Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Anxious because jobless

views

TSFlierMate
post Apr 30 2021, 01:45 AM, updated 3y ago

On my way
Validating
543 posts

Recently I have great stress because of insecurity financially.

It causes me sleep problems and eyeball nerve pain.

I admit it helps by reading article on how to managing stress, but it is only temporarily.

As a person close to 45, my choice of job is very narrow if compared to 18-30, or 25-40 age group.

I started to post in service noticeboard and job enlistment as freelancer for hire, but it still doesn't help, probably no one will notice and use my service.

Does anyone have any insight to manage my stress? I mean having income is certainly a cure, but I see no light in the tunnel, as my skillset and physical strength are somewhat limited, not suitable for blue collar or white collar, but maybe in the middle, e.g, outdoor dispatching a bit, indoor clerical work a bit.

My father is a retiree and he wants me to work...... this is the source of stress. I do not have savings either.

Is anyone in the same boat?

This post has been edited by FlierMate: Apr 30 2021, 01:46 AM
john123x
post Apr 30 2021, 01:53 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,850 posts

not only you, lots of peoples got retrenched or terminated, and are jobless too.

and you have no savings? how this is possible?

assuming you start work at 25, you should have at least work for over 20 years.

This post has been edited by john123x: Apr 30 2021, 01:54 AM
john123x
post Apr 30 2021, 01:59 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,850 posts

while your jobless, try and earn some credit card/ewallet cash back pocket money?
TSFlierMate
post Apr 30 2021, 02:04 AM

On my way
Validating
543 posts

QUOTE(john123x @ Apr 30 2021, 01:53 AM)
not only you, lots of peoples got retrenched or terminated, and are jobless too.

and you have no savings? how this is possible?

assuming you start work at 25, you should have at least work for over 20 years.
As the malay saying goes 'kais pagi, makan pagi, kais petang, makan petang'.

My salary is RM 1450 average, no matter in 2002 or 2021. Maybe because I have diploma only.

Really, not enough for myself. Luckily no wife no kids. And I ride motorcycle .

I see lots of people also jobless, but hopefully they can get a new job in the future....
lordgamer3
post Apr 30 2021, 02:52 AM

On my way
613 posts

QUOTE(FlierMate @ Apr 30 2021, 01:45 AM)
Recently I have great stress because of insecurity financially.

It causes me sleep problems and eyeball nerve pain.

I admit it helps by reading article on how to managing stress, but it is only temporarily.

As a person close to 45, my choice of job is very narrow if compared to 18-30, or 25-40 age group.

I started to post in service noticeboard and job enlistment as freelancer for hire, but it still doesn't help, probably no one will notice and use my service.

Does anyone have any insight to manage my stress? I mean having income is certainly a cure, but I see no light in the tunnel, as my skillset and physical strength are somewhat limited, not suitable for blue collar or white collar, but maybe in the middle, e.g, outdoor dispatching a bit, indoor clerical work a bit.

My father is a retiree and he wants me to work...... this is the source of stress. I do not have savings either.

Is anyone in the same boat?
How about a career in sales/insurance or private driver? Depends what kind of income you expecting le. However i wish the best for you i know how it feels like as i was there once. But if me laa i suggest try if possible apply for salesman for Msian car. Should be cukup makan as customer walk in banyak. Can make 3-5k a month i mean on commission le but still please dont give up and take care.
ichimonster
post Apr 30 2021, 02:58 AM

25 posts

I do not know how to advice, but I would say I am also in same boat as you. Because I believe a lot of out there is also jobless ( this including myself) but one thing I only could advice, start to learn new thing or skill.
Try put more focus on doing something, I have tried it does help me and give me sense of purpose. I can understand what you feeling right now because I am also have being felt it since the Covid start to hit at our country.

If you have a friend or person you trust and willing to talk with, go and talk (either through phone, video call, chat, forum). For me I manage to attend some training course or seminar and it does help to make me feel happy talking to someone new instead or family.

If you would like to learn new thing, you could go to elatih web site. this is government initiative for Malaysian citizen to upskill and reskill. I also have use it to learn new skill.

Well hope a bit of my advice and opinion will help you. Believe me you are not alone. And keep on trying to find a way out from current situation. I hope you will find success and answer to all your problem.
Noryume
post Apr 30 2021, 03:18 AM

Enthusiast
864 posts

QUOTE(ichimonster @ Apr 30 2021, 02:58 AM)
I do not know how to advice, but I would say I am also in same boat as you. Because I believe a lot of out there is also jobless ( this including myself) but one thing I only could advice, start to learn new thing or skill.
Try put more focus on doing something, I have tried it does help me and give me sense of purpose. I can understand what you feeling right now because I am also have being felt it since the Covid start to hit at our country.

If you have a friend or person you trust and willing to talk with, go and talk (either through phone, video call, chat, forum). For me I manage to attend some training course or seminar and it does help to make me feel happy talking to someone new instead or family.

If you would like to learn new thing, you could go to elatih web site. this is government initiative for Malaysian citizen to upskill and reskill. I also have use it to learn new skill.

