Please keep your account's email current. http://lowy.at/chgEmail

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Can i Buy BMW G20 - 320i

views

TSsmurfs_89 P
post Oct 30 2020, 05:41 PM, updated 9 months ago

Probation
15 posts

Actually I thinking to upgrade my self to continental. Which is BMW is my dream car anyway. Especially the BMW 320i i love it so much.
But i checked with my few friends but most of them said, BMW means banyak masuk workshop. even new car. How la..!!!I checked in yourtube all gave only good review. If there is anyone G20 owners out there, kindly request to drop your advice..
dwRK
post Oct 30 2020, 06:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,241 posts

QUOTE(smurfs_89 @ Oct 30 2020, 05:41 PM)
Actually I thinking to upgrade my self to continental. Which is BMW is my dream car anyway. Especially the BMW 320i i love it so much.
But i checked with my few friends but most of them said, BMW means banyak masuk workshop. even new car. How la..!!!I checked in yourtube all gave only good review. If there is anyone G20 owners out there, kindly request to drop your advice..
none of your friends BMW owner right?... hahaha

I got friends only buys BMW... hahaha

anyways, got 5 yrs warranty, and obviously after that, spare parts are more expensive but comparable to lexus, harrier, VW, etc... also it's more complex design and have more parts that can fails...

This post has been edited by dwRK: Oct 30 2020, 07:33 PM
ctw88
post Oct 30 2020, 06:47 PM

Getting Started
98 posts

I dont have the G20, but I do own an F30. So far having run it for 5 years, nothing major has happened

Not sure about the B48 in G20, but in F30 occasionally there are owners complaining of coolant loss, mostly due to coolant tank cap, coolant hose or the water pump itself.

You have nothing to worry about anyway for the first 5 years as the service and repairs are covered under the 5 years warranty. It doesnt cover wear and tear items though like brake disc/pads, tires, wipers.

Just make sure you have a spare car in case you need to leave it at the workshop for whatever reason. They sold too many cars, but they dont have too much courtesy cars
6UE5T
post Oct 30 2020, 08:58 PM

Regular
1,485 posts

Banyak Masuk Workshop
Banyak Makan Wang
Bust My Wallet
However can Bring More Women? 😉

Joking only, buy la, 330i better, 320i tanggung.
StevenL
post Oct 30 2020, 10:09 PM

Enthusiast
732 posts

Spare parts originally especially has been cheaper the last few years for BMW and its quite close to Jap
19 Degree South
post Oct 30 2020, 10:23 PM

Enthusiast
872 posts

330I is the real deal!
romuluz777
post Oct 31 2020, 12:02 AM

On my way
521 posts

QUOTE(smurfs_89 @ Oct 30 2020, 06:41 PM)
The banyak masuk workshop joke is getting very stale.

jamespaul
post Oct 31 2020, 08:50 AM

Getting Started
211 posts

Beware that people will say, you need to make more than RM30k a month to afford one.

Haha

Enjoy that car, good car
SUScanuponly
post Oct 31 2020, 08:55 AM

45 posts

Got extra money just buy la.
twincharger07
post Oct 31 2020, 08:56 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,788 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Oct 30 2020, 08:58 PM)
Banyak Masuk Workshop
Banyak Makan Wang
Bust My Wallet
However can Bring More Women? 😉

Joking only, buy la, 330i better, 320i tanggung.
Actually the 320i quite well spec if you don't need the additional 70hp.
330i will be quite harsh with its M sport suspension, not the M adaptive suspension that they use in the F30 330i
IamAHuman
post Oct 31 2020, 09:13 AM

Getting Started
296 posts

Owned bimmer for 7 years. Nothing much to complain. There are some models which require more attention and there are some that are simply more sensitive than others.

Overall, it’s a great experience. You want a secure piece of mind, go for T or H. However, the ride won’t be satisfying as continentals.
SUSempstar
post Oct 31 2020, 09:20 AM

Getting Started
100 posts

netmatrix
post Oct 31 2020, 10:43 AM

The machine... it sees everything.
5,974 posts

They use plastic for engine parts that were previously made of metal. Yes it would perform as needed when its new. But it degrades progressively compared to metal. Means if the car was designed to "expire" in 5 years, problems will come up one after another.

