Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

College plans for studying design?, paths to studying design?

views

TSacjayy P
post Mar 7 2021, 12:00 AM, updated 4y ago

Probation
1 posts

I'm graduating high school, and quite lost on what to do next. Most of my peers who are undecided like me are planning to do A levels or AUSMAT for college.
I think I'm more suited to subjects like design and art rather than sciences and I'm a little interested in studying graphic design (or maybe illustration/animation?? basically something art related.) However I'm not rly confident or sure enough in myself to make a firm decision now. I don't know if I have enough artistic talent to make it into a career, nor if this career path will suit me in the long run.

If possible I'd like to delay making my decision till after pre-U so that at least I have more time to learn about other subjects and discover myself better. Is it possible to study design after doing A-levels or AUSMAT for pre-U? None of the subjects offered are even art related.......... I assume I will need to have a portfolio ready to apply for university and A levels or AUSMAT won't help me with that.

Must I do foundation/diploma if I want to learn design?
What are your opinions/suggestions on what path I should take for college?
HaleYeah
post Mar 7 2021, 10:21 AM

Getting Started
65 posts

Everyone at your age will be unsure, what matters the most is we try.
We learn and grow from experience, how do you know when you didn't even try right?

Going into design is pretty simple, doesn't need all those foundation. Because it relies on your practical knowledge (sometimes theory but tbh, theory is shit and won't often be implemented into the real working world).
black_Zer0
post Mar 11 2021, 05:08 PM

Getting Started
101 posts

Quick answer is no, most people will see portfolio rather than certificates. You can excel even if you're self taught and good enough.

Unless you're looking into stuff more like architecture & interior design.

My personal advice is to look into more tech related design path. Such as 3D or UI UX.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0110sec    0.10    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:07 PM