Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

will wordpress take over web dev?

views

TSGrammar Police
post Mar 24 2021, 04:42 PM, updated 4y ago

Casual
332 posts

i offered my friend my skills to help him set up an e commerce site but he said he dont need

later i found out he didnt need to have any web dev skills but he just use wordpress

pretty much plug and play like those WYSIWYG editor, pretty much no need to learn web dev

so...time to start learning how to make wordpress plugins?

This post has been edited by Grammar Police: Mar 24 2021, 04:59 PM
malleus
post Mar 24 2021, 07:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

QUOTE(Grammar Police @ Mar 24 2021, 04:42 PM)
i offered my friend my skills to help him set up an e commerce site but he said he dont need

later i found out he didnt need to have any web dev skills but he just use wordpress

pretty much plug and play like those WYSIWYG editor, pretty much no need to learn web dev

if you think you can earn a living out of it, then why not?
ketnave
post Mar 24 2021, 07:37 PM

Enthusiast
850 posts

As long as you are addressing the need and gap in the market, sure thing !
FlierMate
post Mar 26 2021, 12:26 AM

On my way
Validating
543 posts

Now they have no-code apps as well.

This post has been edited by FlierMate: Mar 27 2021, 02:02 PM
silverhawk
post Mar 30 2021, 09:52 AM

I'm Positively Lustrous
Group Icon
Elite
4,737 posts

No it won't. Web dev is not just e-commerce. Wordpress also can't be used to power sites like lazada. Wordpress e-commerce plugins like woocommerce is good for small-medium sized businesses.

Personally I wouldn't recommend getting into the wordpress side if you have a developer mindset. You earn much more, with much less headache in other arenas.
pujan
post Apr 8 2021, 10:09 AM

Getting Started
83 posts

QUOTE(silverhawk @ Mar 30 2021, 09:52 AM)
No it won't. Web dev is not just e-commerce. Wordpress also can't be used to power sites like lazada. Wordpress e-commerce plugins like woocommerce is good for small-medium sized businesses.

Personally I wouldn't recommend getting into the wordpress side if you have a developer mindset. You earn much more, with much less headache in other arenas.
QUOTE(c2lia @ Apr 7 2021, 08:27 PM)
I'm learning MERN development through youtube and some online resources. One thing that bother me is is there any way I can make the development process still work in offline environment? What I mean is if I do the following command:
[CODE]yarn add express[CODE]
That would require me to be online for the command to not throw error. So how ah?

I was thinking maybe I can download most of those library (or whatever) that I would normally needed into one local folder in my machine. Then next time I can ran the code while offline and it'll fetch from that folder instead.
I agree with this. Think of WordPress as a lot more custom (at least in its possibilities) websites, but if he's planning to just use the WordPress architecture (adding on through Plugins etc.) then it's not going to be everything. There are a lot more to web development than just CMS.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0135sec    0.15    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:05 AM