post Feb 8 2021, 08:51 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,123 posts

Pretty sure is bearing issue
Takudan
post Feb 8 2021, 09:02 PM

Enthusiast
834 posts

QUOTE(clockpulses @ Feb 8 2021, 07:14 PM)
How you guys being patient to your high mileage and/or aging car? Do you think it makes sense to sell and buy new car just because it has few rattles,  clicking noises etc?
I used to drive a 20+ yo Kancil until I saved enough and had enough of people nagging me about safety. Today I can say I made the right choice because I can compare my current car to the old, and conclude that hey, that tin can, no airbag, no ABS or Aku Brake Sendiri, no stability control, occasional car breakdown about once a year... on top of that, no power window, no power steering, manual gear shifting (constantly afraid of traffic standstill at the hills), yeah I held on long enough lol. Mind you, I used to drive on highways at 80+ km/h... in that.

But that's one extreme side... still, main point I would say is for your safety, secondary, convenience.

If 10 years down the road, there's a new safety system in place and it becomes the norm for new cars, (which of course your car won't have it), then you can consider buying a new car with full safety specs.
culain99
post Feb 8 2021, 09:09 PM

-----
733 posts

Used till 10-11 years old car. Finally sold because cannot tahan keep engine die when stop at traffic light etc and wasted loads at various car workshops without solving issue. Each visit not less than rm150. Could not take it any more
markblurberry
post Feb 8 2021, 09:12 PM

Getting Started
110 posts

Not many can stand keeping their car for 5 years let alone more. The same case for myself too, I never keep a car for more than 3 years during my younger days, I guess not old already, so wouldn't mind keeping my car more than 5 years, having said this, the car must drive well and feel solid, this entails taking care of the engine and suspension. Engine is pretty easy, just service on time - change wear and tear parts. For a solid ride, usually it's the suspension - absorber, suspension bushes, all related arms and links should pretty much cover everything - also take note of rim and tyre - inclusive of balancing and alignment, will definitely affect driving dynamics
netmatrix
post Feb 8 2021, 09:19 PM

The machine... it sees everything.
6,491 posts

Creaky noises from under carriage usually caused by hardened rubber bushing. Not necessarily cause by suspension system. The easiest periodical fix is by using silicone spray.

https://shopee.com.my/search?keyword=silicone%20spray

Buy any of these and spray it on those rubber bushings. It will soften the bushing and reduce or eliminate the rattling or creaking.

If you buy WD40 silicone spray, the product is good. But the damn spray valve is still designed badly. It has the common dislodged inside pickup hose problem. And if that happens, you need to turn the bottle upside down to spray! No really!!! I also have the same problem with the regular WD40 lubricating spray bought 10 years ago.

hal5586
post Feb 8 2021, 09:20 PM

Getting Started
50 posts

Maintain and keep high mileage car and/aging?

My car is over 130k km and approaching 6 years old.  I really don't want to buy a new car, it is wasting my money. The car had served me very well for the past 5 years plus and still is, never rosak tepi jalan and have to tow, i have no reason to sell it and replace with another car. I want to keep up for another 5 or 6 years at least.

But sometime cannot tahan keep having noises issue mostly suspension issue (no transmission and engine issue so far). But those noises makes me not in peace of mind. Although i had changed most of the suspension parts but it keep appearing the noises

I'm here not to ask you how to solve my car noises issue, just asking:

How you guys being patient to your high mileage and/or aging car? Do you think it makes sense to sell and buy new car just because it has few rattles,  clicking noises etc?
my 12 yr old proton is around 280k mileage. regular maintenance and get a good workshop.
if there's noise, squeaks i'll get it to the workshop within a month. mostly minor problem. major one is driveshaft change
the worse problem i had was leaking engine and transmission oils, and of all places the official service center is the one that caused the problem.
other than that just replace wear and tear parts. most of it will start to wear down after 5yrs or so.

obviously wanted to change car numerous times, but u know those cars that is canggih or looks nice got problems of their own
so for now i'm happy with my daily car, cheap ori parts good workshop, and sometimes diy.
those cash saved from buying new car, splashed it on holidays and hobbies

missed the other car in our house though which we sold off, mazda hb.

BelaCHAN
post Feb 8 2021, 09:22 PM

On my way
550 posts

My car is over 130k km and approaching 6 years old.  I really don't want to buy a new car, it is wasting my money. The car had served me very well for the past 5 years plus and still is, never rosak tepi jalan and have to tow, i have no reason to sell it and replace with another car. I want to keep up for another 5 or 6 years at least.