Most people say Banyak Masuk Workshop. Yes it will if the car is old. If you buy it new, i doubt you would face with unreliability issue as soon as it was sold.

The only law and advise i could give you is, if you are skeptical about continental cars, do not buy it. If you doubt your ability to maintain it, don't buy it.

Everytime i see threads like this, i see a dumb ass using people to stroke their decision that eventually leads to stupid arguments. 🙄🙄
danielmckey
post Oct 31 2020, 10:47 AM

Enthusiast
872 posts

Plenty money okay. Not much money wasted your retirement money.
twincharger07
post Oct 31 2020, 10:51 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,788 posts

QUOTE(IamAHuman @ Oct 31 2020, 09:13 AM)
Owned bimmer for 7 years. Nothing much to complain. There are some models which require more attention and there are some that are simply more sensitive than others.

Overall, it’s a great experience. You want a secure piece of mind, go for T or H. However, the ride won’t be satisfying as continentals.
Only Toyota/Lexus (or maybe Perodua since it's using Toyota tech anyway)
Honda is not known to be as reliable.

I think what you meant is Handling not as satisfying. Yes, BMW is still the benchmark. Probably Mazda with GVC might come close.
Ride had improved a lot especially with Toyota/Lexus TNGA in the new Camry and ES250.

This post has been edited by twincharger07: Oct 31 2020, 11:01 AM
twincharger07
post Oct 31 2020, 11:17 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,788 posts

QUOTE(netmatrix @ Oct 31 2020, 10:43 AM)
They use plastic for engine parts that were previously made of metal. Yes it would perform as needed when its new. But it degrades progressively compared to metal. Means if the car was designed to "expire" in 5 years, problems will come up one after another.

Most people say Banyak Masuk Workshop. Yes it will if the car is old. If you buy it new, i doubt you would face with unreliability issue as soon as it was sold.

The only law and advise i could give you is, if you are skeptical about continental cars, do not buy it. If you doubt your ability to maintain it, don't buy it.

Everytime i see threads like this, i see a dumb ass using people to stroke their decision that eventually leads to stupid arguments. 🙄🙄
All in the name of European Emission Control, thus more plastics are used for weight saving because they try to include more stuff like safety and gadgets into the car, thus plastic is the obvious choice to include more stuff and keep the weight down. Also plastic is better for lower NVH.

It depends on luck when these components gonna fail.
Thus a proper maintenance routine and never try to be cheap are crucial to ensure your car last longer.. try to fix when you realize certain fault occur or weird noise before it becomes a bigger issue.

Check the engine bay once in a while for oil leak or water leak from the cooling system
razgriz_0087
post Oct 31 2020, 11:24 AM

Getting Started
63 posts

6 years F30 328i owner. 1st time owned a BMW. Minor repair only sensor 2 times replaced. If you not a racing driver, no issue i think. If you drive like crazy, even lambo straightaway destroyed. The price is for performance and comfort. Not for continuous high speed driving
budang
post Oct 31 2020, 12:26 PM

Enthusiast
890 posts

QUOTE(twincharger07 @ Oct 31 2020, 10:51 AM)

I think what you meant is Handling not as satisfying. Yes, BMW is still the benchmark. Probably Mazda with GVC might come close.
Ride had improved a lot especially with Toyota/Lexus TNGA in the new Camry and ES250.
Does GVC even improve the handling in Mazdas? As far as I know it only improves the ride comfort and doesn't contribute to any improvement in handling. It's like ESC which doesn't improve handling.
IamAHuman
post Oct 31 2020, 04:11 PM

Getting Started
296 posts

QUOTE(twincharger07 @ Oct 31 2020, 10:51 AM)

Do you own a bm?
6UE5T
post Oct 31 2020, 04:55 PM

Regular
1,485 posts

QUOTE(twincharger07 @ Oct 31 2020, 08:56 AM)
Actually the 320i quite well spec if you don't need the additional 70hp.
330i will be quite harsh with its M sport suspension, not the M adaptive suspension that they use in the F30 330i
Is the 320i already use adaptive suspension? Never really pay attention on it. I know the 330i misses the adaptive suspension, maybe wait later until it gets that.

