Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Removing first name on IC, Due to professional and personal reasons

views

maxpudding
post Jun 13 2021, 08:27 PM

Getting Started
100 posts

QUOTE(mataharih @ Jun 13 2021, 06:04 PM)
No Wan or Puteri or anything. Just an annoying trend amongst some Malay families to use one first name for all their daughters…it’s a stupid trend and doesn’t reflect our individual identity at all.
Siti?
DefxZ
post Jun 13 2021, 08:45 PM

47 posts

I'm also curious how name change works, do update us. Thank god my name is short and will make sure my kids also have short names tongue.gif
Sammie7
post Jun 14 2021, 09:34 AM

Casual
333 posts

QUOTE(mini orchard @ Jun 11 2021, 04:49 PM)
Not many people woukd know about the code. As long thumb print and photo matches, will do.
not ppl nowadays would realized that, yes. BUT not the systems lol.

Do you know that apparently many systems out there (be it govt's or private company's) automated the 'gender' data field in their systems based on the IC gender code unless it is manually updated? e.g. last time I saw news that one of the couples unable to get their marriage approved by the JPN system becoz both husband and wife have the same gender code. I'm glad they updated the system afterwards.

Many times when I applied for something, even though I already mentioned my gender in the application forms, my gender still turns out wrongly after they key in my information into the system.

yes maybe worse case it's just nuisance, you know, like callers address you as the opposite gender. and when you answer the call they doubt you as the husband/wife of the person they intended to call. *sigh* I lost count on how many times I need to explain/insist over the phone that yes I am the person you are calling.

it's all trivial matters until I applied my first passport. Yes my gender field came out wrongly. So when I pointed that out, instead of giving me a new printed passport with the correct gender, they just print an additional remark at the "Pemerhatian/Observation" page to indicate my actual gender. dry.gif

and that time I often required to travel overseas for business trips. So a lots of times I have to wait at customs for extra 15-30 minutes becoz the officers noted the gender field, and no, they don't care about what the "Pemerhatian/Observation" says about my gender. So I guess they had to call Malaysia's office to verify and all. the times wasted.
mini orchard
post Jun 14 2021, 09:51 AM

10k Club
All Stars
13,913 posts

QUOTE(Sammie7 @ Jun 14 2021, 09:34 AM)
not ppl nowadays would realized that, yes. BUT not the systems lol.

Do you know that apparently many systems out there (be it govt's or private company's) automated the 'gender' data field in their systems based on the IC gender code unless it is manually updated? e.g. last time I saw news that one of the couples unable to get their marriage approved by the JPN system becoz both husband and wife have the same gender code. I'm glad they updated the system afterwards.

Many times when I applied for something, even though I already mentioned my gender in the application forms, my gender still turns out wrongly after they key in my information into the system. 

yes maybe worse case it's just nuisance, you know, like callers address you as the opposite gender. and when you answer the call they doubt you as the husband/wife of the person they intended to call. *sigh* I lost count on how many times I need to explain/insist over the phone that yes I am the person you are calling.

it's all trivial matters until I applied my first passport. Yes my gender field came out wrongly. So when I pointed that out, instead of giving me a new printed passport with the correct gender, they just print an additional remark at the "Pemerhatian/Observation"  page to indicate my actual gender.  dry.gif

and that time I often required to travel overseas for business trips.  So a lots of times I have to wait at customs for extra 15-30  minutes becoz the officers noted the gender field, and no, they don't care about what the "Pemerhatian/Observation" says about my gender. So I guess they had to call Malaysia's office to verify and all. the times wasted.
I do agree you will face some problems but having said is JPN mistake, they dont want to correct it because it may lead to further complications in your other past dealings.

I think a 'new' number or name is more a hassle to resolve than a wrong gender code, in my opinion.

An IC no is assigned by the govt and such 'mistake' can be trace or counter check with JPN link. You cant answer because the number is not your making and all past documents would have the same number when you received the new ic.

A change of name is more difficult to verified for past records done.
Sammie7
post Jun 14 2021, 11:12 AM

Casual
333 posts

QUOTE(mini orchard @ Jun 14 2021, 09:51 AM)
I do agree you will face some problems but having said  is JPN mistake, they dont want to correct it because it may lead to further complications in your other past dealings.
I know. that's why I didn't change it. just telling the stories of having wrong gender code lol

but I just don't like the fact that, my parents actually did pointed it out to JPN officers when I got my first IC when I was 12 yo. there's literally nothing that will 'lead to further complications in my other past dealings'. But the officers still refused to change it. all these could've been avoided you see.

mini orchard
post Jun 14 2021, 11:28 AM

10k Club
All Stars
13,913 posts

QUOTE(Sammie7 @ Jun 14 2021, 11:12 AM)
I know. that's why I didn't change it. just telling the stories of having wrong gender code lol

but I just don't like the fact that, my parents actually did pointed it out to JPN officers when I got my first IC when I was 12 yo. there's literally nothing that will 'lead to further complications in my other past dealings'. But the officers still refused to change it. all these could've been avoided you see.
Even their own mistake, they refused to change. What more TS can expect with a change of name.

Adding will be easier for conversion purpose like to muslim or baptism
SUSlowya
post Jun 15 2021, 11:22 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,821 posts

Maybe can ask Mahiaddin or Iskandar Kutty for advice.
meow2
post Jun 16 2021, 08:53 AM

Group Icon
Elite
23 posts

so after name changed in IC, passport also can change name too to reflect to IC?

This post has been edited by meow2: Jun 16 2021, 08:53 AM
Chrix
post Jun 16 2021, 09:00 AM

Regular
1,082 posts

I have performed legal name change for my kid, at the time age was less 12year old IIRC its more lenient, and the process was as simple as furnishing the form, no other process was involved for my case at least.

QUOTE(mataharih @ Jun 11 2021, 01:22 PM)
I don’t even use my first name,
Just because you choose to not use it, does not mean you have the legal right to change.. best you have a more solid reasoning before attempting this.
TSmataharih
post Jun 16 2021, 12:50 PM

Casual
345 posts

QUOTE(Chrix @ Jun 16 2021, 09:00 AM)
I have performed legal name change for my kid, at the time age was less 12year old IIRC its more lenient, and the process was as simple as furnishing the form, no other process was involved for my case at least.
Just because you choose to not use it, does not mean you have the legal right to change.. best you have a more solid reasoning before attempting this.
How long ago was this? Should have done this years ago when I had a connection in JPN Putrajaya.
mini orchard
post Jun 20 2021, 06:35 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,913 posts

With his current position, he could easily change his IC name, buy didnt proceed.

Attached Image
1tanmee
post Jun 24 2021, 12:12 PM

~noMNom~
970 posts

QUOTE(erry- @ Jun 11 2021, 01:44 PM)
maybe need to find another reason than "When filling up legal forms, it is a hassle having to write out my full legal name on every page"

afraid JPN wont approved it.

btw, imagine this girl later...

user posted image
wtf!
mini orchard
post Jun 29 2021, 08:21 AM

10k Club
All Stars
13,913 posts

Attached Image

Changing father's name on personal identification document allowed: JPN:

https://www.thesundaily.my/home/changing-fa...d-jpn-IA8013684