Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

From industrial engineering to programmer, Need advice and guidance

views

TSDominion101
post Jan 13 2021, 04:44 PM, updated 4y ago

Getting Started
104 posts

Hello everyone, I am 28 years old unofficially. My background is I graduated in 2016 in manufacturing engineering and management from USM. Right now I'm doing my masters, MBA in one university in China. I have been in China for about 2 years and will graduate in 2022. I am in Malaysia right now since we are not allowed to come back because of pandemic worldwide.

Having a lot of free time right now has allowed me to think about my future career prospect. I don't think the knowledge that is teach in my masters is of adding much value to me and so I take the initiative to learn a lot of things by myself. Mostly reading books about a lot of topics .

I get a few job invitation in LinkedIn as an industrial engineer. Somehow, I feel that it doesn't excite me as much but it's not that bad too. But due to current situation I have to refuse the job offer since I still have to go back to my university sooner or later.

I think becoming a programmer as my career seems like a good option. The pay is quite good and the things that I will be doing is ok too. There's a good balance of pay, future career prospect and thus a nice lifestyle.

Right now I am thinking to start learning about programming. I read other people experiences from blog and I also watch videos on YouTube. I ask people that I know in my circle that works as a programmer too. Now, I come across this evergreen lowyat forum website, I hope to get your advice and perspective on this. Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you !
thirumaran
post Jan 13 2021, 04:54 PM

On my way
579 posts

I graduated in IE from Canada 25 years ago, my first job was in a Telco, writing process, procedures and policies for the Call Center. I eventually ended up in the IT industry and I am 50% in writing process, procedures and policies for software development and 50% managing a software program/project.

I have 0% experience in coding/programming.

Do you want to work as a programmer or do you want to work in the IT/software industry?

P/S I also have a useless MBA (but I was sponsored by my previous co, so it wasn't too bad)

This post has been edited by thirumaran: Jan 13 2021, 04:54 PM
PCLover2010
post Jan 13 2021, 04:54 PM

Getting Started
188 posts

Programmer job is just programming based on 1 or more programming languages.

Some programming languages are easier to learn and understand than others, but all share some fundamentals and common stuff. If you can comprehend the common stuff like the common structures, logics (if, else, for, while, operators, usage of functions, variables, class, objects, etc), then it won't be hard at all.

So long as you have a computer that can access to Internet, you can learn online, millions of websites on various programming languages, Youtube can also help provided you find the correct channel/user/uploader.

Usually for dummies/beginners/someone who wants to start off programming, I would recommend W3Schools Online and learn from there. It is newbie friendly.

Also ask yourself whether you want to work for company to do programming work for them or you want to be freelancer? Got difference because if work in a company, you can learn how one company's way of doing the programming as some have certain structures and policy/guidelines to follow. Freelancer type would be follow your own instinct, follow your guts, follow your feelings, can ended up doing things wrongly. But you can't learn without making mistakes and programmers make mistake and learn from them and repeat this cycle again and again until improvise further.

Paywise? I think quite good lor, depends on big or small company. If company stable, then you get your payslip monthly (and hopefully on time too).
TSDominion101
post Jan 13 2021, 05:36 PM

Getting Started
104 posts

QUOTE(thirumaran @ Jan 13 2021, 04:54 PM)
I graduated in IE from Canada 25 years ago, my first job was in a Telco, writing process, procedures and policies for the Call Center.  I eventually ended up in the IT industry and I am 50% in writing process, procedures and policies for software development and 50% managing a software program/project.

I have 0% experience in coding/programming.

Do you want to work as a programmer or do you want to work in the IT/software industry?

P/S I also have a useless MBA (but I was sponsored by my previous co, so it wasn't too bad)
That sounds like an industrial engineer jobscope. I think as a programmer you will end up in the IT/software industry. And for the industries, as I am still are very less in exposure to a lot of industries. I will give it a shot and contribute.

How do you handle the program/project without any coding/programming knowledge ? How do you manage that?

