Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

What should i do?

views

TSyuunaa P
post Nov 2 2020, 04:38 PM, updated 4y ago

Probation
1 posts

Hello. biggrin.gif I'm currently in my sophomore year in university. I'm having a lot of hard time with my classes because of my anxiety. Sometimes i feel anxious for no particular reason, like feeling anxious for specific class for no reason, or even when in group discussion. Sometimes i feel like i regret doing this or that when the thing doesn't mean anything. And i'm also quite sensitive and often think negatively. Whenever someone started to raise their voice i will start feeling anxious. people say to open up with someone that you trust if you have any problem right? well, that's another problem for me. I'm having trust issues with almost everyone, even my family. I sometimes wanted to tell my mother about my problem, but i always have this thought "what if she just says that it's because i'm a coward" I'm tired of having thoughts like this. I'm tired of living with all these anxious feelings. Even wanting to post this here also got me feeling so anxious like hell. Looking at how my friends actively taking part in lots of activities in university while i'm still behind, didn't even moving an inch from the starting point i feel like my life is pretty useless. I'm afraid for my future. If i can't throw away my anxiety and negativity, i feel like i'll be stuck like this forever. Anyone experienced something like me? Do you think i can improve myself on my own? sweat.gif
people psych solutions
post Nov 3 2020, 12:08 AM

32 posts

Hi, Yuna. Allow me (a psychologist) to chip in:

Anxiety is a common issue that people face. It can be overwhelming and you may feel like you're helpless over what you're facing.

However, anxiety is actually useful for us. Anxiety helps to keep us safe. For example, you aren't open with others about your problems - because there is a real risk that the information will be used against you.

With the right tools, anxiety can be well managed. You'd want to learn how to differentiate when is a good time to be more guarded (e.g. when crossing a busy street), or when it can be a good time to be more open and relaxed (e.g. talking about your interests with a really good friend).

A skilled therapist will be able to assist with that. You may look up Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and how it can help you.

I note that you want to solve this on your own. Most people generally want to solve it on their own, until they can't. That's when they seek professional help. It doesn't have to reach that stage. In fact, the earlier you get help, the much easier it is for you to manage. I would've gone for therapy sooner if I knew how helpful it could've been!

Getting professional help isn't difficult, and isn't really scary. But I think for most people, it's the first time jitters that they have to first overcome. Considering that you're in uni, most unis offer free or very cheap services at their counseling department.

My suggestion: perhaps give it a go, and see if it helps? You might even enjoy it smile.gif

All the best!

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0131sec    0.37    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:19 AM