Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> HappyAudio S1 TWS Earphones, 12mm Drivers | Ergonomic Ear-Hook Design (Review)

views

TSvoncrane
post Apr 6 2021, 08:16 PM, updated 2y ago

Noir et fier!
7,058 posts

Hi and welcome to my in-depth review and demo of the in-ear HappyAudio S1 True Wireless Stereo or TWS earbuds. HappyAudio offers this in Green, White, and Black color (which I review here). The ergonomic ear-hook design sports a soft and durable flexible material for secure and comfortable wear for running, gym workouts, jogging, etc. I imagine some of us who wear prescription glasses, going nope!... this looks uncomfortable to wear with my frame. I had that initial feeling too. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find out these earbuds and hook shape are quite comfortable to wear and stays firmly in place despite my glass frame... I've got one of those wide comfy frames that don't wrap around behind the ears. Just have to learn how to put em on the right way each time. It's kinda like a "rope over the ear and slides in-downwards" motion. Over the course of this review, I wore them for long hours daily and never felt uncomfortable, even with additional face mask straps on. I felt no pain at all behind my ears and the whole thing felt so stable, yet so light… And they don't fall off during vigorous exercises. Just make sure you get the right fit by first testing out the 3 differently-sized silicone ear tips included in the box. Finding the best fit will allow you to enjoy a better listening experience. Here are some pictures followed by specifications.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Specifications
*Bluetooth Version: V5.0
*Control Type: Touch Control
*Supported Bluetooth Profiles: HSP, HFP, A2DP, AVRCP
*Waterproof Level: IPX7
*Frequency Range: 20-20KHz
*Speaker Impedance: 16Ω / 102±3dB
*Driver Size: 12mm
*Earbuds Playtime: 8 Hours (60mAH)
*Total Playtime: 56 Hours (800mAH
*Earbuds Charging Time: 1.5 Hours
*Case Charging Time: 2.5 Hours
*Case Charging Method: USB-C Quick Charge
*Charging Input: 5V/1A
*Included Ear tips: 3 Pairs (S/M/L)
*Earbud Dimensions (L*W*H): 53.77mm*41.19mm*29.99mm
*Weight
***Single earbud: 8g/0.3oz
***Case (with Earbuds): 95g/3.4oz
*Box Contents
1x User Manual
1x QC & Thank You Card
1x Silicone ear tips (2 sets)
1x USB type-c charging cable

Attached Image

From the above specs, the noteworthy specs are the IPX7 rating, making it not just water/sweat resistant, but actually waterproof. Theoretically, we should be able to submerge the earbuds in water that is less than 1 meter and leave in for up to 30 minutes, with no negative effect on the earbuds. Standard test la, however, I don't recommend you do that to this or any of your electronic devices though. It also promises Deep Bass, 8 hours of playtime per earbuds charge, and a massive 56 hours in total from subsequent Case charges. These excellent numbers are due to each earbud packing a 60mAH battery, and the charge/carry case packs a whopping 800mAH battery. The case capacity ensures that both earbuds can be fully charged at least 6 times, if not 7 times just off the case alone. I easily got between 48 hours and the claimed 56 hours of playtime. In my books, that's more than enough to power through a week or even 2 weeks (lighter usage) before needing to charge the case back up. Speaking of charging times, the earbuds take about 1 and a half hours, while the case plugged in, takes around 2 and a half hours for a full charge.

