Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Need some suggestions on Quantity Surveying

views

TSje01 P
post Nov 21 2020, 08:08 PM, updated 6d ago

Probation
4 posts

Hello everyone, I am planning to study Bachelor of Quantity Surveying next year.
First of all, I am a art stream student. It is okay for me to study QS? (I do not have physics)
Will it be hard for me to study QS if without physics?

Since I was not from SMK, private universities are the only that I can apply for.
I was thinking about Taylor's, UCSI and others.

But I heard some bad reviews on UCSI management.

Can you guys give me some advice on this?

Thanks in advance!
cakoilembutgebu P
post Nov 21 2020, 08:49 PM

Probation
2 posts

What level of study r u currently in? A Level? O Level? UEC? SAM?
TSje01 P
post Nov 21 2020, 09:42 PM

Probation
4 posts

QUOTE(cakoilembutgebu @ Nov 21 2020, 08:49 PM)
What level of study r u currently in? A Level? O Level? UEC? SAM?
UEC
Just Visiting By
post Nov 21 2020, 09:42 PM

Regular
1,668 posts

QUOTE(je01 @ Nov 21 2020, 08:08 PM)
Hello everyone, I am planning to study Bachelor of Quantity Surveying next year.
First of all, I am a art stream student. It is okay for me to study QS? (I do not have physics)

Since I was not from SMK, private universities are the only that I can apply for.

Thanks in advance!
You do not need Physics knowledge for QS.

QS deals mainly with, well, mathematical calculations with heavy emphasis on cost. If you're working in a construction industry, you just need to be able to understand drawings and calculate the cost required for, say, the total tonnage of rebars on one level of slab. You don't need Physics knowledge to do that, as you're not involved in analytical processes.

You'll need to be very good in mathematics. Physics, I might think it could be helpful but most of the time I do not think it will be relevant.
TSje01 P
post Nov 21 2020, 09:47 PM

Probation
4 posts

QUOTE(Just Visiting By @ Nov 21 2020, 09:42 PM)
You do not need Physics knowledge for QS.

QS deals mainly with, well, mathematical calculations with heavy emphasis on cost. If you're working in a construction industry, you just need to be able to understand drawings and calculate the cost required for, say, the total tonnage of rebars on one level of slab. You don't need Physics knowledge to do that, as you're not involved in analytical processes.

You'll need to be very good in mathematics. Physics, I might think it could be helpful but most of the time I do not think it will be relevant.
Do you mean add maths?
Just Visiting By
post Nov 21 2020, 10:00 PM

Regular
1,668 posts

QUOTE(je01 @ Nov 21 2020, 09:47 PM)
Do you mean add maths?
I would say you need the skills that are required in solving maths, be it algebra, calculus or statistics.

But algebra and geometry would be very helpful and probably the most relevant.
iSean
post Nov 22 2020, 01:44 AM

iz old liao.
3,753 posts

QUOTE(je01 @ Nov 21 2020, 08:08 PM)

Thanks in advance!
blink.gif Take this with a grain of salt lah.
But I can share some light on some facts you need to know about UCSI pre Pandemic Life.

As a part of my uni ranting series. Hopefully UCSI Management won't got time to scroll Lowyat.

--> UCSI Facilities are quite old. Classroom very dimly light. Projector sometimes also very blurry.
Hope you get Whiteboard Classroom, because god forbids no idea why UCSI uses glass whiteboards in some of their classrooms.

--> Campus Cafeteria is just bad. If you want to makan, better walk far abit go to restaurants / McDonalds for your food la. If not learn how to drive.
Heard alot of campus cafeteria closed shop thanks to COVID. [Which might be a good thing consider food quality here suck and expensive, rather you go to FamilyMart to makan]

--> If you plan to drive, find a good place to park. DBKL Saman everywhere if you don't park in campus.

--> Continuous Slope Climbing. UCSI Campus is built on top of a hill. Won't recommend you come here, if you need to walk like atleast 3-5 times / day this slope from Starbucks to UCSI LeQuadri Hotel / Block E classroom.

--> UEC Qualification is accepted here as Foundation. But please do MUET before you come in. Unless you want to pay for Useless Basic English class lah.

--> Campus Students take their campus as their home, *Literally*. Most students don't have good hygiene here. Leave their food / drinks in classroom. Spilt drink die die won't clean one. Not sure all janitor staff is work on weekends or what one.

--> Student Confession Pages normally quite easily shut down, during my stay in this campus, the page been flagged down like atleast 3-5 times, new ones popped back out again. UCSI doesn't like students talk shit about the campus, just to conceal facts about UCSI Management is poorly managed. Should be surprised their "Staff Confession Page" still alive. So sendiri pandai pandai lah.
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

--> Terrible Classroom Layout / Equipment Placement.

user posted image
SABE Block G Classroom

user posted image
Open Air Block E, Level 4 Labs - Questionable table layout facing a giant pillar rclxub.gif

user posted image
Old Block E, Engineering Office.

user posted image
Big Auditorium, but small whiteboard. If your camera no x20 Zoom better sit in front row.

user posted image
Minor Nuisances - Glassboard Classrooms. Can see reflections from outside... Campus too poor to buy curtains...

