Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

how is maxis fibre in 2021?, especially vs unifi

views

TSBaronVonchesto
post May 31 2021, 05:28 PM, updated 3y ago

Getting Started
101 posts

Im considering moving from Unifi. not that im particularly unhappy (well it IS unifi, so its just that you are used to it lah).

however id like to upgrade my plan and seeing that unifi is so much more expensive than maxis, Im wondering how is it now in 2021? It used to be really awful in the past (2012-2013). How is it now for:

1) Netflix
2) youtube
3) Torrenting
4) Downloading from steam
5) MMO gaming (ping, routing quality etc)
6) Can still get a public IP? I have cctv and my own DDNS & email server so this is a sticking point for me.
7) Can still use your own router? I have my own custom home network setup with an Asus AC88 router. no interest in changing to some shitty isp router.

Any traffic shaping or throttling? whats their (un)fair usage policy like?
Asurada
post May 31 2021, 05:37 PM

Casual
369 posts

if you got no issue with unifi, you should be no issue in maxis home fibre as well.
as you should know that both are using the same platform
sadukarzz
post May 31 2021, 05:40 PM

On my way
511 posts

On 30mbps with hotlink plan. Speedtest mostly yields 25mbps above. Overall experience = Inconsistent.

1. Inconsistent, got buffer time despite not HD.
2. Okay most of the time, 720p no issues.
3. Torrenting? So so.
4. So so, inconsistent between 2-4mbps.
5. Averaging 100ms across a few games from Blizzard > Steam
6. Yes, need to call and do.
7. Yes, using 1 now, the router they give is hopeless. Zoom = DC DC DC DC DC DC DC DC DC DC DC DC DC DC DC DC DC.

Not throts so far, no FUP so issues so far.

STILL hoping to change to TIME once its made available in my condo.

This post has been edited by sadukarzz: May 31 2021, 05:40 PM
palgo47
post May 31 2021, 05:49 PM

Casual
462 posts

unless you're thinking of getting TIME or Allo, no difference when comparing unifi, maxis, celcom or digi fibre as they all basically use TM's infra.
PRSXFENG
post Jun 1 2021, 11:32 AM

Regular
1,760 posts

Let's see
1. I don't use Netflix so no comment
2. I don't have any issues, maybe a buffer from time to time.
3. Seems fine, they say they can throttle when network is under high load but I use a VPN and so far have not faced slowdowns.
4. Reaches expected speeds, with that said my laptop is running on a slow HDD.
5. way better than Unifi, see threads in the Network and Broadband forum, so many complains about ping and routing for Unifi.
6. Yes, however you are on Private IP by default, you will have to ask CS to change your account to Public IP, no costs.
7. Yes, however you will lose the VOIP Phone, due to it connecting to stock router and not modem like Unifi, there are ways to use the stock router as dumb device solely for the VOIP Phone.

Unsure on traffic shaping or throttling, fair use policy is basically just "We throttle person to person (P2P) file sharing during peak periods and the user experience on P2P is on a best-effort basis​."

Regarding 6. Mail server, SMTP port 25 is blocked, you will have to use port 587

I should note that I'm using Maxis Fibre on Maxis Infra, which is kinda rare, most people will be on TM Infra, which is slower.
Eg: I get about 38Mbps max on my 30Mbps plan on Maxis Infra, but someone else using 30Mbps on TM Infra will never see higher than 28Mbps.
This is TM to blame, not Maxis.

This post has been edited by PRSXFENG: Jun 1 2021, 11:36 AM
delaciox
post Jun 10 2021, 10:29 PM

Getting Started
184 posts

1) Netflix
I din't use, no comment

2) youtube
no problem, with family have 3 pc use youtube 1080p no lag.

3) Torrenting
i use custom router, and ready public ip and upnp, software use qbit so far no problem

100mbps, download can full speed

dota2 i always play, ping 15ms-30ms

6) Can still get a public IP? I have cctv and my own DDNS & email server so this is a sticking point for me.
it cctv run p2p, so you must have public ip.

7) Can still use your own router? I have my own custom home network setup with an Asus AC88 router. no interest in changing to some shitty isp router.
can use own custom router

now it connected long time also no dc
pppoe already connect 6 days

user posted image

This post has been edited by delaciox: Jun 10 2021, 10:29 PM
TSBaronVonchesto
post Jun 13 2021, 11:32 PM

Getting Started
101 posts

Thanks for all the replies especially @PRSXFENG and @delaciox

I will only be able to get TM infra connection. That said, it is TM infra up to the metropolitan gateway, or at worst, up to the international exchange. TM infra isn't too bad, but they oversubscribe customers, have packet shaping and lousy routing.

Moving to a different ISP that is better managed should see an improvement even though the last mile is TM. I would LOVE to go for time broadband, but they will never come to landed properties.

