Mature Student - Thinking of 2nd BA, Advice for an uncle

views

seanlimys
post May 3 2021, 05:49 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,751 posts

QUOTE(poooky @ Apr 15 2021, 12:05 PM)
Hello all,

I'm an uncle in my 30s with an existing degree in accounting, worked a few years in public accounting, felt that it wasn't for me long term, then made a jump to the tech field as generalist (manual testing, documentation, implementation, customer support, etc) with the idea that I'd be able to transition into software development. Fast forward a couple years, and I am nowhere nearer to my goal than when I was, back in accounting. I've also been putting time into learning Web Dev from free online courses and such, but I don't feel any closer to getting there.

My future prospects don't seem great, and life is getting bleaker. I guess I'm at that point where decision making is becoming irrational as it becomes more apparent that I'm just a living corpse with nothing to lose, just going about my days merely existing, and the only thing keeping me in check is a moral obligation to loved ones, but I digress. 

I'm seriously considering on going back to school part time for a 2nd degree in a STEM field, leaning towards Computer Science at this point. I'm non-bumi, don't have much in savings, but can draw from my EPF-2 account if necessary, and ​I've literally forgotten all the maths and science learnt from in my younger years.

Kindly advise an old uncle if possible:

- What will this process be like? what kind of fees should I expect?
- What are are some of the schools offering these courses? I remember TARC was offering this a couple years back, but there's no information on their site currently.
- Will this even worth it? or am I better off going full self-study?
- Anything else you'd like to share. Criticism and anecdotal experience is also accepted.

Thank You
hi, i somewhat have a similar dilemma as u. my first degree is in education (jadi cikgu la, lol) and slowly felt i wanted to do something else. my next step, which is my current progress, is taking a masters in management. i personally thinking 2nd degree is a waste of time, as most employers will prefer to look into your current highest qualifications. another perspective would be taking professional certificates such as clp, cna, cnp etc etc. which the corporate world appreciates more. rarely, even in survey forms, will ask if u are a double degree holder. and also upon taking a 2nd degree, i dun think your prior personal experience would be taken into consideration since both fields are different during interview (e.g. 8 years accounting, 2 years tech generalist)
seanlimys
post May 3 2021, 05:57 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,751 posts

in fact, one way to boost your career would be applying for the technologist title.

https://www.mbot.org.my/

you can get Ts. in front of your name.
ike.tan
post May 4 2021, 11:48 AM

Getting Started
203 posts

QUOTE(seanlimys @ May 3 2021, 05:57 PM)
in fact, one way to boost your career would be applying for the technologist title.

Not so easy. Especially if you are NOT in the field or do not have much working OR academic experience in the field.
seanlimys
post May 6 2021, 11:55 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,751 posts

QUOTE(ike.tan @ May 4 2021, 11:48 AM)
Not so easy. Especially if you are NOT in the field or do not have much working OR academic experience in the field.
choose grad technologists, not professional technologists. no harm trying. not easy is still better than not trying right?
ike.tan
post May 6 2021, 01:51 PM

Getting Started
203 posts

QUOTE(seanlimys @ May 6 2021, 11:55 AM)
choose grad technologists, not professional technologists. no harm trying. not easy is still better than not trying right?
Yeah - Graduate Technologist is easier. It's not about not easy but it costs RM600 just for the application for the Professional Technologists. Grad Tech is only RM50-60.
Human Nature
post May 6 2021, 04:50 PM

- student of human nature -
All Stars
25,132 posts

QUOTE(seanlimys @ May 3 2021, 05:57 PM)

Curious, how can a technologist title boost one's career?
seanlimys
post May 6 2021, 05:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,751 posts

QUOTE(Human Nature @ May 6 2021, 04:50 PM)
Curious, how can a technologist title boost one's career?
More often that not, our skills are lacked of recognition. You need to get an organization or someone to recognise what you are capable of. Just like datukship (of course in a different context la). Getting such titles/recognition enables you to tap a larger pool of network and talents.

