Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Should wait for EV cars to come or buy a new car?

views

TSAvangelice
post Feb 18 2021, 09:02 AM, updated 2y ago

In Absolute Control
4,862 posts

Hi guys I'm in a little dilemma atm, the EV scene in Malaysia is horrible but I know it will come one day that said the car I'm currently driving a Kia cerato is starting to show its 7th year age and I have been shopping for a replacement.

Should I wait another 5 to 7 years for another car?

Add on.
The KIA is driving just fine, I maintained her well it's just that I'm annoyed the emblem has lost all its colour, rust below the driver seat, side view mirror motor is malfunctioning but other than that it does serve its purpose.

Thanks!
romuluz777
post Feb 18 2021, 09:07 AM

Regular
1,447 posts

Repair the defects you described and replace broken parts.
Assuming the car is already fully paid up, just continue to drive it a few more years and observe how the EV scene develops, if ever.

jayjaynyc
post Feb 18 2021, 09:09 AM

Getting Started
173 posts

Just fix up that Cerato as the car is a solid car. I'm also waiting for affordable EVs to launch (below RM150k) and improvement of charging infrastructure.
TSAvangelice
post Feb 18 2021, 09:09 AM

In Absolute Control
4,862 posts

QUOTE(romuluz777 @ Feb 18 2021, 09:07 AM)
Repair the defects you described and replace broken parts.
Assuming the car is already fully paid up, just continue to drive it a few more years and observe how the EV scene develops, if ever.
Thanks for the input. I reckon this will be the best course of action. Just that I really enjoy driving and I gotten an increase of budget to buy an upgrade. Not sure if this is middle age crisis talking.

NZ3026
post Feb 18 2021, 09:27 AM

19 posts

Just buy a new car that you like, if you have extra budget to spend, why not.
Once EV start blooming in Malaysia, it is already a time for you to replace a new car again.
FrogBlob
post Feb 18 2021, 09:56 AM

Casual
313 posts

EV is the definitely the future, just not now.
Malaysia still need time to develop, so right now ICE is still probably the better choice.
raymondwong1808
post Feb 18 2021, 10:39 AM

Getting Started
251 posts

just stick to your cerato few more years. EV might take sometime to come.
senscents
post Feb 26 2021, 03:18 PM

Casual
405 posts

If you want to change car, just change as EV in Malaysia are not mature yet. Might take 10 years to have a proper infra.
Whereas EV are just taking off with more make and model in other countries.

clockpulses
post Feb 26 2021, 04:28 PM

Casual
386 posts

Good topic.

Just somerhing for you to ask yourself

If you know you are going to to change it soon, why bother to repair

Emblem has lost all its colour - non critical

rust below the driver seat - if not affect any mechanical parts, why bother?

Side view mirror motor is malfunctioning - up to you, if you can adjust manually, no need to bother.

Now shud u wait for EV car or buy a new car? Actually ive been asking for the same question.

But our situation might not the same, i cannot afford a more than 100k car, so ev or not ev, doesnt matter if there is no affordable ev car below 100k

Perhaps buy a acceptable cheap car first before the ev car came. Just ensure the car has good RV because you are going to change it anyway

This post has been edited by clockpulses: Feb 26 2021, 04:30 PM
Quazacolt
post Feb 26 2021, 06:13 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(Avangelice @ Feb 18 2021, 09:09 AM)
Just that I really enjoy driving and I gotten an increase of budget to buy an upgrade. Not sure if this is middle age crisis talking.
That and EV just don't go hand in hand, at least not yet

Maybe 5/10 more years
GOPI56
post Feb 26 2021, 06:16 PM

Regular
1,396 posts

Malaysia will become a dumping ground for fossil fuel-powered vehicles once other countries have adopted EV vehicles.
TSAvangelice
post Feb 26 2021, 07:12 PM

In Absolute Control
4,862 posts

Thanks all for the replies. I have taken some of your replies into consideration and it looks like I'll stay with Kia cerato atm. Financially it's smart to keep driving this and repair it as it goes.

Sarawak is ripe for an EV tech and we have a solid infrastructure under SESCO but the car it self will be expensive
EnergyAnalyst
post Feb 26 2021, 09:17 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,272 posts

I vote to wait...I am too.

Maybe not that long if you have faith with below wishy washy source

https://www.zigwheels.my/new-cars/mg/zs-ev

This post has been edited by EnergyAnalyst: Feb 26 2021, 09:19 PM
TSAvangelice
post Feb 26 2021, 10:04 PM

In Absolute Control
4,862 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Feb 26 2021, 09:17 PM)
I vote to wait...I am too.