Yeah, for me it's just something nice to put on your CV that may help you to get to the front door. But to say that it's something that makes you a valueable person, it needs proof for that.

TSDominion101
post Jan 13 2021, 05:47 PM

Getting Started
104 posts

QUOTE(PCLover2010 @ Jan 13 2021, 04:54 PM)
Programmer job is just programming based on 1 or more programming languages.

Some programming languages are easier to learn and understand than others, but all share some fundamentals and common stuff. If you can comprehend the common stuff like the common structures, logics (if, else, for, while, operators, usage of functions, variables, class, objects, etc), then it won't be hard at all.

So long as you have a computer that can access to Internet, you can learn online, millions of websites on various programming languages, Youtube can also help provided you find the correct channel/user/uploader.

Usually for dummies/beginners/someone who wants to start off programming, I would recommend W3Schools Online and learn from there. It is newbie friendly.

Also ask yourself whether you want to work for company to do programming work for them or you want to be freelancer? Got difference because if work in a company, you can learn how one company's way of doing the programming as some have certain structures and policy/guidelines to follow. Freelancer type would be follow your own instinct, follow your guts, follow your feelings, can ended up doing things wrongly. But you can't learn without making mistakes and programmers make mistake and learn from them and repeat this cycle again and again until improvise further.

Paywise? I think quite good lor, depends on big or small company. If company stable, then you get your payslip monthly (and hopefully on time too).
I am in the process of finding the best resources to learn programming. And you're right. Programming is one of the courses that you can learn without having to go to university to get a degree. You can learn it from ur room at home . And I really like this quotes, 'you don't learn programming by studying computer science. Same like you don't learn business by studying MBA'.
For me maybe, work for a company first just to build base knowledge, gain some experience as well as understand the market.

Thank you for the suggestion and guidance !

jackoats P
post Jan 14 2021, 12:21 AM

Probation
8 posts

Things are changing very fast in IT industry.

Before one could master a subject, new tech took over. Have to manage your career well and better have no long gaps in between jobs. Otherwise you will be treated as 'new'.

Older IT workers might get discriminated upon as they are being stereotyped as someone not able to keep up with times.
thirumaran
post Jan 14 2021, 12:38 PM

On my way
579 posts

QUOTE(Dominion101 @ Jan 13 2021, 05:36 PM)
That sounds like an industrial engineer jobscope. I think as a programmer you will end up in the IT/software industry. And for the industries, as I am still are very less in exposure to a lot of industries. I will give it a shot and contribute.

How do you handle the program/project without any coding/programming knowledge ? How do you manage that?

Yeah, for me it's just something nice to put on your CV that may help you to get to the front door. But to say that it's something that makes you a valueable person, it needs proof for that.
As a project/program manager you just need to know how the flow in software development works. Coding is just one part of it.
kevinlim001
post Jan 14 2021, 01:08 PM

Ethical Hacker
6,118 posts

QUOTE(Dominion101 @ Jan 13 2021, 05:36 PM)

what do you think is the jobscope of an industrial engineer? my wife working as industrial engineer for 10 years in multiple manufacturing company
myself i am a IT project manager for manufacturer industry started from a software engineer aka programmer
TSDominion101
post Jan 21 2021, 04:27 PM

Getting Started
104 posts

QUOTE(kevinlim001 @ Jan 14 2021, 01:08 PM)
what do you think is the jobscope of an industrial engineer? my wife working as industrial engineer for 10 years in multiple manufacturing company
myself i am a IT project manager for manufacturer industry started from a software engineer aka programmer
For me the jobscope of an industrial engineer is more on optimizing the flow of the processes/operations. It is responsible for a wide scope, require coordination with other departments. Industrial engineer is very flexible and can work in a lot of industries

I have less than 2 years of experience in the working environment. I'm hoping to do an internship or get some job to gain some experience since I am now 28 y.old(unofficial).

This post has been edited by Dominion101: Jan 21 2021, 04:34 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0190sec    1.00    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:05 PM