This post has been edited by 6UE5T: Oct 31 2020, 04:55 PM
V12Kompressor
post Oct 31 2020, 04:59 PM

No carrots here
2,086 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Oct 31 2020, 04:55 PM)
Is the 320i already use adaptive suspension? Never really pay attention on it. I know the 330i misses the adaptive suspension, maybe wait later until it gets that.
nope. Only the 330e gets adaptive suspension for Malaysian market.
twincharger07
post Oct 31 2020, 10:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,788 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Oct 31 2020, 04:55 PM)
320i is just on normal one. Neither M sport suspension nor M adaptive suspension.
MoneyChaser
post Dec 7 2020, 01:03 PM

Casual
355 posts

QUOTE(IamAHuman @ Oct 31 2020, 09:13 AM)

Whats a T and H ?
SleeplessEyes
post Dec 7 2020, 02:46 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,949 posts

QUOTE(MoneyChaser @ Dec 7 2020, 01:03 PM)
Whats a T and H ?
Seriously dunno what is T and H ah?

This is H

user posted image

This is T

user posted image
hOnGhOnG
post Dec 7 2020, 03:55 PM

Getting Started
188 posts

I was also eyeing 320I but sadly no white color so I went for 330e. BM is my dream car too since young and now am a proud owner.

320I there's a few thing need to take note (those concern me anyway)
1) no adaptive suspension but it is comfort and no problem if you need more aggressive drive, corner at highspeed is stable
2) back seat is excellent at least the seat covers until your ankle area so your leg is not hanging, good for a family car.
3) 8.8 inch infotainment screen, analog cockpit (which i prefer, the digital one really need times to get used to)
4) the exhaust POPS hehe, nice pop sound if that's your thing.

thats all come into my mind atm. go achieve your dream.
IamAHuman
post Dec 7 2020, 04:26 PM

Getting Started
296 posts

QUOTE(MoneyChaser @ Dec 7 2020, 01:03 PM)
Whats a T and H ?
Toyota or Honda lo...
IamAHuman
post Dec 7 2020, 04:27 PM

Getting Started
296 posts

QUOTE(SleeplessEyes @ Dec 7 2020, 02:46 PM)
Seriously dunno what is T and H ah?

This is H

user posted image

This is T

user posted image
These are the high class of T and H. The high class H is not available here...
tpleong
post Dec 7 2020, 06:16 PM

Enthusiast
718 posts

QUOTE(hOnGhOnG @ Dec 7 2020, 03:55 PM)
I was also eyeing 320I but sadly no white color so I went for 330e. BM is my dream car too since young and now am a proud owner.

320I there's a few thing need to take note (those concern me anyway)
1) no adaptive suspension but it is comfort and no problem if you need more aggressive drive, corner at highspeed is stable
2) back seat is excellent at least the seat covers until your ankle area so your leg is not hanging, good for a family car.
3) 8.8 inch infotainment screen, analog cockpit (which i prefer, the digital one really need times to get used to)
4) the exhaust POPS hehe, nice pop sound if that's your thing.

thats all come into my mind atm. go achieve your dream.
I am now eying the 330e , hopefully can get it before the year ends . How's the car so far ?
SleeplessEyes
post Dec 7 2020, 08:39 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,949 posts

QUOTE(IamAHuman @ Dec 7 2020, 04:27 PM)
These are the high class of T and H. The high class H is not available here...
I was poking at MoneyChaser,
I think he is just trying to act noob / dumb , for someone who is looking for premium cars:
https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...post&p=97023786

And yeah I am aware there is no Acura.
MoneyChaser
post Dec 8 2020, 12:30 PM

Casual
355 posts

QUOTE(SleeplessEyes @ Dec 7 2020, 08:39 PM)
I was poking at MoneyChaser,
I think he is just trying to act noob / dumb , for someone who is looking for premium cars:
https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...post&p=97023786

And yeah I am aware there is no Acura.
bro dont la cucuk me , haha..

but yea lotsa year end sales for BMW , last call for Tax Rebates .

im still in a limbo , current a H driver , served me well for the last 10 years , hasnt failed me at all , just regular service at the SC and now the normal mechanics.

