Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Hardware How to upgrade MacBook Air 2017 SSD?, Which compatible SSD to buy?

views

TSheart strings
post Mar 19 2021, 08:30 AM, updated 4y ago

Getting Started
252 posts

Hi guys, I have a MacBook Air 2017 A1466 model. My 128GB disk space is running out and looking to upgrade the SSD. Searching online I saw there are some guide that have the exact model / type that can fit in perfectly and some needed an adapter. So can anyone guide me which type is SSD to buy?
Nvme?
M.2 Nvme?
Sata SSD?
Need to have additional adapter?
Would prefer without adapter as having that will reduce the speed ?

Looking for some answer from the expert here!
PoisonSoul
post Mar 19 2021, 03:29 PM

Regular
1,740 posts

QUOTE(heart strings @ Mar 19 2021, 08:30 AM)
Hi guys, I have a MacBook Air 2017 A1466 model. My 128GB disk space is running out and looking to upgrade the SSD. Searching online I saw there are some guide that have the exact model / type that can fit in perfectly and some needed an adapter. So can anyone guide me which type is SSD to buy?
Nvme?
M.2 Nvme?
Sata SSD?
Need to have additional adapter?
Would prefer without adapter as having that will reduce the speed ?

Looking for some answer from the expert here!
SATA SSD is the size of your external hard disk @ 2.5".
M.2 = the long stick kind. The one which is in your MBA now. M.2 kinda means that your SSD's width is 22cm.

You will need either M.2 NVMe vs M.2 SATA.
SATA = generally your HDD's speed maxed at 600MB/s.

That doesn't mean that if you buy M.2 SATA SSD that the speed is going to be similar to a HDD. I am not sure how but of course M.2 SATA SSD is going to be way faster than a HDD.

SATA and PCIe NVMe are bus types.
That's why you will see PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD or NVMe M.2 SSD or rarely PCIe M.2 SSD.
It's like telling everyone that you are using the best highway (PCIe NVMe), driving the best car design (M.2).

SATA M.2 supports Key M and Key B.
NVMe M.2 supports key M only.

You can install SATA M.2 Key M + B on NVMe slot. NVMe SSD CANNOT install into SATA M.2 slot. Not a chance.

Sorry back to your case.
Need to have adapter -> YES if you are going with like mainstream brands. They are not Key M nor Key B.
Which type of SSD to choose -> Just go for NVMe M.2 SSDs if you are going with an adaptor.

Different types of SSD Explained
EveryMac MBA SSD Upgrade Guide
EveryMac your MBA specs. Head to Standard Storage to view more.

I don't own a mac but I know a little thing or two about it. I can't answer on the performance but definitely without adapter is 100% going to be faster. Hope something helps here!
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This post has been edited by PoisonSoul: Mar 19 2021, 03:29 PM
eikozai
post Mar 22 2021, 03:13 PM

1,115 posts

I bought this last time for my friend's MBA storage upgrade.
Everything is plug n play.
But you need to prepare the MacOS installer file in a thumb drive.

Transcend SSD
https://shopee.com.my/Transcend-MTE220S-NVM...9824.6713616509

SSD Adaptor
https://shopee.com.my/ACASIS-Apple-MacBook-...0473.9910617919
TSheart strings
post Mar 23 2021, 01:43 PM

Getting Started
252 posts

QUOTE(PoisonSoul @ Mar 19 2021, 03:29 PM)
SATA SSD is the size of your external hard disk @ 2.5".
M.2 = the long stick kind. The one which is in your MBA now. M.2 kinda means that your SSD's width is 22cm.

You will need either M.2 NVMe vs M.2 SATA.
SATA = generally your HDD's speed maxed at 600MB/s.

That doesn't mean that if you buy M.2 SATA SSD that the speed is going to be similar to a HDD. I am not sure how but of course M.2 SATA SSD is going to be way faster than a HDD.

SATA and PCIe NVMe are bus types.
That's why you will see PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD or NVMe M.2 SSD or rarely PCIe M.2 SSD.
It's like telling everyone that you are using the best highway (PCIe NVMe), driving the best car design (M.2).

SATA M.2 supports Key M and Key B.
NVMe M.2 supports key M only.

You can install SATA M.2 Key M + B on NVMe slot. NVMe SSD CANNOT install into SATA M.2 slot. Not a chance.

Sorry back to your case.
Need to have adapter -> YES if you are going with like mainstream brands. They are not Key M nor Key B.
Which type of SSD to choose -> Just go for NVMe M.2 SSDs if you are going with an adaptor.

Different types of SSD Explained
EveryMac MBA SSD Upgrade Guide
EveryMac your MBA specs. Head to Standard Storage to view more.

I don't own a mac but I know a little thing or two about it. I can't answer on the performance but definitely without adapter is 100% going to be faster. Hope something helps here!
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

QUOTE(eikozai @ Mar 22 2021, 03:13 PM)
I bought this last time for my friend's MBA storage upgrade.
Everything is plug n play.
But you need to prepare the MacOS installer file in a thumb drive.

Transcend SSD
https://shopee.com.my/Transcend-MTE220S-NVM...9824.6713616509

SSD Adaptor
https://shopee.com.my/ACASIS-Apple-MacBook-...0473.9910617919
Thanks guys! Really appreciate this. I bought the nvme ssd from the shopee link above. Hopefully everything goes well
eikozai
post Mar 23 2021, 04:45 PM

1,115 posts

QUOTE(heart strings @ Mar 23 2021, 01:43 PM)
Thanks guys! Really appreciate this. I bought the nvme ssd from the shopee link above. Hopefully everything goes well
All the best, shouldn't have any problem with this upgrade.

1) Download the latest MacOS, transfer the file to thumb drive. This drive is now called "Bootable Installer".
2) Turn off your MBA.
3) Proceeds to plug in new SSD, and keep the original SSD just in case you need it back. You can hot swap in if u need your data here.
4) Plug in your Bootable Installer into your MBA usb port.
5) Boot up your Mac into Mac Recovery mode, by holding Option key. Please do take note, CMD-R doesn't work now, because your SSD is empty and do not store any Mac recovery drivers.
6) Select your thumb drive, and you will see your MacOS.
7) Let it run and install.

Voila! It should run well upon booted up.
You can now run CMD-R to access recovery from Time Machine if you have the backup copies.

Hope this do enlighten you. Alternatively, you can try youtube around to understand further on the whole process. It will give you more confidence.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0126sec    0.19    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:49 PM