Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Guitars Acoustic Guitar Recommendation for a beginner

views

TSalexwj P
post Jan 28 2021, 10:53 PM, updated 4y ago

Probation
6 posts

Hi guys, I'm new here.

I'm looking for an acoustic guitar to start my journey but I have no knowledge of how to choose a guitar so I need some help from you guys 🙏🏻

My budget is around RM600 +/-

Thank you so much for your time.
Alpina
post Jan 28 2021, 11:13 PM

Getting Started
89 posts

yamaha f310 or higher that came with pickup...
Ramin
post Jan 29 2021, 05:51 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(alexwj @ Jan 28 2021, 10:53 PM)
I'm looking for an acoustic guitar to start my journey but I have no knowledge of how to choose a guitar so I need some help from you guys 🙏🏻
You may find terms like dreadnought or jumbo etc. being used to describe the shapes of various acoustic guitars, so it would be advisable to start by reading this article: Acoustic guitar body shapes explained

The various shapes affect a guitar's sound, comfort, playability for different people - it's a matter of personal preference really... For instance, I dislike dreadnoughts and jumbos as I generally find that these shapes are uncomfortable to practice with, and I gravitate towards grand auditoriums with a cutaway as I find these easier to play (more comfortable)... So I (personally) would not buy a Yamaha F310 dreadnought-shaped guitar as I know that I wouldn't be comfortable with it. And I'd buy a Yamaha APX500 instead. As I mentioned earlier, just a matter of preference. If a guitar is comfortable to play, then you'd likely practice more and progress quicker as a guitarist.

Check out other brands like Cort, Ibanez, Takamine etc. also. Pay attention to the shapes and figure out which one you prefer.
HaleYeah
post Mar 11 2021, 12:03 PM

Getting Started
65 posts

Like Ramin said, it's up to you.
You can start by going to shops and try out a few different body shape guitars and see which is more comfy for you.

I'm using a Epiphone Pro-1 which is a dreadnought body shape. Also things to look out for is the quality of the guitar. Hold the back of the neck and see if it's smooth and easy to wipe off fingerprint when needed. Turn the tuning knob and see if it's in good condition, look out for the frets, is it sharp and hurts when you slide from up and down on the side (of the neck).

Happy learning journey for you! I'm also quite new into this.
T09
post Apr 27 2021, 10:48 AM

The Kopite
2,186 posts

QUOTE(alexwj @ Jan 28 2021, 10:53 PM)
Hi guys, I'm new here.

My budget is around RM600 +/-

Thank you so much for your time.
If you are not into branding, there are plenty of options around, else for your budget Yamaha would be ideal choice.

I would recommend Custom Acoustic guitar, the value you get will be a lot more than what you paid for. Nice sound quality.
taiwanplay P
post Jul 10 2021, 08:40 PM

Probation
5 posts

Go for Yamaha if you don't know how to choose. Their quality control is much better than those China OEM brands.
And choose the one without pick up if you are not going to perform on stage or do recording.
aliesterfiend
post Aug 6 2021, 04:32 PM

Red Dragon
1,193 posts

If you havent bought, I want to recommend Sparrow ART01. Can buy from shoppee (rm2++) which is a good price for a semi accoistic. Low action (0.75cm at 12th fret) which is similiar to most electric guitars and make playing easy. You can even change to electric guitar strings if you want.

Just recieve mine yesterday. It's a slim 41" guitar and what I like most is the headstock is not like traditional accoustic headstock (les paul style) but more like Ibanez electric guitar style.
sckham
post Aug 12 2021, 01:41 AM

Regular
1,166 posts

Hey guys,
Im also a beginner for accoustic guitar too,
Currently using my classic guitar for practice during this MCO, now more into it,
So i saw someone recommend yamaha and sparrow, that will be within my budget, any other option i can choose?

Will try get it on shopee or lazada due to MCO no open, thanks guys🙏

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0145sec    0.50    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:58 PM