Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Tidal Master vs Spotify Premium

views

TSmissmataleo
post Mar 29 2021, 06:20 AM, updated 4y ago

Getting Started
99 posts

just now i tried both of the apps just by using my m50x and e17k. from my perspective, theres abit different in term of sound quality between both apps. tidal abit clearer and sound abit high resolution. but hardly to notice it. i try the apps side by side. maybe my equipment not that good to hear the differences clearly. but still im happy can listen to a good flac format audio. now i understand what 4k in sound definition means lol.

im aiming to upgrade to sundara and ifi zan dac. maybe can hear much more differences
HaleYeah
post Mar 29 2021, 09:28 AM

Getting Started
65 posts

Tidal is using MQA, it's essentially a compressed lossless file streaming, meaning it's still lossy. If you're a nerd who likes to find out about these kind of stuff, it'll be useful info hehe.

Our ears differs, some can hear the difference while some can't. I'm on the spectrum of can't hehe. Good move for Spotify to go HiFi though, excepting more to follow the HiFi trend soon.
ktek
post Mar 29 2021, 01:08 PM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,546 posts

QUOTE(HaleYeah @ Mar 29 2021, 09:28 AM)
Tidal is using MQA, it's essentially a compressed lossless file streaming, meaning it's still lossy. If you're a nerd who likes to find out about these kind of stuff, it'll be useful info hehe.

Our ears differs, some can hear the difference while some can't. I'm on the spectrum of can't hehe. Good move for Spotify to go HiFi though, excepting more to follow the HiFi trend soon.
compress size lossless kira lossy ?
not compress dynamic oh
HaleYeah
post Mar 29 2021, 05:55 PM

Getting Started
65 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Mar 29 2021, 01:08 PM)
compress size lossless kira lossy ?
not compress dynamic oh
When it's compressed, it's not lossless already. cool2.gif
ktek
post Mar 29 2021, 06:27 PM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,546 posts

QUOTE(HaleYeah @ Mar 29 2021, 05:55 PM)
When it's compressed, it's not lossless already.  cool2.gif
har. then which file is true lossless
macam wave & pcm two only
xxboxx
post Mar 29 2021, 10:01 PM

The mind is for having ideas, not holding them
5,093 posts

You have to volume matched between the 2 for fair comparison. If either 1 is slightly louder will make your brain interpret it as better sounding.
penmarker
post Mar 29 2021, 10:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,002 posts

All sound files are compressed, that's how digital files are created and stored.
MQA is lossless. Same as WAV, FLAC, DSD.
ktek
post Mar 30 2021, 07:22 AM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,546 posts

QUOTE(penmarker @ Mar 29 2021, 10:46 PM)
All sound files are compressed, that's how digital files are created and stored.
we same idea lo.
compress size not compress dynamic
ClieOS
post Mar 30 2021, 08:14 AM

In-Ear Addict
1,097 posts

Don't care much about Tidal simply because a lot of the music I listened to is not on Tidal's catalog. With Spotify planning to stream lossless music in the near future, there is even less reason to consider Tidal.
Andrewtst
post Apr 6 2021, 11:13 PM

Forgiveness is Happiness
All Stars
28,109 posts

I do subscribe to Tidal Master but I 99% listen to Apple Music, I hope Apple next move is support lossless in Apple Music as well.
Tidal catalog is not enough and their recommendation is somehow not as good as others.

Spotify never care as never like it. Haha!

This post has been edited by Andrewtst: Apr 6 2021, 11:14 PM
dayojah
post Apr 7 2021, 09:23 AM

Regular
1,268 posts

QUOTE(penmarker @ Mar 29 2021, 10:46 PM)
MQA is not lossless, LSBs of the audio frequency part is replaced with an encoding of ultrasonic parts.
These are lost for good and cannot be recovered.
If you don't have a MQA DAC, these are just a raised noise floor.

What is far more important though, is which version of the track are you listening to. Tidal and Spotify are not always using the same "master"

This post has been edited by dayojah: Apr 7 2021, 09:24 AM
Calebraj
post Apr 19 2021, 12:10 PM

Casual
452 posts

Just tried both Spotify and Tidal Hi Fi.

Comparison:
Tidal have much better resulution than Spotify. (on the same track for comparison).
But that id due to the Tidal Hifi runs on CD format i believe (16 bit, 44.1kHz).

So the Tidal noise Floor is much more quiet. Dynamics are better, voices sounds better.

MQA, have never tried it yet. So can't comment.
I am happy to stick to Tidal Hi Fi.

Watching some videos on MQA, and some said it is either upsamples, and some says it modifies the sound.
So staying away for now...

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0159sec    0.37    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:58 PM