Router Overload?

views

TScoolocean
post Jun 10 2021, 09:22 AM, updated 3y ago

19 posts

Hi all,

Below are my current configuration.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

The equipment I am using are a TP-Link Archer C1200 as the router and an old Linksys WRT54G as an Access Point. I have a 300mbps internet connection.
The CAT5E cable to the access point can only support 100mbps due to some fault in the cable.

I just reconfigure this setup and it has been giving me problems like:

1. Sudden disconnection on ethernet ports while WIFI on the main router still function

2. Unable to access router webpage through ethernet when it happens but still accessible using WIFI.

3. As ethernet port is down, the Access Point goes down as well.

I notice that these happens when all the devices is running, i.e. all ethernet port is up and running. As such, I suspect it is due to the router overloading (I tried searching and it seems to be a thing, not sure if it is for such case, advise needed).

So, here's the question.

1. Does adding a network switch after the router help my case?

2. Can I stick with the old Linksys Router as a Access Point but with a switch, will I be fine? (I am can live with the reduce speed atm)

i.e. setup like this

Edit:
Thanks guys for the advice. It seems that the problem lies with the TP-Link Archer C1200.
I decided to replace it with TP-Link Archer AX20 + Deco M4.

This post has been edited by coolocean: Jun 10 2021, 06:19 PM
zemega
post Jun 10 2021, 09:33 AM

On my way
698 posts

If you can afford it, I suggest turn off wifi in the main router.

While most people would say it's unnecessary, try placing a fan to the router. For example a 25cm casing fan underneath the router.
HonMun
post Jun 10 2021, 09:37 AM

Professor
1,050 posts

Get a mid range AX router, problem solved.
Hades76
post Jun 10 2021, 09:39 AM

On my way
650 posts

Adding a switch will cause more hops and such. But in the end, you will save some processing power on the router.

Suggest you get a new router which is more powerful and then you can convert all your ethernet to gigabit.
acbc
post Jun 10 2021, 09:41 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,476 posts

WRT54G is very old. Should retire this first. Plus, it is not secure.

For router, disable the wireless to help with better cooling.

Opt for a separate AP like the Deco E4 also.

My set up below and very stable.

AX20 > Switch > Deco M4

AX20 only does routing. M4 for wireless.

The rest like TV and camera connected via WiFi to the M4.
BenYeeHua
post Jun 10 2021, 10:47 AM

Regular
1,740 posts

TP-Link Archer C1200 is the problem, you can enable NAT BOOST to reduce loading on CPU, but well, it will still auto reboot itself....

Just a single reload on the router status page can get the CPU load to 50%, which is....

So yes, you can either call TM to replace your router to a new crappy orange one(crappy on WiFi, but good on stability), and extend 2 years contract, or just get yourself a better one without 2 year contract again la.

For temporary solution, enable NAT BOOST first la.
go626201
post Jun 10 2021, 11:48 AM

Regular
1,583 posts

I think changing your router is better solution.
Get a mid range AX router should be enough for your usage.
iz1011
post Jun 10 2021, 01:43 PM

On my way
502 posts

Get a mid range router and it will solve most of your issue. Most mid range router can run up to 100 devices without much issue if you only have that much IoT in your setup smile.gif
TScoolocean
post Jun 10 2021, 06:16 PM

19 posts

QUOTE(BenYeeHua @ Jun 10 2021, 10:47 AM)
TP-Link Archer C1200 is the problem, you can enable NAT BOOST to reduce loading on CPU, but well, it will still auto reboot itself....

Just a single reload on the router status page can get the CPU load to 50%, which is....
So yes, you can either call TM to replace your router to a new crappy orange one(crappy on WiFi, but good on stability), and extend 2 years contract, or just get yourself a better one without 2 year contract again la.

For temporary solution, enable NAT BOOST first la.
Yea, I checked the setting and the NAT BOOST was enable by default and well, it still cause problems..

Anyhow, it seems that the problem lies with the TP-Link Archer C1200 and based on other comments, it is notorious in causing problems.

So, I decided to replace the equipment and start from scratch.

After some searching, it seems that TP-Link Archer AX20 and Deco M4 should fit my needs quite well.
shaktiv8
post Jun 10 2021, 07:51 PM

Casual
363 posts

QUOTE(coolocean @ Jun 10 2021, 09:22 AM)
Hi all,

The equipment I am using are a TP-Link Archer C1200 as the router and an old Linksys WRT54G as an Access Point. I have a 300mbps internet connection.
The CAT5E cable to the access point can only support 100mbps due to some fault in the cable.

1. Sudden disconnection on ethernet ports while WIFI on the main router still function

2. Unable to access router webpage through ethernet when it happens but still accessible using WIFI.

I notice that these happens when all the devices is running, i.e. all ethernet port is up and running. As such, I suspect it is due to the router overloading (I tried searching and it seems to be a thing, not sure if it is for such case, advise needed).

So, here's the question.

