Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Buy Proton in 2021, To proton or not to proton

views

TSAng3237
post Apr 7 2021, 02:23 PM, updated 7d ago

17 posts

Proton has had a bad reputation in malaysia for its faulty parts and bad fuel economy

When i primary school my dad drive proton perdana and always complain this part rosak that part rosak finally sell n buy a touota
But over the years has it changed ? Is it better now?

Ayam should get proton perdana and sapok local brand or with that price get Honda Ketam because Honda is life?

Any proton perdana owner please review
zero5177
post Apr 7 2021, 02:27 PM

5 Stars Horse Tail
871 posts

Post style like in /k
but open new thread at F&F

Not sure how should I respond to your question.

The Perdana is an old Accord few generation back, Civic is of course the better option if you don't mind the low seating position.
acbc
post Apr 7 2021, 02:29 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,881 posts

Buy at own risk. It's your money.

But personally, I won't touch it especially for Geely models.
adriankan
post Apr 7 2021, 02:34 PM

Getting Started
52 posts

honestly, accordana or perdana maybe can find a good deal, there are some examples of low mileage and low priced ones if you know where to find, since some of them might be underutilised gov fleet
Chrix
post Apr 7 2021, 02:50 PM

On my way
520 posts

QUOTE(Ang3237 @ Apr 7 2021, 02:23 PM)
Proton has had a bad reputation in malaysia for its faulty parts and bad fuel economy

When i primary school my dad drive proton perdana and always complain this part rosak that part rosak finally sell n buy a touota
But over the years has it changed ? Is it better now?

Ayam should get proton perdana and sapok local brand or with that price get Honda Ketam because Honda is life?

Any proton perdana owner please review
Firstly, that was a car based on an existing Mitsubishi.

Secondly, yourself dont know what kind of parts/repairs were done to your dad's car at that time for that sentence to carry any weight.

and finally, 2001 also I wouldn't buy Proton, much less 2021. Changemymind.jpg
joey2000
post Apr 7 2021, 03:06 PM

Getting Started
296 posts

You can test drive a Proton and a Honda or Toyota same range car.
The quality is different.
Mr Mercedes
post Apr 7 2021, 03:10 PM

Getting Started
90 posts

Proton Perdana should be quite reliable, both generations are rebadges of Japanese D Segment Sedans.
amad108
post Apr 7 2021, 03:16 PM

too much of something is bad enough
971 posts

honda ketam quality also questionable.. ask yourself what is your priority? and buy the vehicle according to that.. resale value is number 2 or 3, the most important thing is the vehicle can meet everyday usage for you..
FrogBlob
post Apr 7 2021, 03:37 PM

Getting Started
96 posts

QUOTE(acbc @ Apr 7 2021, 02:29 PM)
Buy at own risk. It's your money.

But personally, I won't touch it especially for Geely models.
Actually I have seen some distaste for the Geely rebands, any reason why?
I never drove or sit in them before, but I heard they are quite nice no?
acbc
post Apr 7 2021, 03:58 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,881 posts

QUOTE(FrogBlob @ Apr 7 2021, 03:37 PM)
Actually I have seen some distaste for the Geely rebands, any reason why?
I never drove or sit in them before, but I heard they are quite nice no?
No spare parts.

With more and more units on the road involving in accidents and breakdowns, the lack of spare parts will kill the brand. Other Proton models not affected because plenty of spare parts.
<-- no content -->
TSAng3237
post Apr 7 2021, 04:11 PM

17 posts

I just need a car not floating like a boat on highway (sorry bezza tho u took cared of me past few years)

If can be as fuel efficient as peroduas is ok, but normally im in city drive and go long distances (jb or penang) once a month

And also upgrade mainly for safety, now my bezza floating and dont even have ABS feel like driving plastic sometimes

Comfort as long aircond cold can already, high or low doesnt matter as long as is sedan and enough space for 3-4 people

Personally resale value im not so concerned because after upgrade will use for many years

Regarding looks im youngster lah..care abit, but because see ketam everywhere wanna drive something less people drive, then thinking proton oh wanna be patriotic but scare proton PARTS TIO KEK to me

