Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Can i Buy BMW G20 - 320i

views

Pepperboy
post Apr 2 2021, 08:58 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(V12Kompressor @ Apr 2 2021, 10:09 AM)
Yes, 320i now with iDrive 7.0 and updated Live Cockpit Plus
Are u sure bro? As far as I know its Operating System 6.0...
Pepperboy
post Apr 3 2021, 12:56 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(Jason @ Apr 3 2021, 01:58 AM)
Go test drive it, if you love it, buy it. That being said, since you are buying a BMW anyway, go all the way and get the 330i. Don't waste time with the 320i. If you can't stretch that far get the 330e. Ignore the idiots, make sure you get the 5 years warranty, not sure if current lineup they still give you 5 years free service.
Am wondering... does the battery in EVs cause a lot of headache? Eg. Breakdown, have to always service, range decrease over a couple of years... y those comments on Paultan keep discouraging ppl from geeting the PHEV version (besides the resale value factor)...

Pepperboy
post Apr 3 2021, 05:16 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(BigMan123 @ Apr 3 2021, 05:11 PM)
Mediterranean Blue is replaced by Phytonic Blue
What's the difference between those 2 blues? The Mediterranean really suited the 320i...
Pepperboy
post Apr 8 2021, 03:43 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

Also curious about run-flats (all BMWs now have 'em?)...

Are they really that fragile and prone to punctures than "regular" tyres?

Do we have to babysit run-flats?
Pepperboy
post Apr 17 2021, 04:55 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

Thanks for all your useful feedback guys! There's one more thing I'm kinda confused about: Apple CarPlay

Is there a trial period now? Or it's just disabled until u pay the one-off payment?

Is the payment only to enable "wireless" car play, or the whole Apple CarPlay system? Cos I read some articles saying payment is needed to enalble wireless Apple CarPlay (means wired Apple CarPlay is free?)
Pepperboy
post Apr 18 2021, 09:17 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(ratloverice @ Apr 17 2021, 11:27 PM)
i guess 330i is the only choice now lol unless i go for passat elegance.
Huge price difference between the Passat and the 330i... is the lack of ADAS on the Passat a deal breaker for u guys? Interior quality is on par and some reviews say even better than the 320i...

This post has been edited by Pepperboy: Apr 18 2021, 09:17 PM
Pepperboy
post Apr 18 2021, 10:59 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(Scissorshand @ Apr 18 2021, 10:38 PM)
There's a 330 G20 pre reg available in ACE exhibition in Setia, can't recall the price. You may call WheelCorp to find out.

The arteon looks sleek and refreshing though
What is the meaning of pre-reg? And doesn’t the 330i have a much harsher ride than the 330e and 320i?

One thing I would like to ask also: Hafriz of Paultan reviewed the 320i and said the speakers sound trashy... to what extent this is true?

Pepperboy
post Jun 8 2021, 11:07 AM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(RL5959 @ Jun 6 2021, 11:27 PM)
Family member and I bought the previous gen BMW 5 when it first came out, 7years ago, at the same time.

My car: 6 years, 120k km, regular 10k service, no issues at all but I could sense the car was about to give issues just before I sold it. Took care of it, didn't redline, hardly ever over 4-5k rpm. Parked under shade, rubber bits took 5 years to begin going sticky. I bought the replacement.

Other car: 5.5 years, 110k km, irregular 10-20km service, engine overhaul 3rd year and engine/tranny overhaul 5th year. Not really that cared for as much, revved a bit harder, occasionally parked in sun, rubber bits sticky after 3 years. This car was not replaced by another BMW.

Anecdotal experience yes, but if you do put some effort into taking care of it, it should serve well. Just remember that they're not really built for our heat and humidity, and it's best to not hold on to them after 6 years.
When u say you could sense the car was about to give issues, what do u mean specifically?

Parked under the shade approx. how many percent of the time?

Which rubber bit tend to go sticky?

Pepperboy
post Jun 9 2021, 12:25 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(RL5959 @ Jun 8 2021, 11:43 PM)
1) After 6 years and 120k km you kinda know the car. The sounds, the vibrations, the feel of things. So when I say sense, I mean that several bio-mechanical connections told me that something just wasn't right. It sounded a bit rougher, a bit of whine somewhere (hello gearbox), and the bum-carseat interface told me that was some odd vibrations also-engine mounts, prob. Steering wasn't as tight, usual wear and tear, and absorbers felt crashier. Not my first BMW rodeo - expected the upcoming engine/gearbox overhaul, replacement of shocks, mounts, bushings, pads, rotors etc... Incidentally, this all costs 60k for a M car, and having done that and not wanting to go through it with the daily driver, I decided to sell it off.

2) Parked under shade 95% of time, home and work. This one didn't have the headlining cave in, and the rubber bits got a bit sticky, but not full-on treacle.

3) Soft-touch bits like door handles and cupholder surrounds. Apparently new model cars have a better formula that resists melting better.
Thanks for the info! Really appreciate it.

So even when taken care of as meticulously as u did, a BMW would probably need an engine/gearbox overhaul at around 6 years / 100+k km...

Would it be unrealistic to expect to keep a BMW (3 series) for 10 years without undergoing a major overhaul? Is this BMW specific or does it affect most conti cars?

Pepperboy
post Jun 12 2021, 10:32 AM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(constant_weight @ Jun 11 2021, 11:26 PM)
BMW and most continentals adopted direct injection and turbo for many years + Malaysian basically can not walk and do a lot of short distance drive, that contributed to the problem. Otherwise the PCV would last 80,000km+. So knowing the principle, 90% of the case only need to change PCV. The old mechanic either think it is BMW design problem, or simply change engine gasket. There goes the urban myth BMW always leak oil. With the Japanese adopting more modern tech, the old dogs going to see more stuffs they don't understand. "Got sound change the part" approach no longer works

For the 3rd party modern specialized shops that have real knowledge and up to date with technology, usually famous within the region. They knows how to deal with modern cars, have reputation to keep and don't simply scam people.
Ah yes, another common statement I've seen is "driving short distances often is not good for ur BMW". May I know more specifically how short-distance driving contributes to the PCV issue?

So during this lockdown period daily drive go tapau food a few kilometres away is a no-no for the engine?

Pepperboy
post Jun 12 2021, 07:29 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

Thanks a lot for the very detailed explanation!!

With this information in hand, would I be able to offset daily short trips in the mornings to the workplace with a longer drive (say around 10km) during lunchtime to avoid this problem?
Pepperboy
post Jul 2 2021, 03:44 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

Looks like some itchy hands... they HAD to remove something - no more qi wireless charging...
Pepperboy
post Jul 2 2021, 04:28 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

That was my exact concern initially (digital key > wireless charging). After some digging at overseas forum, found out that NFC pad and wireless charging pad can exist exclusive of each other.

Meaning, if the car has comfort access package, it most likely will have digital key feature, if without wireless charging meaning it's just a NFC pad there with a different logo and LED indicator...

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0188sec    0.42    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:32 PM