Laptop random freeze, after upgrade RAM

views

TSThe.Lucas.DaY
post Jun 15 2021, 02:16 PM

Casual
486 posts

QUOTE(gkl83 @ Jun 15 2021, 01:40 PM)
sound like HDD issues for me.

my laptop earlier have freeze HDD issues, keep "clicking" sound when laptop freeze. But laptop back to normal when HDD stop clicking within 20-30sec.
If clicking non stop and exceed 30 sec or more, window prompt some random error msg and boot into BIOS for check-up and said that HDD are no detectable.

after used some while again, the HDD clicking issues disappeared  doh.gif
Not same case with me. My laptop just freeze at all, no "clicking" sound, no respond for long time, no restart itself, no BSOD
I have changed to SSD recently but freeze problem still exist, just happen occasionally

gkl83
post Jun 15 2021, 02:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,377 posts

QUOTE(The.Lucas.DaY @ Jun 15 2021, 02:16 PM)
Not same case with me. My laptop just freeze at all, no "clicking" sound, no respond for long time, no restart itself, no BSOD
I have changed to SSD recently but freeze problem still exist, just happen occasionally

best do fresh OS installation again or try Window 7 or 8.
Maybe newer driver doesnt fit well.
TSThe.Lucas.DaY
post Jun 15 2021, 03:08 PM

Casual
486 posts

QUOTE(gkl83 @ Jun 15 2021, 02:19 PM)
best do fresh OS installation again or try Window 7 or 8.
Maybe newer driver doesnt fit well.
Yup, that's what i did, formatting and a clean installation of Windows 7 to a new SSD, didn't immigrate any files from previous HDD (Previously i suspect it's malware/virus caused this)
I just suspecting it is the RAM issue, ady did rub with eraser on both RAM gold contact
PJng
post Jun 15 2021, 03:12 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,531 posts

Maybe some RAM chipset are not to working together, cause instable
TSThe.Lucas.DaY
post Jun 15 2021, 04:32 PM

Casual
486 posts

QUOTE(PJng @ Jun 15 2021, 03:12 PM)
Maybe some RAM chipset are not to working together, cause instable
Any advice? Should i get an exactly same 2GB samsung RAM make it 2GB x 2 or make it both 4GB x 2
PJng
post Jun 15 2021, 04:35 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,531 posts

QUOTE(The.Lucas.DaY @ Jun 15 2021, 04:32 PM)
Any advice? Should i get an exactly same 2GB samsung RAM make it 2GB x 2 or make it both 4GB x 2
I not expert on laptop, but i think better getting same RAM
TSThe.Lucas.DaY
post Jun 18 2021, 08:25 PM

Casual
486 posts

QUOTE(timeonce @ Jun 9 2021, 10:50 AM)
Is your hdd is disc type and more than 5 years. if yes. i suspect hdd issue. My old laptop also same. change ssd then u be good already. Good luck TS
QUOTE(Xaser_3 @ Jun 9 2021, 10:54 AM)
Very high probability the crash is due to the RAM's being incompatible with each other. Change a new pair of the same type.
QUOTE(gkl83 @ Jun 15 2021, 01:40 PM)
sound like HDD issues for me.

I have done the following steps
- installed new SSD with fresh installation of Windows 7, The problem still coming
- uninstall Realtek HD audio driver, bcs find out some of them crash becos of this driver at other forum
- uninstall graphic card driver (Nvidia) and test
- put only 1 RAM in each slot each time, test on both RAM card. The laptop easily crash within 1 hour if only 1 RAM card installed.

Problem still persists. Supposed if some part is broken, it can't even turn on the laptop and useful for 1-2 days right.. hmm.gif

#prepare$$tobuynewone

This post has been edited by The.Lucas.DaY: Jun 18 2021, 08:28 PM
ceo684
post Jun 19 2021, 01:47 AM

Component Burner
All Stars
11,545 posts

Have you tried monitoring the temp using HWinfo(32/64) sensors and see if its running hot on the CPU, under normal load n under high load (prime95 stress test)?

