Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Synology DS920+ Review (4-bays NAS), RIP internet data edition (Review)

views

TSxxboxx
post Nov 24 2020, 02:36 AM, updated 3 months ago

The mind is for having ideas, not holding them
4,833 posts

NAS

Network. Attached. Storage.

Something that the general consumer has no clear idea what it is about, let alone how to use it. Ironically most of them have already been using Google Drive or Apple iCloud or Microsoft OneDrive for many years and appreciate having it for cloud storage, backup, data sync, sharing, and plenty other more functions. NAS can feel quite overwhelming when first time using it, especially since the very nature of NAS is to have extensive functions that cater to almost every type of needs. The good news is that these days most NAS operating systems have been designed to be more user friendly, 1 click function. You can just use it for basic needs such as storing data, doing backup, and then expand on your usage in future when you discover additional things you can do with NAS. I have been using NAS for years and yet till now I am still just realizing additional functions that can be performed by NAS.

Enough of my rambling, let’s start with the review.

Hardware

An unbleached box with a paper stick in front of it for the model number and some specs greet you when you receive it. Simplistic or eco-friendly is best described for it or cheap is worse description for it. Depends how you view the world.
user posted image

On the side there’s some info for the NAS size, weight, ports, warranty and also the contents in the box
user posted image

Finally, the main course. The protagonist. The Mr. Gorgeous. The DS920+ in full black stealth mode. It is actually more compact than what I thought it is from internet picture. It is also very light thanks to it’s compact design and plastic shell. Power button, 1 USB 3.0 port and 5 LED light at the front.
user posted image

On the back, most of it is occupied by 2 massive fans doing it’s job to suck out all the heat those HDD produce, I would say it’s quite efficient and silent. There’s 2 network ports with 1 Gb/s speed each in here. You can set it as link aggregation to achieve 2 Gb/s speed but I would prefer if 1 or both of the ports is 2.5Gb/s, newer routers these days have started to come with 2.5 Gb/s ports so having port with such speed will make it more future-proof. There’s eSATA port and one more USB port. There's a small hole for poking with a pin to reset the NAS, a small inconvenience to pay for avoiding any accidental reset. It also got Kensington lock, don’t want people to run off with your precious data right. Power port that looks like a PS/2 port, not a fan of it, really hard to guess whether you align it properly when trying to connect the cable without having the DS920+ back facing you.
user posted image

At the bottom we find 2 slots for M.2 NVME, add one stick of SSD for read cache or add 2 sticks for read and write cache, useful to improve the responsiveness of your frequently read and/or write files, HDD after all has very low IOPS if compared to SSD. Might also help to improve the HDD longevity too. But sadly it can’t be configured to be a storage pool, maybe in future Synology will add it seeing how their other competitors already added the function.
user posted image

Inside of the NAS, I like how 3 sides of the wall is fully utilised for airflow. 1 side with it’s motherboard so obviously can’t be used for airflow. Even the SATA board have cut-out to improve airflow. Synology have done a really good job here at making sure the HDD can be cooled off properly.
user posted image

The inside right side is where the empty DDR4 slot houses. You can add RAM to expand the memory from it’s default 4GB, but you can’t remove the existing 4GB RAM as it is soldered on the NAS.
user posted image

The HDD tray using clip on instead of screw to secure the HDD, it makes mount and unmount HDD more simplified. It also has rubber as a damper between the clip, that should help to minimize vibration.
user posted image

The installation guide. Compared it to an installation guide from 10 years ago. Lucky we have the internet these days, no more flipping through text book thick guides.
user posted image

I like how the logo is also used as an air vent to cool down internal components. You can install LED strips on it if want some bling-bling LOL
user posted image
TSxxboxx
post Nov 24 2020, 02:36 AM

4,833 posts

DiskStation Manager (DSM)

After installing the HDD, boot up the DS920+ and plug in LAN cable, accessing the DSM is very easy, follow the installation guide that asks you to open http://find.synology.com on your web browser. It will start searching for Synology NAS on the network and when it finds it, it will ask you to connect.
user posted image

After agreeing to some Synology’s EULA, time to start setting it up. First you need to install the latest DSM. It will automatically download the latest DSM from Synology server and install it. But somehow it failed to download the installation file, after trying for a few times and still failing I then manually downloaded the DSM and manual install it. Ironically it detected as if I moved the HDD from another DiskStation to this DS920+, maybe the failed download being flagged as previous installation. Just to be safe I go for Reinstallation. After few minutes it finish install and restart the NAS
user posted image

First thing after restarting, DSM asks you to create an administrator account. After creating it you will use this account to login into DSM. The default administrator name account will be disabled. This is a good move from Synology as a lot of NAS being hacked are due to the user still using default administrator name account, one less thing for hackers to guess or dig for info. After that you can also create QuickConnect ID if you need to access DS920+ outside of your local network. QuickConnect is an alternative method than using DDNS. There's a risk of being hacked if your NAS is connected to the internet, the best way is using VPN to access your NAS. If use without VPN, you can also minimized the risk by always changing QuickConnect ID, using 2FA authentication, strong password, only use https, change default port to higher than 1024, use firewall and geolocation blocking, disable any service you not using such as FTP or SSH, use proxy server, enable auto block, among others. Anyway, after finishing it you are presented with some quick start tips before finally having access to the desktop.
user posted image

Top left is the Main Menu, similar to the WINDOWS button, it opens to show all apps that you have. Top middle is the taskbar that will show icons for all apps that are open. Top most right when clicking will show/hide the widget, you can choose a lot of options to show on the widget, which is scrollable. Second most right is the search function, it will list out all that it finds the moment you type. You need to add folders/volume to be indexed first though to make it searchable, by default it will not auto add new volume to be indexed. Third most right is setting for the current logged on user, you can change account settings and desktop theme, among others. And the last is when click it will show all notifications, it can also be customized what service will show notification.
user posted image

What I like about the DSM's desktop is you have all your apps in the Main Menu and you can add apps that you frequently use on the desktop. On some other NAS all the apps are on the desktop only. When you have multiple windows open and you want to open another app, having a Main Menu that houses all apps is very useful, whereas if all apps only on desktop you have to minimize open windows then only you’ll be able to open apps on desktop.

