Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> 360 degree camera for Honda CR-V

views

TSiastate
post Jun 6 2021, 03:50 PM, updated 2 months ago

On my way
594 posts

Hi all, I just got my new CR-V not too long ago. It's the facelifted model 1.5 TC-P 2WD. Wanted to ask if anyone knows of any good accessories shop that sell 360 degree camera for CR-V. And is it possible that the camera works with my existing head unit?

Also, will installing 360 degree camera void my car warranty?

Thanks.
2feidei
post Jun 6 2021, 04:12 PM

Ayam tatau, ayam virgin (c)
2,861 posts

yes, void warranty
HalseyFrangipane
post Jun 7 2021, 01:42 AM

Getting Started
267 posts

Yes, the warranty will be voided.
HalseyFrangipane
post Jun 7 2021, 01:42 AM

Getting Started
267 posts

*Double post

This post has been edited by HalseyFrangipane: Jun 7 2021, 01:42 AM
BigMan123
post Jun 7 2021, 11:01 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,055 posts

360 good to have and not worth voiding the warranty
abubin
post Jun 8 2021, 02:06 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,968 posts

have you checked with Honda if they provide such accessories? Official ones will not void warranty.
SleeplessEyes
post Jun 8 2021, 03:49 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,859 posts

Really, why the need of 360 camera.
Enlighten me how is it any better than just reverse camera, just for parking purposes.

Me still using old fashion side mirrors & rear mirror.
Yes my other car has additional reverse camera, but that's just it.

This post has been edited by SleeplessEyes: Jun 8 2021, 03:52 PM
abubin
post Jun 8 2021, 04:16 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,968 posts

QUOTE(SleeplessEyes @ Jun 8 2021, 03:49 PM)
Enlighten me how is it any better than just reverse camera, just for parking purposes.

Some people are too used to it. Like for me, after using reverse camera, without it will feel no confident. Same thing with the reserve sensor. I used to drive old cars without sensors. Since using them, I can't live without them.
TSiastate
post Jun 8 2021, 11:58 PM

On my way
594 posts

Honda at this point only provides this to HR-V and BR-V as add-on accessory, not CR-V.

If this will void the warranty, then I won’t pursue it. Maybe 5 years later after the warranty period ends.

It’s just a nice to have feature which I don’t mind paying for it but not worth giving up the warranty.

pcdoctor_my
post Jun 9 2021, 10:15 AM

Shift Xtreme
563 posts

QUOTE(iastate @ Jun 8 2021, 11:58 PM)
Honda at this point only provides this to HR-V and BR-V as add-on accessory, not CR-V.

If this will void the warranty, then I won’t pursue it. Maybe 5 years later after the warranty period ends.

It’s just a nice to have feature which I don’t mind paying for it but not worth giving up the warranty.
LOL. This.

The money you spend at SC just for being an idiot just to maintain the warranty.
After 5 years of servicing at SC = A new 360 Camera set. doh.gif
5 years of SC Servicing cost, plus Plus new Camera set = double the amount. rclxms.gif

And thats if you dont claim any shit warranty fault from Honda. laugh.gif bangwall.gif

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This post has been edited by pcdoctor_my: Jun 9 2021, 10:17 AM
ru40342
post Jun 9 2021, 10:52 AM

Getting Started
205 posts

QUOTE(pcdoctor_my @ Jun 9 2021, 10:15 AM)
LOL. This.

The money you spend at SC just for being an idiot just to maintain the warranty.
After 5 years of servicing at SC = A new 360 Camera set.  doh.gif
5 years of SC Servicing cost, plus Plus new Camera set = double the amount.  rclxms.gif

And thats if you dont claim any shit warranty fault from Honda.  laugh.gif  bangwall.gif

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Good point. I think most drivers overvalue the warranty to the point that they willing to sacrifice alot just to maintain it.

In most cases costs > benefits due to high service cost, long waiting time, strict service intervals, hassle of dealing with SC, cannot modify at all etc.