Thinking of making the switch to the conti league .. but yea options are plenty , considering the X1 , CHR , CX30 , but dont really know or come up with a sound judgement yet ..
hOnGhOnG
post Dec 8 2020, 01:35 PM

Getting Started
188 posts

QUOTE(tpleong @ Dec 7 2020, 06:16 PM)
I am now eying the 330e , hopefully can get it before the year ends . How's the car so far ?
pros:

1) Quiet (My wife said the quietness + music + the seat makes her feel like want to have a good sleep)

2) Electric - My workplace is not far from home, around 30 km round trip, battery can last around 50-60 km. Own the car for 1 month but haven't refill petrol yet. Estimate electric bill for charging the car, since it is a 12 kWh battery size, using TNB highest tariff 57.10sen/kWh, if charge from empty 0% to 100% everyday around RM7 per day RM210 per month? (not sure yet haven't receive my new TNB bill)

3) bigger 10.25 inches screen than 320i (8.8 inches). Android/Apple carplay using google map on that screen is a blast.

4) New digital instrument cluster... need time to get used to it, looks good but I still prefer analog.

5) Power - electric acceleration is powerful. (but i didn't push the car too far la.. just uncle normal drive watch scenery only)

6) Adaptive suspension, so you can go hard or comfort.

7) Comes with lane departure, blind spot monitoring, emergency braking, auto parking etc etc.. still lack if compare to top spec Japanese car, but good to have additional protection anyway. (Malaysian too cheap if later BMW Malaysia includes everything and price goes up people complains lagi)

8) cosmetic - internal led strip.. car handle led.. welcome light carpet... blue m-sport brake caliper.. (not important la just the looks)

9) back seat is comfort, support full length of your thigh.

10) wireless carplay/AA and wireless charger.

cons:

1) Tyre pressure monitor no numbers reading.. so only when puncture then it will notify you.. if got numbers reading then at least can see the pressure go down bit by bit (if not serious) so can go repair the tyre earlier.

2) no 360 cam yet in 2020, no adaptive cruise control in 2020. But yeah, we will complain price too steep if includes those. Top up RM20k can buy volvo with those features.

3) when you open drivers door, the car will shut down automatically, super inconvenient when you just want to grab something and your family still in the car. There is workaround for this which is to step on brake and accelerator to force the engine to run then only open the door but you won't like it.

4) exhaust doesn't sound nice like 320i or 330i pop pop pop. But hey it is an environmental friendly e-car right?

5) no central locking at passenger side or center of the car, wife's hand have to reach all the way to drivers door to lock all doors.

tpleong
post Dec 8 2020, 02:04 PM

Enthusiast
718 posts

QUOTE(hOnGhOnG @ Dec 8 2020, 01:35 PM)
pros:

1) Quiet (My wife said the quietness + music + the seat makes her feel like want to have a good sleep)

2) Electric - My workplace is not far from home, around 30 km round trip, battery can last around 50-60 km. Own the car for 1 month but haven't refill petrol yet. Estimate electric bill for charging the car, since it is a 12 kWh battery size, using TNB highest tariff 57.10sen/kWh, if charge from empty 0% to 100% everyday around RM7 per day RM210 per month? (not sure yet haven't receive my new TNB bill)

3) bigger 10.25 inches screen than 320i (8.8 inches). Android/Apple carplay using google map on that screen is a blast.

4) New digital instrument cluster... need time to get used to it, looks good but I still prefer analog.

5) Power - electric acceleration is powerful. (but i didn't push the car too far la.. just uncle normal drive watch scenery only)

7) Comes with lane departure, blind spot monitoring, emergency braking, auto parking etc etc.. still lack if compare to top spec Japanese car, but good to have additional protection anyway. (Malaysian too cheap if later BMW Malaysia includes everything and price goes up people complains lagi)

8) cosmetic - internal led strip.. car handle led.. welcome light carpet... blue m-sport brake caliper.. (not important la just the looks)

cons:

1) Tyre pressure monitor no numbers reading.. so only when puncture then it will notify you.. if got numbers reading then at least can see the pressure go down bit by bit (if not serious) so can go repair the tyre earlier.

