Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

How to make Win Update Delivery Optimization work?, Help needed

views

TSSkylinestar
post Nov 8 2020, 10:52 AM, updated 3y ago

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

I have 2 computers. PC1 & PC2. Both of them are connected to the same router. Both are running Win10 20H2. Network profile is set as private on both of them. Metered connection off. Both running Win10 20H2. Everything else is at stock (didn't mess with services and group policies).

PC1 is powered every day. It receives daily Windows Update.

PC2 is powered only once a week.

Delivery Optimization is enabled with the option of downloading from PCs on my local network.

However, it seems PC2 is still downloading Windows Update from the internet instead. In Settings > Update > Update History > Quality Updates, I see it has downloaded and installed KB457931. KB4579311 is already installed successfully on PC1 2 weeks ago. Why is PC2 not grabbing KB4579311 from PC1?

What's going on here?

user posted image

icon_question.gif

This post has been edited by Skylinestar: Nov 8 2020, 11:03 AM
dcheah
post Dec 7 2020, 03:31 PM

OldSkool
1,233 posts

QUOTE(Skylinestar @ Nov 8 2020, 10:52 AM)
I have 2 computers. PC1 & PC2. Both of them are connected to the same router. Both are running Win10 20H2. Network profile is set as private on both of them. Metered connection off. Both running Win10 20H2. Everything else is at stock (didn't mess with services and group policies).

PC1 is powered every day. It receives daily Windows Update.

PC2 is powered only once a week.

Delivery Optimization is enabled with the option of downloading from PCs on my local network.

However, it seems PC2 is still downloading Windows Update from the internet instead. In Settings > Update > Update History > Quality Updates, I see it has downloaded and installed KB457931. KB4579311 is already installed successfully on PC1 2 weeks ago. Why is PC2 not grabbing KB4579311 from PC1?

What's going on here?

user posted image

icon_question.gif
If PC1 still have the downloaded Windows Update copy then PC2 will be able to download from PC1.

If PC1 no longer have that updates, then PC2 will download directly from Microsoft Update server.

If PC1 is in use, the upload speed to PC2 is usually slow.

If your router is busy with all the devices connecting to the internet, then the download at PC2 might looks like its downloading from Microsoft Update server.

TSSkylinestar
post Dec 7 2020, 04:22 PM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

QUOTE(dcheah @ Dec 7 2020, 03:31 PM)
If PC1 still have the downloaded Windows Update copy then PC2 will be able to download from PC1.

If PC1 no longer have that updates, then PC2 will download directly from Microsoft Update server.

If PC1 is in use, the upload speed to PC2 is usually slow.

If your router is busy with all the devices connecting to the internet, then the download at PC2 might looks like its downloading from Microsoft Update server.
U mean the update patches auto delete? What is the time frame?

It's not about fast or slow. I check the data usage for WU delivery optimization. 0% is used. That mean it was never used for update on PC2.

Router is not busy with anything. I track my internet data usage all the time. Hence I know the traffic usage.

Not sure if the version of Windows matter.
PC1 = edu edition. 20H2 64 bit.
PC2 = home edition. 20H2 64 bit.

In case you are wondering if both PC can ping to each other, yes, they can.

This post has been edited by Skylinestar: Dec 7 2020, 04:24 PM
AksBrillZ P
post Dec 9 2020, 06:46 PM

Probation
1 posts

Even i need the help
TSSkylinestar
post Dec 12 2020, 09:24 AM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

Saw this on superuser:
https://superuser.com/questions/1053019/win...working/1231301

Delivery Optimization presently will only use peer-to-peer sharing for larger updates like feature updates (new Windows 10 releases) and cumulative updates (also referred to as "quality updates" or "monthly patches" in the article).

