Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

repaint bumper with third party insurance claim, repaint bumper

views

TShumbleman
post Apr 6 2021, 08:40 AM, updated 3y ago

Getting Started
59 posts

recently my bumper got hit from the car behind. I got the police report and went to a panel workshop by the insurance company. The guy told me the white color painted will be different from mine. Is it acceptable? Can I ask them to paint the original white color? I think each car color got its own code. Btw, my car is a 8 year old car. Any advice? Thanks.
lawrencesha
post Apr 6 2021, 08:44 AM

Enthusiast
858 posts

Go to 4S center instead of panel workshop.
Chrix
post Apr 6 2021, 08:46 AM

Regular
1,082 posts

QUOTE(humbleman @ Apr 6 2021, 08:40 AM)
recently my bumper got hit from the car behind. I got the police report and went to a panel workshop by the insurance company. The guy told me the white color painted will be different from mine. Is it acceptable? Can I ask them to paint the original white color? I think each car color got its own code. Btw, my car is a 8 year old car. Any advice? Thanks.
Your car right now, has been under worn by weather, environmental factors, human made factor, and other external factors for 8 years..New paint will never 100% match, rather it being measured via a device or by a good eye. A good paint job can get very close, but the price match the product/service.

You can try going to another panel, but they will just not tell you that statement, the outcome is pretty similar. Most panel workshop are going fast job, instead of good job.

Its just a disclaimer, as when you deal with customer who do not understand how things work, they can have unrealistic expectations.
TShumbleman
post Apr 6 2021, 08:47 AM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(lawrencesha @ Apr 6 2021, 08:44 AM)
Go to 4S center instead of panel workshop.
I tried but they wanted to replace the whole bumper instead of painting only.. which will cost me 35% betterment..
TShumbleman
post Apr 6 2021, 08:48 AM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(Chrix @ Apr 6 2021, 08:46 AM)
Your car right now, has been under worn by weather, environmental factors, human made factor, and other external factors for 8 years..New paint will never 100% match, rather it being measured via a device or by a good eye. A good paint job can get very close, but the price match the product/service.

You can try going to another panel, but they will just not tell you that statement, the outcome is pretty similar. Most panel workshop are going fast job, instead of good job.

Its just a disclaimer, as when you deal with customer who do not understand how things work, they can have unrealistic expectations.
I got your points but at least if use the same color code, it will get as close as possible....
Zot
post Apr 6 2021, 08:57 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(humbleman @ Apr 6 2021, 08:48 AM)
I got your points but at least if use the same color code, it will get as close as possible....
I don't know about that workshop. It does not matter how old is your car. Yes the original color might change but the paint can be mixed to match the color.

The workshop can go to shop that specialized in color mixing. They just need to provide sample. The mixing is computerized and the paint will be mixed to match the color. Why not call another authorized workshop?
Zot
post Apr 6 2021, 08:58 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(humbleman @ Apr 6 2021, 08:47 AM)
I tried but they wanted to replace the whole bumper instead of painting only.. which will cost me 35% betterment..
They want to make money. Replacing the bumper will not make color the same either. What is the reason to change to gave?
TShumbleman
post Apr 6 2021, 09:08 AM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Apr 6 2021, 08:57 AM)
I don't know about that workshop. It does not matter how old is your car. Yes the original color might change but the paint can be mixed to match the color.

The workshop can go to shop that specialized in color mixing. They just need to provide sample. The mixing is computerized and the paint will be mixed to match the color. Why not call another authorized workshop?
okay, i'll try.. i just afraid it's just an industry practice for insurance workshop panel..
TShumbleman
post Apr 6 2021, 09:09 AM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Apr 6 2021, 08:58 AM)
They want to make money. Replacing the bumper will not make color the same either. What is the reason to change to gave?
no much reason.. .they just don't do the painting only for insurance claim...
Zot
post Apr 6 2021, 09:17 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(humbleman @ Apr 6 2021, 09:08 AM)
okay, i'll try.. i just afraid it's just an industry practice for insurance workshop panel..
It is not the practice.

When you go for repair under warranty, the workshop will repair but if you found out certain part is not original and to complained to insurance company, the reply you get is, "if you are not happy with the work ask them to fix until you are satisfied. We do not know how they repair your car." whistling.gif

Once workshop told me that they get the paint match using computerized mixing system. Not a problem. I can see not difference at all as if no repainting at all. The plastic bumper they need to put another base layer which some cheap shops do not apply before repainting. This will make the paint easily peeled when hit by gravels.
TShumbleman
post Apr 6 2021, 09:26 AM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Apr 6 2021, 09:17 AM)
It is not the practice.

When you go for repair under warranty, the workshop will repair but if you found out certain part is not original and to complained to insurance company, the reply you get is, "if you are not happy with the work ask them to fix until you are satisfied. We do not know how they repair your car."  whistling.gif

Once workshop told me that they get the paint match using computerized mixing system. Not a problem. I can see not difference at all as if no repainting at all. The plastic bumper they need to put another base layer which some cheap shops do not apply before repainting. This will make the paint easily peeled when hit by gravels.
Thanks for sharing ur experience. I'll nego with them again.
TShumbleman
post Apr 6 2021, 09:46 AM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Apr 6 2021, 09:17 AM)
It is not the practice.

When you go for repair under warranty, the workshop will repair but if you found out certain part is not original and to complained to insurance company, the reply you get is, "if you are not happy with the work ask them to fix until you are satisfied. We do not know how they repair your car."  whistling.gif

btw, is ur workshop in jb?
Zot
post Apr 6 2021, 09:54 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(humbleman @ Apr 6 2021, 09:46 AM)
btw, is ur workshop in jb?
No. I'm in Penang.
danielisme
post Apr 6 2021, 12:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,211 posts

8 YEARS old. sure will be different even use same colour code and same brand.
scorgio
post Apr 7 2021, 12:24 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,571 posts

Just complete the repair soonest possible & move on.

Don't care what computer color match, computerized mixing whatever. Even after all that, once sprayed onto the bumper, it's obvious the bumper is newly sprayed & will look in stark with ur existing paint.
set
post Apr 7 2021, 11:25 AM

Casual
352 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Apr 6 2021, 09:54 AM)
No. I'm in Penang.
can provide company name and address?
Zot
post Apr 8 2021, 08:19 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(set @ Apr 7 2021, 11:25 AM)
can provide company name and address?
It was quite long time. It was not even like shop. My friend took me there. It was like kampung area in Raja Uda gangster area last time. Now totally different and I could not recognize the place.

Had to go through an alley and it was like business in house area. However, I was surprised that there was an antique Rolls Royce belong to late Sultan Kedah. He told me he don't need to rush on that one because the owner was not chasing laugh.gif The car looked good though. smile.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0164sec    0.39    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:48 PM