If the CPU is running too hot random freezes can occur. Also more prone to freezing (coz overheating) if the lappie is placed on soft surfaces like beds and cushions.
Xaser_3
post Jun 19 2021, 10:02 AM

Because I Fly, I envy no man on earth...
All Stars
10,453 posts

QUOTE(The.Lucas.DaY @ Jun 18 2021, 08:25 PM)
I have done the following steps
- installed new SSD with fresh installation of Windows 7, The problem still coming
- uninstall Realtek HD audio driver, bcs find out some of them crash becos of this driver at other forum
- uninstall graphic card driver (Nvidia) and test
- put only 1 RAM in each slot each time, test on both RAM card. The laptop easily crash within 1 hour if only 1 RAM card installed.

Problem still persists. Supposed if some part is broken, it can't even turn on the laptop and useful for 1-2 days right..  hmm.gif

#prepare$$tobuynewone
So sorry to hear this after all your tries and efforts in getting the laptop to work. Last resort is to fork out $$$$ for a new one if the problem still persist and cannot be resolved πŸ˜…
TSThe.Lucas.DaY
post Jun 19 2021, 10:26 AM

Casual
486 posts

QUOTE(ceo684 @ Jun 19 2021, 01:47 AM)
Have you tried monitoring the temp using HWinfo(32/64) sensors and see if its running hot on the CPU, under normal load n under high load (prime95 stress test)?

If the CPU is running too hot random freezes can occur. Also more prone to freezing (coz overheating) if the lappie is placed on soft surfaces like beds and cushions.
I'm using Open Hardware monitor and show temperature gadget on desktop, max temp is 70-80 degree celcius when stress stress using Aida, also dind't froze
Frequent freeze when playing video on youtube or other web

QUOTE(Xaser_3 @ Jun 19 2021, 10:02 AM)
So sorry to hear this after all your tries and efforts in getting the laptop to work. Last resort is to fork out $$$$ for a new one if the problem still persist and cannot be resolved πŸ˜…
This laptop quite old ady, thinking of upgrade a new one but i think now is not a good time to get it becos all price goreng since last year
Xaser_3
post Jun 19 2021, 10:29 AM

All Stars
10,453 posts

QUOTE(The.Lucas.DaY @ Jun 19 2021, 10:26 AM)
I'm using Open Hardware monitor and show temperature gadget on desktop, max temp is 70-80 degree celcius when stress stress using Aida, also dind't froze
Frequent freeze when playing video on youtube or other web
This laptop quite old ady, thinking of upgrade a new one but i think now is not a good time to get it becos all price goreng since last year
Yes, not only the price has increased up to 60%, but if you buy custom build systems example from Dell, the wait time for delivery can be up to 3 months which is ridiculous. Analyst predict that the parts (chips) supply shortage will be overcome by 2022 and hopefully prices will come down by than. They question is, are you able to wait that long before purchasing a new laptop for yourself?
TSThe.Lucas.DaY
post Jun 19 2021, 02:30 PM

Casual
486 posts

QUOTE(Xaser_3 @ Jun 19 2021, 10:29 AM)
Yes, not only the price has increased up to 60%, but if you buy custom build systems example from Dell, the wait time for delivery can be up to 3 months which is ridiculous. Analyst predict that the parts (chips) supply shortage will be overcome by 2022 and hopefully prices will come down by than. They question is, are you able to wait that long before purchasing a new laptop for yourself?
That is so crazy now doh.gif

Ya it has random freeze once about 2-3 days, i only use the lappy for surfing, fb, youtube, Excel, wording..i just worry about force shutdown everytime it freeze, could damage my hard drive, cpu, gpu, mobo..etc

This post has been edited by The.Lucas.DaY: Jun 19 2021, 02:32 PM
Xaser_3
post Jun 19 2021, 03:55 PM

All Stars
10,453 posts

QUOTE(The.Lucas.DaY @ Jun 19 2021, 02:30 PM)
That is so crazy now  doh.gif

Ya it has random freeze once about 2-3 days, i only use the lappy for surfing, fb, youtube, Excel, wording..i just worry about force shutdown everytime it freeze, could damage my hard drive, cpu, gpu, mobo..etc
A suggestion from me, if you have the budget for it is to get an iPad Pro, either 2020 model (to save cost) instead of the 2021 model as your laptop replacement. Just my 2 cents ✌
TSThe.Lucas.DaY
post Jun 19 2021, 08:39 PM

