Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> new Toyota Harrier vs new HRV

views

TSEnergyAnalyst
post Apr 6 2021, 09:17 AM, updated 7d ago

Regular
1,778 posts

https://www.wapcar.my/news/10-months-waitin...er-really-25834

10 months waiting list, 2021 Honda HR-V’s is more luxurious than a Harrier, really?

Hans
Apr 1, 2021 12:31 PM

The all-new Honda HR-V, which is known in Japan as the Vezel, will soon go on sale there on 23-April. Dealers have already been given an early preview of the sub-compact SUV and their response has been very positive.

The highest specifications Vezel e:HEV Play variant, which spots a two-tone colour interior, is said to be trimmed in materials that feel more expensive than a Toyota Harrier. That’s quite some high praise.

Sounds like mere dealer talk? Maybe, but the person behind Japanese publication Creative Trend, who also owns the current generation TNGA platform Toyota Harrier, concurs. He has declared that he himself has placed an order for the latest Vezel, but for the lower range e:HEV Z variant.

The simple reason is because demand for the highest range e:HEV Play has been overwhelming and the waiting list has stretched until January 2022.

Lower range variants can be delivered within this year, starting August 2021.

The delay for the e:HEV Play is related to parts supply shortage for its unique panoramic roof and the more complex production required for the 2-tone colour e:HEV Play. Shortage in supply of semiconductors, some specific only to the e:HEV Play variant, is also complicating matters.

The Honda Vezel will soon be joined by the Toyota Corolla Cross, which will also go on sale in Japan in Q3 this year. Toyota has yet to confirm if the Japanese market Corolla Cross will be made in Japan or imported from Thailand.

In any case, the Vezel is clearly a more upmarket, more sophisticated product than the more utilitarian-like Corolla Cross, targeting a different group of users.

Closer to home, the all-new 2021 Honda HR-V has already been spotted in Thailand, in full camo of course. The model is expected to make its debut ASEAN region by late-2021/early 2022, probably at November's Thailand International Motor Expo.

When it does make its way to Malaysia, don’t expect it to be cheap. The premium looking interior costs a lot to make and remember how our taxes work – a small RM 3,000 increase ex-factory wholesale price can suddenly balloon to RM 5,000 after tax. Increase in costs are amplified.

While the outgoing Honda HR-V is currently priced between RM 104k to RM 119k, don't expect the next-generation Honda HR-V to be priced this low. For reference, the bigger Honda CR-V is priced between RM 140k to RM 163k.

It’s also why there are rumours that a new model will be introduced, slotting below the HR-V, to fill the gap that will soon be left behind by the outgoing HR-V.

The WR-V nameplate has been suggested, according to our sources, but don’t mistake this for the Honda WR-V that’s currently on sale in Brazil and India. The next WR-V will be a totally different model.

Rustyee
post Apr 6 2021, 10:24 AM

20 posts

Hi TS, so assuming if one could afford either of these cars, would you go ahead with the Harrier or wait next year for the HRV?
littlefire
post Apr 6 2021, 11:07 AM

Enthusiast
728 posts

Totally 2 different category car for different people.
Vezel/HRV is small B-Segment SUV/Crossover while Harrier is almost D-Segment SUV. Got money buy both loo..
danielisme
post Apr 6 2021, 12:44 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,153 posts

totally different class ..wrong comparison
thinking of getting HRV, baik ambil X70
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Apr 6 2021, 12:48 PM

Regular
1,778 posts

QUOTE(Rustyee @ Apr 6 2021, 10:24 AM)
Hi TS, so assuming if one could afford either of these cars, would you go ahead with the Harrier or wait next year for the HRV?
Info is scarce at this moment , we don't know what is the spec and price of both. Even if we know soon Harrier but HRV/Vezel?

