Guide Maxis Fibre with VOIP (TP-Link C5v), Connect with own router

views

TSmisk94
post Apr 11 2021, 07:04 PM, updated 3y ago

Getting Started
72 posts

How to connect Maxis Fibre with VOIP (TP-Link C5v) using own Router:

Note:
Thanks for those sharing their experience which make this guide possible.
Namely, alvinchan2010, Anime4000 and others from Custom maxis fibre router with voip function, Any recommendations?, Lowyat.net forum.

Steps:
1. Connect ONU (TM, LAN2) to Maxis router WAN port and set the Maxis TP Link router up for PPPOE and Voice VOIP.
2. Check PPOE, internet and VOIP are working fine.
3. Enable the Maxis router Internet Bridge Mode. Now, Maxis router will bridge all internet traffic from and to your New Router.

user posted image

4. Connect New Router WAN to LAN4 port in Maxis router.

TM ONU LAN2 -> Maxis router WAN -> Maxis router LAN4 -> New Router WAN

5. Setup your router for internet access with PPPOE .
6. You will need Maxis Fibre PPPOE login info.
7. It is best to disable Maxis router WiFi since you ae going to use New Router with superior WiFi – the real reason why you are doing this in the first place.

user posted image

8. Next, disable DHCP which should reduce router load.
9. Do not forget to add 2nd maxis tp-link router LAN IP as 169.254.0.1/16.
10. This will make Windows IPv4 Autoconfiguration able to communicate with Maxis router which allow you to enter Maxis router admin page.
11. You can access the admin page at http://169.254.0.1

user posted image

12. The good thing about this way, it is not necessary to add any VLAN in your New Router.
13. Unfortunately, you still need to retain the Maxis router for VOIP and Internet bridge to New Router.
14. Maxis router will perform VOIP and internet bridge functions.
15. New Router will perform WiFi access functions. WiFi4, WiFi5 and WiFi6 access if you have a new WiFi6 router.
16. Also, there is no need to get locked for another 24 months contract with Maxis in order to get WiFi6.
17. Likely you will get an entry WiFi6 class router. Marginal performance improvements compared to the Maxis router you are having now.
18. As a parting note, TM, Maxis dan all global ISPs will give you the cheapest router they can find to keep their cost down. This is common practice.
19. As a result, consumers are getting mediocre WiFi performance for the money they paid for internet services.
20. You are free to make your choice. Use the money saved to get a better WiFi6 router.

Regards,

Updated: 11 April 2021

This post has been edited by misk94: Apr 11 2021, 07:14 PM
kwai_83
post Apr 11 2021, 07:49 PM

Casual
451 posts

QUOTE(misk94 @ Apr 11 2021, 07:04 PM)
How to connect Maxis Fibre with VOIP (TP-Link C5v) using own Router:

Note: 
Thanks for those sharing their experience which make this guide possible.
Namely, alvinchan2010, Anime4000 and others from Custom maxis fibre router with voip function, Any recommendations?, Lowyat.net forum.

Steps:
1. Connect ONU (TM, LAN2) to Maxis router WAN port and set the Maxis TP Link router up for PPPOE and Voice VOIP.
2. Check PPOE, internet and VOIP are working fine.
3. Enable the Maxis router Internet Bridge Mode.  Now, Maxis router will bridge all internet traffic from and to your New Router.

user posted image

4. Connect New Router WAN to LAN4 port in Maxis router.

TM ONU LAN2 -> Maxis router WAN -> Maxis router LAN4 -> New Router WAN

5. Setup your router for internet access with PPPOE .
6. You will need Maxis Fibre PPPOE login info.
7. It is best to disable Maxis router WiFi since you ae going to use New Router with superior WiFi – the real reason why you are doing this in the first place.

