Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Freshies from 2020, how you get job?

views

TSSMF97
post Apr 13 2021, 11:46 PM, updated 3y ago

41 posts

Hi everyone,

I am Mechanical freshies degree graduated in October 2020, and still unemployed. There are several question to freshies and experienced employee out there I want to ask:-

1. How you manage to secure your job on 2020 / 2021?

2. After 6months of unemployment my knowledge in Mechanical studies start fading, I want to reskill / re learn but I not sure where to start (afraid it wont related to the job i will possibly get in the future). Currently, I just focus on reskilling my CAD software knowledge.

3. What new skill can be learned during my unemployment and where the skill can be applied in my future career?

4. What to do if I did not get job after a year? Does my cert have expiry date?

5. I'm thinking to apply as draftsman (diploma position), it is possible I can get atleast 2k in this position? Can I be promoted to engineer after 1 year of experience.

6. If die2 not get job what possible career change? (hope not)

I think that all for my question this time, I currently applied almost 200 application on jobs, protege, trainee and manage to get 5 interviews and failed all of them icon_question.gif . As I already received my cert, and know the senate date I will also apply for Gov job on SPA later.

Any advice related would be welcome. Huge thanks!!,sorry if some of this question has been ask before in this sub forum.
hellothere131495
post Apr 14 2021, 07:49 AM

Casual
447 posts

Study master. Now it's a bad time to find a job. Take this opportunity to grab a postgraduate degree. After pandemic over, you're just right to start a job with a higher education level. Just a suggestion...
Lysentrix
post Apr 14 2021, 11:42 AM

Getting Started
188 posts

QUOTE(hellothere131495 @ Apr 14 2021, 07:49 AM)
Study master. Now it's a bad time to find a job. Take this opportunity to grab a postgraduate degree. After pandemic over, you're just right to start a job with a higher education level. Just a suggestion...
Just a word of caution, being overqualified without any work experience might land you in worse circumstances than a fresh grad with just a degree. So studying masters at OP's age might not have a good cost/benefit ratio.

Consider doing skill-based short courses instead? Less financial commitment, and makes you more employable for your hard skills. You can always do master's degree later when you are already clear about your career path. Please give yourself time to explore the realities of your job, before you decide on jumping into ANOTHER RM20-50k study loan in something you're unsure about.
digitalz
post Apr 14 2021, 12:06 PM

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.
2,030 posts

True. Unless you want to proceed with the academia route, then you can probably venture into masters + academia route at the same time.

If not, your best choice is still submitting all sorts of applications all around. Don't be afraid to venture out to other cities/states etc for your work. It's how you grow.
Nex6er99 P
post Apr 14 2021, 12:32 PM

Probation
15 posts

I'd suggest doing an internship first. Try your best to perform well during your internship and hope that the company converts you into a permanent staff smile.gif
TSSMF97
post Apr 14 2021, 12:47 PM

41 posts

QUOTE(Lysentrix @ Apr 14 2021, 11:42 AM)
Just a word of caution, being overqualified without any work experience might land you in worse circumstances than a fresh grad with just a degree. So studying masters at OP's age might not have a good cost/benefit ratio.

Consider doing skill-based short courses instead? Less financial commitment, and makes you more employable for your hard skills. You can always do master's degree later when you are already clear about your career path. Please give yourself time to explore the realities of your job, before you decide on jumping into ANOTHER RM20-50k study loan in something you're unsure about.
yeah I kinda afraid of this if I taken master route, I will try look more into skill based short course thank you for advice!

QUOTE(digitalz @ Apr 14 2021, 12:06 PM)
True. Unless you want to proceed with the academia route, then you can probably venture into masters + academia route at the same time.

If not, your best choice is still submitting all sorts of applications all around. Don't be afraid to venture out to other cities/states etc for your work. It's how you grow.
Understand, thank you!

QUOTE(Nex6er99 @ Apr 14 2021, 12:32 PM)
I'd suggest doing an internship first. Try your best to perform well during your internship and hope that the company converts you into a permanent staff smile.gif
can I take internship even if I graduated? Or you meant trainee programme? hmm.gif

This post has been edited by SMF97: Apr 14 2021, 12:48 PM
Nex6er99 P
post Apr 14 2021, 06:51 PM

Probation
15 posts

QUOTE(SMF97 @ Apr 14 2021, 12:47 PM)
yeah I kinda afraid of this if I taken master route, I will try look more into skill based short course thank you for advice!
Understand, thank you!
can I take internship even if I graduated? Or you meant trainee programme? hmm.gif
you can still do an internship after graduating. that's what I did after my degree smile.gif
TruboXL
post Apr 14 2021, 06:53 PM

Over 900 useless posts
984 posts

Maybe start taking technician level jobs? I also stuck like you. Parking for more info.
TSSMF97
post Apr 14 2021, 11:35 PM

41 posts

QUOTE(Nex6er99 @ Apr 14 2021, 06:51 PM)
you can still do an internship after graduating. that's what I did after my degree smile.gif
new knowledge for me thanks! May I know how long u did the internship?