Casual
486 posts

QUOTE(Xaser_3 @ Jun 19 2021, 03:55 PM)
A suggestion from me, if you have the budget for it is to get an iPad Pro, either 2020 model (to save cost) instead of the 2021 model as your laptop replacement. Just my 2 cents ✌
I ady got an Ipad, but that is for family use, not going to buy another Ipad again, prefer laptop/pc
TSThe.Lucas.DaY
post Jun 19 2021, 08:53 PM

Casual
486 posts

QUOTE(The.Lucas.DaY @ Jun 19 2021, 02:30 PM)
That is so crazy now  doh.gif

By Googling my doubt, most likely force shut down by pressing power button did no severe harm to pc
So i just force shutdown whenever it froze, until pc price drop to normal state icon_idea.gif
Xaser_3
post Jun 20 2021, 07:30 AM

All Stars
10,453 posts

QUOTE(The.Lucas.DaY @ Jun 19 2021, 08:39 PM)
I ady got an Ipad, but that is for family use, not going to buy another Ipad again, prefer laptop/pc
No worries. Just get what suites your needs/preference ✌

QUOTE(The.Lucas.DaY @ Jun 19 2021, 08:53 PM)
By Googling my doubt, most likely force shut down by pressing power button did no severe harm to pc 
So i just force shutdown whenever it froze, until pc price drop to normal state  icon_idea.gif
Yes, there is no harm by force shutting down just that it becomes annoying having to reboot after freezing or crash. Hope you manage to find a solution in the meantime
TSThe.Lucas.DaY
post Jun 29 2021, 10:05 AM

Casual
486 posts

QUOTE(Xaser_3 @ Jun 20 2021, 07:30 AM)
Yes, there is no harm by force shutting down just that it becomes annoying having to reboot after freezing or crash. Hope you manage to find a solution in the meantime
It's been 1 week since last frozen in my laptop, i've tried to downclock/underclock cpu frequency, looks working tho thumbsup.gif
The freeze perhaps caused by overheat in cpu due to max frequency runnning
Xaser_3
post Jun 30 2021, 02:43 PM

All Stars
10,453 posts

QUOTE(The.Lucas.DaY @ Jun 29 2021, 10:05 AM)
It's been 1 week since last frozen in my laptop, i've tried to downclock/underclock cpu frequency, looks working tho  :thumbsup:
That is wonderful news, Bro. I'm glad the frequency of freeze's reduced tremendously for you. Try downloading this app called "ThrottleStop". It should help with your overheat issues.
RectangleX
post Jun 30 2021, 04:06 PM

On my way
642 posts

QUOTE(The.Lucas.DaY @ Jun 9 2021, 10:13 AM)
WTA my laptop randomly freeze 1-2 times per week after upgrade RAM (2GB x 1) to (2GB+4GB). The screen,mouse,usb keyboard, all freeze.. at last only can force shut down by pressing the power button for 5sec.

Action taken to test:
- change back to 2GB x 1 or just install 4GB x 1, still will freeze randomly
- Have RAM, CPU, GPU, Hard drive test no issue.. If all these have problems, shouldn't able to start windows right?

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Clean both of the RAM slot with a clean brush. Remove out Crucial 4GB RAM, then do a check using Windows Memory Diagnostic. Switch between them to check for stability. Also, check your storage drive for any defects.

It's been 1 week since last frozen in my laptop, i've tried to downclock/underclock cpu frequency, looks working thoΒ  thumbsup.gif
Open up, clean dust and reapply thermal paste/compound. Make sure the CPU fan is working correctly, and nothing is blocking the exhaust tunnel.

This post has been edited by RectangleX: Jun 30 2021, 04:17 PM
JohnLai
post Jun 30 2021, 11:06 PM

Skeptical Cat
3,620 posts

It's been 1 week since last frozen in my laptop, i've tried to downclock/underclock cpu frequency, looks working tho  thumbsup.gif
Somehow I got a feeling the capacitors at your mainboard is showing its age.
Due to capacitor aging, its capacitance, impedance and ESR value might change, thus resulting in instability.

How old is the laptop and what is the model anyway?

Another issue is electromigration due to age.
For example;
First year = 1.4V on cpu = running 4.2Ghz without issue.
8th year = 1.4V on cpu = random restart, blue screen. Need to increase voltage to 1.44V to run at previously stable 4.2Ghz.

3 Pages < 1 2 3 >Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0222sec    0.30    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:33 PM