Attached Image

The transmission range is listed as the standard 10 meters; however, my tests show it's capable of almost double that range. I placed my phone in a closed-off room and walked off. Music continued to play smoothly until I got to around 17 meters or 56 feet, before stopping abruptly. Walking back within range initiates a swift reconnect and all's back to normal. I'd say that's excellent. The exterior of the case is made from plastic, but it's of the good kind. Matte black that I love as it is significantly less prone to fingerprint oils, dirt, and smudges. We have four LEDs on the front that indicate current case battery levels or when the case or earbuds within are charging. And on the back, we have a USB Type-C port for charging. No wireless charging supported here. The hinge on the inside is also made of plastic but appears to have some form of metal running through it, to provide durability. Neither the hinge nor case flex when pressed hard. It's just a solid block with an even weight to it (earbuds inside, else feels a tad bottom-heavy) and it opens and closes with a satisfying snap. Thus far, the only issue at this point is the size doesn't allow for one-handed operation. However, this is expected due to the shape and size of the battery and the earbuds themselves. I recommend watching the video to see exactly what I'm referencing here.. I've included timestamps for easier navigating. notworthy.gif

From the video, we can see that the placement of right and earbuds are reversed. Initially, this confused me (didn't get to explain this part properly in the video before shooting), but then I realized that it's to facilitate the right hand reaching over to the left side of the case, lifting the earbuds, and sliding the hook around the right ear. Repeating the same for the left ear. That's all fine and dandy until you want to place them back in the case. One would need to consciously remember to go right to left, & left to right. So.. yeah.. tad bit of a hassle there. Hopefully the S2??? would sort out that design "kink".

Pairing this with a new device is easy. Just open the box with the earbuds in it and the pairing mode is automatically triggered. Enable Bluetooth on the source device and tap on the newly found HappyAudio S1 profile ID. I was pleased to find that Mono and stereo modes are supported by this same single profile ID. Once paired, the red and white flashes stop and you can simply take one or both earbuds out of the case to enjoy. The Multifunction button or MFB is touch-sensitive and supports the following functions;

Attached Image Attached Image

You can also switch between 2 ongoing calls by long-pressing the MFB for 1.5 seconds on either earbud. This HappyAudio S1 is the first TWS earphone I've reviewed or seen with this particular feature... NICE!! The S1 also sports earbuds status Voice Prompts such as Connected/Disconnected, Power On/Off, TWS Connected, and Battery Low.

Calling performance is quite satisfactory when I used it with various VOIP or Internet calls such as Telegram, Skype, WhatsApp, and regular GSM or Mobile calling. I am yet to experience a single unexpectedly dropped Bluetooth connection either. The audio playback quality is quite good too. As I mentioned earlier, the premium 12mm dynamic drivers deliver professionally-tuned immersive crystal-clear sound with a silky treble, smooth mids, and really punchy bass at any volume. No Active Noise Cancellation or ANC feature here. However, I have to point out that the passive noise-canceling could be much much better IMO. But then, some might even argue that making you aware of external sounds is...actually...a desirable feature. One, outdoor exercise enthusiasts or runners might prefer. As it enables you to keep listening to detailed musical sound, and still be aware of happenings in your surroundings.

I test various media streaming apps off Microsoft's Windows, Mac OS X, Android, and iOS devices. Apps such as Netflix, YouTube, Spotify, and Tidal. I'm happy to announce that all audio-video playback was satisfactory... I.e, no noticeable lag or sync issues. The same is said for mobile gaming. I was able to enjoy hours of online multiplayer games without AV sync or lag issues. I plan to upload a separate video showing this and a couple of other latency tests. So kindly like & subscribe to my YouTube channel for more updates. Turn on the notifications as well.. Danke.. notworthy.gif

Verdict
Admittedly, these are not the most stylish. However, if you are on a limited budget, willing to embrace such a form factor (that actually works as advertised), and want impressive all-week battery life? These are a great value pair of affordable yet supremely comfortable and well-built TWS earphones.\

Purchase Links
Amazon
Official Website
Lazada Malaysia

Official HappyAudio Specific URLs
Website
Facebook
Twitter

If you are looking for cheap yet decent wired earphones? Check out my review of the HappyAudio W1 wired earphones.

This post has been edited by voncrane: Apr 6 2021, 08:21 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0183sec    0.44    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 14th August 2022 - 11:22 PM