Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> [WTF] Best webserver and price, International or Local

views

TSHamsom
post Jan 22 2021, 11:45 AM, updated 4w ago

Casual
423 posts

Hi,

There are probably questions regarding this before.
I did a search but not as exactly what I am about to ask or probably suggestions in there were quite outdated.

As far as I can find in this forum many recommended exabytes.
Almost feels like their marketing team or CFO him/herself is promoting this service lol.

I am looking for a web server/cloud (not sure what is it being called these days).
Best in the sense of cheap, good and reliable.

My plan is to build my portfolio.
Maybe some will say I don't need a good reliable server to build a portfolio on,
but I am also planning to host my clients site on this server as well.
So I'd rather have a good one.

Before answering, I would appreciate it if you recommend what you have used,
also tell me why you think its better (meaning you have made some comparison).
And please do not simply spam to market your product or benefit from it.

I used to use our own servers (where i used to work at) for servers, so I have been out of touch on which are good providers.
Lately I had tried AWS, Google Drive and Linode. Not to the full extent but just enough to get touch feel on developing sites on those servers.

If you could recommend please do, and please provide reasoning on why.
Adding domain provider as well would be great.

Thanks a bunch.

waghyu
post Jan 22 2021, 12:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,987 posts

QUOTE(Hamsom @ Jan 22 2021, 11:45 AM)
Hi,

There are probably questions regarding this before.
I did a search but not as exactly what I am about to ask or probably suggestions in there were quite outdated.

As far as I can find in this forum many recommended exabytes.
Almost feels like their marketing team or CFO him/herself is promoting this service lol.

I am looking for a web server/cloud (not sure what is it being called these days).
Best in the sense of cheap, good and reliable.

My plan is to build my portfolio.
Maybe some will say I don't need a good reliable server to build a portfolio on,
but I am also planning to host my clients site on this server as well.
So I'd rather have a good one.

Before answering, I would appreciate it if you recommend what you have used,
also tell me why you think its better (meaning you have made some comparison).
And please do not simply spam to market your product or benefit from it.

I used to use our own servers (where i used to work at) for servers, so I have been out of touch on which are good providers.
Lately I had tried AWS, Google Drive and Linode. Not to the full extent but just enough to get touch feel on developing sites on those servers.

If you could recommend please do, and please provide reasoning on why.
Adding domain provider as well would be great.

Thanks a bunch.
If you have reliable network and bandwidth requirement not huge then own place hosted is good, cheaper just upfront capital for hardwares.
TSHamsom
post Jan 22 2021, 03:52 PM

Casual
423 posts

QUOTE(waghyu @ Jan 22 2021, 12:05 PM)
If you have reliable network and bandwidth requirement not huge then own place hosted is good, cheaper just upfront capital for hardwares.
thats out of the question. thanks for the suggestion though.
waghyu
post Jan 22 2021, 05:16 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,987 posts

QUOTE(Hamsom @ Jan 22 2021, 03:52 PM)
thats out of the question. thanks for the suggestion though.
Home unifi even that is enough.
TSHamsom
post Jan 22 2021, 08:38 PM

Casual
423 posts

QUOTE(waghyu @ Jan 22 2021, 05:16 PM)
Home unifi even that is enough.
understood, but if i am hosting for a client then get DDoS attack etc,
I am too lazy to manage the server itself. If you get what i mean.
waghyu
post Jan 22 2021, 11:20 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,987 posts

QUOTE(Hamsom @ Jan 22 2021, 08:38 PM)
understood, but if i am hosting for a client then get DDoS attack etc,
AWS expensive unless you get willing to pay for premium hosting. But they are among the best, all solution n scalability.
FlierMate
post Jan 25 2021, 02:44 AM

Getting Started
91 posts

I have three domains, two of them are .com and .net, and one of them is .my.

.my can only be managed by Malaysian registrar (MyNIC), I know this when I try to transfer .my domain to GoDaddy, but no way I can do it.

I have a starter Linux web hosting with GoDaddy, monthly fee about RM 15 (including 6% tax), so far so good, I also host client's demo PHP site on the subdomain. SSL(client side) I use free one (recommended by someone on here), that is, sign up at Cloud Flare.

For free web hosting, I use 000webhost, also allow ZIP files upload (please note that not all free web hosting providers allow ZIP files upload), can support SSL with Cloud Flare, and can support PHP (including mail function, GD image library, etc). The only disadvantage is, 000webhost put a watermark "Powered by 000webhost" on your website even when using our own domain name.

I am still a customer with ExaBytes, though that time I compare the starter Linux web hosting between ExaBytes and GoDaddy, the former is more expensive. Last time ExaBytes got Beginner Linux web hosting, but now nore more.

The above is my limited experience to share with you. :-)
TSHamsom
post Jan 25 2021, 06:44 AM

Casual
423 posts

QUOTE(waghyu @ Jan 22 2021, 11:20 PM)

Thanks.

QUOTE(FlierMate @ Jan 25 2021, 02:44 AM)

Thank you. Very informative.

etsuko
post Feb 7 2021, 09:43 PM

Spaced out person
Group Icon
Elite
4,208 posts

user posted image

Best, always comes at a cost. Be it time, money or manpower.

From what you've described, you're better off with a reseller hosting. Why do I say this?

Most of the local reseller packages are rather pricey, compared to a server management panel like Runcloud and a barebones server (DO, Linode etc). Except, you would need to be hands-on with this when needed.

