Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

The Truth Behind Waiting Time/Period, Is your SA telling the truth??

views

TSabekage
post Apr 15 2021, 11:47 AM, updated 3y ago

Getting Started
87 posts

user posted image

Hi All.

Some of you may have waited for months to get your new car, to the point that when you finally get your car, it's not "new" anymore. A very frustrating experience I reckon.

If your SA is being truthful about it, then you are blessed and can make the right decision. But if not, then you will be in a long drive to frustration. Even more frustrating is when you don't have a clear answer to it and your mind is not at peace. In my case, my SA loves the phrase "dalam masa yang terdekat", without realizing that he just make it worse.

What is so secret about waiting time? Why can't some SA be truthful about it?

How do manufacturers/dealers estimate waiting time?

Why manufacturers keep taking new orders when they know their production and/or supply chain capacity cannot achieve whatever KPI being set?

How long is the longest? 3 months? 6 months? 9 months?

Why can't they eventually revise their production lines based on higher demand for certain models/variants?

What is your manufacturer's standard waiting time? Is any compensation given for long waiting period?

What is your generally acceptable waiting time before you finally decided to cancel your order?

Feel free to throw additional questions and opinions to ease your frustration. Peace.
ktek
post Apr 15 2021, 12:23 PM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,541 posts

u from which area.
abubin
post Apr 15 2021, 01:54 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

What's' the point of this thread? Throwing those questions, who is going to answer?
TSabekage
post Apr 15 2021, 02:54 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Apr 15 2021, 12:23 PM)
u from which area.
I am from KL
TSabekage
post Apr 15 2021, 02:58 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Apr 15 2021, 01:54 PM)
What's' the point of this thread? Throwing those questions, who is going to answer?
Just throwing some questions on behalf of those who are in the same quandary. Maybe some of the users here are working or involved in production, manufacturing and distribution of cars can shed some light on the que system, factors affecting timely deliveries, what we can do to improve the system, how and when to choose the right dealer, lessons learned etc.

Peace.
ktek
post Apr 15 2021, 03:31 PM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,541 posts

dont have such occupation ppl here.
at most is sa only. u find zth forum ask lo
abubin
post Apr 15 2021, 03:37 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

Based on my own experience, here is the process AFAIK. Anyone can correct me if I am wrong.

The car dealerships are in-charge of their own logistics. They will usually place orders of x amount of car with manufacturer. Then manufacturer will tell them what color and spec available on which date and they will discuss all the details down to delivery date to car dealership.

Based on this information, the dealership will allocate the car based on orders. Usually first in first out (FIFO). However, because dealership want to earn extra money, they will allocate the car to customers who paid extra to cut queue.

Therefore, the reason why your car is arriving late is due to stock arriving late from manufacturer and queue cutting. Also, I think a lot of factor is because car dealerships does not have a proper system to handle orders therefore a lot of times the queue got mixed up. That is the reason why the car sales agent unable to give accurate answer due to car dealer's side. Manufacturer's side are quite straightforward.
EnergyAnalyst
post Apr 15 2021, 03:37 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,272 posts

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/chip...says-sime-darby
TSabekage
post Apr 15 2021, 03:48 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Apr 15 2021, 03:37 PM)
Based on my own experience, here is the process AFAIK. Anyone can correct me if I am wrong.

The car dealerships are in-charge of their own logistics. They will usually place orders of x amount of car with manufacturer. Then manufacturer will tell them what color and spec available on which date and they will discuss all the details down to delivery date to car dealership.

Based on this information, the dealership will allocate the car based on orders. Usually first in first out (FIFO). However, because dealership want to earn extra money, they will allocate the car to customers who paid extra to cut queue.

Therefore, the reason why your car is arriving late is due to stock arriving late from manufacturer and queue cutting. Also, I think a lot of factor is because car dealerships does not have a proper system to handle orders therefore a lot of times the queue got mixed up. That is the reason why the car sales agent unable to give accurate answer due to car dealer's side. Manufacturer's side are quite straightforward.
I guess the queue cutting is not new. I guess we need a more transparent system. Thanks for your input.

