Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Guess AMD laptops are stuck with pcie gen3, for good reason:gen 4 ain't working RIP

views

TSMelvin117
post Feb 25 2021, 10:32 AM, updated 4y ago

Casual
466 posts

According to Hot Hardware, there have been some rumblings in recent months about USB connectivity problems with AMD Ryzen processors in combination with 500 series chipset-based motherboards.
To be more specific, the problem seems to stem from USB 2.0 ports that act erratically when PCIe 4.0 is enabled on the motherboard and a PCIe 4-enabled device is installed -- like a GPU, for example.
Given that many enthusiasts are rocking new GPUs like the Radeon RX 6800 or GeForce RTX 30 Series, which are PCIe 4.0-enabled, this can certainly be a problem.

Users are experiencing problems where low-speed devices like mice, keyboards, and headsets are dropping out periodically, without any rhyme or reason, when attached to a USB 2.0 port. The problem seems to manifest itself the most under high CPU loads. Switching the accessories from a USB 2.0 port to a free USB 3.0 port seems to alleviate the problem for many.

However, this is not a workable solution for some people, and they are fed up with the USB 2.0 dropouts.
There are a couple of reddit threads making the rounds now discussing the matter, with the most recent one garnering over 1,100 comments.

"My USB headset will crackle or just drop out, my mouse will stop responding for a bit, etc.," wrote Reonu_, who started the most recent reddit discussion thread. https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/llkk5..._that_usb_just/
"Having a PCIe 4 GPU simply breaks USB and it happens on both Zen 2 and Zen 3. Yet it hasn't even been acknowledged by AMD."

"After installing my new graphic card 3090 I had loads of USB disconnects," added redditor gibbo77.
"I spent a lot of time trying to diagnose problem as I changed my power supply as well. A few days later I found a few posts saying that PCIe 4.0 was to blame, after changing to PCIe 3.0 I have not had any problems since."

The thread is an interesting read, with many users fighting back and forth over what the true solution is, and some chiming in that they aren't having any problems whatsoever with USB 2.0 disconnects on 500 Series motherboards. However, we reached out to AMD directly to see if they've been keeping track of the user complaints, and they provided the following response:

AMD is aware of reports that some users are experiencing intermittent USB connectivity issues reported on 500 Series chipsets.

So AMD laptops will now start getting all the issues zen desktop owners are getting huh ohmy.gif

hft
post Feb 25 2021, 10:58 AM

Regular
1,081 posts

Gen3 also most people dont use to the max
popopi
post Feb 25 2021, 11:04 AM

Regular
1,194 posts

1. keep PCIe 4.0 and use USB3.0 hub...
or
2. PCIe 3.0 and wasted ur 3090 best performance..

Most ppl will go for option 1.. until there is a BIOS/driver fix..
TSMelvin117
post Feb 25 2021, 11:23 AM

Casual
466 posts

QUOTE(hft @ Feb 25 2021, 10:58 AM)
Gen3 also most people dont use to the max
they advertise loud loud but ended up cannot use rolleyes.gif

idk tho linus latest video does show some tiny improvement by using gen 4, which gamernexus previously tested got no improvement

I think as the drivers mature we will see more improvement for using more pcie lanes
TSMelvin117
post Feb 25 2021, 11:25 AM

Casual
466 posts

QUOTE(popopi @ Feb 25 2021, 11:04 AM)
1. keep PCIe 4.0 and use USB3.0 hub...
or
2. PCIe 3.0 and wasted ur 3090 best performance..

Most ppl will go for option 1.. until there is a BIOS/driver fix..
I'll stick to what I have now(10th gen intel), wait for intel 11th gen icon_rolleyes.gif

either intel has a better solution OR amd will be motivated to fix all their messy driver support and bugs

This post has been edited by Melvin117: Feb 25 2021, 11:25 AM
xxdanialxx
post May 21 2021, 11:25 AM

37 posts

Who actually can utilize the maximum speed of Gen 4 SSD??

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0136sec    0.40    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:59 AM