Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Router or Provider issue?, Troubleshooting

views

TSragk
post Feb 19 2021, 02:42 PM, updated 2d ago

BooBoo~
1,953 posts

Recently my internet intermittently went offline and online on certain hour (especially 6-12 pm), i had made complain to TM and they claimed had reset my connection, but seems like issue still persist, i started to suspect it could be my router modem faulty.

When the problem occurred, my Wifi will goes down as well.
So i have a doubt, if my internet provider side goes down, by right my Wifi should stay online but without internet right?
If my Wifi went down as well, so its my router modem problem?

This post has been edited by ragk: Feb 19 2021, 02:45 PM
Zot
post Feb 19 2021, 02:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,838 posts

Try check the speed by using cable on port
RectangleX
post Feb 19 2021, 03:03 PM

Getting Started
269 posts

QUOTE(ragk @ Feb 19 2021, 02:42 PM)
Recently my internet intermittently went offline and online on certain hour (especially 6-12 pm), i had made complain to TM and they claimed had reset my connection, but seems like issue still persist, i started to suspect it could be my router modem faulty.

So i have a doubt, if my internet provider side goes down, by right my Wifi should stay online but without internet right?
It happened to me too last year, but after changing the fiber cable connecting the modem to the distribution box, no more intermittent disconnection issue.
WaCKy-Angel
post Feb 19 2021, 03:03 PM

PeACe~~
All Stars
19,483 posts

QUOTE(ragk @ Feb 19 2021, 02:42 PM)

Yes correct
WaCKy-Angel
post Feb 19 2021, 03:05 PM

PeACe~~
All Stars
19,483 posts

QUOTE(RectangleX @ Feb 19 2021, 03:03 PM)
It happened to me too last year, but after changing the fiber cable connecting the modem to the distribution box, no more intermittent disconnection issue.
im assuming he meant disconnect as wifi connected disconnected so its most probably router overheat and restarted
RectangleX
post Feb 19 2021, 03:53 PM

Getting Started
269 posts

QUOTE(WaCKy-Angel @ Feb 19 2021, 03:05 PM)
im assuming he meant disconnect as wifi connected disconnected so its most probably router overheat and restarted
I understood what he said. What happened on ragk, and it has happened to me too. I know, it doesn't make much sense, but after what I did, so far so good. Been using over a year now without any problem.
netmatrix
post Feb 19 2021, 04:01 PM

The machine... it sees everything.
5,676 posts

Router after 2 years turned on 24/7 will start to show signs of failing from Wi-Fi disruption first.

My old Telekom DIR-615 and last 2 years ASUS RT-12 showed exact symptoms of failing wifi. And the router is going bad with inconsistent data delivery on cable.

Lucky i have router to test and its the damn same symptoms. Changing router is the only way.

This post has been edited by netmatrix: Feb 19 2021, 04:01 PM
TSragk
post Feb 19 2021, 08:07 PM

BooBoo~
1,953 posts

Thx guy for all the feedback!
My internet get disrupted again just now, i checked the modem light, PON light is green and stable, LOS light off, so i think my router are faulty
Chanwsan
post Feb 23 2021, 02:01 PM

Getting Started
264 posts

It is indeed your router problem since it restarts by itself. Mind to tell what brand and model of router you are using?
TSragk
post Feb 23 2021, 02:49 PM

BooBoo~
1,953 posts

QUOTE(Chanwsan @ Feb 23 2021, 02:01 PM)
It is indeed your router problem since it restarts by itself. Mind to tell what brand and model of router you are using?
Tenda AC6. I realize it start getting frequent restart when my parent start using the TVbox in the evening, i changed the cable btw router and TVBox it's slightly better now, but still get restart sometime but at much lower rate. Going to change the router soon.
Chanwsan
post Feb 23 2021, 03:28 PM

Getting Started
264 posts

QUOTE(ragk @ Feb 23 2021, 02:49 PM)
Tenda AC6. I realize it start getting frequent restart when my parent start using the TVbox in the evening, i changed the cable btw router and TVBox it's slightly better now, but still get restart sometime but at much lower rate. Going to change the router soon.
Ah I see. I don't have experience with Tenda devices. Is the TV box a recent addition to your network? Or is the TV box an old unit but only the router started acting up just recently?

I had an issue with my 3 years old TPLINK Archer C9 which may or may not be relevant to your case. Hearing that your router acts up at certain time makes me want to share this story. My router also had random reboots around late last year. I searched the net to find that many people worldwide was experiencing the same problem too, and from there some user pointed out their router returned to normal after they disabled some "private MAC" setting on their iOS 14 devices. It fits the diagnosis because I found the reboots happened very frequently whenever my sister was home, and she had just upgraded her iPhone to iOS 14. I told her to disable that setting and my router has indeed returned to normal now.

The point is, it may not necessarily be a hardware problem but the software / firmware in your router is not working well with your TV box or maybe other device. You can try to test more in this direction to see if you can isolate the problem.

(PS. Personally I like to troubleshoot and extend the useful life of hardware instead of outright buying new equipment. You may ignore my post and just proceed to buy a new router if you have already made up your mind to not waste time smile.gif )
TSragk
post Feb 23 2021, 06:13 PM

BooBoo~
1,953 posts

QUOTE(Chanwsan @ Feb 23 2021, 03:28 PM)
Ah I see. I don't have experience with Tenda devices. Is the TV box a recent addition to your network? Or is the TV box an old unit but only the router started acting up just recently?

I had an issue with my 3 years old TPLINK Archer C9 which may or may not be relevant to your case. Hearing that your router acts up at certain time makes me want to share this story. My router also had random reboots around late last year. I searched the net to find that many people worldwide was experiencing the same problem too, and from there some user pointed out their router returned to normal after they disabled some "private MAC" setting on their iOS 14 devices. It fits the diagnosis because I found the reboots happened very frequently whenever my sister was home, and she had just upgraded her iPhone to iOS 14. I told her to disable that setting and my router has indeed returned to normal now.

The point is, it may not necessarily be a hardware problem but the software / firmware in your router is not working well with your TV box or maybe other device. You can try to test more in this direction to see if you can isolate the problem.

(PS. Personally I like to troubleshoot and extend the useful life of hardware instead of outright buying new equipment. You may ignore my post and just proceed to buy a new router if you have already made up your mind to not waste time smile.gif )
TVbox is new unit btw, the router just starting become problematic recently
Good suggestion, actually i did suspect 1 of my family member has problematic software too. Cause usually my sister and brother in law all come over for dinner in evening thn shit start to happend lol.
Good information, thanks!

This post has been edited by ragk: Feb 23 2021, 06:16 PM
Momo33
post Yesterday, 07:53 AM

Enthusiast
780 posts

QUOTE(ragk @ Feb 23 2021, 03:49 PM)
Buy only the mid range Asus or TP Link routers.. easy and highly reliable . nod.gif
easily can last 5 years with no issues...
software updated ARE important.
i have bought /used / tested many for relatives and friends.

Tenda is cheap for a reason. if you check online many complains about performance etc...
i know they are using cheaper components.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0189sec    0.13    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 25th February 2021 - 04:05 AM