Well hope a bit of my advice and opinion will help you. Believe me you are not alone. And keep on trying to find a way out from current situation. I hope you will find success and answer to all your problem.
Tell me more about the elatih. Seem good to learn about new things. Does this program give any ceritification? Is it well receive by the industries?

For Ts, why not join the delivery job as of grab food or courier services? Might earn more than you earn previously. Don't just sit around waiting for jobs to come. Try ask 7e, speedmart or hypermarket for vacancies.
NightHeart
post Apr 30 2021, 03:54 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,988 posts

QUOTE(FlierMate @ Apr 30 2021, 02:04 AM)

My salary is RM 1450 average, no matter in 2002 or 2021. Maybe because I have diploma only.

I see lots of people also jobless, but hopefully they can get a new job in the future....
If your salary has been averaging RM1.5k, try consider doing food rider for now just to close the gap in your cashflow. You should be able to make about that much. Then for long term purposes, consider getting a new skill. Ideally a skill that's related to your 20 years of work experience or else your many years of experience kinda wasted.
naughtyz
post Apr 30 2021, 04:00 AM

Regular
1,557 posts

QUOTE(FlierMate @ Apr 30 2021, 03:04 AM)

Get what ever job dapat, cannot be choosy now day, kena ada positive friends, negative friends always nk downkan what ever kita kerja, yg penting halal (muslim) dan tidak melanggar laws la kan, and fuck what people want to say la kan..
ichimonster
post Apr 30 2021, 10:57 AM

25 posts

QUOTE(Noryume @ Apr 30 2021, 03:18 AM)
Tell me more about the elatih. Seem good to learn about new things. Does this program give any ceritification? Is it well receive by the industries?

For Ts, why not join the delivery job as of grab food or courier services? Might earn more than you earn previously. Don't just sit around waiting for jobs to come. Try ask 7e, speedmart or hypermarket for vacancies.
elatih I not sure about the certification. But is elatih is like a platform for a collection of the other professional course that allowed you to attend and learn. I used it to my additional note and lab test for my Certified Associate of Python Programming but the course syllabus is by Microsoft.
kelvinfixx
post Apr 30 2021, 11:02 AM

Regular
1,502 posts

you are lucky to be single and have a bike, maybe food delivery?
Noryume
post Apr 30 2021, 11:03 AM

Enthusiast
864 posts

QUOTE(ichimonster @ Apr 30 2021, 10:57 AM)
elatih I not sure about the certification. But is elatih is like a platform for a collection of the other professional course that allowed you to attend and learn. I used it to my additional note and lab test for my Certified Associate of Python Programming but the course syllabus is by Microsoft.
Thanks.
sweet_pez
post Apr 30 2021, 11:06 AM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(FlierMate @ Apr 30 2021, 01:45 AM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

QUOTE(FlierMate @ Apr 30 2021, 02:04 AM)

Hey there, sorry to hear what you have to go through.

With your father being a retiree, someone has to work to keep the family going. What sort of freelance work are you talking about?

Rather than only posting in Svc Noticeboard and JE that you're available, proactively seek for jobs. Perhaps you need to know what sort of job you CAN do and start emailing relevant companies directly to pitch to them.

Additionally you can try getting part time over the weekend to support your family. Example as someone mentioned - as food delivery, or you can even try getting part time as a waiter or work in fast food chain. You get food, and you get to bring home some $.

Diploma or Degree is only a ticket into the workforce. You can move forward with a better pay grade when you move up the rank in the company, or when you jump ship to another company.

I'll also suggest you see a psychologist - the government hospital offers such service as well at reasonable/ low cost.
https://www.mypsychology.my/get-help-government-sectors-my/
Masculine
post Apr 30 2021, 11:15 AM

Regular
1,282 posts

kalau anda seorang muslim.... this is my advice...

I used to jobless back in 2000 for a year... and also 2011 for a year....
2011 is a killer... but give me perspective in live spiritually.... I started my regular daily prayer and additional night prayer... read the Quran... regularly and become regular face in my local surau.... this is somehow calm me inside and reduce my stress like 50%... mind you I have 3 school going children at this time....

then I got a job and closing on retirement next year... Alhamdulillah
TSFlierMate
post Apr 30 2021, 12:46 PM

On my way
Validating
543 posts

QUOTE(Noryume @ Apr 30 2021, 03:18 AM)
For Ts, why not join the delivery job as of grab food or courier services? .....Try ask 7e, speedmart or hypermarket for vacancies.
QUOTE(NightHeart @ Apr 30 2021, 03:54 AM)
.....try consider doing food rider for now just to close the gap in your cashflow......Then for long term purposes, consider getting a new skill. Ideally a skill that's related to your 20 years of work experience .......
QUOTE(kelvinfixx @ Apr 30 2021, 11:02 AM)
you are lucky to be single and have a bike, maybe food delivery?
Yeah, I have been a delivery rider for the past 4 years, for a coconut milk company, J&T and then car spare parts shops. Recently I start getting tired for picking and dropping off at far away location, and get peanut pay (RM 1200 basic salary, no commission), so I quitted the job.