This post has been edited by Ang3237: Apr 7 2021, 04:18 PM
Quazacolt
post Apr 7 2021, 04:18 PM

Riding couple
4,118 posts

QUOTE(Ang3237 @ Apr 7 2021, 04:11 PM)
I just need a car not floating like a boat on highway (sorry bezza tho u took cared of me past few years)

If can be as fuel efficient as peroduas is ok, but normally im in city drive and go long distances (jb or penang) once a month
Regarding looks im youngster lah.. because see ketam everywhere wanna drive something less people drive, then thinking proton oh wanna be patriotic but scare proton PARTS TIO KEK to me
Proton Iriz.
If need sedan Proton Persona

Anything better you need >120k c segment.
But Proton also everywhere, so maybe your youngster look unique cannot fulfill.
FrogBlob
post Apr 7 2021, 04:52 PM

Getting Started
96 posts

QUOTE(Ang3237 @ Apr 7 2021, 04:11 PM)

And also upgrade mainly for safety, now my bezza floating and dont even have ABS feel like driving plastic sometimes

Comfort as long aircond cold can already, high or low doesnt matter as long as is sedan and enough space for 3-4 people

Personally resale value im not so concerned because after upgrade will use for many years
Regarding looks im youngster lah..care abit, but because see ketam everywhere wanna drive something less people drive, then thinking proton oh wanna be patriotic but scare proton PARTS TIO KEK to me
I think people can give you a more detailed suggestion if you can give an estimation of your budget.
If you are open to used vehicles, you can read through some recent pages of this thread.
ktek
post Apr 7 2021, 05:43 PM

워터파크
9,468 posts

p1 buy the original design. not geely
ktek
post Apr 7 2021, 05:43 PM

워터파크
9,468 posts

p2 is not so good fc in reality
mffa
post Apr 7 2021, 07:37 PM

Casual
351 posts

Perdana for ultimate comfort. Long distance no tiring ride perdana

Civic ketam for ultimate pleasure. Can Corner like mad and still sticky to the road

Both very different purpose car. How to compare. lulz.
Steponlego
post Apr 7 2021, 08:18 PM

Getting Started
285 posts

QUOTE(Ang3237 @ Apr 7 2021, 02:23 PM)
bad fuel economy

After lurking around in FB Proton Persona/Gen2 group for few months, I can say there's some truth to this but, it was mostly caused by underlying engine issues plus driving style. And then you also need to consider what is 'bad fuel economy'. Many malaysians consider myvi as good fuel economy car, but then try to compare it with proton car with bigger engine and heavier chassis.

As the original campro 1.6 engine user in a Persona, I'd say it got pretty good fuel economy given the car size. Before this I got 8.2L/100km for city drive, but after fixing the knock sensor issue with the engine, now it's down to 7.2L/100km city drive and 6.8L/100km on highway, only 0.2 difference from the original manufacturer claim fuel consumption in the owner's manual (6.6L/100km cruising at 90km/h).

And if you look at average myvi fuel consumption on fuelly website, it seems that even the myvi averages around 7L/100km. So it's safe to say that the generalization that Proton = bad fuel economy is far from truth. In the end, it all depends on your driving style.
chicaman
post Apr 8 2021, 08:12 PM

( ;゚Д゚) t(-.-t)
9,459 posts

Check FB Group and you will find all kind of complaints for Proton Spare Parts
Zuchie
post Apr 8 2021, 08:20 PM

15 posts

All cars are same...why after repairs keep rosak again?...is mostly use not genuine spare parts.
All use parts...asal boleh... whether we do not know or ...mati2 di tipu by the seller of spare parts.
ry8128
post Apr 9 2021, 01:26 PM

♣Just a noob♣
2,861 posts

Nope, will never ever touch proton. The only local car i will buy is perodua.

Many ppl say proton is good based on their car specs. But in reality, the whole management system is a mess, thats why u see until today, proton is famous for 'parts not available' when u need to replace it.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0193sec    0.71    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 16th April 2021 - 10:31 AM