To start using the HDD that you have plugged in, first go to the Storage Manager and create a storage pool, here you can specify whether to create a single disk as single volume or as RAID, and the type of RAID that you need. SHR is Synology's own RAID method which it will adjust accordingly depending on HDDs connected, SHR also can also be expanded when you add HDD without the need to destroy and create a new pool. RAID-1 option if you only need mirroring or will only use 2 HDDs. RAID-5 option if you have 3 or more HDD and want to maximize your usable space. It will recommend to perform a drive check which will scrub the whole disk to check for any bad sectors. For this pool I choose SHR for RAID type as I want the flexibility of adding different sizes of HDD in future while still maximizing my storage pool.
user posted image

One thing to note is if you have all the HDD ready to use, it’s better to plug all of them and let Synology OS verify all the HDDs at the same time. I have 2 8TB HDDs but only plug 1 first, it takes 12 hours to complete verifying. After that I plug in the second HDD and it takes 24 hours to complete checking and expanding. Around this time the third HDD that I ordered arrived and it takes about 36 hours to complete checking and expanding the last HDD. Including idle time it takes me a total of almost 5 days to complete the storage pool. sweat.gif
user posted image
(When my first HDD start verifying)

After creating the storage pool, it is time to create volume or volumes. You can have more than 1 volume in your storage pool if you have specific needs. For the file system you can choose either BTRFS or EXT4. During volume creation you can set how many GB you want to allocate for each volume. Since I don't need more than 1 volume so I maximized the size and use BTRFS for the file system since it can do checksum, self-healing, snapshots, and many more.
user posted image

Finally time to create Folder, this can be accessed from Control Panel > Shared Folder. Here is your management of each Folder. In NAS terms, Folder is something like how Windows sees a drive. Instead of a drive letter, here you put a name for Folder. You can also have a description of it. Can choose to hide any Folder from My Network Places. If you have more than 1 volume, you can choose which volume each Folder is located, whether to use Recycle Bin, encrypt the Folder, set quota, enable checksum, file compression, and self-healing for data integrity, which account can have access to each Folder, and many more. More than enough for home users and still satisfied corporate users.
user posted image

One thing is I noticed, the Toshiba HDD is reported as running much cooler in Synology than my old Asustor NAS. Since the temperature data is being read from the HDD itself, I don’t think it’s misreported by any of the NAS. But the difference is too big to ignore. As I said earlier, Synology did a good job in making sure the components inside are cooled off.
user posted image

Since DS920+ also has 2 M.2 NVME slots, I add 2 256GB Gen 3 SSD and configure it for read and write cache. The system will configure both SSD as RAID-1. If you only install 1 SSD then it can only act as a read cache. Performance wise, after some time using it, I don’t feel any slowdown when loading files that I access frequently. The Cache Hit Rate does look impressive. How much improvement is hard to say since on a system without dedicated cache, usually it will use free RAM as cache.
user posted image

This post has been edited by xxboxx: Nov 24 2020, 02:45 AM
TSxxboxx
post Nov 24 2020, 02:37 AM

4,833 posts

Transfer Rate

File transfer rate is one of the important things that NAS handle. I’ll try doing transfer between HDD in the NAS as well as between other devices over gigabit LAN.

First test is read from a single HDD volume and written to 3 HDDs that are in SHR. The single HDD is WD40EFRX, spec listed its transfer rate is up to 150MB/s. No problem achieving such speed.
user posted image

Writing back to the single HDD also shows similar results. DS920+ clearly has no issue maximizing internal transfer rate. CPU usage is also comfortably low.
user posted image

Second test is using CIFS for transfer, transfer with Windows 10 on the ethernet line. File from DS920+ sent to Windows 10, no problem to reach and maintain maximum speed.
user posted image

File from Windows 10 send to DS920+ also no problem to maintain gigabit maximum speed. The CPU utilization is also at the low side.
user posted image

Transfer from another device to DS920+ using NFS. Transfer to and from another device also has no problem to saturate the maximum gigabit speed. This NAS has no problem for gigabit speed transfer and does so without it’s CPU breaking any sweat.
user posted image

Package Center
user posted image

Here are all the apps that you can install/uninstall. You can sort it by type of usage for easier searching. Apps that have been installed can also be stopped in here to temporarily free up system usage instead of uninstalling it. It also groups Synology own apps and third party apps separately. Plenty of third party apps are available, such as Docker, Apache HTTP server, Maria DB, Plex, Python, Team Viewer. It also has a tab for Installed apps for easier management.
TSxxboxx

4,833 posts

Video Streaming using DLNA, Plex and Video Station

DLNA is a media server/client protocol that is most widely used. It makes it very easy to stream video/music/photos to compatible devices using this protocol. Windows already are capable of receiving DLNA streams natively. Android devices can receive streams by installing DLNA supported apps such as VLC. Most smart TVs also have DLNA. I prefer using this protocol to stream video to my TV as it is very straight forward, there’s no complex setup that needs to be done. Additionally the video streamed is not transcoded, so it maintains the original video quality. To use this function, the Media Server app must be installed first and you have to set which folders to index video, music, and photos. There’s not much impact on CPU usage as it’s basically the same as transferring files over the network.
user posted image

Using Plex is also possible with this NAS. I’ll look at how the CPU handles transcoding as that is the appeal of using Plex. I don't have Plex pass so H.265/HEVC video can’t be playback on its original format, it has to be transcoded first while H.264 video can be playback on its original format. First test is using 4K 10-bit HDR HEVC/H.265 video. The CPU goes into maximum speed transcoding the video to stream. It stays at 100% all the time when the video is playing. System temperature also increased to the highest I saw was 74c, up a lot from the usual 48c to 55c when idle or transferring files.
user posted image

Converting the video down to 1080p 8Mbps lowest bitrate doesn’t help either. CPU still goes to maximum, system temperature also stays hot. And yet the CPU can’t transcode fast enough for smooth playback.
user posted image

Using 1080p H.264 video, Plex can stream it directly without needing to convert, not much impact on CPU and video playback smoothly.
user posted image

Converting the same 1080p video to 720p at high setting, CPU usage increased to 100% initially and stabilized to 40% after converting enough buffer. Video does playback smoothly. CPU still run hot.
user posted image

Using the jellyfish video, I was able to playback smoothly for H.264 up to 110Mbps 1080p video. Going one resolution up to 4K, H.264 120Mbps video and it just loading without playback, but not much CPU processing though and it still streams the video. I think the problem lies on Chrome or Plex.
user posted image

Synology also has their own video player app called Video Station. You can playback on a web browser or stream it to compatible devices such as Chromecast or smart tv. It also will find image cover automatically based on the folder name. I tried playback on a web browser. Playback 1080p H.264 video went smoothly and not much CPU usage.
user posted image