Also Nissan Kick may be in consideration if it comes in with e-Power, don't count it out yet (unless it is not coming in at all, though multiple reports said it will

https://www.wapcar.my/news/proton-x50-vs-ni...-practical-1724

To be honest , I am amazed at the speed of launches UMW is doing these days also most like how Honda had all these years, so it is now Nissan/TCM the laggard.
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Apr 6 2021, 12:51 PM

Regular
1,778 posts

QUOTE(danielisme @ Apr 6 2021, 12:44 PM)
totally different class ..wrong comparison
thinking of getting HRV, baik ambil X70
Not thinking of sticking with pure ICE cars, so only thinking of hybrid or pure BEV
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Apr 6 2021, 12:57 PM

Regular
1,778 posts

QUOTE(littlefire @ Apr 6 2021, 11:07 AM)
Totally 2 different category car for different people.
Vezel/HRV is small B-Segment SUV/Crossover while Harrier is almost D-Segment SUV. Got money buy both loo..
Yes.they are, my questions is if new Harrier is priced like a XC40 recharge, assuming if you have the money , which one would you buy? And why?
littlefire
post Apr 6 2021, 02:19 PM

Enthusiast
728 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Apr 6 2021, 01:57 PM)
Yes.they are, my questions is if new Harrier is priced like a XC40 recharge, assuming if you have the money , which one would you buy? And why?
Some people like smaller car, some people like bigger cars.
For Harrier, it is for sure a more comfort ride for bigger person due to D-Segment.
If the person is small prefer a city car the new Vezel/HRV would be a suitable choice.

FYI, XC40 is damn small for it's size as similar to smaller C-Segment SUV. If you ask typical Asian guys most of us will pick Harrier due to its legendary Toyota reliability compare to Volvo.
Deja Vu
post Apr 6 2021, 04:01 PM

Regular
1,771 posts

Different class of vehicle. Like comparing a Gucci bag with an Ikea carrier bag. Both will still serve by carrying items inside, but each has its own target of use or users.

You're unlikely to hear those buying a BMW X1 or Merc GLA rant about their cars having lower tech than eg. a X70. In this case the latest HRV is trying to punch into the class above, whereas the Harrier is more suited for those appreciating the finer details.

TSEnergyAnalyst
post Apr 6 2021, 04:10 PM

Regular
1,778 posts

QUOTE(littlefire @ Apr 6 2021, 02:19 PM)
Some people like smaller car, some people like bigger cars.
For Harrier, it is for sure a more comfort ride for bigger person due to D-Segment.
If the person is small prefer a city car the new Vezel/HRV would be a suitable choice.

FYI, XC40 is damn small for it's size as similar to smaller C-Segment SUV. If you ask typical Asian guys most of us will pick Harrier due to its legendary Toyota reliability compare to Volvo.
The point is one is a PHEV another is just old schools hybrid.

XC40 Recharge fuel.economy is 2.2L/100 km while new Harrier is still 4.7L/100 km
<-- no content -->
littlefire
post Apr 6 2021, 04:39 PM

Enthusiast
728 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Apr 6 2021, 05:10 PM)
The point is one is a PHEV another is just old schools hybrid.

XC40 Recharge fuel.economy is 2.2L/100 km while new Harrier is still 4.7L/100 km
Still Harrier is a bigger, comfort & reliable car, people which can pay such a expensive ride wont care about the 2L difference.
constant_weight
post Apr 6 2021, 05:16 PM

Getting Started
178 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Apr 6 2021, 12:57 PM)
XC40 anytime. I can't accept the power deficit on new Harrier, it is a big SUV.

I'm not a SUV person, but if I'm in market for one.

B segment 180hp+
C segment 250hp+
Executive C segment 300hp+
D segment/7 seaters 400hp+

Those are not drive fast performance requirement. To me, those are thresholds for SUV not to struggle with fully loaded family + luggage.

Imagine, 2 adults + 2 kids typically small young family, full luggages with stroller etc in the trunks going on a road trips.
Your kids are sleeping, on premium sound systems going up Genting slowly, enjoy the views and casual small talk with wife, giggles along the way. Won't you prefer your car not to rev hard, for the family comfort? I do.

The power reserve allow me to be that anal asshole who drive slow hill climb in complete serenity. I also don't need to carry a lot of speed into the corner in low 2nd gear and throw passengers around (worse in SUV). Anytime a commercial truck is obstructing the way, easy overtake swiftly. Being able to overtake quickly is for family safety too.

For performance, perfect family car would be the 600hp Audi RS6 Wagon. Wagon has 90% of SUV loading space, with the low center of gravity of a sedan.
Still working hard to own one, until then my current 400hp is the compromise.

