Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Gpu temp 95c, Asus strix gaming 1060 6gb

views

TSken_hidaibuki
post Apr 30 2021, 10:56 PM, updated 5d ago

Getting Started
236 posts

Hello all master and legend. I wanna ask. After i send my pc to my friend shop for deep cleaning,, my gpu asus strix gaming 1060 6gb is acting weird. I stress tested using furmark at 1080p the gpu temp gone up to 95c and start to stutterd. Previously the high temp was only around 70 ~ 80c only. Does my gpu gone bad or anything i can do to make it better again?

Thanks in advance.
post Apr 30 2021, 11:52 PM

Casual
371 posts

May be possible that the gpu thermal pad/paste wasn't apply correctly which resulted in poor heat transfer to the heatsink.
TSken_hidaibuki
post Apr 30 2021, 11:52 PM

Getting Started
236 posts

QUOTE(11768 @ Apr 30 2021, 11:52 PM)
May be possible that the gpu thermal pad/paste wasn't apply correctly which resulted in poor heat transfer to the heatsink.
Could it be my gpu goin to die already?
TristanX
post May 1 2021, 12:26 AM

Where is my stars?
Group Icon
Elite
21,638 posts

QUOTE(ken_hidaibuki @ Apr 30 2021, 11:52 PM)
Could it be my gpu goin to die already?
No. Probably thermal paste application is off. Check the GPU fan. Check the casing fans as well.

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut will get the job done for the replacement. Remember to clean the old paste with Isopropyl Alcohol 99%.
TSken_hidaibuki
post May 1 2021, 01:21 AM

Getting Started
236 posts

QUOTE(TristanX @ May 1 2021, 12:26 AM)
No. Probably thermal paste application is off. Check the GPU fan. Check the casing fans as well.

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut will get the job done for the replacement. Remember to clean the old paste with Isopropyl Alcohol 99%.
Just purchase cooler master mastergel regular.. Any tought on this thermal paste master tristanx? Hopefully it can reduce my gpu temp.
TristanX
post May 1 2021, 01:42 AM

Where is my stars?
Group Icon
Elite
21,638 posts

QUOTE(ken_hidaibuki @ May 1 2021, 01:21 AM)
Just purchase cooler master mastergel regular.. Any tought on this thermal paste master tristanx? Hopefully it can reduce my gpu temp.
Nope. Should've checked reviews before buying.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/guru3...up_2019,12.html

Ignore Conductonaut. This one is conductive. It has risk applying it.

This post has been edited by TristanX: May 1 2021, 01:45 AM
TSken_hidaibuki
post May 1 2021, 05:27 AM

Getting Started
236 posts

QUOTE(TristanX @ May 1 2021, 01:42 AM)
Nope. Should've checked reviews before buying.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/guru3...up_2019,12.html

Ignore Conductonaut. This one is conductive. It has risk applying it.
No good at all?? Haiya...
chocobo7779
post May 1 2021, 07:41 AM

Power is nothing without control
All Stars
12,991 posts

QUOTE(ken_hidaibuki @ Apr 30 2021, 10:56 PM)
Hello all master and legend. I wanna ask. After i send my pc to my friend shop for deep cleaning,, my gpu asus strix gaming 1060 6gb is acting weird. I stress tested using furmark at 1080p the gpu temp gone up to 95c and start to stutterd. Previously the high temp was only around 70 ~ 80c only. Does my gpu gone bad or anything i can do to make it better again?

Thanks in advance.
Note that Furmark is a highly synthetic load test that sometimes stresses the GPU beyond its limits, and they should not be used to represent real world GPU loads icon_idea.gif

Use something like Superposition benchmark instead of Furmark if you want a real world stress test icon_idea.gif
TSken_hidaibuki
post May 1 2021, 07:58 AM

Getting Started
236 posts

QUOTE(chocobo7779 @ May 1 2021, 07:41 AM)
Note that Furmark is a highly synthetic load test that sometimes stresses the GPU beyond its limits, and they should not be used to represent real world GPU loads icon_idea.gif

Use something like Superposition benchmark instead of Furmark if you want a real world stress test icon_idea.gif
I tried running tropico 6.. After thegame load. Gpu temp increase upto 95c.. Then i fast fast close the game.. Maybe its what TristanX suggest. Poor thermal paste conductivity. Will update result as i reapply the thermal paste
1024kbps
post May 1 2021, 10:13 AM

HEIZE IS MY SAVIOR
5,265 posts

QUOTE(ken_hidaibuki @ May 1 2021, 07:58 AM)
I tried running tropico 6.. After thegame load. Gpu temp increase upto 95c.. Then i fast fast close the game.. Maybe its what TristanX suggest. Poor thermal paste conductivity. Will update result as i reapply the thermal paste
You misunderstood TristanX , Conductonaut is conductive, if you applied too much and it spill to other part of your GPU, your gpu will fry.
No need to get top end thermalpaste... good one lile Noctual NT-H2 is enough, other similar paste is enough, the grey colored one are less prone to harden than white one.