It can also playback 1080p H.265/HEVC video smoothly but I think it converts to H.264 as can't choose Original for Playback Quality. Still not much CPU usage.
user posted image

Going up to 4K H.265/HEVC, video can still be played smoothly. It converts the video to 1080p, can’t choose Original. Not much impact on the CPU shows it is using hardware acceleration to convert the video.
user posted image

In my opinion, DS920+ are fully capable of streaming video using DLNA or Video Station. Using Plex, as long as you have Plex Pass then you can enable Hardware Acceleration then it will be fine, otherwise the maximum you can go is 1080p H.264. Software transcoding should not be used on DS920+ as the system is not designed to run very hot for a long time.
TSxxboxx

4,833 posts

Photos Station and Moments

With the recent announcement by Google that they will stop offering unlimited photo storage next year, I believe more people will have to start looking for ways to backup their photos. One of the benefits of having NAS is you can have similar functions as what Google offers without the restriction of small storage. I have been backing up my photos and videos on NAS for years now and have more than 100GB data now. If I were to use Google One I need to pay RM120 every year just to store these data. This hasn't included other data. If I include all data that I consider as irreplaceable I will need to subscribe to Google’s 2TB plan which will cost me RM430 annually. And that haven't count my other family members' usage.

Synology has 2 apps for managing your photos, it might sound weird why the need for 2 apps to do the same things, but they have legitimate reasons why the need for 2 apps.

Moments are the newer app, it is targeted for those that just want to upload into backup storage and let the software sort everything by itself, similar to how Google and Apple’s photo app. You just upload the photo from your PC or by installing the mobile phone app and it will upload photos on your mobile phone. The app will auto create albums by itself, grouping by different topics such as people, locations, and subjects. Afterward you can still arrange the photos to each folder yourself. You can also share the photo just like how other cloud providers do. I uploaded 10 photos each of 3 people, a dog and a mountain.
user posted image

It feels exactly the same as if I’m using Photos. When opened you are presented with the timeline of all your photos. You can also change the folder view on top right. On the most right side you can see the date and click to go to the selected date.
user posted image

The top middle button without a label is the auto created albums. It will auto sort by people, subjects, and places.
user posted image

Clicking on the People, it will show all the faces that it recognized as the same person. You can also give a name for each person. Living up to his legend, Keanu is the only one that Moments gets correct of all his 10 photos plus another 3 group photos that are actually from Carrie’s photos. laugh.gif
user posted image

In the Subjects, it auto recognized 8 out of the 10 dog photos, it didn’t recognize 1 drawing of the dog as a dog (obviously) and one picture of the dog’s running. Interestingly the dog’s running picture is still recognized as an animal. Only 1 photo of the mountain is not recognized as a mountain but instead as a flower due to the sakura's covering almost all the sides. Additionally it also created clouds and lakes as subjects.
user posted image

Going into the photo, it will display the taken date on the bottom right and location (if available) on the bottom left. The button layout is very familiar to other cloud hoster. You got back on top left, next and previous on both sides, few icons on the top right. First icon is share, where you can create a link that is publicly accessible or specific to the user/group in the NAS. Second icon is Information, where you can see the date taken, filename, camera that took the pic, location if available, which you can click and it’s open Google Maps for the location, you can also add description and tags to the photo. Third button is Edit where you can do auto color and rotate the picture, it’s edit functions is still lacking, maybe Synology will add more functions in future. Next is the Delete button and the last is 3 dots that are to start a slideshow, download it or add to the album.
user posted image

Moments is actually part of the Drive app, you must have Drive app installed on the NAS before you can install Moments. Drive functions the same as the more well known Drive. It also have the accompanying software that can be installed on PC and mobile phone and behave the same as that well known Drive.
user posted image

Touching briefly on Photo Station, it is more geared towards professional/corporate use to interact with clients. There’s even an About Me function for you/company's own introduction. In addition to sharing photos or albums, the recipients can also give feedback directly by inputting comments and making highlight areas.
user posted image

The Information for the photo is way more detailed here than in Moments. You can also add location tag, people tag, general tag, and add comments.
user posted image

Another thing that Photo Station have is the function to show the pictures on the map. My Oneplus phone’s Gallery also has similar functions and it is always interesting to see how many pictures I have at which location. Due to the limited space on my phone, after I backup the photos to my NAS I will delete the photos on the phone. Now I can see back all those photos based on their location.
user posted image

I think I wrote way too long already. I’ll touch on a few more functions/apps and end this review. I’ll create another review/guide for Synology’s Drive and Moments as it is very extensive. It basically does everything that Google Drive and Photos can do. This alone might make it worth migrating to Synology especially now that Google have announced no more unlimited photos storage, also if you have few people that will use it and everyone has a lot of data.
TSxxboxx

4,833 posts

Active Backup For Business

If you have plenty of machines, this app helps to consolidate backup for all machines in here. Every backup can be monitored and scheduled here.
user posted image

Hyper Backup

Hyper Backup is Synology integrated solution for doing backup. Whether you are doing local backup, or to an external device, or to other NAS, or by rsync, or even cloud backup, all of it can be configured here. Currently I have it rsync to my other NAS for backup of my personal data and even Synology own app data.
user posted image

Virtual Machine

As with almost all NAS these days, DS920+ also supports Virtual Machine. The installation and running it are fairly straight forward. I installed Windows 10 and have it running for 1 week straight. It lasted the whole time without crashing.
user posted image

Docker

Another third party app that should be mentioned is Docker. From opensource.com: “Docker is a bit like a virtual machine. But unlike a virtual machine, rather than creating a whole virtual operating system, Docker allows applications to use the same Linux kernel as the system that they're running on and only requires applications be shipped with things not already running on the host computer”. I haven’t had a chance to tinker around with it, but this is something that has a lot of usage.
user posted image

I’ll end my review here. In summary, I feel this DS920+ is a very capable machine. Synology OS is well known for its stability and reliability. Most of it’s software feels more corporate oriented, but it has started to cater for home users too with more simplified apps such as Moments and Drive. Celeron J4125 and 4GB DDR4 is fast enough for most of it’s function, though if you planned to have more apps running and also run virtual machines, upgrading the memory is a must. The CPU also has no problem transcoding H.265/HEVC video, provided the app you use have access to hardware acceleration.