2) no 360 cam yet in 2020, no adaptive cruise control in 2020. But yeah, we will complain price too steep if includes those. Top up RM20k can buy volvo with those features.

3) when you open drivers door, the car will shut down automatically, super inconvenient when you just want to grab something and your family still in the car. There is workaround for this which is to step on brake and accelerator to force the engine to run then only open the door but you won't like it.

4) exhaust doesn't sound nice like 320i or 330i pop pop pop. But hey it is an environmental friendly e-car right?

Exhaust sound can be adjusted via Idrive .....

5) no central locking at passenger side or center of the car, wife's hand have to reach all the way to drivers door to lock all doors.
Thanks for the lengthy reviews . By the way, may I ask what kind of discoun you are getting ? Thanks

This post has been edited by tpleong: Dec 8 2020, 02:25 PM
V12Kompressor
post Dec 8 2020, 02:52 PM

No carrots here
2,086 posts

QUOTE(MoneyChaser @ Dec 8 2020, 12:30 PM)

im still in a limbo , current a H driver , served me well for the last 10 years , hasnt failed me at all , just regular service at the SC and now the normal mechanics.

Thinking of making the switch to the conti league .. but yea options are plenty , considering the X1 , CHR , CX30 , but dont really know or come up with a sound judgement yet ..
which X1? if it's the 18i then I suggest to buy other cars in your list, those are better.
budang
post Dec 8 2020, 03:22 PM

Enthusiast
890 posts

QUOTE(hOnGhOnG @ Dec 8 2020, 01:35 PM)
pros:

cons:

If got budget, tyre pressure monitor with readings, 360 cam & adaptive cruise control can be retrofitted onto your car.

Can find Eurotuner on FB. I've done some aesthetics retrofitting there.

hOnGhOnG
post Dec 9 2020, 10:01 AM

Getting Started
188 posts

QUOTE(budang @ Dec 8 2020, 03:22 PM)
If got budget, tyre pressure monitor with readings, 360 cam & adaptive cruise control can be retrofitted onto your car.

Can find Eurotuner on FB. I've done some aesthetics retrofitting there.
Yeap... but... nanti BMW cakap void warranty. blush.gif
littlefire
post Dec 9 2020, 11:54 AM

Regular
1,074 posts

QUOTE(MoneyChaser @ Dec 8 2020, 01:30 PM)

Forget about X1 or CHR. These 2 model not worth.

If you die die like BMW SUV better upgrade to X3 or get pre-own which is also around 200k for 2~3 years car.
X3 is one of the best handling & value SUV in BMW line. Just google about X3 you will know why.

CX30 is a bit mix bag for me. The price is a bit high to justify why to not choose CX-5 which is better in everything at similar price point..

rachy
post Dec 10 2020, 09:28 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

QUOTE(tpleong @ Dec 8 2020, 02:04 PM)
Thanks for the lengthy reviews . By the way, may I ask what kind of discoun you are getting ? Thanks
May I know this too? Thanks!
SitiNorhaliza1970
post Dec 17 2020, 02:06 PM

23 posts

haha funny question la you ni..who can stop you from buying your dream car if you can afford it??
of course la unless you need to ask your parent to support sikit with the installment whistling.gif
it is a good car to own la personally speaking..in term of safety and comfort all ok..
anyway just share this with you la coz at FB BMW Malaysia..got this 10 days giveaways from driving the BMW i models to holidays etc..
BMW is in the Christmas spirits now..giving away to to their customer during this tough time..
everyone deserve a break for 2020..

This post has been edited by SitiNorhaliza1970: Dec 17 2020, 02:08 PM
FatinAminLoveYou P
post Dec 17 2020, 04:49 PM

Probation
4 posts

QUOTE(SitiNorhaliza1970 @ Dec 17 2020, 03:06 PM)
haha funny question la you ni..who can stop you from buying your dream car if you can afford it??
of course la unless you need to ask your parent to support sikit with the installment  whistling.gif
it is a good car to own la personally speaking..in term of safety and comfort all ok..
anyway just share this with you la coz at FB BMW Malaysia..got this 10 days giveaways from driving the BMW i models to holidays etc..
BMW is in the Christmas spirits now..giving away to to their customer during this tough time..
everyone deserve a break for 2020..
you are talking about this right..

https://www.facebook.com/BMW.Malaysia/posts/4174828632547289

someone shared it today..
kudos for BMW Malaysia to give back to people during this difficult time..
already LIKED their page to find out more on how to win haha..

let me share a statement from their ads..very deep and touching for me..