But sometime cannot tahan keep having noises issue mostly suspension issue (no transmission and engine issue so far). But those noises makes me not in peace of mind. Although i had changed most of the suspension parts but it keep appearing the noises

130k approaching 6 years is old?

Try 400k reaching 12 years on a proton saga as old, then talk to me =D

No, it does NOT make sense to sell and buy new car just because it has few rattles, clicking noises.

You don't just change your wife when she nag you a bit.
(Maybe you'll change her if nag more, but i digress =D)

It's just that you're too perfectionist.

There is no perfect car in this world, period.

Everything is a compromise.

Learn to compromise and broaden the line between acceptable and unacceptable,
then you will live more happy (^-^)

Listen to music slightly louder while you drive. Makes all the minor squeaks disappear like magic =D

I freaking hate those that don't put on music while they drive...
Its just begging for yourself to hear every squeak and rattle... ...

This post has been edited by BelaCHAN: Feb 8 2021, 09:26 PM
Thrust
post Feb 8 2021, 09:23 PM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

What car is TS driving?

I am still using my Honda City bought in 2010. This will be its 11th year @ 120,000km and there's no noises.

I do maintain the car properly and replace parts that are worn though.
blanket84
post Feb 8 2021, 09:49 PM

Regular
1,499 posts

I just repair my car in SC everytime got problem. Most of the time the problem resolved in one visit.
freebird29c P
post Feb 8 2021, 09:57 PM

Probation
2 posts

my car coming to 380k km. everyday got different animal sound....rat, chicken, bird....
my car served me faithfully for 12 years. i just make sure the brakes, tyres , and engine in best condition.
silverwave
post Feb 8 2021, 10:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,050 posts

Rattling and noises are small issues, a proper mechanic can find it and solve it. Just ensure all mechanical parts are tip top and the car will last.

I have a 423k mileage car at home and it's 15 years now, still smooth like new but i do send to SC for engine related service.

The temptation to change the car is always there but the freedom of not having a monthly repayment is even greater biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by silverwave: Feb 8 2021, 10:11 PM
TSclockpulses
post Feb 9 2021, 12:03 AM

Casual
386 posts

QUOTE(DS51 @ Feb 8 2021, 07:26 PM)
seriously dude. u need to change ur pomen..my cars accord 2010, most problematic one until people nickname it Honda x guna.

All problem had been sort off. no problem so far. where got annoying sound. even rattling also I troubleshoot sendiri. lol.

ur suspension noisy. weird. try ask multiple pomen
Noises keep appearing one buy one after change absorber, bushes, mounts, rack ends, tie rod ends, tyres, except steering rack and wheel bearing. I'm going to change wheel bearing next

QUOTE(zero5177 @ Feb 8 2021, 07:29 PM)
Depend on your needs, if you only want a car that can bring you from Point A to Point B, as long your car is good and reliable, you don't need a new car.

No matter what car you get, eventually you will feel bored with it after some time, unless you plan to change car every 3 to 5 years which is very costly to maintain.
But if you are happy with it, why not?
True also, one of the thing i always do to fall in love with my own car again is, fill petrol full tank, car wash with water wax sure fall in love again. Lol

QUOTE(SotongBiru @ Feb 8 2021, 07:31 PM)
130k is still ok ... 6 year old nia. Maybe considered middle aged car.  Like people, reach 40 also see doctor more and maybe more sound like fart, creaking bones, and so on.

Keep je, and those sound are characteristics.
Sometimes worry the noises is the symptoms of safety is compromised because it is suspension related

QUOTE(reed90 @ Feb 8 2021, 07:31 PM)
1st of all, what brand of car 1st?

If its a jap or a local brand, I'd stick with it. Easy enough to find spareparts and repair.
If its a Korean or conti, just sell the damn thing for what its worth.
Local. The car spare parts price are higher than the likes of myvi or saga but they are very easy to find

This post has been edited by clockpulses: Feb 9 2021, 12:04 AM
TSclockpulses
post Feb 9 2021, 12:07 AM

Casual
386 posts

QUOTE(MrBaba @ Feb 8 2021, 08:51 PM)
Pretty sure is bearing issue
Interesting, your assumption is based on what?

