IT people, what are your working hours?

views

l4nunm4l4y4
post Feb 4 2021, 11:07 AM

Enthusiast
749 posts

QUOTE(yungkit14 @ Feb 4 2021, 10:40 AM)
Even in big it companies also dunno the difference
I remember working for a hardware computer company..they hire people with science background for customer service???
Coz the HR sucks big time.
Zer0 c00L
post Feb 4 2021, 11:39 AM

i haz hammer!
3,504 posts

it really depends on which branch of IT, what role you're in, and what the company culture is, and whether IT is the profit or cost center.

on one end you can be the 24/7 standby with lots of ad hoc OT kinda ie: working level

on the other end you can be the high level manager/consultant that moves around with lots of time to curi ayam attending a meeting a day for 1 or 2 hours or even less

its also highly dependent on the company culture as well

MNC(country specific culture), local chinaman culture? its a mixed bag depending on where you're looking

most of the time based on my experience, if IT related activities is the main profit center, companies tend to take care of their profit making employees ie: software engineers, developers more

however, if you're in a company which IT is the cost center, you'll most likely be at the bottom of the food chain as everything IT related is considered additional cost to the company and thus the company will try to cut down on as much expenses as possible which most of the time will mean cheap infra, shitty processes, lack of resources, lack of manpower etc
Lysentrix
post Feb 5 2021, 12:28 PM

Getting Started
188 posts

QUOTE(Jaclow @ Jan 30 2021, 01:28 AM)
Yes it is shit job. Longer u do, u will get stress and botak.
U will have anxiety.
Working late night to fix code and praying hard your system or implentation has no problem.

U have no life, when standby midnight or public holiday, u will b called back.

Nobody appreciate u.. As it now is very self savvy or leaning ez or everyone can do.

U will hear phrase.. So simple I also can do.

Eventually u will have. Mental breakdown as u start to talk to computer.

U will keep using your brain to troubleshoot troubleshoot troubleshoot.

That is your life.
Bro are you my colleague ? Why your experience sounds similar to mine hahahahh
TSvideogames_sports
post Feb 20 2021, 05:20 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(GHBZDK @ Feb 4 2021, 06:53 AM)
Non stop. 11pm receive help call that I didn’t reply and no time do yet and 6am like now already working on overdue thing that I’m sure to get chased on.

Goal is to get money for side business and exit early only. I don’t see this field as sustainable.
What sort of side business idea? Related to IT too?

Why u see this field as not sustainable?

QUOTE(Zer0 c00L @ Feb 4 2021, 11:39 AM)
it really depends on which branch of IT, what role you're in, and what the company culture is, and whether IT is the profit or cost center.

on one end you can be the 24/7 standby with lots of ad hoc OT kinda ie: working level

on the other end you can be the high level manager/consultant that moves around with lots of time to curi ayam attending a meeting a day for 1 or 2 hours or even less

its also highly dependent on the company culture as well

MNC(country specific culture), local chinaman culture? its a mixed bag depending on where you're looking

most of the time based on my experience, if IT related activities is the main profit center, companies tend to take care of their profit making employees ie: software engineers, developers more

however, if you're in a company which IT is the cost center, you'll most likely be at the bottom of the food chain as everything IT related is considered additional cost to the company and thus the company will try to cut down on as much expenses as possible which most of the time will mean cheap infra, shitty processes, lack of resources, lack of manpower etc
Any examples of IT companies who are profit centers?

And I'm guessing company where the IT is the cost center are like MNC's and SME's which are not in IT industry but have IT teams to help maintain the IT systems?
malleus
post Feb 20 2021, 09:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

QUOTE(videogames_sports @ Feb 20 2021, 05:20 PM)
Off the top of my head, Grab, Carousell, or even Amazon (both their Amazon site that sells stuff, and also their cloud hosting)

All the work put into the app, their server side, their data mining and all that are for the purpose of contributing directly to their revenue.

GHBZDK
post Feb 22 2021, 03:07 AM

Getting Started
128 posts

because its 3:07am and i still rushing work unsure.gif
used to require rushing to office by 8.30am to prepare for meeting too. but this one because toxic management and workplace, its avoidable.

long work hours hard to avoid, unless you are comfortable with saying no a couple times daily. but for my case i still have alot to do after saying no 90% of the time tongue.gif

This post has been edited by GHBZDK: Feb 22 2021, 03:21 AM
Zer0 c00L
post Feb 23 2021, 05:40 PM

i haz hammer!
3,504 posts

What sort of side business idea? Related to IT too?

And I'm guessing company where the IT is the cost center are like MNC's and SME's which are not in IT industry but have IT teams to help maintain the IT systems?
example:

tech firms where the platform is the money maker, developers = money makers, they usually get taken care of better

on the cost centre end, banks, where your IT services are complimentary services and are not the revenue generating component

the7signals
post Feb 26 2021, 01:39 PM

On my way
585 posts

It all depends on the company. Different company different requirement and expectation, thus working hour will also be different.
Cloudrant
post Feb 26 2021, 03:32 PM

13 posts

QUOTE(GHBZDK @ Feb 22 2021, 03:07 AM)
because its 3:07am and i still rushing work  unsure.gif
used to require rushing to office by 8.30am to prepare for meeting too. but this one because toxic management and workplace, its avoidable.

long work hours hard to avoid, unless you are comfortable with saying no a couple times daily. but for my case i still have alot to do after saying no 90% of the time  tongue.gif
lol you better sure you have 5 figure pay or else just throw the towel

Cloudrant
post Feb 26 2021, 03:36 PM

13 posts

my own takes is

as more and more companies onboarded onto public cloud, DevOps culture, IAC, serverless those kind of things

new applications should be resilient and highly scalable and available, public cloud companies take care alot of the shits previously handled by sysadmins

there won't be any random hardware failures anymore

xSean
post Feb 27 2021, 07:33 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,739 posts

QUOTE(Cloudrant @ Feb 26 2021, 03:36 PM)
my own takes is

as more and more companies onboarded onto public cloud, DevOps culture, IAC, serverless those kind of things

new applications should be resilient and highly scalable and available, public cloud companies take care alot of the shits previously handled by sysadmins

there won't be any random hardware failures anymore
Cloud like aws and azure just same on premise hosting but just more stable but still will failure
dogbert_chew
post Feb 28 2021, 06:22 PM

Regular
1,126 posts

My take based on ITIL & PMI

There is a triangular correlation between
Quality - Timeline - Resource (effort)

If any of these three changes, one of the other will be impacted if a corresponding change is not made.

Eg project timeline is shorten, more resources is needed else quality suffers.

Every team has their own triangle hence an indepth understanding together with team leader/manager will be beneficial to sustain it going forward.

For client facing, these are summarized under SLA (service level agreements)
For individuals, replace quality with health.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0161sec    0.45    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:39 PM