Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

University Chances of getting into NUS SoC

views

TSHomuntan02 P
post Jan 14 2021, 11:38 PM, updated 4y ago

Probation
24 posts

Hi guys! Ive just received my CIE or cambridge A-levels results with 4 A*(maths, bio, psych and econs) and I plan to apply to NUS Soc (for CS and Information Systems)). Anyone knows if I stand a decent chance at getting my desired courses with the tuition grant?

Any advise on applying would also be greatly appreciated!
iSean
post Jan 15 2021, 08:02 AM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

QUOTE(Homuntan02 @ Jan 14 2021, 11:38 PM)
Hi guys! Ive just received my CIE or cambridge A-levels results with 4 A*(maths, bio, psych and econs) and I plan to apply to NUS Soc (for CS and Information Systems)). Anyone knows if I stand a decent chance at getting my desired courses with the tuition grant?

Not your usual combo of subjects, given by NUS standards. But congratulations.
Remember to apply early and start writing about your opinions on the uses of CS and Industrial Revolutions 4.0, AI and Machine Learning as these might be useful in your interview session / tuition grant application essays.

Start learning Arduino and Raspberry Pi projects and show them how capable are you in coding.
Just Visiting By
post Jan 15 2021, 11:55 PM

Regular
1,828 posts

QUOTE(Homuntan02 @ Jan 14 2021, 11:38 PM)

NUS is rather notoriously difficult to enter due to its policy of favouring locals.

They set a certain quota for foreigners, and a high percentage for Singaporeans. Not to say you don't have a shot - you might succeed, but I'm saying you have better chances for admission if you try NTU.

TSHomuntan02 P
post Jan 16 2021, 07:10 PM

Probation
24 posts

QUOTE(iSean @ Jan 15 2021, 08:02 AM)
Not your usual combo of subjects, given by NUS standards. But congratulations.
Remember to apply early and start writing about your opinions on the uses of CS and Industrial Revolutions 4.0, AI and Machine Learning as these might be useful in your interview session / tuition grant application essays.

Start learning Arduino and Raspberry Pi projects and show them how capable are you in coding.
Yea its quite a weird subject combination haha... but anyways thanks for the advise! Ill definitely use it!!
TSHomuntan02 P
post Jan 16 2021, 07:11 PM

Probation
24 posts

QUOTE(Just Visiting By @ Jan 15 2021, 11:55 PM)
NUS is rather notoriously difficult to enter due to its policy of favouring locals.

They set a certain quota for foreigners, and a high percentage for Singaporeans. Not to say you don't have a shot - you might succeed, but I'm saying you have better chances for admission if you try NTU.
Yea i've heard about that from my college advisors, I will apply to NTU as well but obviously I'd prefer NUS. Thanks for the reply!
scgoh123
post Jan 17 2021, 11:07 PM

【鬼の隠し拳:天地ガエシ】
846 posts

Hi Homuntan02, congrats on scoring 4A*s in your A-levels!

As per previous threads, getting into NUS as a foreigner is not guaranteed, even with such stellar results. Your subject combo doesn't include Computer Science so I assumed you have no background in programming, this might be a disadvantage as compared to other applicants, plus SoC is a faculty that most of the students wanted to go to (besides Medicine, Dentistry, Law and Pharmacy), so I would expect tough competition to get into it. Nevertheless you still can give it a try (perhaps can input more choices like econs?).

Just curious, why are you interested in Information Systems? IS is not Computer Science, you deal more with backend data structures instead of writing and creating programs. And just a warning ahead, IS is NOT EASY especially for those without any programming experience. Be prepared for grinding through your coding basics in your first two years.
TSHomuntan02 P
post Jan 18 2021, 10:09 PM

Probation
24 posts

QUOTE(scgoh123 @ Jan 17 2021, 11:07 PM)
Hi Homuntan02, congrats on scoring 4A*s in your A-levels!

As per previous threads, getting into NUS as a foreigner is not guaranteed, even with such stellar results. Your subject combo doesn't include Computer Science so I assumed you have no background in programming, this might be a disadvantage as compared to other applicants, plus SoC is a faculty that most of the students wanted to go to (besides Medicine, Dentistry, Law and Pharmacy), so I would expect tough competition to get into it. Nevertheless you still can give it a try (perhaps can input more choices like econs?).

