Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Brake Caliper Repair Kit

views

TSclockpulses
post Feb 24 2021, 11:14 PM, updated 4y ago

Casual
386 posts

Hi all,

Previously i opened a thread about the rattling sound on my left tyre area, happens when i drove on uneven or rough road, where the tar surface not so smooth, no matter when i apply brake or not, n still persist after changing caliper slider pin

Went to other shops, and ask them to check turn out the slider pin is not snug, it is loose and can feel n see there is play when moving even though the slider pin is new. I told the 2nd shop will come back as i want to do a little reading and getting opinion.

If possible i don't want to replace the whole caliper as it is expensive.

So my question is the brake caliper repair kit can help the above issue? What actually the repair kit does actually? Repair what thing specifically?

Ori kit price about rm50 im shopee

https://shopee.com.my/product/2058742/65641...12-1614179528.9

user posted image

This post has been edited by clockpulses: Feb 24 2021, 11:19 PM
Quazacolt
post Feb 24 2021, 11:57 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

hydraulic fluid pushes the piston which then pushes the brake pads against the brake disc rotors.
seals are required so brake fluid maintains a closed seal.

repair kit replaces said seals.
Quazacolt
post Feb 25 2021, 12:03 AM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

Oh yes, the curled/ribbed seals (between the box and the big o rings) are the slider pin seals
TSclockpulses
post Feb 25 2021, 12:07 AM

Casual
386 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Feb 24 2021, 11:57 PM)
hydraulic fluid pushes the piston which then pushes the brake pads against the brake disc rotors.
seals are required so brake fluid maintains a closed seal.

repair kit replaces said seals.
QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Feb 25 2021, 12:03 AM)
Oh yes, the curled/ribbed seals (between the box and the big o rings) are the slider pin seals
So means it cannot help tighten the slider pin. It is just to replace the leaked seal from leaking fluids?
Quazacolt
post Feb 25 2021, 12:25 AM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(clockpulses @ Feb 25 2021, 12:07 AM)
So means it cannot help tighten the slider pin. It is just to replace the leaked seal from leaking fluids?
no you don't simply tighten the slider pin. if the pins are fully tighten and the caliper doesnt move, your brake jams up lol

the slider pins also houses grease, to lubricate the pins and fill in any free play/gaps within the pins may have
Steponlego
post Feb 25 2021, 01:36 AM

Enthusiast
766 posts

You can try get a new caliper pin set with rubber sleeves at the end to help with the noises. Easy DIY job. Make sure to lather that pin with a lot of grease or it will stuck. Use brake caliper grease.

The kit you show is for the brake caliper piston repair kit.
Thrust
post Feb 25 2021, 04:38 AM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

This kit won't work. You will need to find a workshop that is able to send the caliper to a machine shop to fill the gap with nylon so there's no more play with the slider pin.

I think CK Yusoff workshop called Aterek can do this. He is a youtuber mechanic.
TSclockpulses
post Feb 25 2021, 12:10 PM

Casual
386 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Feb 25 2021, 12:25 AM)
no you don't simply tighten the slider pin. if the pins are fully tighten and the caliper doesnt move, your brake jams up lol

the slider pins also houses grease, to lubricate the pins and fill in any free play/gaps within the pins may have
QUOTE(Steponlego @ Feb 25 2021, 01:36 AM)

You can try get a new caliper pin set with rubber sleeves at the end to help with the noises. Easy DIY job. Make sure to lather that pin with a lot of grease or it will stuck. Use brake caliper grease.

The kit you show is for the brake caliper piston repair kit.
QUOTE(Thrust @ Feb 25 2021, 04:38 AM)
This kit won't work. You will need to find a workshop that is able to send the caliper to a machine shop to fill the gap with nylon so there's no more play with the slider pin.

I think CK Yusoff workshop called Aterek can do this. He is a youtuber mechanic.
Thanks brothers

Looks like this workshop is nearer to my house.

But im still thinking if it is worth to repait or just replace new caliper at Proton SC

Besides, i cant 100% sure if this is the thing that caused the rattle sound.
speedy3210
post Feb 25 2021, 01:01 PM

Casual
451 posts

You can reduce the sound by apply grease made specifically for brake system, not the everyday lithium grease.

My wife's elantra rear calipers got sound also. The knocking sound can be eliminated temporarily by renewing/rejuvenating the grease at caliper pins. I just DIY coz it is a straight forward procedure. Just make sure you have proper HQ tools to fasten/open parts.

My 22yrs old Wira also exhibiting same noise pattern in front and recent self checks confirmed it to be caliper pins noise. Gonna DIY also once the laziness subsides.

BTW, I am using Bendix Ceramasil Brake Parts Grease/Lubricant. Nice stuff that can stay in grade significantly longer than normal hi-temp grease that normal mech use. Good luck.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0124sec    0.54    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:35 PM