user posted image

8. Next, disable DHCP which should reduce router load.
9. Do not forget to add 2nd maxis tp-link router LAN IP as 169.254.0.1/16.
10. This will make Windows IPv4 Autoconfiguration able to communicate with Maxis router which allow you to enter Maxis router admin page. 
11. You can access the admin page at http://169.254.0.1

user posted image

12. The good thing about this way, it is not necessary to add any VLAN in your New Router.
13. Unfortunately, you still need to retain the Maxis router for VOIP and Internet bridge to New Router.
14. Maxis router will perform VOIP and internet bridge functions.
15. New Router will perform WiFi access functions. WiFi4, WiFi5 and WiFi6 access if you have a new WiFi6 router.
16. Also,  there is no need to get locked for another 24 months contract with Maxis in order to get WiFi6.
17. Likely you will get an entry WiFi6 class router. Marginal performance improvements compared to the Maxis router you are having now.
18. As a parting note, TM, Maxis dan all global ISPs will give you the cheapest router they can find to keep their cost down. This is common practice.
19. As a result, consumers are getting mediocre WiFi performance for the money they paid for internet services.
20. You are free to make your choice. Use the money saved to get a better WiFi6 router.

Regards,

Updated: 11 April 2021
thank for your sharing.but now days new router such as asus and tp link branded all profile setting if been prefix .means if need to connect remain your voip just remain maxis stock for voip and your new own router as main connection .simple and easy

TSmisk94
post Apr 11 2021, 10:57 PM

Getting Started
72 posts

QUOTE(kwai_83 @ Apr 11 2021, 07:49 PM)
thank for your sharing.but now days new router such as asus and tp link branded all profile setting if been prefix .means if need to connect remain your voip just remain maxis stock for voip and your new own router as main connection .simple and easy
Dear Kwai,

True, most Malaysianised routers from Asus, TP-Link or DLink are already prefix for Unifi, Maxis and Time.

The guide is useful for those are using Maxis TP-Link C5V and Chinese or imported routers that are not prefixed.

If my guide could save someone time and headache, then my job is accomplished.

Nevertheless, you are welcome.

Regards,

This post has been edited by misk94: Apr 19 2021, 02:48 PM
kwai_83
post Apr 12 2021, 01:07 PM

Casual
451 posts

QUOTE(misk94 @ Apr 11 2021, 10:57 PM)
Dear Kwai,

True, most Malaysianised routers from Asus, TP-Link or DLink are already prefix for Unifi, Maxis and Time.

The guide is useful for those are using Maxis TP-Link C5V and Chinese or imported routers that are not prefixed.

If my guide could save someone time and headache, then my job is done.

Nevertheless, you are welcome.

Regards,
Thanks for sharing
zzomm15 P
post Dec 23 2021, 04:31 AM

Probation
3 posts

Hey all Sifus, I am facing some setup issue for my Maxis Fiber Internet.
I am using TP-Link AX90 as main router, setup the maxis router (tp-link C5V) as bridge mode just for the VOIP. I can not setup successfully, the Maxis router after bridge mode could not function. But, I am applying the same way to setup my brother's house Maxis fiber using AX73 as main router, maxis router (C5V) bridge mode for VOIP is working. Why, by using the same way could not apply in TP-Link AX90? Please advice... appreciate
unitron
post May 18 2023, 07:52 PM

W1(R)3d
2,718 posts

QUOTE(zzomm15 @ Dec 23 2021, 04:31 AM)
Hey all Sifus, I am facing some setup issue for my Maxis Fiber Internet.
I am using TP-Link AX90 as main router, setup the maxis router (tp-link C5V) as bridge mode just for the VOIP. I can not setup successfully, the Maxis router after bridge mode could not function. But, I am applying the same way to setup my brother's house Maxis fiber using AX73 as main router, maxis router (C5V) bridge mode for VOIP is working. Why, by using the same way could not apply in TP-Link AX90? Please advice... appreciate
I need to necro this thread "Mando tibi exsurge , et da servitutem hominibus"

You solved this issue already with the AX90 ?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0129sec    0.84    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:28 PM