'A year filled with challenges, unpredictable, overwhelming..yet there will always be something to look forward to'..

so it may be a bad year but always remember that you are still healthy and you can make it a better next year..
TSsmurfs_89 P
post Apr 1 2021, 04:30 PM

Probation
15 posts

Finally I get brand new BMW 320i with idrive 7. thank you so much for all the positive comments
shaniandras2787
post Apr 1 2021, 06:46 PM

drugged coordinator
1,876 posts

QUOTE(budang @ Oct 31 2020, 12:26 PM)
Does GVC even improve the handling in Mazdas? As far as I know it only improves the ride comfort and doesn't contribute to any improvement in handling. It's like ESC which doesn't improve handling.
GVC, no. GVC+ perhaps.

GVC+ adds braking on the front wheels so when you turn into a corner, braking is applied onto the inside wheels and then it applies braking to the outer wheels when the car senses the steering is returning to the center.

this makes the car drives a little bit more direct/sharp, pointing the nose of the car more accurately in the direction which corresponds to the steering input. the effects of GVC+ can be felt/seen when driving in a round-about and you need not make small adjustments to the steering and the car will just cruise along around it.

to truly say that a car handles well, it depends on many parts/components (eg: suspension, chassis etc).

one of the main difference between ESC and GVC+ is that ESC kicks in only when the car senses a loss of traction on the tires (usually in an emergency) whereas GVC+ is constantly working in the background and doesn't only work when there's a loss of traction on the tires.

puffyballzzz
post Apr 1 2021, 07:14 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

One advise. Just buy it if you can afford it. And only buy new. I have owned several BMWs from E30 to G30 all new from Auto Bavaria. Only those who have never owned one or can only afford used BMWs are whiners of them being unreliable, expensive to repair, etc.

None of my BMWs have ever gotten into any major repairs. I buy and sell them after 3-4 years of ownership.

A EURO car will always be a EURO car. The driving experience will out perform any JDM car. That’s the fact.
electron
post Apr 1 2021, 10:28 PM

Regular
1,318 posts

QUOTE(smurfs_89 @ Apr 1 2021, 04:30 PM)
Finally I get brand new BMW 320i with idrive 7. thank you so much for all the positive comments
320i with i-drive 7?
Did they update the spec kit?
They did that on the pre-facelift 5 series
littlefire
post Apr 2 2021, 08:49 AM

Regular
1,074 posts

QUOTE(shaniandras2787 @ Apr 1 2021, 07:46 PM)
GVC, no. GVC+ perhaps.

GVC+ adds braking on the front wheels so when you turn into a corner, braking is applied onto the inside wheels and then it applies braking to the outer wheels when the car senses the steering is returning to the center.

this makes the car drives a little bit more direct/sharp, pointing the nose of the car more accurately in the direction which corresponds to the steering input. the effects of GVC+ can be felt/seen when driving in a round-about and you need not make small adjustments to the steering and the car will just cruise along around it.

to truly say that a car handles well, it depends on many parts/components (eg: suspension, chassis etc).

one of the main difference between ESC and GVC+ is that ESC kicks in only when the car senses a loss of traction on the tires (usually in an emergency) whereas GVC+ is constantly working in the background and doesn't only work when there's a loss of traction on the tires.
Simplify the technology name is also knew as electronic torque vectoring... icon_idea.gif
It is Mazda own version of torque vectoring to improve cornering ability without the expense of driver comfort;
Using steering control & braking system to help improve Mazda is going for more & more electronic assistance, compare to traditional torque vectoring which is more towards mechanical.