2. Can I stick with the old Linksys Router as a Access Point but with a switch, will I be fine? (I am can live with the reduce speed atm)

i.e. setup like this

Edit:
Thanks guys for the advice. It seems that the problem lies with the TP-Link Archer C1200.
hi, why do you want to mix and match different routers when you can just get a better aio mesh system like the x20?

im using two deco x90 and one x20 in my house and i get speeds of around 700mbps+ constantly

my main router, the x90, is connected to a 16 port switch which includes a nas that constantly uploads and downloads from my clouds and ive never had issues.

wont be a good choice if u use iptv though

This post has been edited by shaktiv8: Jun 10 2021, 07:52 PM
TScoolocean
post Jun 10 2021, 08:06 PM

19 posts

QUOTE(shaktiv8 @ Jun 10 2021, 07:51 PM)
hi, why do you want to mix and match different routers when you can just get a better aio mesh system like the x20?

im using two deco x90 and one x20 in my house and i get speeds of around 700mbps+ constantly

my main router, the x90, is connected to a 16 port switch which includes a nas that constantly uploads and downloads from my clouds and ive never had issues.

wont be a good choice if u use iptv though
Yup, the main reason I am still getting the Archer AX20 router is cause I need it for IPTV.
shaktiv8
post Jun 10 2021, 09:34 PM

Casual
363 posts

QUOTE(coolocean @ Jun 10 2021, 08:06 PM)
Yup, the main reason I am still getting the Archer AX20 router is cause I need it for IPTV.
I see, don’t want to try ASUS mesh system ? I’ve had the m4 and the speeds were really not that great
TScoolocean
post Jun 10 2021, 11:41 PM

19 posts

QUOTE(shaktiv8 @ Jun 10 2021, 09:34 PM)
I see, don’t want to try ASUS mesh system ? I’ve had the m4 and the speeds were really not that great
Yea, but Asus equipment is more expensive sweat.gif , AX20 + M4 and 2 x RT-56U still has a difference of ~RM200.

This post has been edited by coolocean: Jun 10 2021, 11:41 PM
Ash55
post Jun 10 2021, 11:46 PM

Getting Started
100 posts

Hi all,

So, here's the question.

i.e. setup like this

Edit:
if you got old computer, i suggest you to use pfsense or opnsense , is free router os ,
and you can use back old router as AP or bridge mode, as pfsense or opnsense will be main router so their will do main task
it will solve your overload cpu usage,
i do it on my home, only cost me 250 and solve disconnect issue before this when i use tplink router

if you want to use IPTV , you can try buy asus router and set as main router and other router as AP or bridge mode

This post has been edited by Ash55: Jun 10 2021, 11:49 PM
TScoolocean
post Jun 11 2021, 12:12 AM

19 posts

QUOTE(Ash55 @ Jun 10 2021, 11:46 PM)
if you got old computer, i suggest you to use pfsense or opnsense , is free router os ,
and you can use back old router as AP or bridge mode, as pfsense or opnsense will be main router so their will do main task
it will solve your overload cpu usage,
i do it on my home, only cost me 250  and solve disconnect issue before this when i use tplink router

if you want to use IPTV ,  you can try buy asus router and set as main router and other router as AP or bridge mode
Oh, wow. Never knew such thing exist. Did a quick read up on it, and I think it would requires a PC with a network card that has multiple ports (probably 4 ports)?
It won't work if I just add a switch to the PC right?

Edit: I found a video where it is able to do pfsense using single ethernet port, by connecting a network switch and setting up its vlan. Is this how it need to be done?

This post has been edited by coolocean: Jun 11 2021, 12:40 AM
MICKEYB
post Jun 11 2021, 12:23 AM

48 posts

getting an additional switch would be the cheapest solution. you can get a fairly decent 100Mbps switch for under RM50.

It would offload some of the tasks on the router - but if it is overloading, i suspect it could be some other issue as well.

try to update the firmware, and turn off unnecessary features. things like bandwidth management, packet inspection, p2p blocking etc can easily overload the router.

you also mentioned a faulty cable, might want to look into changing it as well while you're at it. faulty cables cause dropped packets and the router has to do extra work to correct that.
zuozi
post Jun 11 2021, 12:39 AM

Enthusiast
881 posts

Hi all,

So, here's the question.

i.e. setup like this

Edit:
If you really want go for deco m4 I prefer you get a eap 225 more than enough cover typical shop space for that floor and install omada configure the setting you need and just forget about it

If you worry internal network congested usually won't lah get a 5 port smart switch with vlan tag the smart switch handle internal load

Then any cheap laptop cooling pad will do the job just plug into router USB port for power up the cooling pad fan

This is the setup for my shop at house lah, but those ap all cable plugged since I'm not really a fan of wifi bridge
Ash55
post Jun 11 2021, 12:45 AM

Getting Started
100 posts

QUOTE(coolocean @ Jun 11 2021, 12:12 AM)
Oh, wow. Never knew such thing exist. Did a quick read up on it, and I think it would requires a PC with a network card that has multiple ports (probably 4 ports)?
u need pc with 2 lan port, one for wan and one for lan,
basic spec already enough , i only use j1800 intel celeron and with 2GB ram,
if want to make iptv work maybe u need 3 lan port
"It won't work if I just add a switch to the PC right? "yes,

but if you think it will to much work biggrin.gif , i suggest to buy ASUS Router RT-AX55 and make as main router and other make as AP mode,
all traffic and operation will handle by asus router
i believe it will solve your issue smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ash55: Jun 11 2021, 12:47 AM
linkinstreet
post Jun 11 2021, 08:17 AM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
9,215 posts

QUOTE(coolocean @ Jun 11 2021, 12:12 AM)

Edit: I found a video where it is able to do pfsense using single ethernet port, by connecting a network switch and setting up its vlan. Is this how it need to be done?
You can buy cheap multi port PCI-e Ethernet cards 2nd hand from places like Lelong or Lazada. These are decommisioned parts from server that still works (and since they are server parts, reliably too). Note that these are usually PCIe x4, so you would sacrifice your x16 port, but then again if it's for a firewall, you won't be using a graphic card anyways

For me I am using an X86 PC + SonicWall XG Home Edition (free license) with my router just being used for IPTV. Note that with PFSense you can actually ditch the router itself and configure bridge mode for one of the ports for IPTV. I am using SonicWall since it's easier for me to do site to site VPN configuration, something that I think most home users won't have use for

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0132sec    0.32    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:48 PM