Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Mobile Phone vs DAP for Hifi System

views

TSryder_78
post May 12 2021, 03:17 PM, updated 3y ago

Regular
1,558 posts

I was wondering if anyone who has a hifi system at home has compared mobile phones to dedicated DAPs from the likes of FIIO, Sony, Shanling etc. as a source in a speaker-based system. If yes, solely in areas of sound quality, is there a significant difference between the DAP and phone?

A more complicated matter is the connection of the phone/DAP to the audio system. There are 2 ways of connection:-
1) Phone/DAP connected to the audio amplifier. With this connection, the internal DAC of the phone or DAP is utilised.
2) Phone/DAP connected to an external DAC, and the DAC is connected to the amplifier. With this connection, the internal DAC of the phone/DAP is bypassed(if this feature is available on the phone or DAP since the devices only need to output the digital signal to the DAC).

For the connection in (1) above, it is fairly straightforward as the 3.5mm to RCA cable can be used to connect between the phone/DAC and amp. However, for connection (2) above, I'm not so sure as not all phones or DAPs can output a digital signal? I'm not sure if the digital signal can be output via 3.5mm headphone jack of the phone or DAP. If not, can the digital signal from the phone or DAP be output from the USB Type-C of the device? If yes, then a USB Type-C to Type-B cable is used to connect the phone/DAP to the DAC?

Does anybody have any clue or experience on the above?
SUSalibaba5263
post May 13 2021, 01:18 PM

Getting Started
54 posts

Pm

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0114sec    0.37    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:52 AM