Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Is TP-Link Deco M4 good for 40 users at once?

views

Oltromen Ripot
post Feb 18 2021, 01:35 PM

👍 999999 person Likes this member
3,796 posts

M4 have 1GB port.

what you need is CAT6e wired backbone connecting the meshes. don't rely on the M4 to distribute wirelessly among themselves. you rather have them 100% using wireless talking to devices than to talk between M4s.

do understand that wireless access point have to round-robin talking to each of your devices. so the more talkative a device is, the more congested your access point will be as the less slot for it to spend with another device.

so invest in more wired M4 units, not just 2; so that your clients can connect to the best access point from their position.

but the best is for you to invest in enterprise-grade wireless network. spent wisely and you never have to worry about it anymore.

CODE

ISP <--wire-->  router (disable wifi) <--wire--> switch <--wire--> 2+more M4 <--wireless--> devices
                                                        <--wire--> printer
                                                        <--wire--> servers

This post has been edited by Oltromen Ripot: Feb 18 2021, 01:40 PM
TSDabLRT P
post Feb 25 2021, 11:00 AM

Probation
20 posts

I have a question.

When I buy 2x TP-Link Deco M4, i will have 3 routers in total.

One D-Link Normal TM router
2x TP-Link Deco M4

Can I still use these 3 routers by only having 1 Wireless SSID name?

My understanding is that if i only use Mesh router irregardless of how many Deco devices, there is only 1 Wireless SSID.

If i want to use my default TM D-Link router, and set both my TPLink M4 as AP only using Cat6 backhaul, can i still retain jsut 1 Wireless SSID instead of having 1 Wireless SSID from the DLink router and another 1 Wireless SSID from Decos?
heidarren
post Feb 25 2021, 12:28 PM

Getting Started
246 posts

QUOTE(DabLRT @ Feb 25 2021, 11:00 AM)
I have a question.

When I buy 2x TP-Link Deco M4, i will have 3 routers in total.

One D-Link Normal TM router
2x TP-Link Deco M4

Can I still use these 3 routers by only having 1 Wireless SSID name?

My understanding is that if i only use Mesh router irregardless of how many Deco devices, there is only 1 Wireless SSID.

If i want to use my default TM D-Link router, and set both my TPLink M4 as AP only using Cat6 backhaul, can i still retain jsut 1 Wireless SSID instead of having 1 Wireless SSID from the DLink router and another 1 Wireless SSID from Decos?
Yes U can, just make sure u fix the 5GHz channel to 149 on D-Link router, due to Decos use channel 36~48, but the roaming experience between D-Link to Decos will not as good as Deco to Deco. Also, D-Link switches has a hard time to connect 2 Deco nodes, I'm not sure if this problem will happen to their routers onot, so if u plug both Decos LAN directly to the D-Link router, maybe will have problem, if ur setup is like D-Link - Deco - Deco then should be no problem.
TSDabLRT P
post Feb 25 2021, 01:06 PM

Probation
20 posts

QUOTE(heidarren @ Feb 25 2021, 12:28 PM)
Yes U can, just make sure u fix the 5GHz channel to 149 on D-Link router, due to Decos use channel 36~48, but the roaming experience between D-Link to Decos will not as good as Deco to Deco. Also, D-Link switches has a hard time to connect 2 Deco nodes, I'm not sure if this problem will happen to their routers onot, so if u plug both Decos LAN directly to the D-Link router, maybe will have problem, if ur setup is like D-Link - Deco - Deco then should be no problem.
Or unless i use it this way
Deco M4 -> Deco M4
-> DLink DIR850L

Means M4 is the primary router....both secondary Deco M4 and DLink DIR850L will be connected to a TPLink network switch.

