique and which is wasting your time, ignore the fallacies and focus on the rest.
jojojoget
post Jun 14 2021, 11:28 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

QUOTE(brkli @ Jun 14 2021, 09:54 PM)
hrm.... how about this??
Could be a tu quoque, when politician is criticized they flip the argument and criticize the voter instead. However, there is a cause and effect relationship here, if voters are dumb, then they are liable to elect dumb politicians so not s trong fallacy.
jojojoget
post Jun 27 2021, 02:25 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

QUOTE(diffyhelman2 @ Jun 27 2021, 01:05 AM)
I would say this is the argument by design controversy, I dont know if it can be definitely called a fallacy.

On the larger issue of that TS topic, he falls into the divine fallacy argument.

ie, the Universe is so amazing, I cannot imagine it could have come into its own by itself without a creator.
In a way it's a false analogy, the universe and a sock are not alike and cannot be compared in such a way.
jojojoget
post Aug 12 2021, 06:15 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

user posted image
Is this really begging the question aka circular reasoning? It just seems like the premise is unsubstantiated and it might be missing a link

jojojoget
post Aug 12 2021, 09:08 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

QUOTE(lowya @ Aug 12 2021, 06:21 PM)
Oh i almost forgot abt this thread  tongue.gif

Begging the questions refers to question with built-in assumed facts to bulldoze the narratives.

whereas,

Circular reasoning is using X to prove Y, then Y to prove X. Similar to correlation is not causation.

p/s: how did u manage to get this thread going?
so what do you think about the example?
jojojoget
post Aug 13 2021, 01:33 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

QUOTE(lowya @ Aug 13 2021, 08:45 AM)
the example is correct, it's how the arguement is carried out we look at, we do not look at opinions, because it could be easily twisted supposed if u murder a murderer example.
I disagree with the first part and agree with the second. Let me abstract the argument to make it more clear, substituting the content words we get the following:
A is always B.
Therefore, C is B.

This is definitely not circular reasoning as I mentioned. However is it really begging the question? It seems to be missing a link from C to A which would make this a valid deduction. Although it could be that the assumption as you mentioned in your definition of begging the question is that abortion is murder. Is this analysis correct?

The logical form of begging the question is as follows:

Claim X assumes X is true.

Therefore, claim X is true.

Example: The reason everyone wants the new "Slap Me Silly Elmo" doll is because this is the hottest toy of the season!

The example would be better if it said "Abortion is murder because you are murdering a person".

This post has been edited by jojojoget: Aug 13 2021, 01:41 PM
jojojoget
post Aug 13 2021, 05:18 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

QUOTE(lowya @ Aug 13 2021, 05:03 PM)
now THAT is "begging the question" with builtin ASSumption.
Hmmm I still don't get this example though. The person is making a claim that if the DG wasn't there the cases would be higher. You can ask for justification of this claim but it isn't begging the question. It would be begging the question if he said "The DG is great because he's doing a good job". Am I just confused?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0180sec    0.57    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th September 2021 - 01:34 PM