3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Should I buy a UPS?, for my desktop PC

views

TSkira_88
post Mar 16 2021, 03:44 PM, updated 4y ago

Hello, is it me you're looking for?
1,105 posts

So currently my house have like sudden blackout that can happen as frequent as few times a day or few times a week.

Since I'm WFH now so quite annoying as I'm using a desktop so the PC will just suddenly turnoff everytime it happen and somtimes some of my documents are lost despite the recover option for microsoft office. Plus I'm thinking will there be negative effect on my hardware due to this?

The power will just lost for few seconds only, 1 minutes top.

Planning to buy a UPS so that atleast it will have a back up power in case of another blackout, and also not sure of which to get. Saw in shopee it can be as cheap as 100+ up to thousands

Christopher_LKL
post Mar 16 2021, 03:55 PM

Kairi Kawaii ^^
1,398 posts

in your case its a good idea to get an UPS, hardware wise wont affect much if u have a decent power supply, however your data loss is more important, you never know when next time what will be loss or corrupted.

since its a few seconds to few minutes I believe a normal standard sub-RM100-200 should be enough. (still depends on the load).
sHawTY
post Mar 16 2021, 03:58 PM

Frequent Reporter
All Stars
14,628 posts

Yes, you should use UPS
I'm using UPS for both my gaming PC & the internet at home

But the UPS for PC is only for shutting down the gaming PC safely instead of unsafe shutdown because of sudden power loss
The other UPS for my internet is supplying power for both the BTU & the router so that I can still use the internet for several hours even when the electricity is gone
TSkira_88
post Mar 16 2021, 04:01 PM

1,105 posts

QUOTE(Christopher_LKL @ Mar 16 2021, 03:55 PM)
in your case its a good idea to get an UPS, hardware wise wont affect much if u have a decent power supply, however your data loss is more important, you never know when next time what will be loss or corrupted.

since its a few seconds to few minutes I believe a normal standard sub-RM100-200 should be enough. (still depends on the load).
Thanks for the feedback

Do u happen to know if Powerlogic Koss is a good brand? found one model with 850va for rm175. APC is too expensive with rm900+ for 900va model
kkm
post Mar 16 2021, 04:04 PM

Regular
1,192 posts

Yes, all you need is maybe 10 mins backup time to close your files, a simple UPS will do. Don't forget it's just for the PC. Don't plug your laser printer or other stuff into the UPS.
wKkaY
post Mar 16 2021, 04:05 PM

misutā supākoru
Group Icon
VIP
6,008 posts

Yes, it's definitely useful in your case. You just need one powerful enough for your PC and monitor. Just connect the UPS outlets to them, and leave everything else (especially laser printers) connected to the wall.
Christopher_LKL
post Mar 16 2021, 04:09 PM

Kairi Kawaii ^^
1,398 posts

a standard "line interactive" models, i think brand does not matter much as most if not almost identical internally. for a 850VA, it should be sufficient for a load of around 500W (use 850VA x 0.8PF then x0.8 again because being caution)

those expensive like the 1 you mentioned APC 900VA are usually "online" UPS.

most users dont need it
TristanX
post Mar 16 2021, 04:24 PM

Where is my stars?
Group Icon
Elite
23,662 posts

Make sure the UPS is more powerful than your PC and monitor.

Example:
1000W (excluding monitor) equals

1000 / 0.6 = 1666.66VA

UPS with 2000VA is recommended.

This post has been edited by TristanX: Mar 16 2021, 04:26 PM
TSkira_88
post Mar 16 2021, 04:39 PM

1,105 posts

QUOTE(TristanX @ Mar 16 2021, 04:24 PM)

Example:

1000 / 0.6 = 1666.66VA

My current setup power draw never exceed 400w even on full load stress test despite using a 1000w PSU and this actually include my speaker and printer on.

Around 140w idle/some light activity(browsing,excel,power point) and 350w gaming.

So is it safe to use 400w for calculations?

400 / 0.6 = 666.67VA

800-1000va ups should be enough right as 2000va is expensive sweat.gif
TristanX
post Mar 16 2021, 04:42 PM

Where is my stars?
Group Icon
Elite
23,662 posts

QUOTE(kira_88 @ Mar 16 2021, 04:39 PM)
My current setup power draw never exceed 400w even on full load stress test despite using a 1000w PSU and this actually include my speaker and printer on.

Around 140w idle/some light activity(browsing,excel,power point) and 350w gaming.

So is it safe to use 400w for calculations?