This post has been edited by littlefire: Apr 2 2021, 08:50 AM
V12Kompressor
post Apr 2 2021, 10:09 AM

No carrots here
2,086 posts

QUOTE(electron @ Apr 1 2021, 10:28 PM)
320i with i-drive 7?
Did they update the spec kit?
They did that on the pre-facelift 5 series
Yes, 320i now with iDrive 7.0 and updated Live Cockpit Plus

This post has been edited by V12Kompressor: Apr 2 2021, 10:09 AM
Pepperboy
post Apr 2 2021, 08:58 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(V12Kompressor @ Apr 2 2021, 10:09 AM)
Are u sure bro? As far as I know its Operating System 6.0...
V12Kompressor
post Apr 3 2021, 12:19 AM

No carrots here
2,086 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Apr 2 2021, 08:58 PM)
Are u sure bro? As far as I know its Operating System 6.0...
go check it out at BMW showrooms.

Oh, and sunset orange has been dropped for 2021 too.
Jason
post Apr 3 2021, 01:58 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,584 posts

Hi TS. It is your money so don't let us decide for you.

YOLO. In this unfortunate pandemic, you might have contracted COVID, GG and bye bye from this world.

The question you need to ask yourself is, do you want to spend your hard earned money on this? And what other commitments you have.

Buying a BMW isn't really buying a car, it is a luxury compact car after all. You are paying for the luxury. If you wanted "just" a car. Buy an Axia and it can bring you from point A to point B just like the BMW.

I can tell you that it is definitely not worth it from an objective point of view, cause the moment you buy it, it depreciates immediately. 3 years, the depreciation is sufficient to buy a brand new Myvi.

Go test drive it, if you love it, buy it. That being said, since you are buying a BMW anyway, go all the way and get the 330i. Don't waste time with the 320i. If you can't stretch that far get the 330e. Ignore the idiots, make sure you get the 5 years warranty, not sure if current lineup they still give you 5 years free service.
HalseyFrangipane
post Apr 3 2021, 03:26 AM

Casual
366 posts

QUOTE(Jason @ Apr 3 2021, 01:58 AM)
Hi TS. It is your money so don't let us decide for you.

YOLO. In this unfortunate pandemic, you might have contracted COVID, GG and bye bye from this world.

The question you need to ask yourself is, do you want to spend your hard earned money on this? And what other commitments you have.

Buying a BMW isn't really buying a car, it is a luxury compact car after all. You are paying for the luxury. If you wanted "just" a car. Buy an Axia and it can bring you from point A to point B just like the BMW.

I can tell you that it is definitely not worth it from an objective point of view, cause the moment you buy it, it depreciates immediately. 3 years, the depreciation is sufficient to buy a brand new Myvi.

Go test drive it, if you love it, buy it. That being said, since you are buying a BMW anyway, go all the way and get the 330i. Don't waste time with the 320i. If you can't stretch that far get the 330e. Ignore the idiots, make sure you get the 5 years warranty, not sure if current lineup they still give you 5 years free service.
TS, like what this guy said.

If you really love BMWs, you can also consider getting a much older model where prices have depreciated a lot, and put money into changing all the wear and tear items, old parts that are due for a change, and restore the interior/exterior. You get a fun, functioning bimmer which has already been fixed by yourself, so you know what's already been done to the car, and the total cost would be much lower than retail price as others have already took the hit of depreciation for you.
kwk_1995
post Apr 3 2021, 12:12 PM

Getting Started
197 posts

Depreciation kills you...... After transfer name ur car value str8 drop 40%......
SUSfreeman1
post Apr 3 2021, 12:17 PM

On my way
525 posts

Buy and regret later... that's life...
Pepperboy
post Apr 3 2021, 12:56 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(Jason @ Apr 3 2021, 01:58 AM)
Am wondering... does the battery in EVs cause a lot of headache? Eg. Breakdown, have to always service, range decrease over a couple of years... y those comments on Paultan keep discouraging ppl from geeting the PHEV version (besides the resale value factor)...

Jason
post Apr 3 2021, 02:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,584 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Apr 3 2021, 12:56 PM)
Am wondering... does the battery in EVs cause a lot of headache? Eg. Breakdown, have to always service, range decrease over a couple of years... y those comments on Paultan keep discouraging ppl from geeting the PHEV version (besides the resale value factor)...
The battery that always koyak is the auxiliary battery. That is not the hybrid battery. This battery is covered under warranty and is a plug and play affair. It’s same as changing a car battery.