Reapply and test your GPU again, make sure the screws on the back of the bracket are tighten and no gap between GPU die and heatsink, remember dont over tighten as the tiny screw can be easily damaged.
TristanX
post May 1 2021, 10:55 AM

Where is my stars?
Group Icon
Elite
21,638 posts

QUOTE(ken_hidaibuki @ May 1 2021, 05:27 AM)
No good at all?? Haiya...
You already bought it. Just try it out first.

QUOTE(chocobo7779 @ May 1 2021, 07:41 AM)

Its Strix cooler. It should be able to handle Furmark.

How to repaste a graphic card?

This post has been edited by TristanX: May 1 2021, 11:01 AM
Skylinestar
post May 1 2021, 11:13 AM

Mega Duck
9,223 posts

for thermal paste application on the gpu, make sure you don't do the dot/pea/rice method. spread it evenly before putting on the heatsink.

also make sure the fans are actually turning.
TSken_hidaibuki
post May 1 2021, 11:14 AM

Getting Started
236 posts

QUOTE(1024kbps @ May 1 2021, 10:13 AM)
You misunderstood TristanX , Conductonaut is conductive, if you applied too much and it spill to other part of your GPU, your gpu will fry.
No need to get top end thermalpaste... good one lile Noctual NT-H2 is enough, other similar paste is enough, the grey colored one are less prone to harden than white one.

Reapply and test your GPU again, make sure the screws on the back of the bracket are tighten and no gap between GPU die and heatsink, remember dont over tighten as the tiny screw can be easily damaged.
Noted. Thanks for your advices. I think i grasp what TristanX told is not to use conductonout.
TSken_hidaibuki
post May 1 2021, 11:15 AM

Getting Started
236 posts

QUOTE(TristanX @ May 1 2021, 10:55 AM)
You already bought it. Just try it out first.
Its Strix cooler. It should be able to handle Furmark.

How to repaste a graphic card?

Later i update. Since the item still not arrive.
TSken_hidaibuki
post May 1 2021, 11:16 AM

Getting Started
236 posts

QUOTE(Skylinestar @ May 1 2021, 11:13 AM)
for thermal paste application on the gpu, make sure you don't do the dot/pea/rice method. spread it evenly before putting on the heatsink.

also make sure the fans are actually turning.
Fan no problems. I suspect my friend use cheapo thermal paste..
Skylinestar
post May 1 2021, 11:24 AM

Mega Duck
9,223 posts

QUOTE(ken_hidaibuki @ May 1 2021, 11:16 AM)
Fan no problems. I suspect my friend use cheapo thermal paste..
thermal paste makes not much difference unless you use those super cheap one that came in a KFC tomato sachet. the real difference is when the paste ages, like 5 years later, where some will turn quite hard while some are still gluey.

u get 95°c while gaming. that is an extremely worrying temp. better remove cooler, check paste application, and reinstall back cooler. make sure you tighten the cooler screw in a zig zag fashion to ensure equal torque and heatsink pressure.

cheap: tongue.gif
user posted image

This post has been edited by Skylinestar: May 1 2021, 11:27 AM
TSken_hidaibuki
post May 1 2021, 12:07 PM

Getting Started
236 posts

QUOTE(Skylinestar @ May 1 2021, 11:24 AM)
thermal paste makes not much difference unless you use those super cheap one that came in a KFC tomato sachet. the real difference is when the paste ages, like 5 years later, where some will turn quite hard while some are still gluey.

u get 95°c while gaming. that is an extremely worrying temp. better remove cooler, check paste application, and reinstall back cooler. make sure you tighten the cooler screw in a zig zag fashion to ensure equal torque and heatsink pressure.

cheap:  tongue.gif
user posted image
Noted boss. Will try it later.. RN waiting ninja van to drop off my parcel
joedpa82
post May 1 2021, 12:13 PM

Casual
461 posts

QUOTE(ken_hidaibuki @ Apr 30 2021, 11:56 PM)

Thanks in advance.
Thermal pad
Bonchi
post May 1 2021, 12:19 PM

KittehPowah
1,364 posts

@ts, if he replaced the thermal pad, it might also because he used ones that are too thick.

QUOTE(TristanX @ May 1 2021, 12:26 AM)

I feel thermal grizzly kryonaut is massively overated, i got better temps with mx4... after researching, it seems kryonaut will cure and harden above 80C as well, so ought to check... that said, kryonaut is designed for custom watercooling setup and LN2.
TSken_hidaibuki
post May 4 2021, 07:03 PM

Getting Started
236 posts

Update.. After opening my gpu. All the thermal paste already harden. I scrap all those harden thermal paste then clean all the residue using alcohol swab. Apply the cooler master master gel regular.. After that i run furmark at 1080p. Max temp clock at 72c. Alot better.. Thanks for all of your advices..

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0226sec    0.97    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 9th May 2021 - 10:11 AM