So.. if you want to spend less time fiddling / managing the server, best option I can see is the reseller hosting.

You pay a little more, but delegate the work to the provider's team.

The biggest pro of cloud over reseller; dedicated resource allocation and cost.

The biggest pro of reseller over cloud; less time needed monitoring / worrying about the server.

If you want lower prices, you can try looking for international reseller packages from A2, Siteground and more.

For the local options, I vouch for Serverfreak and NoFrillsCloud (AWS based). Other mentioned names I've heard others with good experiences are iCore, JimatHosting, Movahost and Cunhost.

If you look at international providers, double check their server locations. You wouldn't want to host in US while client's customers are based in Malaysia.
TSHamsom
post Feb 8 2021, 05:47 AM

Casual
423 posts

QUOTE(etsuko @ Feb 7 2021, 09:43 PM)
user posted image

Best, always comes at a cost. Be it time, money or manpower.

From what you've described, you're better off with a reseller hosting. Why do I say this?
Most of the local reseller packages are rather pricey, compared to a server management panel like Runcloud and a barebones server (DO, Linode etc). Except, you would need to be hands-on with this when needed.

So.. if you want to spend less time fiddling / managing the server, best option I can see is the reseller hosting.

You pay a little more, but delegate the work to the provider's team.

The biggest pro of cloud over reseller; dedicated resource allocation and cost.

The biggest pro of reseller over cloud; less time needed monitoring / worrying about the server.

If you want lower prices, you can try looking for international reseller packages from A2, Siteground and more.

For the local options, I vouch for Serverfreak and NoFrillsCloud (AWS based). Other mentioned names I've heard others with good experiences are iCore, JimatHosting, Movahost and Cunhost.

If you look at international providers, double check their server locations. You wouldn't want to host in US while client's customers are based in Malaysia.
First of all i like that gif. hehe exactly.
But then again when I say best its kind of subjective to my situation.
But point taken on the reseller part. Just some questions to add on.

1. Is it safe to say that on Cloud if i were to be attacked like DDoS or such that there will be no free assistance from the provider?
And this would differ from reseller? I agree on the point of resource allocation and cost.
But I am unsure on the monitoring/worrying about the server?

2. Would the server location matter much if I am not expecting much traffic to the site.
Meaning its not sales or high traffic site.
Lets say I am hosting sites for my client(s) company profile.

Thanks for the tips. I will checkout these providers.
etsuko
post Feb 10 2021, 06:52 PM

Spaced out person
Group Icon
Elite
4,208 posts

1. Is it safe to say that on Cloud if i were to be attacked like DDoS or such that there will be no free assistance from the provider?
And this would differ from reseller? I agree on the point of resource allocation and cost.
But I am unsure on the monitoring/worrying about the server?

2. Would the server location matter much if I am not expecting much traffic to the site.
Meaning its not sales or high traffic site.
Lets say I am hosting sites for my client(s) company profile.

1. Depends on the plan you're getting.

For instance, if you took AWS with a server management panel (Runcloud) then you're kind of on your own. You could always ask their support for advice, except don't expect them to give you full support when DDoS occurs.

Providers like Serverfreak / IPServerOne have an extra service fee for server management in these cases. So you pay on top of their cloud hosting plan for their full support.

2. Yes, it does. Not so much between countries near to Malaysia like Singapore and Thailand. But more of traffic from Japan, Korea, Australia, US, Europe - if your clients do expect visitors from these locations.

Say the load times for Thailand is 5s. For Japan / Korea, it might be 8s and US might be 10-15s due to the distance that their Internet has to travel in order to download the data from your Malaysia server.

This is when a CDN service comes into the picture, if needed.

Depending on how your sites are developed, difficulty of setting up the CDN varies.
XXXOOOXXXOOO
post Mar 1 2021, 10:49 AM

Regular
1,183 posts

guy i have 2 dedi and one cloud from one local services provider.
Due to recent issue (service provider wanted to migrate their HARDWARE and force us to move our staff (data) to another server (another IP)), with very short notices (2 month) that piss me off.
Cause i need to setup two extra guy to change redo configurations and i face high possible to lost current customer.
Any good provider can intro ?
i need 2 1U space (my traffic mostly local) + 1 basic to middle cloud ...
thanks.
exclude exabytes n IpserverOne.
penjana.my P
post Mar 1 2021, 03:27 PM

Probation
3 posts

QUOTE(XXXOOOXXXOOO @ Mar 1 2021, 10:49 AM)
guy i have 2 dedi and one cloud from one local services provider.
Due to recent issue (service provider wanted to migrate their HARDWARE and force us to move our staff (data) to another server (another IP)), with very short notices (2 month) that piss me off.
Cause i need to setup two extra guy to change redo configurations and i face high possible to lost current customer.
Any good provider can intro ?
i need 2 1U space (my traffic mostly local) + 1 basic to middle cloud ...
thanks.
exclude exabytes n IpserverOne.
Shinjiru
XXXOOOXXXOOO
post Mar 1 2021, 03:31 PM

Regular
1,183 posts

QUOTE(penjana.my @ Mar 1 2021, 03:27 PM)
Shinjiru
i try them before with domain renew but their renew system which is pretty poor + very poor customer services.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0180sec    0.57    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 6th March 2021 - 03:52 AM