If this is possible, what about the settings for D-Link?
heidarren
post Feb 25 2021, 01:38 PM

Getting Started
246 posts

QUOTE(DabLRT @ Feb 25 2021, 01:06 PM)
Or unless i use it this way
Deco M4 -> Deco M4
            -> DLink DIR850L

Means M4 is the primary router....both secondary Deco M4 and DLink DIR850L will be connected to a TPLink network switch.
If this is possible, what about the settings for D-Link?
I think this is the better way, coz M4 has better processing power than 850L, and much stable than 850L. Nothing special wireless setting for 850L, just make sure it's using channel 149~161
TSDabLRT P
post Feb 25 2021, 02:26 PM

Probation
20 posts

QUOTE(heidarren @ Feb 25 2021, 01:38 PM)
I think this is the better way, coz M4 has better processing power than 850L, and much stable than 850L. Nothing special wireless setting for 850L, just make sure it's using channel 149~161
What about the connection type on D-Link DIR850L? as what I read online, some of the routers have options for us to set PPPoE, bridge mode, etc.

What settings for 850L in this case?

it will be TM Modem -> Tp-Link Deco M4 (Router mode) -> TP-Link Network Switch -> TP-Link Deco M4 (AP Mode) and D-Link DIR850L

TSDabLRT P
post Mar 16 2021, 09:12 AM

Probation
20 posts

Guys, I tried to configure TP-Link Deco M4 as router mode by putting in PPPoE and enabled VLAN with TM Unifi. The WiFi works but the LAN port will not work. I tried plugging in straight to 2 different Computers and a Tp-Link gigabit network switch.

I called TM and they told me to use custom VLAN by disabling IPTV VLAN. However, the LAN port will only work for my computer. It will not work for my Printer (only support LAN Cable, no wifi) and TP-Link gigabit network switch.

Is there anyone encountered this issue before?

What I want to achieve is like this:
Modem -> Tp-Link Deco M4 (primary) -> Network Switch -> Tp-Link Deco M4 (Slave)
heidarren
post Mar 16 2021, 12:13 PM

Getting Started
246 posts

QUOTE(DabLRT @ Mar 16 2021, 09:12 AM)
Guys, I tried to configure TP-Link Deco M4 as router mode by putting in PPPoE and enabled VLAN with TM Unifi. The WiFi works but the LAN port will not work. I tried plugging in straight to 2 different Computers and a Tp-Link gigabit network switch.

I called TM and they told me to use custom VLAN by disabling IPTV VLAN. However, the LAN port will only work for my computer. It will not work for my Printer (only support LAN Cable, no wifi) and TP-Link gigabit network switch.

Is there anyone encountered this issue before?

What I want to achieve is like this:
Modem -> Tp-Link Deco M4 (primary) -> Network Switch -> Tp-Link Deco M4 (Slave)
Default Deco ISP setting for TM Unifi is LAN 1 for vlan500 and LAN 2 for vlan 600, if you need LAN 2 for PC and you are not going to use HyppTV then all you have to do is don't use TM Unifi vlan profile and manually setup for vlan 500, leave others vlan blank, that's it.
heidarren
post Mar 16 2021, 12:15 PM

Getting Started
246 posts

QUOTE(DabLRT @ Feb 25 2021, 02:26 PM)
What about the connection type on D-Link DIR850L? as what I read online, some of the routers have options for us to set PPPoE, bridge mode, etc.

What settings for 850L in this case?

it will be TM Modem -> Tp-Link Deco M4 (Router mode) -> TP-Link Network Switch -> TP-Link Deco M4 (AP Mode) and D-Link DIR850L
You may check and see if 850L has AP mode, if not then just reset it and turn off DHCP and use only LAN ports, leave the WAN port empty, and set WI-FI name and password same as your Deco
TSDabLRT P
post Mar 16 2021, 02:53 PM

Probation
20 posts

QUOTE(heidarren @ Mar 16 2021, 12:13 PM)
Default Deco ISP setting for TM Unifi is LAN 1 for vlan500 and LAN 2 for vlan 600, if you need LAN 2 for PC and you are not going to use HyppTV then all you have to do is don't use TM Unifi vlan profile and manually setup for vlan 500, leave others vlan blank, that's it.
I tried it. However, it couldn't recognize the printer and gigabit switch.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0145sec    0.56    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:52 PM