Just curious, why are you interested in Information Systems? IS is not Computer Science, you deal more with backend data structures instead of writing and creating programs. And just a warning ahead, IS is NOT EASY especially for those without any programming experience. Be prepared for grinding through your coding basics in your first two years.
Hey thanks! Yeap I'm well aware that my subject combination doesnt match a typical SoC student. I didnt think of pursuing computing subjects until last year when I took the CS50 harvard online course where found myself rly interested in it. I will definately place econs as one of my options (3rd/4th) as youve suggested.

As for IS, thanks for the warning, by any chance would it be that you study IS? I actually plan to put either Business Analytics or CS as my first choice instead (and the other as 2nd choice) so any advise on choosing between the 2 would be greatly appreciated!!
scgoh123
post Jan 19 2021, 11:39 PM

846 posts

QUOTE(Homuntan02 @ Jan 18 2021, 11:09 PM)
Hey thanks! Yeap I'm well aware that my subject combination doesnt match a typical SoC student. I didnt think of pursuing computing subjects until last year when I took the CS50 harvard online course where found myself rly interested in it. I will definately place econs as one of my options (3rd/4th) as youve suggested.

As for IS, thanks for the warning, by any chance would it be that you study IS? I actually plan to put either Business Analytics or CS as my first choice instead (and the other as 2nd choice) so any advise on choosing between the 2 would be greatly appreciated!!
Haha I am not studying IS but one of my peers graduated from it (transferred from Chem Eng to IS). Hence I got some insider info from him.

CS provides more versatility in terms of career options, ie: Software Engineer, Front-End Developer, Programmer. You can still go towards data mining/machine learning (which is the specialty of IS) with your CS degree. But in return, your learning curve will be steeper than other majors in SoC and your learning path is geared towards creation of scripts and programs.

Business Analytics (BA) combines data science with business regimes (accounting, economics, marketing). BA will be doing data analysis and modeling for business sectors. It is a niche field whereby you need to apply your computing knowledge into business-related sectors (More blatantly, it's data science for business). You will still learn programming, but your learning path will be geared towards providing data insights towards business and economics.

Ultimately it depends on you. If you prefer more career options/unsure of your future path, go for CS. If you prefer to work in business sector as a data analyst, go for BA. But do note that all courses in SoC are highly competitive nowadays. If you get to study Econs in NUS and still interested in Computing, you can consider doing minor in BA/CS (or even double major/double degree).
TSHomuntan02 P
post Jan 21 2021, 10:43 AM

Probation
24 posts

QUOTE(scgoh123 @ Jan 19 2021, 11:39 PM)
Haha I am not studying IS but one of my peers graduated from it (transferred from Chem Eng to IS). Hence I got some insider info from him.

CS provides more versatility in terms of career options, ie: Software Engineer, Front-End Developer, Programmer. You can still go towards data mining/machine learning (which is the specialty of IS) with your CS degree. But in return, your learning curve will be steeper than other majors in SoC and your learning path is geared towards creation of scripts and programs.

Business Analytics (BA) combines data science with business regimes (accounting, economics, marketing). BA will be doing data analysis and modeling for business sectors. It is a niche field whereby you need to apply your computing knowledge into business-related sectors (More blatantly, it's data science for business). You will still learn programming, but your learning path will be geared towards providing data insights towards business and economics.

Ultimately it depends on you. If you prefer more career options/unsure of your future path, go for CS. If you prefer to work in business sector as a data analyst, go for BA. But do note that all courses in SoC are highly competitive nowadays. If you get to study Econs in NUS and still interested in Computing, you can consider doing minor in BA/CS (or even double major/double degree).
Wow thanks for that explanation!! Its was really helpful for coming to my conclusion of putting cs as first choice.

A quick question tho, i dont see a econs with cs major or minor option on their website....is it possible to take econs with cs?
scgoh123
post Jan 22 2021, 12:19 AM

846 posts

QUOTE(Homuntan02 @ Jan 21 2021, 11:43 AM)
Wow thanks for that explanation!! Its was really helpful for coming to my conclusion of putting cs as first choice.