Maybe not that long if you have faith with below wishy washy source

https://www.zigwheels.my/new-cars/mg/zs-ev
MG. Super rare that even parts may be even rearer. Who's gonna service these cars in MY?
markblurberry
post Feb 26 2021, 11:01 PM

Getting Started
110 posts

I just don't see EV coming, especially when our ex-prime minister having a share of the pie in a chain petrol station, I foresee adoption to be slow, so far there is no solid indication that EV will flourish here in Msia - the automobile industry in general is heading nowhere unlike Indonesia and Thai...and there is no incentive from gomen to invite EV or related parts manufacturers to open shop here, nothing at all, so I can only conclude that EV is not part of our car industry master plan, I stand corrected
EnergyAnalyst
post Feb 26 2021, 11:06 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,272 posts

QUOTE(Avangelice @ Feb 26 2021, 10:04 PM)
MG. Super rare that even parts may be even rearer. Who's gonna service these cars in MY?
Berjaya

As per the reports, it will be locally-assembled in the country at a factory in Kedah, co-owned by Berjaya Corporation and Sime Darby Motors. ( I hope the report is correct still because many plans have been delayed as far as automotive @Malaysia is concern)

This post has been edited by EnergyAnalyst: Feb 26 2021, 11:09 PM
EnergyAnalyst
post Feb 26 2021, 11:31 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,272 posts

QUOTE(markblurberry @ Feb 26 2021, 11:01 PM)
I just don't see EV coming, especially when our ex-prime minister having a share of the pie in a chain petrol station, I foresee adoption to be slow, so far there is no solid indication that EV will flourish here in Msia - the automobile industry in general is heading nowhere unlike Indonesia and Thai...and there is no incentive from gomen to invite EV or related parts manufacturers to open shop here, nothing at all, so I can only conclude that EV is not part of our car industry master plan, I stand corrected
I beg to differ....We are just waiting for a Go really..Then we are CHANGED...

https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/...ipe-for-change/

Malaysia’s auto sector ripe for change

Yamin Vong

February 16, 2021 8:00 AM

For Malaysians on the lookout for the smartest jobs in the world – think 5G, Artificial Intelligence – don’t give up on the domestic automotive industry just yet.

Yes, Malaysia is not in the good books of investors just yet as indicated by UNCTAD’s reckoning that the country’s Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) had dropped 68%, compared with the Asean average of 31% in 2020.

But this can change overnight because Malaysia’s automotive industry, a powerful driver of high value employment, is ripe for a disruption.

There are already two Malaysian companies with electric vehicles (EV) in Port Klang awaiting clearance for Vehicle Type Approval (VTA) by the Ministry of Transport.

Another company has cleared its EV and is awaiting VTA.

“I have the LHD versions of the ORA electric vehicle in Port Klang and we’re planning to launch five of the Great Wall EVs as soon as we have obtained the necessary government approvals,” said SM Azli SM Nasimuddin, the CEO and founder of Go Auto, Great Wall’s franchise holder in Malaysia.

“Great Wall already has all the documentation for the EV but as franchise holder and importer, we have another documentation process, the Industrial Linkage Programme (ILP), to perform. This takes time,” said Azli.

MG Berjaya Sdn Bhd has imported the MG ZS EV for VTA and is still awaiting the VTA. It has APs for another 100 units.

The MG auto brand is owned by Shanghai Auto Industrial Corp (SAIC), ranked one of China’s top three car makers.

The ILP is a contributing factor for Malaysia’s decline in the eyes of car makers and the increasing esteem with which they view Thailand and Indonesia.

While understandably the previous government wanted to ensure transfer of technology from FDIs and implemented the ILP as a tool to ensure that car companies invested in car plants, this doesn’t work with the new era of EVs where the domestic market is too small to justify the establishment of an assembly plant.

With former prime minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad no longer in a position to fund his vision of a national car at the expense of other car makers, the time is ripe for up-and-coming politicians to lead Malaysia towards a modern automotive policy that welcomes high-tech and low-carbon investors.

Furthermore, the recently signed Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) between Asean and China, South Korea, Japan, Australia and New Zealand allows free trade in cars.

Before, under the Asean Free Trade Area (AFTA), Malaysia excluded cars from the free trade agreement to protect Proton, Malaysia’s national car formed in 1986.

“Under the Malaysia AFTA, the list of products was not comprehensive. We didn’t include all the products for tariff exemption. That was in 1994 and we wanted to protect Proton and we excluded cars from the Asean FTA,” said a former senior official of the Ministry of International Trade and Industry.

“But with RCEP, which is more powerful than AFTA, cars are not excluded from the list of free trade in goods,” he said, asking not to be identified because policies are for politicians to make.

Thailand last week hosted the virtual launch of the Great Wall Motors EV, the ORA Good Cat which goes on sale in April. It also announced Thailand as its manufacturing hub for the region.

China’s price for the ORA Good Cat starts from about 100,000 yuan to 140,000 yuan which is about RM63,000 to RM90,000.

It’s obvious that Great Wall’s entry into the Thai market with the fully imported EV is because of the RCEP and tax-free trade in cars.

What Malaysia needs is an inclusive and welcoming automotive policy to attract investors and fresh political leadership to drive the change.

Can the new leaders hack it?

Yamin Vong has been a journalist for 40 years and has covered the Tokyo Show almost consecutively since the early 1980s, driven thousands of test cars and met numerous auto industry chiefs. Currently, he’s focussed on the motoring industry’s land transport issues. He blogs at MotorMouth.
This post has been edited by EnergyAnalyst: Feb 26 2021, 11:32 PM
EnergyAnalyst
post Oct 10 2021, 08:33 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,272 posts

2022 is looking very bright
EnergyAnalyst
post Oct 10 2021, 08:37 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,272 posts

Just don't buy this one

https://www.wapcar.my/news/caution-seiyong-...-malaysia-25436
ben3003
post Oct 10 2021, 08:44 AM

10k Club
All Stars
10,604 posts

EV car, when sign the car deal, immediately loss 20% resale value.

Malaysian, TOPKEK.

10 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0222sec    0.65    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:39 PM