400 / 0.6 = 666.67VA

800-1000va ups should be enough right as 2000va is expensive sweat.gif
Then don't use 1000W PSU. I have no experience with "lower" power draw. My experience with 650W and budget 800VA UPS is bad. It triggers overload.

TSkira_88
post Mar 16 2021, 04:59 PM

1,105 posts

QUOTE(TristanX @ Mar 16 2021, 04:42 PM)
Then don't use 1000W PSU. I have no experience with "lower" power draw. My experience with 650W and budget 800VA UPS is bad. It triggers overload.
Been using this since last time was doing SLI setup and old gen gpu & cpu power draw is no joke comparing to current gen, haven't change since it stills going strong.

Maybe it's time to change then sweat.gif
louyeh
post Mar 16 2021, 06:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

According to your peak load of 400w, a 1000w UPS will give you about 7 minutes of battery backup time. This is on basis that the batteries can still hold its 100% capacity.

1. Which protection are you more concerned on?
Irregular voltage (spike/dips) and/or inconvenience of power supply interruption

Line interactive UPS for the former.
Online UPS for the later.

Overload protection is a plus, else the UPS will just shutdown instantly. A word though, even with overload protection, its just a temporary measure and will still auto shutdown after X period for Y% overload.

2. Malaysia standard warranty for UPS is 3 years for electronics failure, 2 years for batteries.

Koss, Neuropower, Powerlogic, Power Solutions, Right Power to name a few known local UPS resellers. Don't be surprised if some of them look similar to one another as these are just OEM and rebranded locally. The price you are paying for is the after sales service.

If you are confident and know how to replace these batteries, then just look for the cheapest bargain.

Batteries will need to be replaced every 2-3 years at worst case. You're lucky if it goes to 4-5 years and more. Anything lesser indicates a problem with the batteries itself or environment.

Online UPS tend to be hotter due to the Inverter and Charging circuit running constantly. You will definitely feel an increase of temperature if the online UPS is in the same room as the PC (without aircond).

12 VDC 7.2Ah Sealed Lead Acid battery is the common type. Some will use 12 VDC 9Ah which is not sold by every battery manufacturer due to limited demand.

3. 3KVA and below UPS will use the common BS1363 3-pin plug. Anything above 3KVA will need to be connected to an Isolator.

4. Check if the UPS outlet are using BS1363 or IEC C13 socket. If its the later, do get the supplier to bundle in a few cables or be prepared to buy them separately.

TSkira_88
post Mar 16 2021, 11:27 PM

1,105 posts

QUOTE(louyeh @ Mar 16 2021, 06:08 PM)
According to your peak load of 400w, a 1000w UPS will give you about 7 minutes of battery backup time. This is on basis that the batteries can still hold its 100% capacity.

1. Which protection are you more concerned on?
Irregular voltage (spike/dips) and/or inconvenience of power supply interruption

Line interactive UPS for the former.
Online UPS for the later.

Overload protection is a plus, else the UPS will just shutdown instantly. A word though, even with overload protection, its just a temporary measure and will still auto shutdown after X period for Y% overload.

2. Malaysia standard warranty for UPS is 3 years for electronics failure, 2 years for batteries.

Koss, Neuropower, Powerlogic, Power Solutions, Right Power to name a few known local UPS resellers. Don't be surprised if some of them look similar to one another as these are just OEM and rebranded locally. The price you are paying for is the after sales service.

If you are confident and know how to replace these batteries, then just look for the cheapest bargain.

Batteries will need to be replaced every 2-3 years at worst case. You're lucky if it goes to 4-5 years and more. Anything lesser indicates a problem with the batteries itself or environment.

Online UPS tend to be hotter due to the Inverter and Charging circuit running constantly. You will definitely feel an increase of temperature if the online UPS is in the same room as the PC (without aircond).

12 VDC 7.2Ah Sealed Lead Acid battery is the common type. Some will use 12 VDC 9Ah which is not sold by every battery manufacturer due to limited demand.

3. 3KVA and below UPS will use the common BS1363 3-pin plug. Anything above 3KVA will need to be connected to an Isolator.