I guess that explains it.
Surprisingly, my main PC is uploading files to the network today.

user posted image
jamescutt103 P
post Dec 14 2020, 11:38 PM

Probation
4 posts

Windows Update Delivery Optimization works by letting you get Windows updates and Microsoft Store apps from sources in addition to Microsoft, like other PCs on your local network, or PCs on the Internet that are downloading the same files. Delivery Optimization also sends updates and apps from your PC to other PCs on your local network or PCs on the Internet, based on your settings. Sharing this data between PCs helps reduce the Internet bandwidth that’s needed to keep more than one device up to date or can make downloads more successful if you have a limited or unreliable Internet connection.

When Windows downloads an update or app using Delivery Optimization, it will look for other PCs on your local network (or from the Internet, depending on your settings) that have already downloaded that update or app. Windows doesn’t download the entire file from one place. Instead, the download is broken down into smaller parts. Windows then gets parts of the update or app from the PCs that have it, and parts from Microsoft. Windows uses the fastest, most reliable download source for each part.

I hope this is helpful!
TSSkylinestar
post Mar 19 2021, 11:45 PM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

December was the last time WUDO worked. Why is it not working again? ranting.gif
I update the Calculator app from Microsoft Store on my PC1. PC2 have that Calculator app already updated earlier than this PC1. Delivery Optimization fails to work.
Windows Update Delivery Optimization download mode shows CdnOnly, which is 0, although I've set it to 1 in gpedit (which is the default on Win10 Edu edition).
user posted image

This post has been edited by Skylinestar: Mar 19 2021, 11:45 PM
PJng
post Mar 19 2021, 11:56 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,532 posts

As i know it work only windows update, not windows store apps update
You mention calculator which is apps.
I only have 1 pc, cannot test
TSSkylinestar
post Mar 20 2021, 12:42 AM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

QUOTE(PJng @ Mar 19 2021, 11:56 PM)
As i know it work only windows update, not windows store apps update
You mention calculator which is apps.
I only have 1 pc, cannot test
Here are my questions posted to microsoft subreddit and their admin replied to me:

Can this update KB5000802 (approx 500MB) be delivered via Delivery Optimization (PC#1 to PC#2 in my home network)? - Yes
Can Delivery Optimization work between PC with different types of Win10 (PC#1 on Home edition while PC#2 on Pro edition)? - Yes
What types of KB updates are excluded from Delivery Optimization? - There was no documentation stated of a certain KB updates being excluded.
Does Delivery Optimization includes apps from Microsoft Store? - Yes. Windows Update Delivery Optimization helps you get Windows updates and Microsoft Store apps more quickly and reliably.

Microsoft doc ref:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/de...ry-optimization
If you suspect this is the problem, try these steps:

1.    Start a download of an app that is larger than 50 MB from the Store (for example "Candy Crush Saga").
2.    Run Get-DeliveryOptimizationStatus from an elevated PowerShell window and observe the DownloadMode setting. For peering to work, DownloadMode should be 1, 2, or 3.    If DownloadMode is 99 it could indicate your device is unable to reach the Delivery Optimization cloud services. Ensure that the Delivery Optimization hostnames are allowed access: most importantly *.do.dsp.mp.microsoft.com.

UPDATE:
Chat with Microsoft tech team.

Q: Can WU DO work between Education edition (similar to Enterprise edition) and Home edition?
A: No we cant. there is difference on versions. Both versions wont be same.

Q: You mean WU DO cannot work between this 2 PC?
A: Yes right

Q: Can WU DO work between Home Edition and Pro Edition?
A: It will work

Q: Can WU DO work between Edu Edition and Pro Edition?
A: No

Q: What Windows version can work (Delivery Optimization) with Education edition?
A: Windows 10 Enterprise

doh.gif

This post has been edited by Skylinestar: Mar 20 2021, 12:09 PM
TSSkylinestar
post Oct 13 2021, 08:29 PM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

just to update. this WU DO logic (in post#9) still holds true as of today.
any idea about win11? can win11 edu edition "deliver" to win11 home edition? hmm.gif

This post has been edited by Skylinestar: Oct 13 2021, 08:30 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0122sec    0.45    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:12 PM