Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> rewiring, new DB, add DB

views

stormer.lyn
post May 9 2022, 05:57 PM

Enthusiast
741 posts

QUOTE(lawrencehl @ May 8 2022, 10:03 PM)
Ok noted, I plan to add a MAXGUARD SPD CLASS 2 as well, should be good enough to protect from lighting strike right? My unit located at top floor of 20years 5 storey old apartment.
I would like to assure you that an SPD can protect from lightning strike damage, but the truth is no one can. It's all a matter of luck; with an SPD you may have better luck, without you may have worse luck. Or it may not even be true at all, because lightning damage is absolutely unpredictable.

Let me also add a picture to show you what I see
user posted image
lawrencehl
post May 9 2022, 09:10 PM

Casual
341 posts

QUOTE(stormer.lyn @ May 9 2022, 05:57 PM)
I would like to assure you that an SPD can protect from lightning strike damage, but the truth is no one can. It's all a matter of luck; with an SPD you may have better luck, without you may have worse luck. Or it may not even be true at all, because lightning damage is absolutely unpredictable.

Let me also add a picture to show you what I see
user posted image
oh, so a SPD just a risk reducer not eliminate...
Isolator I will replace it as well since it is not expensive and will make sure the electrician connect everything correctly.

I'm going to add new point so will have new MCB, all top row MCB is connected thru copper bar but now new MCB will be at the bottom row so what is the proper connection method will be?
stormer.lyn
post May 9 2022, 09:27 PM

Enthusiast
741 posts

QUOTE(lawrencehl @ May 9 2022, 09:10 PM)
oh, so a SPD just a risk reducer not eliminate...
Ah, well, lighting has hundreds of millions++ Joules of energy in every strike....
Isolator I will replace it as well since it is not expensive and will make sure the electrician connect everything correctly.
I recommend you change everything, because age can be a factor for failure of a device.
I'm going to add new point so will have new MCB, all top row MCB is connected thru copper bar but now new MCB will be at the bottom row so what is the proper connection method will be?
No special connection method. The busbar for the top row, and the busbar for the bottom row, connected together with a fairly thick wire, of say 16 mm² to 25 mm²
lawrencehl
post May 9 2022, 09:47 PM

Casual
341 posts

QUOTE(stormer.lyn @ May 9 2022, 09:27 PM)
Ah, well, lighting has hundreds of millions++ Joules of energy in every strike....
I recommend you change everything, because age can be a factor for failure of a device.

No special connection method. The busbar for the top row, and the busbar for the bottom row, connected together with a fairly thick wire, of say 16 mm² to 25 mm²
Ok noted, thanks for the advice!!!

Your advice is to change all then the MCB should I reduce to 16A as your suggestion previously? Aircond point remain 20a?

This post has been edited by lawrencehl: May 9 2022, 10:13 PM
spreeeee
post Dec 1 2022, 08:09 AM

♠ . ♥ . ♣ . ♦
3,755 posts

hi all sifus.. may i know what is the market rate for pulling a new cable from mcb box to the backyard wet kitchen? here is the info:

-wiring length around 15feet
-to add new mcb/fuse for this new wiring
-the new wiring is going to drop into existing wall socket

was quoted rm500 for the parts and workmanship, is this ok?
mini orchard
post Dec 1 2022, 09:04 AM

10k Club
All Stars
13,913 posts

QUOTE(spreeeee @ Dec 1 2022, 08:09 AM)
hi all sifus.. may i know what is the market rate for pulling a new cable from mcb box to the backyard wet kitchen? here is the info:

Get anorher quote or two to compare.

If you are calling someone from kepong to go to cheras, then is fair esp if the contacts from social media adverts.

If is within same area, in my opinion can nego lower.
nihility
post Dec 1 2022, 09:52 AM

Regular
1,252 posts

I find it expensive. For the renovation with *volume, usually it should be around RM 120-140/point.

Your case is slightly different. You don't have the volume but only 1 point. For 1 point, the contractor may charge you the opportunity cost lost to carry out the work ( if they send their worker somewhere else, they can generate more productive revenue). If you can't get any friendly neighborhood technician/ contractor to help you to pull, you may have to close 1 eye to accept the price.

Why don't you visit your nearby area hardware shop & ask try to the hardware shop for the electrician contacts.
spreeeee
post Dec 1 2022, 09:56 AM

♠ . ♥ . ♣ . ♦
3,755 posts

QUOTE(mini orchard @ Dec 1 2022, 09:04 AM)
Get anorher quote or two to compare.

If you are calling someone from kepong to go to cheras, then is fair esp if the contacts from social media adverts.

If is within same area, in my opinion can nego lower.
thanks for feedback

QUOTE(nihility @ Dec 1 2022, 09:52 AM)
I find it expensive. For the renovation with *volume, usually it should be around RM 120-140/point.

Your case is slightly different. You don't have the volume but only 1 point. For 1 point, the contractor may charge you the opportunity cost lost to carry out the work ( if they send their worker somewhere else, they can generate more productive revenue). If you can't get any friendly neighborhood technician/ contractor to help you to pull, you may have to close 1 eye to accept the price.

Why don't you visit your nearby area hardware shop & ask try to the hardware shop for the electrician contacts.
thanks for feedback.
the rm500 quote was from neighbourhood.. as u said.. it is just one-off-one-point work.. we need to bear with their time spent as well biggrin.gif

anyway will survey with surrounding hardware/electrical shop..

This post has been edited by spreeeee: Dec 1 2022, 09:57 AM
stormer.lyn
post Dec 1 2022, 09:46 PM

Enthusiast
741 posts

The main question is concealed wiring or not? Not concealed you will be able to get cheaper than that, should be in the 200 - 250 range.

If concealed, does it include making good the concealment? If yes then RM 500 is fair once you include the plastering, skimming, painting, ceiling work, etc. Concealed, but without making good should be in the RM 350 range.

Remember this is a one off job, and also that the prices I wrote are a rough guide only.
(If I were quoting you for this, I would be about 20% less than what I wrote, but then my customers who have become my friends always say I charge too little)
sonerin
post Dec 5 2022, 10:17 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,690 posts

QUOTE(spreeeee @ Dec 1 2022, 09:56 AM)
thanks for feedback
thanks for feedback.
the rm500 quote was from neighbourhood.. as u said.. it is just one-off-one-point work.. we need to bear with their time spent as well biggrin.gif

anyway will survey with surrounding hardware/electrical shop..
That is cheap
bereev
post Dec 12 2022, 01:40 PM

Getting Started
247 posts

sorry to hijack thread since this thread about housing electrical i believe many sifu in here , I need recomendation of electrician at Puchong Perdana area , a 25 years old landed house need to check or redo earthing point

5 Pages « < 3 4 5Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0126sec    0.22    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:34 PM