QUOTE(Takudan @ Feb 8 2021, 09:02 PM)
I used to drive a 20+ yo Kancil until I saved enough and had enough of people nagging me about safety. Today I can say I made the right choice because I can compare my current car to the old, and conclude that hey, that tin can, no airbag, no ABS or Aku Brake Sendiri, no stability control, occasional car breakdown about once a year... on top of that, no power window, no power steering, manual gear shifting (constantly afraid of traffic standstill at the hills), yeah I held on long enough lol. Mind you, I used to drive on highways at 80+ km/h... in that.

But that's one extreme side... still, main point I would say is for your safety, secondary, convenience.

If 10 years down the road, there's a new safety system in place and it becomes the norm for new cars, (which of course your car won't have it), then you can consider buying a new car with full safety specs.
My car don't have those AEB or that active safety system. But the passive safety features are complete than the 2020 2021 cars that sold more expensive than this car.

So safety is not my concern that forcing me to change car.

The only concern is that those noises are the symptoms that tbe safety is compromised. Noises like that are 100% mechanical so cannot be detected by scanning tool

This post has been edited by clockpulses: Feb 9 2021, 12:09 AM
MrBaba
post Feb 9 2021, 12:26 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,123 posts

QUOTE(clockpulses @ Feb 9 2021, 12:07 AM)
Interesting, your assumption is based on what?
My car don't have those AEB or that active safety system. But the passive safety features are complete than the 2020 2021 cars that sold more expensive than this car.

So safety is not my concern that forcing me to change car.

The only concern is that those noises are the symptoms that tbe safety is compromised. Noises like that are 100% mechanical so cannot be detected by scanning tool
Past experience
ceo684
post Feb 9 2021, 12:31 AM

Component Burner
All Stars
11,545 posts

Once you release yourself from being a slave to the hire purchase loan.. it is a relief.
My pickup truck bought new RM68k back in 2009, now 2021 a Ford Ranger easily cost RM150k.

Too expensive to buy a new ride, and nothing wrong with driving an older ride that's well maintained (service wise).
Cosmetic wise she's got a lot of dings and battle scars, rattles all over since day 1, in terms of reliability and cheap maintenance thumbup.gif
I have gone through 246k km (thats 6x around the Earth) and did not change a single absorber since 2009.

Sometimes the side step rattles so just a soft kick or nudge to it fixes the issue for now.
Blast the radio loud like college lalamui days helps to drown out any noise laugh.gif

This post has been edited by ceo684: Feb 9 2021, 12:34 AM
ClessRV
post Feb 9 2021, 12:54 AM

On my way
680 posts

i'm not rich, so i just thn my old car, even if i got budget every month, will use those in properties or other investment, i'm not a car guy, usually only 30-45 minutes in car, go back work, pre covid, now 20-30 minutes per week, go out just to buy groceries
post Feb 9 2021, 01:58 AM

Getting Started
67 posts

130,000km for 6 years, thats an average 21,666km per year, is not considered that high.

Personally, as long as my car is able to run with basic yearly maintenance, and no major repairs, while able to carry me from Point A-to-B safely and comfortable... I'm happy and the car have served its purpose.

I will consider changing the car if only the cost of yearly maintenance and repair exceeds the monthly cost of financing a new car.
DM52
post Feb 9 2021, 06:16 AM

Casual
368 posts

QUOTE(Thrust @ Feb 8 2021, 09:23 PM)
What car is TS driving?

I am still using my Honda City bought in 2010. This will be its 11th year @ 120,000km and there's no noises.

I do maintain the car properly and replace parts that are worn though.
Legit mileage tho..buy new..usually rev up to 3k rpm only. sayang to full throttle. use carbon deposit fluid every 5000km, so no need for me to do italian tune up. last time I do italian tune up, got car chase me tot I want to race. kek. so no more italian tune up.

this car is very very reliable. no much problem. want to sell also sayang. better keep it since maintenance is low.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
SUSAllnGap
post Feb 9 2021, 07:02 AM

[ Modding with Passion(tm) ]
4,561 posts

1. spray rubber conditioner on all rubber parts on undercarriage / or replace them
2. plastic panels in your interior, if you park them outside then better replace those clips, then buy get some silicone to secure them firmly
3. do soundproofing yourself. it's labour intensive but quite rewarding
4. replace all bearings / bushes / suspension

i have a 5 + 10 + one 15years old car.
all very well maintained.
thing is 15year old car accident once before, now got stupid noise dunno come from where.
i even do soundproofing on all cars since MCO period.

saga blm now as quiet like vios (havent take out dashboard yet)
both saga and kenari dumped in quite a lot of money d. maybe 4-5k into kenari

either you pay for depreciation + insurance premium or restore it nicely

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0202sec    0.32    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:10 PM