QUOTE(TruboXL @ Apr 14 2021, 06:53 PM)
Maybe start taking technician level jobs? I also stuck like you. Parking for more info.
Last few days, I invited to 2 year experience job position (surprised got selected) , but when I go there the interviewer said I does not have experience and other candidate have more experience and cant compete with them. Turned out from 500 people applied he just pick 30 people randomly and called for interview (Maybe he thought all candidate applied have 2 exp ? hmm.gif ).

So in the end he just offer me technician job 12 hours/6days, OT during peak production, RM1800 can get to 2000 if plus OT. He said got one degree candidate start as technician promoted to engineer after 1 year plus. To be honest I can work with 2k salary but Im not sure if I can do 12 hour + OT continuously for one year plus sweat.gif , (manufacturing company). Im not sure other company how their technician working hours, it is same?

So im now thinking to apply diploma position such like draftsman's probably bit good working hours?

This post has been edited by SMF97: Apr 14 2021, 11:38 PM
hellothere131495
post Apr 15 2021, 08:26 AM

Casual
447 posts

I believe that you are more interested in jobs and careers. If you have financial problems, you should probably work without expecting a good salary during this pandemic. I believe that studying for a master's degree by coursework has a benefit. Everyone will have the experience when you reach the age of 35. However, not everyone will have a certificate to upgrade their position.
Nex6er99 P
post Apr 15 2021, 07:29 PM

Probation
15 posts

QUOTE(SMF97 @ Apr 14 2021, 11:35 PM)
new knowledge for me thanks! May I know how long u did the internship?

my internship lasted for 4 months... I got an offer after that smile.gif what helped was that I was very vocal during meetings, always gave my input and ideas etc. visibility plays an important role
coolrox86
post Apr 16 2021, 11:05 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

QUOTE(SMF97 @ Apr 13 2021, 11:46 PM)
Hi everyone,

2. After 6months of unemployment my knowledge in Mechanical studies start fading, I want to reskill / re learn but I not sure where to start (afraid it wont related to the job i will possibly get in the future). Currently, I just focus on reskilling my CAD software knowledge.

3. What new skill can be learned during my unemployment and where the skill can be applied in my future career?

Any advice related would be welcome. Huge thanks!!,sorry if some of this question has been ask before in this sub forum.
Keep your SPM science books and university studies material. This can be used as your archive to refresh your knowledge and memory. You can try to learn IT or computer science. Even though you are not working as IT staff, this skill by less or more is widely used nowadays.
ketambatu0415
post Apr 16 2021, 11:27 PM

10 posts

Hi everyone,

I am Mechanical freshies degree graduated in October 2020, and still unemployed. There are several question to freshies and experienced employee out there I want to ask:-

5. I'm thinking to apply as draftsman (diploma position), it is possible I can get atleast 2k in this position? Can I be promoted to engineer after 1 year of experience.

I think that all for my question this time, I currently applied almost 200 application on jobs, protege, trainee and manage to get 5 interviews and failed all of them  icon_question.gif . As I already received my cert, and know the senate date I will also apply for Gov job on SPA later.

1. To be honest, i believe there is still job vacancies out there considering the education sectors has been halted by the pandemic for sometimes and more manpower's are needed to recover the business. The industries might be looking someone with extra skills such as being an IT savvy person. Be familiar with online platform for working such microsoft teams.

2/3. Start to improve your skills on your career interest, for instance if your interested in energy/power sector, learn and develop yourself with knowledge on energy storage, renewable energies and so on. If you are into project engineering, learn on project management, scheduling, and procurement process etc.

4. Your cert is just your stepping stone into your first/second jobs/careers. Once you are in the jobs, your set of skills might changes and improve. Dont worries, your degree will not be expired but it can be less significant in your future career development since by then, you would be more evaluated on your management skills rather than your technical skills already.