It didn’t come with 2.5Gb/s port feels like a missed opportunity. Nowadays newer routers already start having ports at this speed, and the NAS CPU clearly has no issue handling such speed. M.2 NVME can’t be configured as volume also is a let down.

Overall I think it is a good choice of NAS in terms of performance vs hardware. It is a NAS that excels in transferring files and robust selection of software for plenty of functions. This latest model might be slightly more expensive than it’s former DS918+, but with it you get faster CPU and RAM. In the long run, it is the better choice.
fireballs
post Nov 24 2020, 02:54 AM

5,245 posts

thanks for the detailed review

i am looking for google photo replacement too. does the moment app auto classify videos as well?

what is the cheapest synalogy that supports this function? RM2.5k is a bit stiff for the price without counting the disks.
TSxxboxx
post Nov 24 2020, 03:09 AM

4,833 posts

QUOTE(fireballs @ Nov 24 2020, 02:54 AM)
thanks for the detailed review

i am looking for google photo replacement too. does the moment app auto classify videos as well?

what is the cheapest synalogy that supports this function? RM2.5k is a bit stiff for the price without counting the disks.
Thanks for reading!

Moments should classified video too but I haven't try much on it. I tried put one video which is H.265/HEVC codec with .mkv extension and Moments doesn't support it. I will try tomorrow using .mp4 H.264 video.

I think almost all of it's newer model support it. But better check at it's website first to confirm. If you only going to use it for storing personal data that at most will take few TB size, getting a 2-bay NAS is enough as it is much cheaper.
fireballs
post Nov 24 2020, 03:14 AM

5,245 posts

I was looking at 220j as it's the cheapest one

But the difference between spec is way too confusing
TSxxboxx
post Nov 24 2020, 08:08 AM

4,833 posts

QUOTE(fireballs @ Nov 24 2020, 03:14 AM)
I was looking at 220j as it's the cheapest one

But the difference between spec is way too confusing
I check that 220j does support Drive and Moments apps. It got an entry level hardwares, probably can do basic stuff like transfer files efficiently but probably can't do more CPU intensive stuff such as transcoding video or virtual machine. But the biggest disadvantage I feel is it doesn't support BTRFS, which I feel a must have to make sure data integrity won't be compromised. I would suggest getting the 220+ instead since that model is more powerful and can do almost everything that other bigger model can do.
TSxxboxx
post Nov 24 2020, 09:05 AM

4,833 posts

I tried uploading .mp4 H.264 video to Moments. It will show up in the Moments timeline. Using PC browser it can playback the video inside the browser, but using Moments app on Android, it need external player to playback the video.
christeen
post Nov 24 2020, 05:34 PM

Getting Started
86 posts

Nice review. Bought one as well. Are you using/connect UPS to the NAS?
TSxxboxx
post Nov 24 2020, 06:45 PM

4,833 posts

QUOTE(christeen @ Nov 24 2020, 05:34 PM)
Nice review. Bought one as well. Are you using/connect UPS to the NAS?
I'm using UPS but not those with usb connection.
fireballs
post Nov 24 2020, 10:03 PM

5,245 posts

Can the nas be safely shit down when triggered by UPS?
Phobia after my buffalo incident. Power cut then whole nas corrupt.

If yes then what is the ups requirement

Also why ironwolf seagate ? Also phobia using sg consumer drives.
TSxxboxx
post Nov 24 2020, 11:23 PM

4,833 posts

QUOTE(fireballs @ Nov 24 2020, 10:03 PM)
Can the nas be safely shit down when triggered by UPS?
Phobia after my buffalo incident. Power cut then whole nas corrupt.

If yes then what is the ups requirement

Also why ironwolf seagate ?  Also phobia using sg consumer drives.
You need to get UPS that have USB port to connect to NAS. Such as APC Smart UPS.

Seagate HDD for NAS so far still ok.
fireballs
post Nov 25 2020, 12:00 AM

5,245 posts

https://www.lazada.com.my/products/right-po...s486003152.html

how about this one. has usb port
spec says support win, mac, linux, bsd, sun

the apc also lists as a software for linux, win, mac
https://www.apc.com/shop/my/en/products/APC...230V/P-SMT1500I
TSxxboxx
post Nov 25 2020, 12:29 AM

4,833 posts

QUOTE(fireballs @ Nov 25 2020, 12:00 AM)
https://www.lazada.com.my/products/right-po...s486003152.html
how about this one. has usb port
spec says support win, mac, linux, bsd, sun
the apc also lists as a software for linux, win, mac
https://www.apc.com/shop/my/en/products/APC...230V/P-SMT1500I
In the question to seller got mention it can
Hi there, does this USB version can support auto shut down while the battery is low?
Tio J. - 30 Dec 2019

Hi, it can support for your pc auto shut down . But make sure your powertank is running
YES IT DISTRIBUTION - answered within 21 hours
fireballs
post Nov 25 2020, 12:34 AM

5,245 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Nov 25 2020, 12:29 AM)
In the question to seller got mention it can
yes i saw that reply too. but nas is not pc. dont think can install the software in the DSM interface, right?

edmund_yung
post Nov 25 2020, 12:41 AM

Regular
1,160 posts

Nice review, I couldn't have written any better.

I'm using Plex too, consuming it on Android TV powered by Xiaomi MiBox S. I don't need to sub Plex Pass to playback movies. Since there's no transcoding, performance is limited by the MiBox speed or network speed.
TSxxboxx
post Nov 25 2020, 01:01 AM

4,833 posts

QUOTE(fireballs @ Nov 25 2020, 12:34 AM)
yes i saw that reply too. but nas is not pc. dont think can install the software in the DSM interface, right?
I believe the UPS send signal that can be interpreted by NAS or PC.
Just to be sure better ask the seller.

QUOTE(edmund_yung @ Nov 25 2020, 12:41 AM)
Nice review, I couldn't have written any better.