Is the FIFO list something a regular customer can request to view?

dylan_chng
post Apr 15 2021, 04:03 PM

On my way
658 posts

I remember last time in 2015, my mother bought a new Axia G manual, white.

Sales representative originally mentioned 1-2 month waiting period.

Ended up taking only 3 weeks.

My dad tells me it is because the dealer but their own name in the waiting list before hand.
EnergyAnalyst
post Apr 21 2021, 01:32 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,272 posts

https://www.carlist.my/news/the-perodua-ati...es-82613/82613/
JoeK
post Apr 21 2021, 02:21 PM

Enthusiast
984 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Apr 21 2021, 01:32 PM)
this article put Perodua Ativa in the title but did not say anything about it.

the whole article is very generic
abubin
post Apr 22 2021, 10:28 AM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Apr 21 2021, 01:32 PM)
The article talks about basically parts shortage in that case, microprocessor for the ECU. It is more due to Covid19 issue. If you treat it like a normal parts shortage then it is just what it is. It doesn't tell about anything beyond just factory failing to meet demand. For example, a waiting time of 1 month becomes 2 months due to parts shortage.

Things like these are usually not revealed unless it is a global phenomenon. Looking at the face value, this could happen to any manufacturing like the PCs and mobile phones and so on.
unitron
post Apr 22 2021, 11:20 AM

W1(R)3d
2,718 posts

Research or MBA project kah ni ?
EnergyAnalyst
post Apr 23 2021, 12:56 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,272 posts

QUOTE(JoeK @ Apr 21 2021, 02:21 PM)
this article put Perodua Ativa in the title but did not say anything about it.

the whole article is very generic
QUOTE(abubin @ Apr 22 2021, 10:28 AM)
The article talks about basically parts shortage in that case, microprocessor for the ECU. It is more due to Covid19 issue. If you treat it like a normal parts shortage then it is just what it is. It doesn't tell about anything beyond just factory failing to meet demand. For example, a waiting time of 1 month becomes 2 months due to parts shortage.

Things like these are usually not revealed unless it is a global phenomenon. Looking at the face value, this could happen to any manufacturing like the PCs and mobile phones and so on.
It is affecting everything under the sun, regardless of which brand, which maker and which models.

Wake up.

I must also add.

This is also another cause

https://www.bloombergquint.com/global-econo...l-trade-turmoil

LemonKnight
post Apr 23 2021, 06:24 PM

Getting Started
154 posts

A chip shortage around the world and a car tax exemption in Malaysia increasing demand for cars like mad, I don't think your SA is lying about waitlists. But I do agree with TS, the sales advisor should just straight up say expect months of waiting, instead of sugarcoating the ETA.

At this point, I am just glad cars aren't increasing in prices unlike, uhh computer parts. :'(
EnergyAnalyst
post May 5 2021, 01:36 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,272 posts

https://www.carlist.my/news/jualan-april-pe...ni-82759/82759/

Sales drop DUE TO COMPUTER CHIPS Shortage for Perodua
EnergyAnalyst
post Oct 21 2021, 09:50 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,272 posts

https://www.thesundaily.my/business/they-ll...deals-YM8482436

So will it end up car prices escalation?!

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/loca...unch-until-2023

This post has been edited by EnergyAnalyst: Oct 21 2021, 09:55 AM
EnergyAnalyst
post Oct 27 2021, 07:44 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,272 posts

https://www.wapcar.my/news/ahead-of-budget-...-extended-35572
thefryingfox
post Oct 27 2021, 07:48 AM

Lonely Maharajah
5,165 posts

If have to wait more than 1 month I will cancel my order.

If they take this long for the car imagine how long it will take for parts manufacturing assuming have some issues in first few month of ownership.

End up car sit at SC for days if not weeks if not months

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0168sec    0.55    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:52 PM