Just like how teachers apply to get google educators certificates, no impact on pay or promotion, but it is good in the profile to apply for guru cemerlang or something like that in the future.

wouldn’t you like to have an impressive resume?
Human Nature
post May 6 2021, 05:34 PM

- student of human nature -
All Stars
25,132 posts

QUOTE(seanlimys @ May 6 2021, 05:08 PM)
More often that not, our skills are lacked of recognition. You need to get an organization or someone to recognise what you are capable of. Just like datukship (of course in a different context la). Getting such titles/recognition enables you to tap a larger pool of network and talents.

Just like how teachers apply to get google educators certificates, no impact on pay or promotion, but it is good in the profile to apply for guru cemerlang or something like that in the future.

wouldn’t you like to have an impressive resume?
Fair enough. Just that the recognition is only applicable in Malaysia.
seanlimys
post May 8 2021, 10:49 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,751 posts

QUOTE(Human Nature @ May 6 2021, 05:34 PM)
Fair enough. Just that the recognition is only applicable in Malaysia.
agreed. at least that works in certain places. getting recognition is very important.
ike.tan
post May 8 2021, 11:12 AM

Getting Started
203 posts

QUOTE(seanlimys @ May 8 2021, 10:49 AM)
agreed. at least that works in certain places. getting recognition is very important.
Are you also a Professional Technologist?

This post has been edited by ike.tan: May 8 2021, 11:12 AM
seanlimys
post May 10 2021, 12:58 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,751 posts

QUOTE(ike.tan @ May 8 2021, 11:12 AM)
Are you also a Professional Technologist?
no sir, i m far from being one.. am planning to apply for grad tech. pray for me
ike.tan
post May 10 2021, 11:23 AM

Getting Started
203 posts

QUOTE(seanlimys @ May 10 2021, 12:58 AM)
no sir, i m far from being one.. am planning to apply for grad tech. pray for me
Grad tech is pretty automatic actually. No worries. As long as you have a degree in a relevant field, it should be no problem.
xenotzu
post May 10 2021, 12:27 PM

Regular
1,484 posts

QUOTE(poooky @ Apr 15 2021, 12:05 PM)
Hello all,

I'm an uncle in my 30s with an existing degree in accounting, worked a few years in public accounting, felt that it wasn't for me long term, then made a jump to the tech field as generalist (manual testing, documentation, implementation, customer support, etc) with the idea that I'd be able to transition into software development. Fast forward a couple years, and I am nowhere nearer to my goal than when I was, back in accounting. I've also been putting time into learning Web Dev from free online courses and such, but I don't feel any closer to getting there.

My future prospects don't seem great, and life is getting bleaker. I guess I'm at that point where decision making is becoming irrational as it becomes more apparent that I'm just a living corpse with nothing to lose, just going about my days merely existing, and the only thing keeping me in check is a moral obligation to loved ones, but I digress. 

I'm seriously considering on going back to school part time for a 2nd degree in a STEM field, leaning towards Computer Science at this point. I'm non-bumi, don't have much in savings, but can draw from my EPF-2 account if necessary, and ​I've literally forgotten all the maths and science learnt from in my younger years.

- What are are some of the schools offering these courses? I remember TARC was offering this a couple years back, but there's no information on their site currently.
- Anything else you'd like to share. Criticism and anecdotal experience is also accepted.

Thank You
https://www.weforum.org/reports/the-future-...obs-report-2020

This report might help you as to what the future of jobs is like. Look up the country profile for Malaysia and you will see that it is not that different from the Global demand for future jobs. Very interesting reading.

I have a friend who also holds an accounting degree but has worked in-house for many years. He wanted a change and is now studying for a Masters in Data Analytics. The explosion for people with data analytics qualification is big. He also teaches on an accounting course part time, and recently, they introduced a data analytics component as it seems that there's a big demand for that in accounting now.
wingy
post May 12 2021, 11:35 PM

Getting Started
56 posts

QUOTE(poooky @ Apr 15 2021, 05:05 AM)
Hello all,

Thank You
If I were you instead of branching into computing science why not go for a course on an IT related accounting application such as Oracle Financials. I understand an accountant's good working knowledge of Oracle Financials is quite sought after by large UK/US companies that use the software.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0169sec    0.20    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:15 PM