I'm using Plex too, consuming it on Android TV powered by Xiaomi MiBox S. I don't need to sub Plex Pass to playback movies. Since there's no transcoding, performance is limited by the MiBox speed or network speed.
Your video is in NAS or PC?
fireballs
post Nov 25 2020, 01:40 AM

5,245 posts

https://www.synology.com/en-global/compatib...egory=upses&p=1

https://www.lazada.com.my/products/cyberpow...s219209182.html

so this is compatible

This post has been edited by fireballs: Nov 25 2020, 01:43 AM
mintgadget
post Nov 25 2020, 03:14 PM

Casual
309 posts

nicely written dude. great effort.

been using synology for over a decade and really seen how the product has grown

as for the UPS as long as the USB port with software it should run without any problems, the best use for it is gradual shutdown when batt is low, which means if there is no power to it your NAS will survive until about 3 mins left in battery and get your NAS to be in safe mode. during this time power can cut anytime and won't risk damaging your volume.

you could mount your google shared drive/aka team drive previously and supposedly get "unlimited" storage.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by mintgadget: Nov 25 2020, 03:27 PM
edmund_yung
post Nov 25 2020, 03:35 PM

Regular
1,160 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Nov 25 2020, 01:01 AM)
I believe the UPS send signal that can be interpreted by NAS or PC.
Just to be sure better ask the seller.
Your video is in NAS or PC?
The video is in NAS. I depend on Plex to catalog and log which video I had watched. The Synology Video Station can also do the same thing but since I use Plex first, I'll stick to that for watching it on TV.

I do need Plex Pass to watch on iPad and my Android phone. So I'm using Video Station if I want to watch on those devices. DLNA is the last alternative.
mintgadget
post Nov 25 2020, 03:40 PM

Casual
309 posts

don't think you need plex pass to watch on devices, you only need to pay for activation for IOS think Android TV no need (not sure). but Plex Pass is worth it for this box as you can easily transcode up to 9 streams (hardware transcoding) without any issues (it a freaking celeron chip only)

the list of plex pass features -

https://support.plex.tv/articles/201751006-...ature-overview/

This post has been edited by mintgadget: Nov 25 2020, 03:42 PM
TSxxboxx
post Nov 25 2020, 05:30 PM

4,833 posts

QUOTE(mintgadget @ Nov 25 2020, 03:14 PM)
nicely written dude. great effort.

been using synology for over a decade and really seen how the product has grown

as for the UPS as long as the USB port with software it should run without any problems, the best use for it is gradual shutdown when batt is low, which means if there is no power to it your NAS will survive until about 3 mins left in battery and get your NAS to be in safe mode. during this time power can cut anytime and won't risk damaging your volume.

you could mount your google shared drive/aka team drive previously and supposedly get "unlimited" storage.

Attached Image
Is that 1 petabyte? sweat.gif

QUOTE(mintgadget @ Nov 25 2020, 03:40 PM)
don't think you need plex pass to watch on devices, you only need to pay for activation for IOS think Android TV no need (not sure). but Plex Pass is worth it for this box as you can easily transcode up to 9 streams (hardware transcoding) without any issues (it a freaking celeron chip only)

the list of plex pass features -

https://support.plex.tv/articles/201751006-...ature-overview/
You also using this model? Can transcode up to 9 streams is really something. But running at max speed and all the heat it generated all that time I don't think is good for the NAS in long run.
mintgadget
post Nov 25 2020, 06:40 PM

Casual
309 posts

i have yet to see a synology NAS break because of heat over all these years. besides i don't even enable hibernation for the drives as they are on all the time. these boxes are pretty powerful, your drives will die first prior to the box breaking smile.gif
TSxxboxx
post Nov 27 2020, 08:19 AM

4,833 posts

I also disable hibernation as don't want the HDD to stop-start constantly.
lygsl
post Dec 21 2020, 07:54 PM

42 posts

Everyone is asking about Google photo replacement storage/app. Synology is great but expensive in term of learning curve, maintenance, risk etc. You could setup your own Synology via old pc. Test it out whether its suit your purpose.
iZuDeeN
post Dec 22 2020, 09:23 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,222 posts

Synology has high flexibility.. for typical home users just get D-link ; sync and forget.. may not have tons of feature but for casual users should be enough
TSxxboxx
post Dec 22 2020, 03:40 PM

4,833 posts

QUOTE(lygsl @ Dec 21 2020, 07:54 PM)
Everyone is asking about Google photo replacement storage/app. Synology is great but expensive in term of learning curve, maintenance, risk etc. You could setup your own Synology via old pc. Test it out whether its suit your purpose.
You mean xpenology right?
For testing purpose is okay but I won't recommend for actual backup or storage as it's basically an illegal software and there's no guarantee on stability of the software.

QUOTE(iZuDeeN @ Dec 22 2020, 09:23 AM)
Synology has high flexibility.. for typical home users just get D-link ; sync and forget.. may not have tons of feature but for casual users should be enough
D-link NAS? Does it have something like Google's Drive and Photos? For casual user IMO this is the features that they want the most.
Additionally a NAS that can do redundancy and support for BTRFS is important for data integrity.
WaNaWe900
post Dec 25 2020, 11:33 PM

చąហ ąచҽ™
1,019 posts

Just curious to run 24/7 do we need 4TB HDD above ?
TSxxboxx
post Dec 26 2020, 02:38 AM

4,833 posts

QUOTE(WaNaWe900 @ Dec 25 2020, 11:33 PM)
Just curious to run 24/7 do we need 4TB HDD above ?
Any HDD sizes can be used for system running 24/7
WaNaWe900
post Dec 26 2020, 06:02 PM

చąហ ąచҽ™
1,019 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Dec 26 2020, 02:38 AM)
Any HDD sizes can be used for system running 24/7
Thinking of SHR or RAID-5 configuration, of course require at least 3 HDD but will it be less affective compare to RAID-1 when doing recovery later 👉👈
TSxxboxx
post Dec 27 2020, 09:31 AM

4,833 posts

QUOTE(WaNaWe900 @ Dec 26 2020, 06:02 PM)
Thinking of SHR or RAID-5 configuration, of course require at least 3 HDD but will it be less affective compare to RAID-1 when doing recovery later 👉👈
If use RAID-5, all the HDD need to be in same size. You can add bigger HDD but it can only utilize same space as the smallest size HDD in the pool. SHR would be the better choice if mixes sizes HDD as it can maxed out the utilization.

If recovery, RAID-5 need to constantly read from the remaining HDD to do the rebuild, it create more stress to the remaining HDD.
When you link multiple hard drives together to create a RAID-5 array, you create redundant data on the array in the form of XOR parity blocks. These parity blocks allow the array to reconstruct missing data if a single hard drive fails. By performing XOR computations on the remaining drives, the array seems to miraculously resurrect the data from the failed drive. And when you insert a new hard drive into the array and replace the old one, the array uses the same XOR computations to write the data onto the healthy drive.