P/S: I had 1050kg 1.6NA Corolla before, I know the struggles during hill climb very well. Someone slow down in front of me felt like end of the world, the car would take forever to get back into speed. With family+luggages, 3rd gear floor the throttle, the freaking speed was dropping at some sections, had to drop back to 2nd gear.

This post has been edited by constant_weight: Apr 6 2021, 05:18 PM
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Apr 6 2021, 05:22 PM

Regular
1,778 posts

QUOTE(littlefire @ Apr 6 2021, 04:39 PM)
Still Harrier is a bigger, comfort & reliable car, people which can pay such a expensive ride wont care about the 2L difference.
Bet they will care about the nice parking reserved for PHEV and BEV though

This post has been edited by EnergyAnalyst: Apr 6 2021, 05:22 PM
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Apr 6 2021, 05:25 PM

Regular
1,778 posts

QUOTE(constant_weight @ Apr 6 2021, 05:16 PM)
XC40 anytime. I can't accept the power deficit on new Harrier, it is a big SUV.

I'm not a SUV person, but if I'm in market for one.

B segment 180hp+
C segment 250hp+
Executive C segment 300hp+
D segment/7 seaters 400hp+

Those are not drive fast performance requirement. To me, those are thresholds for SUV not to struggle with fully loaded family + luggage.

Imagine, 2 adults + 2 kids typically small young family, full luggages with stroller etc in the trunks going on a road trips.
Your kids are sleeping, on premium sound systems going up Genting slowly, enjoy the views and casual small talk with wife, giggles along the way. Won't you prefer your car not to rev hard, for the family comfort? I do.

The power reserve allow me to be that anal asshole who drive slow hill climb in complete serenity. I also don't need to carry a lot of speed into the corner in low 2nd gear and throw passengers around (worse in SUV). Anytime a commercial truck is obstructing the way, easy overtake swiftly. Being able to overtake quickly is for family safety too.

For performance, perfect family car would be the 600hp Audi RS6 Wagon. Wagon has 90% of SUV loading space, with the low center of gravity of a sedan.
Still working hard to own one, until then my current 400hp is the compromise.

P/S: I had 1050kg 1.6NA Corolla before, I know the struggles during hill climb very well. Someone slow down in front of me felt like end of the world, the car would take forever to get back into speed. With family+luggages, 3rd gear floor the throttle, the freaking speed was dropping at some sections, had to drop back to 2nd gear.
You know constant_weight, you sure touch on a real weight related consideration. In fact that is also why a lot of complaint about "why no more turbo " for new harrier , not that it matters to me though
metalfire
post Apr 6 2021, 05:28 PM

Casual
357 posts

wrong comparison different segment
ktek
post Apr 6 2021, 06:40 PM

워터파크
9,477 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Apr 6 2021, 12:57 PM)
then u make new article laa
no need copy from non sense web site like a wapcar
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Apr 6 2021, 07:43 PM

Regular
1,778 posts

QUOTE(metalfire @ Apr 6 2021, 05:28 PM)
wrong comparison different segment
Everybody compares segments to segments,

Being in a segment does not give you the immunity
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Apr 6 2021, 08:01 PM

Regular
1,778 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Apr 6 2021, 06:40 PM)

confused.gif
metalfire
post Apr 6 2021, 08:04 PM

Casual
357 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Apr 6 2021, 07:43 PM)
Everybody compares segments to segments,

Being in a segment does not give you the immunity
QUOTE(ktek @ Apr 6 2021, 06:40 PM)
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Apr 7 2021, 11:27 AM

Regular
1,778 posts

QUOTE(metalfire @ Apr 6 2021, 08:04 PM)

The piece was reported by Hans, Head of content with over 15 years of experience in automotive, from product planning, to market research, to print and digital media. [QUOTE]

Calling it non sense website is the real nonsense.

Still think comparing different segment is unusual?
Well think again. It is happening all the time.

https://www.zigwheels.my/car-news/proton-x5...ences-explained

https://www.carlist.my/news/toyota-corolla-...on-82263/82263/

https://www.carlist.my/news/best-mpvs-of-20...se-80506/80506/

https://www.carlist.my/news/proton-x50-vs-p...5l-79494/79494/

https://<link removed>/2021/02/19/perodua-d55l...ecs-comparison/

https://<link removed>/2021/03/16/toyota-corol...c-segment-suvs/

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0261sec    0.26    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 20th April 2021 - 12:37 AM