4. Check if the UPS outlet are using BS1363 or IEC C13 socket. If its the later, do get the supplier to bundle in a few cables or be prepared to buy them separately.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Online seems like a better choice but my budget of rm400 definitely don't allow it😅

louyeh
post Mar 17 2021, 11:53 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

1250VA Line interactive UPS with Output voltage regulation ± 10% tolerance for RM 508
https://shopee.com.my/NEUROPOWER-COMPACT-TO...2715.1523939530

Online UPS voltage regulation typically ± 1%

There's currently this 1KVA Online UPS for RM 929 + RM 12.80 shipping if you're willing to spend more.
I don't prefer the universal Outlet socket though as it can be a loose fitting VS standard BS1363 socket.
If you won't face any accidental tugs on the power cord to the Outlet socket (pets, robot mop/vacuum, etc) then it'll be fine.

https://www.lazada.com.my/products/prolink-...Vsz80z&search=1

I believe technology had catch up on the switching time for Line Interactive UPS to be as fast as Online UPS. This is the time measurement needed for the UPS to provide the uninterrupted voltage supply.

However, this still depends on the appliance itself if it has sufficient capacitors to hold the charge to last the critical few milliseconds (1-6 ms). If it doesn't then the only way to resolve is by using an Online UPS since it is always providing an uninterrupted voltage supply.

I'm paranoid thus had always been using an Online UPS.
Its 6 years old now, haven't replaced any electronic boards for it and there's no issues with the boards too.
I've only had to replaced the two fans since it was using sleeve bearing and had changed the batteries for the third round now.
I do clean as much dust as possible internally on 1-2 year basis with monthly cleaning of the fan outlets.
Its definitely not an international branded UPS.
This should help you on the ROI and reliability.
iZuDeeN
post Mar 18 2021, 10:20 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,334 posts

UPS typically can last only few mins ya. its not a replacement...

i.e just enough time if you notice to power down.. typically less than 5 mins.

I personally STOPPED using UPS because it is expensive to begin with and the battery NOT RELIABLE.. every year or so NEED TO REPLACE..

dont just consider the intiial purchase.. but consider that you need replace the battery every couple of years.. usually 1yr+
SUSjbcoder
post Mar 18 2021, 12:41 PM

Enthusiast
783 posts

QUOTE(iZuDeeN @ Mar 18 2021, 10:20 AM)

I personally STOPPED using UPS because it is expensive to begin with and the battery NOT RELIABLE.. every year or so NEED TO REPLACE..

dont just consider the intiial purchase.. but consider that you need replace the battery every couple of years.. usually 1yr+
Ya man... just realized my UPS battery konk after 1 year++ because won't hold my pc when power outage.

Niamah it's barely used but still damage because it's always being charged and our weather is humid/hot so the UPS is always above 40'c causing the battery life to shorten from 2/3 to 1 year.

But luckily can get battery online for rm 30++ only so it's ok lah, yearly consumable.
TSkira_88
post Mar 18 2021, 01:35 PM

1,105 posts

QUOTE(iZuDeeN @ Mar 18 2021, 10:20 AM)

If u read my original post I just need the extra minutes of power as normally the outage last only few seconds

This post has been edited by kira_88: Mar 18 2021, 01:35 PM
Chengi
post Mar 19 2021, 07:15 AM

Getting Started
177 posts

QUOTE(kira_88 @ Mar 16 2021, 03:44 PM)
So currently my house have like sudden blackout that can happen as frequent as few times a day or few times a week.

Since I'm WFH now so quite annoying as I'm using a desktop so the PC will just suddenly turnoff everytime it happen and somtimes some of my documents are lost despite the recover option for microsoft office. Plus I'm thinking will there be negative effect on my hardware due to this?

The power will just lost for few seconds only, 1 minutes top.

Planning to buy a UPS so that atleast it will have a back up power in case of another blackout, and also not sure of which to get. Saw in shopee it can be as cheap as 100+ up to thousands
Why don't you make a call to TNB to report the issue? The place where I stay only blackout once several year (planned maintenance no count). How I know? I have a device that will not auto restart if there is any power failure.

For now UPS seems like a best workaround.
Matchy
post Mar 19 2021, 09:37 AM

Regular
1,105 posts

Long term wise, I think you still need to talk to your electricity service provider.
aidris87
post Mar 21 2021, 08:50 PM

Getting Started
61 posts

QUOTE(TristanX @ Mar 16 2021, 04:24 PM)

Example:

1000 / 0.6 = 1666.66VA

hi, may i know why need to calculate requirement based on VA? iinm the VA value is wattage required plus any imperfections in the equipment power factor due to capacitance/inductance. usually i will choose any VA as long as its higher than my PSU rating.

afaik the most important UPS rating is the battery AH (amp-hour) value. so if you need 1000W with 240V mains supply, your current draw will be roughly 4 amps. so for example if the blackout lasts for 1 hour you will need at least a UPS with 4AH battery capacity.

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0165sec    0.52    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:13 PM