But unfortunately, there is a risk associated with rebuilding the RAID-5 array. When a RAID-5 array runs minus one hard drive (in a degraded condition), its remaining drives endure much more stress than usual. And that stress only increases once the rebuild process begins and the server must work to both integrate the new drive and continue performing its duties. With the additional workload, a second hard drive in the array might fail during the rebuild, creating gaps and holes in the array and crashing the server.
https://www.gillware.com/raid-data-recovery...raid-5-rebuild/
RAID-1 when rebuild poses same risk as RAID-5 in that if another HDD failure it means all the data will be unrecoverable. That is why need to have multiple copies of backup for important data. 3-2-1 backup rule is always the recommended way. If your NAS data is always being use for read and write/amend, that is not backup, that is just your present data. You need to have at least another 2 backup, and one of the backup is stored in different place.
WaNaWe900
post Dec 28 2020, 12:29 AM

చąហ ąచҽ™
1,019 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Dec 27 2020, 09:31 AM)
If use RAID-5, all the HDD need to be in same size. You can add bigger HDD but it can only utilize same space as the smallest size HDD in the pool. SHR would be the better choice if mixes sizes HDD as it can maxed out the utilization.

If recovery, RAID-5 need to constantly read from the remaining HDD to do the rebuild, it create more stress to the remaining HDD.

RAID-1 when rebuild poses same risk as RAID-5 in that if another HDD failure it means all the data will be unrecoverable. That is why need to have multiple copies of backup for important data. 3-2-1 backup rule is always the recommended way. If your NAS data is always being use for read and write/amend, that is not backup, that is just your present data. You need to have at least another 2 backup, and one of the backup is stored in different place.
from my read that RAID-5 & SHR are similar... so all type of RAID does had risk then.. indeed the 3-2-1 rules the best 👍
Well maybe proceed with SHR for the maxed out utilisation then, thanks ✌
yanjinowa
post Jan 15 2021, 02:03 PM

On my way
562 posts

Nice write up, I have considering between DS920+ and TS-453D.
Just wonder, is this with 4GB of RAM?

also think if under normal scenario like photo viewing, video streaming and simple file viewing, does NVME cache helps.
TSxxboxx
post Jan 15 2021, 03:36 PM

4,833 posts

QUOTE(yanjinowa @ Jan 15 2021, 02:03 PM)

also think if under normal scenario like photo viewing, video streaming and simple file viewing, does NVME cache helps.
Thanks. It is with 4GB RAM. If normal usage without virtual machine is more than enough. If not enough still got a slot to add RAM.
I see TS-453D have 2.5Gb port, which is useful if your hardware support the faster speed. But I think software side Synology are more polished.

In theory, NVME cache should help if you have same files that you frequently access. If you always open the same files, it will be cached.
If you just open 1 time only to view then won't open it anymore, such as movie or series, then cache won't help. If you always streams same music file then it will help.
ktek
post Jan 15 2021, 05:56 PM

워터파크
All Stars
11,046 posts

QUOTE(yanjinowa @ Jan 15 2021, 02:03 PM)

a friend teach me install 1gb ram = 1 tb disk.
cache = possible hit or miss. no gurantee
TSxxboxx
post Jan 15 2021, 06:03 PM

4,833 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Jan 15 2021, 05:56 PM)
1gb ram = 1 tb disk is FreeNAS or ZFS rule.
Prebuilt NAS don't have such requirement.
yanjinowa
post Jan 18 2021, 12:08 PM

On my way
562 posts

wow, self-build NAS need condition of 1GB:1TB... good to know about it.
Looking at some online comment the Celeron J4125 processor only support max 8GB of RAM from official Intel spec. I am not sure how much RAM is needed as DSM maybe can utilize RAM efficiently just like iOS could.

Anyway, i have pulled trigger for DS920+, considering my network condition does not have 2.5GBe port and DSM is supposed to be easier to manage.

Any good way to export photo from Google Take Out with metadata?
I got it in JSON format and yet to find how to proceed.
TSxxboxx
post Jan 19 2021, 10:26 AM

4,833 posts

QUOTE(yanjinowa @ Jan 18 2021, 12:08 PM)
wow, self-build NAS need condition of 1GB:1TB... good to know about it.
Looking at some online comment the Celeron J4125 processor only support max 8GB of RAM from official Intel spec. I am not sure how much RAM is needed as DSM maybe can utilize RAM efficiently just like iOS could.

Anyway, i have pulled trigger for DS920+, considering my network condition does not have 2.5GBe port and DSM is supposed to be easier to manage.

Any good way to export photo from Google Take Out with metadata?
I got it in JSON format and yet to find how to proceed.
If not mistaken it's the way ZFS is. But I also read some have their system without 1:1, need to dig further about it.
Anyways I think self-build NAS only suitable for hobbyist/enthusiast or those that need a lot of bays/customization.
Simple self-build NAS components still cost 1 thousand plus, the difference with prebuilt is just few hundreds. If get second hand parts then maybe can lower it by few hundreds. Those that need more bays/customization will save a lot if go self-build, but general users won't need it, no matter how one think they should have more bays in their NAS. You need time and knowledge to setup everything, IT people especially with programming skills can cut short on the learning process but those without it will take long time to learn from basic to a lot more things. It might be more economical to pay extra for prebuilt so that no need spend time to get skills same as people with degree in IT.

J4125 specs is max 8GB RAM but a lot people have it running fine with a lot more RAM than that.

Didn't use Take Out so I not sure about that. But googling around I found this info
The ZIP folder also includes .json files with data (for example descriptions, locations) added in Google Photos. Google does not provide any tools to add them to the photos, but EXIFTool seems able to do it:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4202425...-google-takeout
http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/i...hp?topic=8154.0

https://sites.google.com/site/picasaresourc...kupped-pictures

yanjinowa
post Jan 20 2021, 02:28 PM

On my way
562 posts

Thanks xxboxx for advise.
I have tried Take Out which gives JSON and need some Exiftool to merge the metadata, which i will avoid unless no work around.

another software mentioned is SyncBackPro, which could successfully download Google Photo with metadata, however missing GPS.

Then i see some youtuber mentioned to create album is Google Photo in timeline manner, then use download all function, indeed this will give the photo+metadata+GPS. I used this method to download the data.

anyway, DS920+ arrived, and time to setup now.