QUOTE(sweet_pez @ Apr 30 2021, 11:06 AM)
......What sort of freelance work are you talking about? .......Example as someone mentioned - as food delivery, or you can even try getting part time as a waiter or work in fast food chain.......I'll also suggest you see a psychologist (snipped)
I posted freelance job about writing custom DLL to be used in higher-level language. I don't know the market, but don't think any companies want it.
I grew up as waiter since my parents were food hawker. Thanks for your suggestion, I wish I could talk to a therapist or psychologist as well.

TSFlierMate
post Apr 30 2021, 12:46 PM

On my way
Validating
543 posts

QUOTE(lordgamer3 @ Apr 30 2021, 02:52 AM)
How about a career in sales/insurance or private driver? ...... But if me laa i suggest try if possible apply for salesman for Msian car......
QUOTE(naughtyz @ Apr 30 2021, 04:00 AM)
Get what ever job dapat, cannot be choosy now day......
To be honest, I am very choosy , and I throw all sorts of excuse for not seeking a particular job. Maybe time for me to change my attitude. (I have never been sales man so , I am really not good in sales / insurance job industry.)

But thank for your well wishes.

QUOTE(ichimonster @ Apr 30 2021, 02:58 AM)
Try put more focus on doing something, I have tried it does help me and give me sense of purpose.
I think I learned something from you, turns that anxiety into motivation to move forward.

QUOTE(Masculine @ Apr 30 2021, 11:15 AM)
kalau anda seorang muslim....
I am non-Malay although I cited a Malay proverb smile.gif Thanks for sharing, I see how spiritual routine helps a believer.

----

The response from board members are overwhelming, thanks everyone who replied and listened to my rant.

murphyckf
post Apr 30 2021, 01:10 PM

Getting Started
68 posts

It's ok bro to feels insecured, we are all human and subjected by laws.

All unker can say is that dont dwell in this feeling for too long, the longer the poison the deeper it hurts you and your family.

Unker faham your situation cause since last year unker lost employment twice due this economic down turn, unker married with no children but still have to pay for house and other utility. The mental stress of not securing a job is torturing and repeating daily.

So many ah boy here give alternative, TS may want to try them. Also you can apply for EIS if you're eligible.
https://eis.perkeso.gov.my/eisportal/insure...ppl/instruction

Unker wish TS stay strong and stay positive, maybe go exercise daily. Sweating is a very good feeling and hopefully it will helps to clear your mind. Good luck ya and add oil

This post has been edited by murphyckf: Apr 30 2021, 01:14 PM
Redshelf411
post Apr 30 2021, 10:17 PM

Enthusiast
800 posts

I'm not in my 40s (in my 20s actually) and currently have no full-time job either. My sole income, for now, are all from my freelance gigs which isn't much. Even that gave me anxiety and sleepless nights every now and then. For the most part the only available jobs here are sales jobs from insurance and dropship products.

Not sure if my situation is any different if I were to go West Malaysia/KL but I have a feeling it won't.

Coming back to your case... Like how a lot of ppl here say. Try sell insurance or bank products? Or can consider doing grad driver, grab food driver, food panda jobs? Those are the only jobs that are "actively hiring" for now. Knew a couple of ex-uni friends who can't find a job even graduating from MAs so decided to go be grab drivers (KL/West Malaysia based). Worst come to worst, probably try fast-food chains and be their service crew. Not the best jobs but if they are willing to take you on and give you a job, it's better than nothing.
hunneesim
post May 26 2021, 04:31 AM

2 posts

Coming from someone who's suffering from the same concern, though im in the 20s, it really is normal to feel anxious and even depressed at time, i struggle to fall asleep at night.

What I can suggest is, for the time being, find a job that can keep your cash flow going first. Since you started as a waiter, you could consider working in the F&B and you may be surprised that some may even earn you upwards of 1.6 - 2k/month. For instance paparich, old town, bubble tea shops etc. No harm trying and I wish the very best to you and everyone who's currently pursuing a job position. Good luck y'all.
Vodoo2k
post May 26 2021, 05:50 AM

Regular
1,365 posts

I was laid off from my US based company last October and being a dad of 6 and at age 40ish, the first emotion I felt was utter disbelief and anger. Slowly this feeling subsided and I am lucky to have a very supportive wife.

After I've cycled all crazy low emotions, I've come to a conclusion I need to do something and this is what I did. I hope it will help.

I got an A3-sized paper and started to list down all my skills and really drilled down on those which could or can make money. I list every hobby and after a brief discussion with my family, I started with this. I love to bake so I started an online bakery shop and started small. Cheesecakes and brownies. Then opportunity came for me to dwell into fruit juice business so without any prior knowledge, I jumped in. I utilized my photography skills, IT skills and did whatever thing that could generate money. Now I am happy to say that I can generate more compared to working. It only takes time, a proper planning, faith and help from close family and friends! Don't loose hope and don't be afraid to try! I wish you all good luck!

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0146sec    0.17    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 12:01 AM