If more people with TM infra maxis fibre can reply I'd appreciate it.
PRSXFENG
post Jun 14 2021, 07:48 AM

Regular
1,760 posts

Check if your area has Allo City Broadband by any chance? (mainly Ipoh area), they're basically TNB as an ISP
You could say their the landed equivalent of TIME
boxsystem
post Jun 14 2021, 09:02 AM

Legend
1,573 posts

QUOTE(BaronVonchesto @ May 31 2021, 05:28 PM)
Im considering moving from Unifi. not that im particularly unhappy (well it IS unifi, so its just that you are used to it lah).

however id like to upgrade my plan and seeing that unifi is so much more expensive than maxis, Im wondering how is it now in 2021? It used to be really awful in the past (2012-2013). How is it now for:

1) Netflix
No issue for me even with 4K streaming
2) youtube
Again, no issue for me even with 4K streaming
3) Torrenting
I dont do torrenting anymore, so no comment on this
Able to download games at fast speed. So far I am getting around 30-40 MB/s due to on wifi connection and not on LAN.
Only MMO gaming I am playing right now is Mobile Legend and at times DOTA, ping seems OK. No issue.
You can, you just need to email and request for this. I did for mine, got it in 24hrs time.
Definitely can, I am an ASUS user myself. Again, no problem for me.

Any traffic shaping or throttling? whats their (un)fair usage policy like?
I am using 800Mbps on TM Infra and staying Nilai. So far so good for me.
TSBaronVonchesto
post Jun 15 2021, 12:19 AM

Getting Started
101 posts

QUOTE(PRSXFENG @ Jun 14 2021, 07:48 AM)
Check if your area has Allo City Broadband by any chance? (mainly Ipoh area), they're basically TNB as an ISP
You could say their the landed equivalent of TIME
afriad not. they are focusing on expanding to areas where Unifi isnt available currently. makes sense really. That means i have to use TM infra for my fibre broadband
ad2000
post Jun 15 2021, 08:28 AM

Casual
374 posts

QUOTE(BaronVonchesto @ Jun 13 2021, 11:32 PM)
Thanks for all the replies especially @PRSXFENG and @delaciox

I will only be able to get TM infra connection. That said, it is TM infra up to the metropolitan gateway, or at worst, up to the international exchange. TM infra isn't too bad, but they oversubscribe customers, have packet shaping and lousy routing.

Moving to a different ISP that is better managed should see an improvement even though the last mile is TM. I would LOVE to go for time broadband, but they will never come to landed properties.

If more people with TM infra maxis fibre can reply I'd appreciate it.
Previously was on unifi 500mbs package switched to maxis fibre 300mbs TM infra. Speed and stabity miles better even though now only on 300mbs. Now 3rd year subscribed to maxis
delaciox
post Jun 16 2021, 10:24 AM

Getting Started
184 posts

QUOTE(ad2000 @ Jun 15 2021, 08:28 AM)
Previously was on unifi 500mbs package switched to maxis fibre 300mbs TM infra. Speed and stabity miles better even though now only on 300mbs. Now 3rd year subscribed to maxis
now day connected 12 days still haven't DC. bruce.gif bruce.gif bruce.gif

user posted image
lowck
post Jun 21 2021, 12:59 PM

Getting Started
127 posts

QUOTE(PRSXFENG @ Jun 1 2021, 11:32 AM)
Let's see
1. I don't use Netflix so no comment
2. I don't have any issues, maybe a buffer from time to time.
3. Seems fine, they say they can throttle when network is under high load but I use a VPN and so far have not faced slowdowns.
4. Reaches expected speeds, with that said my laptop is running on a slow HDD.
5. way better than Unifi, see threads in the Network and Broadband forum, so many complains about ping and routing for Unifi.
6. Yes, however you are on Private IP by default, you will have to ask CS to change your account to Public IP, no costs.
7. Yes, however you will lose the VOIP Phone, due to it connecting to stock router and not modem like Unifi, there are ways to use the stock router as dumb device solely for the VOIP Phone.

Unsure on traffic shaping or throttling, fair use policy is basically just "We throttle person to person (P2P) file sharing during peak periods and the user experience on P2P is on a best-effort basis​."

Regarding 6. Mail server, SMTP port 25 is blocked, you will have to use port 587

I should note that I'm using Maxis Fibre on Maxis Infra, which is kinda rare, most people will be on TM Infra, which is slower.
Eg: I get about 38Mbps max on my 30Mbps plan on Maxis Infra, but someone else using 30Mbps on TM Infra will never see higher than 28Mbps.
This is TM to blame, not Maxis.
can show ur speedtest? tm infra maximum 28.5mbps only
PRSXFENG
post Jun 21 2021, 02:06 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(lowck @ Jun 21 2021, 12:59 PM)
can show ur speedtest? tm infra maximum 28.5mbps only
https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/7457679065

user posted image
lowck
post Jun 21 2021, 02:15 PM

Getting Started
127 posts

QUOTE(PRSXFENG @ Jun 21 2021, 02:06 PM)
41mbps upload speed so crazy if unifi infra 100mbps upload just get43.5mbps maximum
hope maxis can expand their infrastruction
muhammadnajmi96
post Jun 26 2021, 11:09 PM

Getting Started
227 posts

I've changed from Unifi to Maxis for about 2 years now (my maxis contract soon expired yeayy). Overall performance is similar to Unifi. In these 2 years, never have downtime so my backup maxis one prime has never been used.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0244sec    0.26    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:13 AM