I personally believe warranty offered by the car companies are designed to get higher profits. That's why most car companies offer longer and longer warranty period and kms.
ZeneticX
post Jun 9 2021, 11:07 AM

stars for what
All Stars
10,264 posts

QUOTE(SleeplessEyes @ Jun 8 2021, 03:49 PM)

i used to think 360 camera is overrated but after trying it in my sis car (yaris), I can see the appeal for it in a larger vehicle like SUV or MPV, or even large sedans

really helps in tight spaces and eliminate blind spots that your reserve camera and mirrors cant reach. having a top down view is different from just a reserve camera and your typical mirrors

This post has been edited by ZeneticX: Jun 9 2021, 11:10 AM
abubin
post Jun 9 2021, 05:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,968 posts

QUOTE(ru40342 @ Jun 9 2021, 10:52 AM)
Good point. I think most drivers overvalue the warranty to the point that they willing to sacrifice alot just to maintain it.

In most cases costs > benefits due to high service cost, long waiting time, strict service intervals, hassle of dealing with SC, cannot modify at all etc.

I personally believe warranty offered by the car companies are designed to get higher profits. That's why most car companies offer longer and longer warranty period and kms.
Overvalued until you need to claim warranty for the car. For a car like CRV, the parts are expensive unlike Myvi. Issues like gearbox failures are not uncommon for a 2-3 years old car. That itself cost over 20k of repair/replacement cost. And the reason for such strict rules is because mods or late service intervals does affect the car's vulnerability to failures. Understanding this is a good start for owners to decide whether they want to stick to the strict rules or just forget about it and do whatever they want with the car.
ru40342
post Jun 9 2021, 06:16 PM

Getting Started
205 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Jun 9 2021, 05:22 PM)
Overvalued until you need to claim warranty for the car. For a car like CRV, the parts are expensive unlike Myvi. Issues like gearbox failures are not uncommon for a 2-3 years old car. That itself cost over 20k of repair/replacement cost. And the reason for such strict rules is because mods or late service intervals does affect the car's vulnerability to failures. Understanding this is a good start for owners to decide whether they want to stick to the strict rules or just forget about it and do whatever they want with the car.
There is no denying repairs can be expensive. Hence there are benefits to maintain warranty as I mentioned. However, the benefit cannot outweigh the cost involved. The same concept can be applied to insurance or even 4D gambling. It is all about probability. Just because you will get money compensation from insurance companies during unfortunate events doesn't mean you should pay exuberant premiums for it. Similarly, just because you will get money reward for winning 4D shouldn't mean you want to buy lottery for it. It is all about calculations of benefits, costs and probability.

It is true that one of the reasons for such strict rules is to prevent failures due to mod or late service. There is another reason for it: to squeeze as much money from the customers as possible. car companies are not stupid. There won't be giving longer and longer warranty periods if this is not beneficial and profitable for them. Understanding this would also help customers make better decisions.

That's why I think most drivers "overvalue" the warranty. They over focus on the benefits of warranty and do not balance their decision with the costs of maintaining the warranty.
TDUEnthusiast
post Jun 9 2021, 11:16 PM

Critical thinking
Group Icon
Elite
10,008 posts

5 years of servicing cost = one 360 degree camera system? Uh... Unless you're forced to keep buying the entire system from the car manufacturer or assembler, it's much cheaper outside and the quality may actually be better depending on the price you pay, but it will still be much cheaper than the ones included in the vehicle at the factory

Of course we won't be getting things like automotive grade connectors and wiring, customised camera housings and all, and we'll depend heavily on the installer's experience. If they mess up with the wiring, well, good luck. Otherwise it's entirely possible to get a 360 camera system installed for less than 2000 or even 1500 I imagine, with a lot of the payment going towards workmanship and mark-ups. If not it's entirely possible to get just the camera system alone for less than 500 MYR depending on your requirements, which is really far from the cost of servicing something like a Honda for 5 years, and that is if nothing else is added on for each service

Before anyone says that it's sold at a very inflated price by the car manufacturer/assembler just purely for massive profit, bear in mind that the process of customising the product and getting it certified for automotive use is actually very expensive.. of course assuming that it's all done properly and no one did some under-the-table deal. Also, we should not forget about the middlemen who import 360 camera system from Taiwan/China and then sell it to the car manufacturers/assemblers here

QUOTE(ru40342 @ Jun 9 2021, 06:16 PM)
There is no denying repairs can be expensive. Hence there are benefits to maintain warranty as I mentioned. However, the benefit cannot outweigh the cost involved. The same concept can be applied to insurance or even 4D gambling. It is all about probability. Just because you will get money compensation from insurance companies during unfortunate events doesn't mean you should pay exuberant premiums for it. Similarly, just because you will get money reward for winning 4D shouldn't mean you want to buy lottery for it. It is all about calculations of benefits, costs and probability.

