Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

New smart home project ideas, Smart home tech

views

TSTings1991 P
post Apr 9 2021, 04:20 PM, updated 3y ago

Probation
12 posts

hey guys and girls,

I'm looking for some ideas for some smart home style tech. I like looking, playing around and building stuff and need some inspo for some project ideas. What have you made, was it difficult, and how has it benefited your every day life?

Currently i have set my home up with a mixture of alexa and sonoff devices along with some smart lights and plugs, but i'm interested in some more custom stuff.

Thanks in advance y'all! brows.gif
winkytoe
post Apr 9 2021, 04:27 PM

Getting Started
131 posts

I saw some smart curtain stuff that uses wifi to draw your curtains.

if you dont wanna splurge on wifi enabled stuff you can get those universal remote that uses RF/wifi universal remote. (would be useful for remote fan/aircon/turn on tv)

zuozi
post Apr 9 2021, 04:41 PM

Enthusiast
881 posts

QUOTE(Tings1991 @ Apr 9 2021, 04:20 PM)
hey guys and girls,

I'm looking for some ideas for some smart home style tech. I like looking, playing around and building stuff and need some inspo for some project ideas. What have you made, was it difficult, and how has it benefited your every day life?

Currently i have set my home up with a mixture of alexa and sonoff devices along with some smart lights and plugs, but i'm interested in some more custom stuff.

Thanks in advance y'all!  brows.gif
custom build I guess something like raspberry pi?if you can write your own machine language and programming due to privacy issue then should be no issue , if no just buy whatever available plug and play
ck77
post Apr 9 2021, 04:41 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,546 posts

QUOTE(winkytoe @ Apr 9 2021, 04:27 PM)

if you dont wanna splurge on wifi enabled stuff you can get those universal remote that uses RF/wifi universal remote.  (would be useful for remote fan/aircon/turn on tv)
Yape, am using this and linked all to Google Nest.

fujirock
post Apr 9 2021, 05:42 PM

28 posts

depend on what device you use to communicate with your smart device. For me, i'm using apple homekit. So mostly my device i try to get esp8266 chip like sonoff. So i can flash it to Tasmota firmware and then use Mosquitto to with raspberry pi that act as bridge for all the smart devices.
TSTings1991 P
post Apr 16 2021, 08:23 PM

Probation
12 posts

QUOTE(winkytoe @ Apr 9 2021, 04:27 PM)
I saw some smart curtain stuff that uses wifi to draw your curtains.

if you dont wanna splurge on wifi enabled stuff you can get those universal remote that uses RF/wifi universal remote.  (would be useful for remote fan/aircon/turn on tv)
this would be useful for when i'm in bed, or if they closed at a certain time for sure! will look into this
TSTings1991 P
post Apr 16 2021, 08:28 PM

Probation
12 posts

QUOTE(fujirock @ Apr 9 2021, 05:42 PM)
depend on what device you use to communicate with your smart device. For me, i'm using apple homekit. So mostly my device i try to get esp8266 chip like sonoff. So i can flash it to Tasmota firmware and then use Mosquitto to with raspberry pi that act as bridge for all the smart devices.
oh interesting that you can use Rasberry Pi as a bridge. I guess it's open source so why not. It just never occurred to me. For slightly cheaper than a Pi itself. Would it be possible to use something such as this ZigBee controller as a hub to control the whole system?
alucard89
post Apr 18 2021, 11:00 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,301 posts

QUOTE(Tings1991 @ Apr 16 2021, 08:28 PM)
oh interesting that you can use Rasberry Pi as a bridge. I guess it's open source so why not. It just never occurred to me. For slightly cheaper than a Pi itself. Would it be possible to use something such as this ZigBee controller as a hub to control the whole system?
Might wanna head to smart home thread we already got here for more advice

Also, home assistant is the way to go if you wanna link multiple smart devices for automation

Yeah, there’s tuya/sonoff component to pair with the zigbee hubs if you wanna run it locally instead of connecting to cloud.
TSTings1991 P
post Apr 23 2021, 11:11 PM

Probation
12 posts

QUOTE(alucard89 @ Apr 18 2021, 11:00 AM)
Might wanna head to smart home thread we already got here for more advice

Also, home assistant is the way to go if you wanna link multiple smart devices for automation

Yeah, there’s tuya/sonoff component to pair with the zigbee hubs if you wanna run it locally instead of connecting to cloud.
Thank you, sorry i didn't see that section. smile.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0139sec    0.28    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:20 PM