Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Wifi keeps disconnecting

views

TSFaivon
post May 17 2021, 02:13 PM, updated 3y ago

Getting Started
270 posts

There is this one Laptop that connects to the same wifi that I'm using and it keeps disconnecting at random intervals and when it does connects, the laptop can barely loads any website.
I already update the Windows to the latest version, AP to the latest version and Modem firmware to the latest version, also reinstall the wifi driver on the laptop but it keeps on disconnecting on random intervals.

I already run out of ideas what might be the problem. Other devices like my laptop and my mobile devices are just fine
laksamana
post May 17 2021, 02:18 PM

Regular
1,280 posts

Google up "How to flush device DNS", this might help

Also, "forget" all Wi-fi names on the laptop, then rejoin the network

What model adapter is the laptop using ?? What router are you using ??

Otherwise, it's quite hard to pinpoint what is the actual problem / solution, as it may be hardware-related
HonMun
post May 17 2021, 02:23 PM

Professor
1,050 posts

Disable intel software, use windows to manage wifi
waghyu
post May 17 2021, 02:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,389 posts

QUOTE(Faivon @ May 17 2021, 02:13 PM)
There is this one Laptop that connects to the same wifi that I'm using and it keeps disconnecting at random intervals and when it does connects, the laptop can barely loads any website.
I already update the Windows to the latest version, AP to the latest version and Modem firmware to the latest version, also reinstall the wifi driver on the laptop but it keeps on disconnecting on random intervals.

I already run out of ideas what might be the problem. Other devices like my laptop and my mobile devices are just fine
get USB wifi dongle, or replace the existing pcie wifi card inside the laptop.
RectangleX
post May 17 2021, 02:55 PM

On my way
642 posts

QUOTE(Faivon @ May 17 2021, 02:13 PM)

What are the name and model of your internal WiFi adapter? Change the WiFi channel on your router might help. And sometimes, using the latest driver doesn't always means better, try downgrading the driver to previous older version and do a scan on your computer for malware that could be the culprit of the random disconnections.
RectangleX
post May 17 2021, 10:04 PM

On my way
642 posts

Also, check the black and white cables whether they are connected correctly (not reversed) on the WiFi card.

user posted image

1024kbps
post May 18 2021, 02:03 AM

李素裳
5,781 posts

If you connected to 2.4GHz, and keep disconnecting, too much electromagnetic interference around you, 2.4GHz wifi usually unusable if you life in a neighborhood with tons of 2.4GHz AP.

If 5GHz, your adapter or router need a 5GHz antenna.

You can either get repeater (might be slower), Homeplug, or setup a wifi bridge if you have spare router.

I've tried a lot of wifi adapter, basically nothing beats the performance of wifi bridge.
Expensive wifi adapter still sucks compares to it
https://www.asus.com/sg/support/FAQ/1043884/
TSFaivon
post May 19 2021, 02:19 PM

Getting Started
270 posts

Flush DNS didn't help at long run. Infact, sometimes it work sometimes not but I can't keep doing this forever

The wifi adapter is the default one from Asus I guess.

Also no intel software installed.

I haven't tried changing that channel, I'll try that later. It happens to my friends laptop who connect to the same wifi too so yeah, maybe router or AP problem
1024kbps
post May 19 2021, 06:06 PM

李素裳
5,781 posts

You keep telling us your problem without mentioning your hardware eg laptop model, router spec, what band and channel, no one would be able to help you,

Wifi disconnection has nothing to do with DNS, you troubleshooting in the wrong way.
TSFaivon
post May 20 2021, 07:55 PM

Getting Started
270 posts

Sorry, my bad. It is Lenovo Yoga C640.

Router is Netgear Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR300

Uhh not sure about band and channel but pretty sure I set it to auto switch between 2.4Ghz / 5Ghz

Also using Acccess Point Ubiquiti AC Pro
1024kbps
post May 20 2021, 08:48 PM

李素裳
5,781 posts

QUOTE(Faivon @ May 20 2021, 07:55 PM)
Sorry, my bad. It is Lenovo Yoga C640.

Router is Netgear Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR300

Uhh not sure about band and channel but pretty sure I set it to auto switch between 2.4Ghz / 5Ghz

Also using Acccess Point Ubiquiti AC Pro
you can read my previous post https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...ost&p=100966537
dont set it to auto switch, i dont think it's seamless, expensive stuff you got there, but does not seems worth it lol

anyway, 2.4GHz wifi is okay-ish for normal usage, heavy use or behind a few walls will affect the performance.
while 5GHz has less interference but less penetrative power.

You probably need to move AP closer to you or you might need thise https://www.dlink.com.sg/product/ac1200-av1...er-starter-kit/

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0140sec    0.22    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:47 PM