It is true that one of the reasons for such strict rules is to prevent failures due to mod or late service. There is another reason for it: to squeeze as much money from the customers as possible. car companies are not stupid. There won't be giving longer and longer warranty periods if this is not beneficial and profitable for them. Understanding this would also help customers make better decisions.

That's why I think most drivers "overvalue" the warranty. They over focus on the benefits of warranty and do not balance their decision with the costs of maintaining the warranty.
Uh... I wouldn't take warranty for a car like the Honda CRV or for any Honda in general lightly. If you search in F&F, a couple of months back someone was complaining that it costs 20k to replace the gearbox for their Honda City wink.gif For the Honda Civic FC for example, a lot complaint seems to revolve around the steering rack for example, and this isn't cheap at all

QUOTE(iastate @ Jun 6 2021, 03:50 PM)
Hi all, I just got my new CR-V not too long ago. It's the facelifted model 1.5 TC-P 2WD. Wanted to ask if anyone knows of any good accessories shop that sell 360 degree camera for CR-V. And is it possible that the camera works with my existing head unit?

Also, will installing 360 degree camera void my car warranty?

Thanks.
It will definitely void your warranty. Installing aftermarket systems generally involve wire tapping and most likely drilling, unless the product was made specifically for the vehicle

This post has been edited by TDUEnthusiast: Jun 10 2021, 06:32 PM
pcdoctor_my
post Jun 10 2021, 10:35 AM

Shift Xtreme
563 posts

QUOTE(ru40342 @ Jun 9 2021, 10:52 AM)

I found the service schedule cost, and I did a calculation up to 60 months schedule.
Summed up to RM 2641.61
And a small note below - "- Price shown after 15% discount"

https://www.honda.com.my/doc/maintenance/1623
https://www.honda.com.my/aftersales/maintenance

Not inclusive time and maybe abit of public transport fee to and fro (Grab fares) brows.gif
See..I was right... rclxms.gif
(And BTW, I saw the Air Filter Element costs - RM 246.30 - WTF is it made with? Some Gold platted material? )

QUOTE(TDUEnthusiast @ Jun 9 2021, 11:16 PM)
Uh... I wouldn't take warranty for a car like the Honda CRV or for any Honda in general lightly. If you search in F&F, a couple of months back someone was complaining that it costs 20k to replace the gearbox for their Honda City wink.gif For the Honda Civic FC for example, a lot complaint seems to revolve around the steering rack for example, and this isn't cheap at all
You seem like a typical guy hope and prays that disaster would one day "definitely" strike on you. Like you're wanting someone to crash in you today,for example. Or hoping either your engine or gearbox would fall apart and then start claiming free from Honda etc. LMFAO.
And ever heard of SC also rejecting warranty claims which is are considered legitimate? Cause car manufacturers are in the business of making money - and that means - they dont wanna make a loss by giving free.
Thats why when it comes to some manufacturing defect deemed for recall, some will keep quiet. Unless you're in the US , then consumer protection is higher over there. Not over here.

Reliability is also upmost key reputation for a car manufacturer. If a car is shitty in reputation, no one want to buy a Honda. And thats what makes droves of Malaysians, once upon a time, steer away from Proton into Honda. whistling.gif
Only to find out their more expensive, entry level, Honda City is more basic than a fully equipped Persona. yawn.gif , and yet more expensive. whistling.gif

This post has been edited by pcdoctor_my: Jun 10 2021, 10:39 AM
TDUEnthusiast
post Jun 10 2021, 12:11 PM

Critical thinking
Group Icon
Elite
10,008 posts

QUOTE(pcdoctor_my @ Jun 10 2021, 10:35 AM)
You seem like a typical guy hope and prays that disaster would one day "definitely" strike on you. Like you're wanting someone to crash in you today,for example. Or hoping either your engine or gearbox would fall apart and then start claiming free from Honda etc. LMFAO.
And ever heard of SC also rejecting warranty claims which is are considered legitimate? Cause car manufacturers are in the business of making money - and that means - they dont wanna make a loss by giving free.
Thats why when it comes to some manufacturing defect deemed for recall, some will keep quiet. Unless you're in the US , then consumer protection is higher over there. Not over here.