This post has been edited by iSean: Nov 22 2020, 01:51 AM
PV boy P
post Nov 22 2020, 10:39 AM

Probation
44 posts

QUOTE(iSean @ Nov 22 2020, 01:44 AM)
blink.gif  Take this with a grain of salt lah.
But I can share some light on some facts you need to know about UCSI pre Pandemic Life.

As a part of my uni ranting series. Hopefully UCSI Management won't got time to scroll Lowyat.

--> UCSI Facilities are quite old. Classroom very dimly light. Projector sometimes also very blurry.
Hope you get Whiteboard Classroom, because god forbids no idea why UCSI uses glass whiteboards in some of their classrooms.

--> Campus Cafeteria is just bad. If you want to makan, better walk far abit go to restaurants / McDonalds for your food la. If not learn how to drive.
Heard alot of campus cafeteria closed shop thanks to COVID. [Which might be a good thing consider food quality here suck and expensive, rather you go to FamilyMart to makan]

--> If you plan to drive, find a good place to park. DBKL Saman everywhere if you don't park in campus.

--> Continuous Slope Climbing. UCSI Campus is built on top of a hill. Won't recommend you come here, if you need to walk like atleast 3-5 times / day this slope from Starbucks to UCSI LeQuadri Hotel / Block E classroom.

--> UEC Qualification is accepted here as Foundation. But please do MUET before you come in. Unless you want to pay for Useless Basic English class lah.

--> Campus Students take their campus as their home, *Literally*. Most students don't have good hygiene here. Leave their food / drinks in classroom. Spilt drink die die won't clean one. Not sure all janitor staff is work on weekends or what one.

--> Student Confession Pages normally quite easily shut down, during my stay in this campus, the page been flagged down like atleast 3-5 times, new ones popped back out again. UCSI doesn't like students talk shit about the campus, just to conceal facts about UCSI Management is poorly managed. Should be surprised their "Staff Confession Page" still alive. So sendiri pandai pandai lah.
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

--> Terrible Classroom Layout / Equipment Placement.

user posted image
SABE Block G Classroom

user posted image
Open Air Block E, Level 4 Labs - Questionable table layout facing a giant pillar  rclxub.gif

user posted image
Old Block E, Engineering Office.

user posted image
Big Auditorium, but small whiteboard. If your camera no x20 Zoom better sit in front row.

user posted image
Minor Nuisances - Glassboard Classrooms. Can see reflections from outside... Campus too poor to buy curtains...
Hahaha... I think that are common in other IPTS, UCSI may not be the worst. Haha...
iSean
post Nov 22 2020, 10:56 AM

iz old liao.
3,753 posts

QUOTE(PV boy @ Nov 22 2020, 10:39 AM)
Hahaha... I think that are common in other IPTS, UCSI may not be the worst. Haha...
sweat.gif Personally lah, I hate the classroom layout, you want view projector screen. Also break your neck. Because their classroom layout didn't account for projector suitability.

Also old campus edi, assuming 2000s until 2020 no upgrade facilities, table chairs you see there. Most of the table broke. Logistic no send people fix.

you want, also go to Taylor’s University / Heriot-Watt University Malaysia.
Else your luck will be better in UTAR, which I find their facilities are quite newer compared to UCSI.
[Since they shifted Campus in 2014/15 to Sg. Long]

If you assume campus will resume as normal this / next year. Highly won't lah.

Online Class looks like this:
- Lecturer forced to teach in uni using a blurry < 180 degree view camera.

If your lecturer don't write big big with 1 cm diameter on the board. I doubt y'all can read la.

user posted image
PV boy P
post Nov 22 2020, 08:28 PM

Probation
44 posts

QUOTE(iSean @ Nov 22 2020, 10:56 AM)
sweat.gif  Personally lah, I hate the classroom layout, you want view projector screen. Also break your neck. Because their classroom layout didn't account for projector suitability.

Also old campus edi, assuming 2000s until 2020 no upgrade facilities, table chairs you see there. Most of the table broke. Logistic no send people fix.

you want, also go to Taylor’s University / Heriot-Watt University Malaysia.
Else your luck will be better in UTAR, which I find their facilities are quite newer compared to UCSI.
[Since they shifted Campus in 2014/15 to Sg. Long]

If you assume campus will resume as normal this / next year. Highly won't lah.

Online Class looks like this:
- Lecturer forced to teach in uni using a blurry < 180 degree view camera.

If your lecturer don't write big big with 1 cm diameter on the board. I doubt y'all can read la.

user posted image
Wah... how to study like this leh...
iSean
post Nov 22 2020, 09:16 PM

iz old liao.
3,753 posts

QUOTE(PV boy @ Nov 22 2020, 08:28 PM)
Wah... how to study like this leh...
He scare on PC screen lo. Personally I like this type of lecture recording approach in teaching.
TSje01 P
post Nov 23 2020, 01:48 AM

Probation
4 posts

So which universities do you guys prefer Taylor, UCSI, INTI, or others such as UTAR TARUC?

cakoilembutgebu P
post Nov 23 2020, 03:16 AM

Probation
2 posts

Like what iSean said, you can checkout their facebook confessions page, that's where students of respective Uni's share their unadulterated stories, rantings and thoughts. From those postings, u can roughly assess their culture, language, mentalities, and whether the students there love/hate their universities. After that, u may judge for yourself which university lifestyle suits u best.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0174sec    0.69    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th November 2020 - 09:44 PM