Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Mass Communication

views

TShellothere131495
post Jun 3 2021, 03:27 PM, updated 3y ago

Casual
447 posts

Is a degree in mass communication a good choice? I've seen a few people do it. Some of them become tuition teachers, while others become YouTubers. I'm not sure why they don't want to find a proper full-time job. Perhaps they're just interested in the degree but don't want to be a reporter?

Other professional degrees, in my opinion, are more valuable. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
mixedice
post Jun 3 2021, 04:13 PM

Getting Started
205 posts

NO
grassshw
post Jun 9 2021, 01:18 PM

Getting Started
50 posts

Degree in mass com is more towards being an all-rounder I guess? There are many things you can do with it if it fits your capabilities (journalism as you've mentioned, broadcasting, PR, HR, marketing, admin etc., or further your studies and become a lecturer)

I agree that a professional degree is more valuable - if those careers don't suit you (this is really a personality thing)
After all you can transition into mass com with those degrees but not vice versa
_Zephyre_
post Jun 9 2021, 01:27 PM

Casual
326 posts

QUOTE(hellothere131495 @ Jun 3 2021, 03:27 PM)
Is a degree in mass communication a good choice? I've seen a few people do it. Some of them become tuition teachers, while others become YouTubers. I'm not sure why they don't want to find a proper full-time job. Perhaps they're just interested in the degree but don't want to be a reporter?

Other professional degrees, in my opinion, are more valuable. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm not sure where you're meeting these people who are becoming tuition teachers and YouTubers but I don't think that's a fair sample size of mass comm graduates.

The unfortunate reality is that mass communication degrees have gained a reputation for being the 'easy' ticket to having a degree or the choice of academic dropouts who didn't do well in school. It doesn't help that the entry requirements are generally lower than, say, medicine or law for example - so you may or may not find a lot of students in these courses reinforcing the stereotype.

I don't think anyone can decide if it's a good choice for you, but it can be pretty broad so chances are you'll need to decide on your specialty in a mass comm degree. Generally they broadly cover stuff like journalism and broadcast media, public relations, advertising and the like. Generally it's a lot of surface-level and theoretical stuff but in the workforce or career-wise, it doesn't beat having a good portfolio.

Objectively speaking, you'll probably get more value out of a professional degree. A lot of jobs that fall under the field of mass communications don't require a degree in the field to get in. That said, if the field is of genuine academic interest, then don't let that stop you. It can still lead to perfectly viable careers.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0159sec    0.21    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:05 AM