5. Dont mind about the positions when you started working but rather focus on gaining experience. If you already in sometimes in your job later, you'll notice whether you'll still going to hain more knowledge there or you'll need to change your job to get better pay or position.

6. Be patient and dont afraid to start from below. And be active at finding jobs and get there. Always roam around in the internet on any vacancies and costume your resume properly to make it better than anyone else. Gaining experience is important to make your resume much more interesting.

All the best in your job hunting and i believe you'll get what you wanted. smile.gif
TSSMF97
post Apr 17 2021, 06:14 AM

41 posts

QUOTE(Nex6er99 @ Apr 15 2021, 07:29 PM)
my internship lasted for 4 months... I got an offer after that smile.gif what helped was that I was very vocal during meetings, always gave my input and ideas etc. visibility plays an important role
Oh cool! I will take note on your advice

QUOTE(coolrox86 @ Apr 16 2021, 11:05 PM)
Keep your SPM science books and university studies material. This can be used as your archive to refresh your knowledge and memory. You can try to learn IT or computer science. Even though you are not working as IT staff, this skill by less or more is widely used nowadays.
Oh yes I still keep some of them! I used to have some coding knowledge during fyp but mostly C programing, gonna try to learn other language too!

QUOTE(ketambatu0415 @ Apr 16 2021, 11:27 PM)
1. To be honest, i believe there is still job vacancies out there considering the education sectors has been halted by the pandemic for sometimes and more manpower's are needed to recover the business. The industries might be looking someone with extra skills such as being an IT savvy person. Be familiar with online platform for working such microsoft teams.

2/3. Start to improve your skills on your career interest, for instance if your interested in energy/power sector, learn and develop yourself with knowledge on energy storage, renewable energies and so on. If you are into project engineering, learn on project management, scheduling, and procurement process etc.

4. Your cert is just your stepping stone into your first/second jobs/careers. Once you are in the jobs, your set of skills might changes and improve. Dont worries, your degree will not be expired but it can be less significant in your future career development since by then, you would be more evaluated on your management skills rather than your technical skills already.

5. Dont mind about the positions when you started working but rather focus on gaining experience. If you already in sometimes in your job later, you'll notice whether you'll still going to hain more knowledge there or you'll need to change your job to get better pay or position.

6. Be patient and dont afraid to start from below. And be active at finding jobs and get there. Always roam around in the internet on any vacancies and costume your resume properly to make it better than anyone else. Gaining experience is important to make your resume much more interesting.

All the best in your job hunting and i believe you'll get what you wanted. smile.gif
Thanks for the encouragement and clearing my doubt! I will try follow your advice also notworthy.gif

[d]-ky
post Apr 17 2021, 01:38 PM

On my way
630 posts

Hi everyone,

Got permanent offer during intern time prior mco

tbh, since you mentioned about CAD, why not keep on building CAD-based portfolio relevant to your career dream while you're looking for jobs, those experience and skills you gained during the process of building up your portfolio is invaluable

programming skills, we are experiencing industrial 4.0 where programming skills become really important
other than that, I highly suggest you to reach out to the people/community that you think you can respect them so you can hear/learn more about their experience and apply them during your search for jobs/interviews

Unless specified, degree and cert don't get expired, you are the only one getting expired if you don't continue to follow up, so keep learning and keep improving

can't comment much on this since im from financial/programming background, but applying what you mentioned, it is highly possible to start low and gain high if you have the passion in doing your job great and making your job great

I think that all for my question this time, I currently applied almost 200 application on jobs, protege, trainee and manage to get 5 interviews and failed all of them icon_question.gif . As I already received my cert, and know the senate date I will also apply for Gov job on SPA later.

yes, i jumped from finance/banking administration to programming route, or more specifically, database route.

So it is all up to you to decide and not let the others to decide for you.

See what you like and what you do during your free time, you might be able to change that passion into your source of income.

My personal advice, when you go for interviews, remember, you are interviewing the counterparty as well, so make sure you do your homework, study for the interview background, and throw your questions to them during your interview sessions. Jangan takut bersoal thumbsup.gif

And if you understand mandarin, i highly recommend you watch this.

Alright, good luck on your job hunting bruce.gif

This post has been edited by [d]-ky: Apr 17 2021, 01:44 PM
Topace111
post Apr 17 2021, 04:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,102 posts

Find the skills requirment in jobstreet and do a gap analysis with your current skills. Withe exception of core or professional skills, edex or Coursera offers many free courses

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0159sec    0.67    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:20 PM