Reliability is also upmost key reputation for a car manufacturer. If a car is shitty in reputation, no one want to buy a Honda. And thats what makes droves of Malaysians, once upon a time, steer away from Proton into Honda.   whistling.gif
Only to find out their more expensive, entry level, Honda City is more basic than a fully equipped Persona.  yawn.gif , and yet more expensive.  whistling.gif
Uhm. You can say whatever you like. If you have the balls, go ahead and join any car groups and then post the same opinion there. wink.gif

This post has been edited by TDUEnthusiast: Jun 10 2021, 12:11 PM
ru40342
post Jun 10 2021, 01:17 PM

Getting Started
205 posts

QUOTE(pcdoctor_my @ Jun 10 2021, 10:35 AM)
I found the service schedule cost, and I did a calculation up to 60 months schedule.
Summed up to RM 2641.61
And a small note below - "- Price shown after 15% discount"

https://www.honda.com.my/doc/maintenance/1623
https://www.honda.com.my/aftersales/maintenance

Not inclusive time and maybe abit of public transport fee to and fro (Grab fares)  brows.gif
See..I was right...  rclxms.gif
(And BTW, I saw the Air Filter Element costs - RM 246.30 - WTF is it made with? Some Gold platted material? )
Alright let's do some more calculations. I did my car service outside SC and 5 years maintenance would amount to at least 500 of saving. So service at SC = 500 more.

Obviously service time is longer at SC. Assuming every session = half an hour longer. 10 services = 5 hours longer. I think a fair value for time would be RM20 per hour = 100 more

Strict servicing rules. Since service outside can push the car little bit and there are plenty of videos showing cars are supposed to be able to be serviced slightly longer. Let's say in 5 years service outside = save 1 service = 150.

Lost the freedom to mod the car. This is very subjective. Some people don't mind at all and some care alot. Let's say a fair opportunity cost due to lost of freedom = 100

Hassle of dealing with SC + opportunity cost of unable to select the foreman we want. This is also very subjective. Sometimes SC is even better than our own foreman but most of us prefer to deal with our own foreman rather than SC. A fair opportunity cost of 100 due to the hassle and OC of unable to choose our preferred foreman.

Total extra cost = RM 850. Assuming there is a 5 percent probability of gearbox problem = 850 / 0.05 = 17000 which is quite close to the RM 20,000 you mentioned.

The calculations are obviously subjective and depends on individuals. Obviously I just guess the probability of faulty gearbox as I don't own a crv. I am just showing that the calculations and decisions making of whether to service at SC are not as straightforward and most people do not consider the costs (including opportunity cost and nonmonetary cost) of service at SC. Hence they overvalue the benefits of maintaining the warranty.

For me, off the 3 cars I own to date, I always service the first 3-4 times at SC and then service outside.

This post has been edited by ru40342: Jun 10 2021, 01:19 PM
ru40342
post Jun 10 2021, 01:29 PM

Getting Started
205 posts

QUOTE(TDUEnthusiast @ Jun 9 2021, 11:16 PM)
It will definitely void your warranty. Installing aftermarket systems generally involve wire tapping and most likely drilling, unless the product was made specifically for the vehicle
If so perhaps it is best not to choose Honda cars although I can't imagine >1 to 2% of the cars having gearbox or steering rack issues and if so, I would definitely stay away from Honda in the future. if the odds are less than that, then it probably still make sense to service outside.
TDUEnthusiast
post Jun 10 2021, 02:05 PM

Critical thinking
Group Icon
Elite
10,008 posts

QUOTE(ru40342 @ Jun 10 2021, 01:29 PM)
If so perhaps it is best not to choose Honda cars although I can't imagine >1 to 2% of the cars having gearbox or steering rack issues and if so, I would definitely stay away from Honda in the future. if the odds are less than that, then it probably still make sense to service outside.
You may as well not buy any cars then. Car manufacturers don't make everything on their own. Chances are they're using components that may have come from the same supplier, e.g. TRW, of course with different specifications and all.

Based on the calculated maintenance cost, what sense does it make to save a few hundred ringgit in return for a potentially bad time if something goes wrong and you can't claim anything? This is pretty much like not buying windscreen insurance cause you think it'll never crack, and when it does, all you can do is regret and live with a cracked windscreen cause if you couldn't be bothered to cough up a bit of money for the insurance, chances are you won't be willing to spend 4 digits for a replacement either

If anyone listens to those who are anti-warranty and run into problems themselves, what other advise can you guys give after that? Oh too bad your luck's rotten? Too bad for listening to you guys?

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0223sec    0.29    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 2nd August 2021 - 05:23 AM