Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Is it possible for someone to get your Ip Address?, need to know

views

TSFrancesco
post Sep 2 2007, 03:27 AM, updated 17y ago

Getting Started
171 posts

Is it possible for someone to get your ip address??Is that the Ip address fixed once u connected to internet??but,for my case once disconnect for a while and reconnect again...the Ip address would changed.. for example,im using streamyx broadband sometimes will get 60.xxx.xxx and sometimes i get 12x.xxx.xxx......why?? hmm.gif So,can i say that my Ip address is not fixed and peoples are very hard to identify me??i wan to understand it...thx!

This post has been edited by Francesco: Sep 2 2007, 03:30 AM
nabachi
post Sep 2 2007, 04:19 AM

23 posts

QUOTE(Francesco @ Sep 2 2007, 03:27 AM)
Is it possible for someone to get your ip address??Is that the Ip address fixed once u connected to internet??but,for my case once disconnect for a while and reconnect again...the Ip address would changed.. for example,im using streamyx broadband sometimes will get 60.xxx.xxx and sometimes i get 12x.xxx.xxx......why?? hmm.gif So,can i say that my Ip address is not fixed and peoples are very hard to identify me??i wan to understand it...thx!
Yep. it is possible to get your ip address. Your ip address is chanigng becuase the streamyx is using DHCP service(dynamic host configuration protocol). If your ip address remains the same, it is called static ip's. Normally, every isp will maintain logs to examine it later if someone reports them a mallicilous activity by an ip. They will be able to trace you by this log files. It will have the ip address, user name, connected time...etc. so this means that they can trace you to your phone line and finnaly to your house. its as simple as that.

cheers

fiqir
post Sep 2 2007, 08:41 AM

BE YOURSELF
3,810 posts

yes, their can get ur IP address
wizardjimmy
post Sep 2 2007, 10:07 AM

8 posts

QUOTE(nabachi @ Sep 2 2007, 04:19 AM)
Yep. it is possible to get your ip address. Your ip address is chanigng becuase the streamyx is using DHCP service(dynamic host configuration protocol). If your ip address remains the same, it is called static ip's. Normally, every isp will maintain logs to examine it later if someone reports them a mallicilous activity by an ip. They will be able to trace you by this log files. It will have the ip address, user name, connected time...etc. so this means that they can trace you to your phone line and finnaly to your house. its as simple as that.

cheers
like what nabachi said.....but if you plan to host a private server for games...(let's say ragnarok)..then you need a static ip address...you can get them in two ways....

1. From the ISP provider...but it's a very expensive way to get ip address

2. http://www.no-ip.com/getting_started.php <-- this is a service provided by the company so that you can run the server from home...even if it is dynamic ip address
birain
post Sep 2 2007, 12:17 PM

良い一日を
1,448 posts

if your intention of doing fraud, becareful because all ip are log and track and if someone reports you,you dead meat.
TSFrancesco
post Sep 2 2007, 12:48 PM

Getting Started
171 posts

QUOTE(nabachi @ Sep 2 2007, 04:19 AM)

cheers
so,that means DHCP service will always changing your Ip address?it is not a static Ip?So,can i say that 'they' will not be able to trace you coz your Ip address is keep on changing and not the same if using DHCP service? hmm.gif
birain
post Sep 2 2007, 04:21 PM

良い一日を
1,448 posts

you still can be trace even you keep changing ip-lah
TSFrancesco
post Sep 2 2007, 06:44 PM

Getting Started
171 posts

QUOTE(birain @ Sep 2 2007, 04:21 PM)
you still can be trace even you keep changing ip-lah
how leh?i mean i check my Ip address(after connected to internet) at http://www.ip-adress.com sometimes i get the Ip address city at Shah Alarm and sometimes i get at Batu Arang even N.Sembilan..actually,i wan to ask is it possible for someone identify who you are(keep ip changing)?for example like forum...the member account that u registered,is it will get a fixed Ip address for ur own account? hmm.gif

This post has been edited by Francesco: Sep 2 2007, 06:46 PM
prasys
post Sep 2 2007, 08:15 PM

Heros Never Die
Group Icon
VIP
12,925 posts

In fact yeah don't worry. Certain site logs your IP Address , all forums have your IP Address logged. Only moderators and Administrators can see it (your IP Address that is).

Usually Residential DSL comes along with 1 Dynamic IP Address (unless you have opt'ed for a Static IP). What does it mean ?. It means that your IP Address isn't static at all and it changes from time to time. In layman's terms , 'if you're being ddosed , bam just disconnect and reconnect..voila you are safe'*

Okay , now back to your 2nd question. Can you be traced ?. Sure , it does not matter. Any site you go or any place you step your foot on the Internet , people will have your IP Address. It does not matter if you use somesort of proxy or whatever you cannot have 100% anonymity in the Internet.

You may say 'But my IP Address is Dynamic meh..sure ppl cannot hack me wan'

Your assumption is wrong. IP Address can be traced. For example , if you have abused a free service and think that you got away safely because you have changed 50 IPs for the past 30 seconds (fine its a metaphor..but still). Think again. Its because the site owner has your IP Address logged and he can simply 'forward' it to your ISP Complain Line (aka abuse). They will then later process the information sent by the site owner and then The ISP can trace out who logged in at that upon of time. By knowing your login ID , the ISP knows your home address , IC Number and things like that. Its simple as that (That is what nabachi has expained earlier)

There you go , I hope you understand

rajulkabir
post Sep 3 2007, 04:56 AM

Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,428 posts

Someone can get your IP address under many different circumstances. If you visit their web site they have your IP address. In some cases, they get it if you are using IM and do a file transfer or voice/video messaging. There are other ways to disclose it as well. In general you should assume your IP address is public knowledge.

Of course you can normally change it by disconnecting and reconnecting your Streamyx (or just off your modem for a few seconds). But as soon as you start using the internet you will start spreading your new IP around again.
Eoma
post Sep 3 2007, 11:27 AM

- ,. -
Group Icon
Elite
4,601 posts

QUOTE(Francesco @ Sep 2 2007, 06:44 PM)
how leh?i mean i check my Ip address(after connected to internet) at http://www.ip-adress.com sometimes i get the Ip address city at Shah Alarm and sometimes i get at Batu Arang even N.Sembilan..actually,i wan to ask is it possible for someone identify who you are(keep ip changing)?for example like forum...the member account that u registered,is it will get a fixed Ip address for ur own account? hmm.gif
Those sites which map IP address to location are trivial at best. Best not to proclaim them as the holy truth.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0170sec    0.42    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:26 PM