Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Password Manager

views

TSpadlie
post Dec 7 2020, 10:47 AM, updated 4y ago

Casual
327 posts

Do you use password manager?
Please suggest good password manager that can be used in windows, android and ios.
Thank you
Zot
post Dec 7 2020, 10:56 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

You have too many passwords that it is hard to remember them all. Then you have a manager to manage and protect your password. The manager itself being protected by a password. So, if the manager password is broken, then all you password will be exposed.

I don't think a password for the password manager is more secure then the rest of the password, right? Anyway, I used OI safe for my Android. Non for PC. laugh.gif
knight_hawk
post Dec 7 2020, 11:08 AM

Getting Started
147 posts

Many free online. I use keepass, ok, interface very old fashioned but free for win & droid. Got portable version as well.
TSpadlie
post Dec 7 2020, 11:11 AM

Casual
327 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Dec 7 2020, 10:56 AM)
I don't think a password for the password manager is more secure then the rest of the password, right?
I'm fully agree with you. Unfortunately, I'm getting older and the risk to forget a password become higher cry.gif .
mintgadget
post Dec 7 2020, 01:16 PM

Casual
317 posts

if you up to setting it up on docker try bitwarden it is open source, or you can use their cloud service.
RectangleX
post Dec 7 2020, 03:10 PM

On my way
642 posts

QUOTE(padlie @ Dec 7 2020, 10:47 AM)
Do you use password manager?
Please suggest good password manager that can be used in windows, android and ios.
Thank you
LastPass, is the best from my experiences.

https://www.safetydetectives.com/blog/the-b...sword-managers/

Here’s a summary of the best free password managers:

πŸ₯‡1. LastPass β€” #1 overall free password manager. Offers unlimited password storage on multiple devices, as well as more additional features than any other competitor. LastPass is the only free password manager that offers password auditing, 2FA compatibility, password sharing, and a built-in authenticator.
πŸ₯ˆ2. NordPass β€” Unlimited storage on multiple devices, plus an intuitive interface. Includes biometric logins, powerful security protections, and consistent auto-filling. Limits users to logging in on only one device at a time.
πŸ₯‰3. RememBear β€” Very user-friendly program which provides unlimited password storage on one device. Provides cute bear cartoons, a helpful achievement system for accessing additional features, and biometric logins for free users.
4. Bitwarden β€” Unlimited password storage + multi-device sync, but challenging interface. One of the best free password management plans, but the issues with auto-filling and auto-saving passwords make Bitwarden best for technically experienced users.
5. Sticky Password β€” Saves unlimited passwords and works with lots of browsers. Provides USB portability and biometric login, but you have to upgrade for multi-device sync.
Bonus: Dashlane β€” Great extra features, but limited storage on free plan. One-click password changer and breach monitoring are great, but only provides 50 passwords on a single device.

daisiesdontdoit92
post Dec 8 2020, 02:44 AM

On my way
574 posts

Recommend LastPass too.

MIT, the famous tech university, uses LastPass, so...

https://ist.mit.edu/lastpass

TSpadlie
post Dec 8 2020, 04:54 PM

Casual
327 posts

Thank you for the recommendations, everyone.
Matchy
post Dec 8 2020, 05:01 PM

Regular
1,105 posts

Using lastpass... I think its the best free password manager out there. (other normally paid/premium)
gooddays2020
post Dec 21 2020, 04:05 PM

Getting Started
66 posts

Better not to save banking password online, preferred just manually write down in notebook and keep it at home. Dont trust these software too much, why would they keep your password for free
TSpadlie
post Dec 26 2020, 07:31 PM

Casual
327 posts

No. Banking related info should not be saved. Must remember it
graphidz
post Dec 26 2020, 07:38 PM

F.A.T.E
1,408 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Dec 7 2020, 10:56 AM)
You have too many passwords that it is hard to remember them all. Then you have a manager to manage and protect your password. The manager itself being protected by a password. So, if the manager password is broken, then all you password will be exposed.

I don't think a password for the password manager is more secure then the rest of the password, right? Anyway, I used OI safe for my Android. Non for PC.  laugh.gif
If you use the same password for the password manager and the rest of your logins, then yes the password manager is useless. But you are supposed to use a very special, unique and hard to guess only for the password manager. Then it is safe. Then once you got your password manager, change the other logins to something random for example and use the password manager to save it.

Anyway, I recommend Bitwarden. Open source so you can use your own server if you want. They recently got security audit iinm. And it's only $10 a year for premium. And even then, I don't know what premium has over the free one since the free already allows for sync across devices and unlimited accounts. I pay $10 just to support the dev.
Zot
post Dec 26 2020, 09:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(graphidz @ Dec 26 2020, 07:38 PM)
If you use the same password for the password manager and the rest of your logins, then yes the password manager is useless. But you are supposed to use a very special, unique and hard to guess only for the password manager. Then it is safe. Then once you got your password manager, change the other logins to something random for example and use the password manager to save it.

Anyway, I recommend Bitwarden. Open source so you can use your own server if you want. They recently got security audit iinm. And it's only $10 a year for premium. And even then, I don't know what premium has over the free one since the free already allows for sync across devices and unlimited accounts. I pay $10 just to support the dev.
Like most people, who like to type in long complicated password just to get into website. Smart site will allow 3x wrong guess and lock. Even with 5 minutes delay, brute force most likely won't work. Even detecting too fast key in between password would work also to catch hacking
graphidz
post Dec 26 2020, 11:32 PM

F.A.T.E
1,408 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Dec 26 2020, 09:05 PM)
Like most people, who like to type in long complicated password just to get into website. Smart site will allow 3x wrong guess and lock. Even with 5 minutes delay, brute force most likely won't work. Even detecting too fast key in between password would work also to catch hacking
You're too optimistic people would type long and complicated passwords. Also, not all sites have that function to lock out users after X attempts.

But unless you have a really good memory to memorize long passwords for different sites, you'd probably be using the same one for different sites. Compromise one, then the others are compromised as well. This is what password managers are used to solve. Plus, some password managers will inform you if certain sites have been breached or not so you can immediately change it.
Zot
post Dec 27 2020, 07:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(graphidz @ Dec 26 2020, 11:32 PM)
You're too optimistic people would type long and complicated passwords. Also, not all sites have that function to lock out users after X attempts.

But unless you have a really good memory to memorize long passwords for different sites, you'd probably be using the same one for different sites. Compromise one, then the others are compromised as well. This is what password managers are used to solve. Plus, some password managers will inform you if certain sites have been breached or not so you can immediately change it.
That is because sites are not secure and blamed simple password. If the site is breached, long complicated password is also useless, right?

graphidz
post Dec 27 2020, 09:32 PM

F.A.T.E
1,408 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Dec 27 2020, 07:27 PM)
That is because sites are not secure and blamed simple password. If the site is breached, long complicated password is also useless, right?
Yep. If the site is breached and passwords are leaked in -god forbid- plain text, no amount of length and complicated password is safe.

If the site is not breached, with simple and reused password, your account alone will still be breached. Which is why you use a password manager. You can store unique and complicated password for each logins. Unique, so that if one site is breached, the perpetrator won't be able to use the same password on other sites, and complicated to avoid brute force (which some important sites have other preventative measure, like locking out after a few tries and 2 factor authentication for examples).
iambreathing12 P
post Mar 9 2021, 12:07 PM

Probation
25 posts

Bitwarden

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0203sec    0.36    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:59 PM