This post has been edited by yanjinowa: Jan 20 2021, 02:29 PM
TSxxboxx
post Jan 20 2021, 04:04 PM

4,833 posts

QUOTE(yanjinowa @ Jan 20 2021, 02:28 PM)
Thanks xxboxx for advise.
I have tried Take Out which gives JSON and need some Exiftool to merge the metadata, which i will avoid unless no work around.

another software mentioned is SyncBackPro, which could successfully download Google Photo with metadata, however missing GPS.

Then i see some youtuber mentioned to create album is Google Photo in timeline manner, then use download all function, indeed this will give the photo+metadata+GPS. I used this method to download the data.

anyway, DS920+ arrived, and time to setup now.
Another thing I forgot to mention is about the RAM. 4GB is enough if not using something memory intensive such as running VM Win 10 or Linux. I got a lot of Synology apps installed and also running 2 dockers package and my RAM usage is less than 2GB.
yanjinowa
post Feb 8 2021, 10:16 PM

On my way
562 posts

OMG, my taman have power outage yesterday, which i have not bought a UPS. DS920+ start up with warning and improper shutdown.
I know it is my bad that i do not consider an UPS before, and lesson learnt.

While surveying UPS, there is a shared link in this thread, I have personally text the seller, which share that this model does not support Synology NAS for shutdown, and required Titan series from Right Power, which cost about 1k.

QUOTE(fireballs @ Nov 25 2020, 12:34 AM)
While I try to search around and found BX700U-MS to be working in Reddit. Any other recommedation?
Thank you.
TSxxboxx
post Feb 8 2021, 10:37 PM

4,833 posts

QUOTE(yanjinowa @ Feb 8 2021, 10:16 PM)
OMG, my taman have power outage yesterday, which i have not bought a UPS. DS920+ start up with warning and improper shutdown.
I know it is my bad that i do not consider an UPS before, and lesson learnt.

While surveying UPS, there is a shared link in this thread, I have personally text the seller, which share that this model does not support Synology NAS for shutdown, and required Titan series from Right Power, which cost about 1k.
While I try to search around and found BX700U-MS to be working in Reddit. Any other recommedation?
Thank you.
If you are not writing to the HDD when power outage, less likely any issue, so don't worry too much. Most crucial is your important data also have backup on other than inside the NAS.

Those UPS that have USB port supposed to be for connect to NAS/PC to configure shutdown.
fireballs
post Feb 8 2021, 11:13 PM

5,245 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Feb 8 2021, 10:37 PM)
If you are not writing to the HDD when power outage, less likely any issue, so don't worry too much. Most crucial is your important data also have backup on other than inside the NAS.

Those UPS that have USB port supposed to be for connect to NAS/PC to configure shutdown.
sked liao.. outage killed my buffalo nas and no way to recover. all data gone also.
TSxxboxx
post Feb 9 2021, 12:49 AM

4,833 posts

QUOTE(fireballs @ Feb 8 2021, 11:13 PM)
sked liao.. outage killed my buffalo nas and no way to recover. all data gone also.
True also. Mayne not write anything that time but the system is writing on the background.
That's why backup is a must.
Gaara92
post Feb 10 2021, 07:54 AM

Herald
586 posts

Wait, this 920+ already got 4GB RAM soldered onto it? My 918+ can use 2 slotted RAM, so I utilised is for 16GB ram with dual channel 8Gb each.
TSxxboxx
post Feb 10 2021, 12:27 PM

4,833 posts

QUOTE(Gaara92 @ Feb 10 2021, 07:54 AM)
Wait, this 920+ already got 4GB RAM soldered onto it? My 918+ can use 2 slotted RAM, so I utilised is for 16GB ram with dual channel 8Gb each.
Yup, it's soldered memory chips. Recent models they start taking this approach. Still have 1 slot for expandability.
xPrototype
post Mar 31 2021, 11:41 PM

Getting Started
273 posts

Like for backup photo purpose, do you think it's okay to turn on NAS only when you want to backup , then shut down for a period of time?

I heard this would hurt the hdd as nas hdd are meant for 24/7
TSxxboxx
post Apr 1 2021, 09:47 AM

4,833 posts

QUOTE(xPrototype @ Mar 31 2021, 11:41 PM)
Like for backup photo purpose, do you think it's okay to turn on NAS only when you want to backup , then shut down for a period of time?

I believe NAS HDD have same mechanism as normal HDD in starting and stopping the disc. So it's as bad as normal HDD that start and shut down. That said tho, I have read some people that say their NAS HDD died after 2 or 3 years because they shut down and start everyday. If you going to shut down and start everyday, might as well let it run 24/7. And if the system just going to run for short period of time to do backup, can get normal HDD instead.

I also have a NAS HDD that I use in NAS running 24/7 for 2 years then now move it to my PC that I shut down and start everyday, also 2 years. Still running fine. So I think really depends on individual situation. It might not be the daily shut down and start that kill the HDD but something else.
WaNaWe900
post Apr 1 2021, 03:35 PM

చąហ ąచҽ™
1,019 posts

QUOTE(xPrototype @ Mar 31 2021, 11:41 PM)

if like that better you get DAS (external HDD) type

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Apr 1 2021, 09:47 AM)
I believe NAS HDD have same mechanism as normal HDD in starting and stopping the disc. So it's as bad as normal HDD that start and shut down. That said tho, I have read some people that say their NAS HDD died after 2 or 3 years because they shut down and start everyday. If you going to shut down and start everyday, might as well let it run 24/7. And if the system just going to run for short period of time to do backup, can get normal HDD instead.

I also have a NAS HDD that I use in NAS running 24/7 for 2 years then now move it to my PC that I shut down and start everyday, also 2 years. Still running fine. So I think really depends on individual situation. It might not be the daily shut down and start that kill the HDD but something else.
Its so true when I read NAS = Setup & forget sweat.gif over 3 months now and I do forgot about it sometimes. Plan to do some cleaning over this weekend icon_rolleyes.gif
rx330
post Jan 10 2022, 10:11 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,141 posts

where do you send of repair if your Synology breaks down?
TSxxboxx
post Jan 10 2022, 07:26 PM