A quick question tho, i dont see a econs with cs major or minor option on their website....is it possible to take econs with cs?
Major/minor options will be available to you when you got accepted into NUS (a few weeks before matriculation I guess?)

BUT Taking Econs with CS can be extremely challenging, just a warning ahead.
jstan102
post Jan 22 2021, 10:05 AM

Getting Started
67 posts

Another route you can take is to apply for a different couse in NUS and try to apply for transfer once you are in. I have known many (locals and international students) who managed to transfer from Engineering to CS, but it is still not guaranteed.

QUOTE(Homuntan02 @ Jan 21 2021, 10:43 AM)

CS is a restricted minor. You will only receive an invitation to apply for the minor after your 1st semester. However, you are free to take the classes before that but due to NUS's module registration system, you won't get priority in placement as it will go to those who are majoring CS first. Even those who are majoring in CS find troubles securing the classes due to the large cohort size too.

This post has been edited by jstan102: Jan 22 2021, 10:07 AM
TSHomuntan02 P
post Jan 22 2021, 09:48 PM

Probation
24 posts

QUOTE(scgoh123 @ Jan 22 2021, 12:19 AM)
Major/minor options will be available to you when you got accepted into NUS (a few weeks before matriculation I guess?)

BUT Taking Econs with CS can be extremely challenging, just a warning ahead.
Ah alright thanks. would you say even a minor is extremely challenging?

TSHomuntan02 P
post Jan 22 2021, 09:51 PM

Probation
24 posts

QUOTE(jstan102 @ Jan 22 2021, 10:05 AM)
Another route you can take is to apply for a different couse in NUS and try to apply for transfer once you are in. I have known many (locals and international students) who managed to transfer from Engineering to CS, but it is still not guaranteed.
CS is a restricted minor. You will only receive an invitation to apply for the minor after your 1st semester. However, you are free to take the classes before that but due to NUS's module registration system, you won't get priority in placement as it will go to those who are majoring CS first. Even those who are majoring in CS find troubles securing the classes due to the large cohort size too.
Ah that's interesting however I'm not eligible to apply for engineering courses as I did not take physics in A-levels. thanks for explaining and the advise! by any chance would you know if the personal statement matters when it comes to admissions?

scgoh123
post Jan 23 2021, 02:02 PM

846 posts

QUOTE(Homuntan02 @ Jan 22 2021, 10:51 PM)
Ah that's interesting however I'm not eligible to apply for engineering courses as I did not take physics in A-levels. thanks for explaining and the advise! by any chance would you know if the personal statement matters when it comes to admissions?
If I am not wrong you can still take bridging physics courses in your First Year if you get into engineering.

And yes, personal statement does matter when applying. It shows your motivation to study in Singapore, and also judging how good you are in expressing yourself using English.
scgoh123
post Jan 23 2021, 02:09 PM

846 posts

QUOTE(Homuntan02 @ Jan 22 2021, 10:48 PM)
Ah alright thanks. would you say even a minor is extremely challenging?
Depending on your minor. Some minors are easy and manageable (Like Languages, Asian Studies), but I know that CS is definitely considered hard as a minor.

You should refer to the lecture notes here (it's outdated but still useful IMO) to see whether CS really suits you or not. Do take note that this is just notes from an introductory programming module.

This post has been edited by scgoh123: Jan 23 2021, 02:09 PM
jstan102
post Jan 23 2021, 03:54 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(Homuntan02 @ Jan 22 2021, 09:51 PM)
As scgoh mentioned, you don't need to take Physics in A-lvls to apply for engineering courses, you will just need to take bridging physics modules when you're enrolled, and I believe personal statement also play a role, especially if you're looking for the scholarship too. There's no separate application for scholarship, so the only way they will judge you is from your results, achievements and personal statement before calling you for an interview.
TSHomuntan02 P
post Jan 25 2021, 02:34 PM

Probation
24 posts

Ah thats interesting.. thanks everyone for all the help!! hope I get in biggrin.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0139sec    0.58    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:56 PM