4,833 posts

QUOTE(rx330 @ Jan 10 2022, 10:11 AM)
where do you send of repair if your Synology breaks down?
Touch wood it doesn't. sweat.gif
Never thought about this, hopefully they have partners that does the service.
rx330
post Jan 11 2022, 09:36 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,141 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Jan 10 2022, 07:26 PM)
Touch wood it doesn't. sweat.gif
Never thought about this, hopefully they have partners that does the service.
jialat

mine broke down

blue light flashing

I think it was a 918+, bought during 2018
TSxxboxx
post Jan 12 2022, 10:24 PM

4,833 posts

QUOTE(rx330 @ Jan 11 2022, 09:36 AM)
jialat

mine broke down

blue light flashing

Bought from which company? Maybe ask them where to send for repair?
rx330
post Jan 14 2022, 09:37 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,141 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Jan 12 2022, 10:24 PM)
Bought from which company? Maybe ask them where to send for repair?
problem buy in SG, now stuck in MY bangwall.gif bangwall.gif
TSxxboxx
post Jan 14 2022, 03:33 PM

4,833 posts

QUOTE(rx330 @ Jan 14 2022, 09:37 AM)
problem buy in SG, now stuck in MY  bangwall.gif  bangwall.gif
Synology doesn't have office in Malaysia. The distributors here might not want to do since you not buy from them. Try contact Synology live chat and see how they can arrange for you.
https://www.synology.com/en-au/company/contact_us

Last time my phone spoilt while under warranty, the distributor that sell the phone doesn't want to repair since they going to stop being the brand distributor in few more months, don't know who the new distributor yet. I ask Singapore distributor since I also got go there but they doesn't want to do since not they sell. In the end I directly contact the brand and they arrange so that Singapore distributor to accept my phone for repair.
rx330
post Jan 14 2022, 03:39 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,141 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Jan 14 2022, 03:33 PM)
Synology doesn't have office in Malaysia. The distributors here might not want to do since you not buy from them. Try contact Synology live chat and see how they can arrange for you.
https://www.synology.com/en-au/company/contact_us

Last time my phone spoilt while under warranty, the distributor that sell the phone doesn't want to repair since they going to stop being the brand distributor in few more months, don't know who the new distributor yet. I ask Singapore distributor since I also got go there but they doesn't want to do since not they sell. In the end I directly contact the brand and they arrange so that Singapore distributor to accept my phone for repair.
tried live chat, I'm on my own it seems bangwall.gif bangwall.gif bangwall.gif
TSxxboxx
post Jan 14 2022, 03:44 PM

4,833 posts

QUOTE(rx330 @ Jan 14 2022, 03:39 PM)
tried live chat, I'm on my own it seems bangwall.gif  bangwall.gif  bangwall.gif
Not under warranty or no place to send for repair in Malaysia?
rx330
post Jan 14 2022, 03:50 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,141 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Jan 14 2022, 03:44 PM)
Not under warranty or no place to send for repair in Malaysia?
warranty gam gam habis hahaha

now trying to check where to send for repair
TSxxboxx
post Jan 14 2022, 03:55 PM

4,833 posts

QUOTE(rx330 @ Jan 14 2022, 03:50 PM)
warranty gam gam habis hahaha

now trying to check where to send for repair
Should have distributor that also doing the servicing. Most companies doing this way now.
ktek
post Jan 17 2022, 05:45 PM

워터파크
All Stars
11,046 posts

QUOTE(rx330 @ Jan 11 2022, 09:36 AM)
jialat
mine broke down
blue light flashing
unable boot? got press reset behinds or not
rx330
post Jan 18 2022, 09:30 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,141 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Jan 17 2022, 05:45 PM)
unable boot? got press reset behinds or not
how to press the reboot boss?
ktek
post Jan 18 2022, 10:09 AM

워터파크
All Stars
11,046 posts

QUOTE(rx330 @ Jan 18 2022, 09:30 AM)
how to press the reboot boss?
https://kb.synology.com/en-global/DSM/tutor..._Synology_NAS_7

ip address will gone. admin password gone
and etc etc

data intact becos i did before.
reset button at back section near fan near usb
rx330
post Jan 18 2022, 03:52 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,141 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Jan 18 2022, 10:09 AM)

and etc etc

thanks, let me test test
rx330
post Jan 20 2022, 09:39 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,141 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Jan 18 2022, 10:09 AM)

and etc etc

I tried resetting, removed all hard disk
can find the NAS

then it ask me to insert HDD

once I inserted, the whole NAS power down again

I try power up with HDD inserted, not workable at all bangwall.gif
ktek
post Jan 20 2022, 10:49 AM

워터파크
All Stars
11,046 posts

QUOTE(rx330 @ Jan 20 2022, 09:39 AM)
can find the NAS

I try power up with HDD inserted, not workable at all  bangwall.gif
big trouble like that :sos:
rx330
post Jan 20 2022, 12:09 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,141 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Jan 20 2022, 10:49 AM)
big trouble like that :sos:
ok boss, I think need professional help dy bangwall.gif bangwall.gif
TSxxboxx
post Jan 20 2022, 07:54 PM

4,833 posts

QUOTE(rx330 @ Jan 20 2022, 09:39 AM)
can find the NAS

I try power up with HDD inserted, not workable at all  bangwall.gif
https://kb.synology.com/en-global/DSM/tutor...hing_constantly

If follow this, sounds like your NAS motherboard is okay. Possible the HDD or power supply that have issue.
OC4/3
post Jan 21 2022, 03:56 AM

Group Icon
Elite
4,720 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Jan 15 2021, 05:56 PM)
IINM only apply if you want to use deduplication on ZFS
ECC ram is also recommended in that scenario

If not using deduplication can get away with less ram
rx330
post Jan 21 2022, 01:44 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,141 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Jan 20 2022, 07:54 PM)
https://kb.synology.com/en-global/DSM/tutor...hing_constantly

If follow this, sounds like your NAS motherboard is okay. Possible the HDD or power supply that have issue.
thanks for the link

this was the 1st support I read n tried

the only way I could see the NAS is with all drives removed, any drive plug in, the whole thing power cut off
Rightslash
post Mar 13 2022, 01:21 PM

31 posts

anyone tried any supported 8gb ram for the ds920+? seen on forums that there's a mix of crucial that work and not. Cant just randomly buy like them and return if not working/compatible 😂
TSxxboxx
post Mar 13 2022, 02:26 PM

4,833 posts

QUOTE(Rightslash @ Mar 13 2022, 01:21 PM)
anyone tried any supported 8gb ram for the ds920+? seen on forums that there's a mix of crucial that work and not. Cant just randomly buy like them and return if not working/compatible 😂
Some RAM seller also doesn't put the model number so it's harder to compare with people that have manage to use it with 3rd party RAM.
I guess checking if the RAM have same 1/2T, MHZ, timings, ranks, can help to get a compatible RAM.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0390sec    0.48    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th May 2022 - 10:34 AM