The hybrid battery will lose its capacity over time, just like our hand phones, but it is not as bad because unlike our hand phone, BMW designed the AC to be able to cool the battery. The thing that kills lithium ion battery is heat. So that is mitigated. The wear and tear is normal. But you can get 8 years warranty for the battery from BMW.

PHEV and hybrid suffer in resale value due to perception, which is based on the A6 hybrid which is terrible, the Mercedes with its single battery design which costs a bomb to replace (BMW use modular packs so you change only the faulty module).

My personal advice if you want your cake and eat it too, get a 2018 BMW 330e, which is still under warranty and free service until 2023, and if it has the extended warranty for the battery its covered until 2026. The prices for it is a crazy steal due to the fear mongering and perception. And the first owner already took the hit. Be sure to get the M Sport model. It is fully spec and the HUD is very convenient.
BigMan123
post Apr 3 2021, 02:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,131 posts

Confirm for 2021 production onwards
BigMan123
post Apr 3 2021, 05:11 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,131 posts

And sunset orange has been dropped due to low demand.

Mediterranean Blue is replaced by Phytonic Blue
Pepperboy
post Apr 3 2021, 05:16 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(BigMan123 @ Apr 3 2021, 05:11 PM)
Mediterranean Blue is replaced by Phytonic Blue
What's the difference between those 2 blues? The Mediterranean really suited the 320i...
BigMan123
post Apr 3 2021, 08:14 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,131 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Apr 3 2021, 05:16 PM)
What's the difference between those 2 blues? The Mediterranean really suited the 320i...
The x3 m sport and the new 5 series facelift advertisements are phytonic blue
archonixm
post Apr 3 2021, 11:32 PM

Enthusiast
771 posts

BMW M4? Anyone buying lol
nabelon
post Apr 4 2021, 09:38 AM

My Fight, My Freedom, My Desire
1,711 posts

Nice ta getting a 320i. Ibtest drove one but did not like the floaty comfy feel and the slush box gb but maybe thats me. 218i felt more engaging albeit with less power.

Well in my mind is also a cla45 with the same price but no factory warranty. Maybe will test again the 330i.

Anyways happy driving.
Pepperboy
post Apr 8 2021, 03:43 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

Also curious about run-flats (all BMWs now have 'em?)...

Are they really that fragile and prone to punctures than "regular" tyres?

Do we have to babysit run-flats?
BlackWoods
post Apr 8 2021, 05:11 PM

Dark Knight
2,151 posts

If you buy using logic, you would not be looking at BMW.
BMW is always an emotional purchase, so go with your feeling.

I've test driven both G20 330i and 320i few times.
Don't test the 330i if your budget can't stretch, you will feel 'potong stim' if you switch back to 320i.

When you step on the pedal 330i would give you that omph feel, unfortunately 320i don't.

Like many said, if you said you 'love' 320i, then just go with it.

Banyak Masuk Workshop nevermind, if the car gives you more motivation to work harder and earn more money, then it's worth it.
electron
post Apr 9 2021, 01:04 PM

Regular
1,318 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Apr 8 2021, 03:43 PM)

Fragile or prone to punture? No difference compared to normal tyres.
The complains are mainly on the harshness since the sidewall is has a structure to hold up after pressure loss, hence less flexible compared to standard tyres.
Thie contributes to harder ride and higher noise transmission.
They are also heavier, and of course, more expensive.

For joke, the Bridgestone is "fondly" referred to as "BrickStone"

Having said that, the runflat has improved a lot

ctw88
post Apr 9 2021, 02:57 PM

Getting Started
98 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Apr 8 2021, 03:43 PM)

Yes all new bmw's comes standard with run flats.

My personal experience with different brand of run flats

Bridgestone S001, poor grip in wet, wear out very fast. Regular driving it lasts 25k km only shakehead.gif

Pirelli Cinturato P7, decent grip in wet, wear rate is ok, but very prone to get bulges on the contact surface if you go over potholes. Once there's a bulge, you get uneven wear and it wears out very fast. 2 of my 4 tires get this problem

In the end changed all to michelin PS4. Even with 50k miles the tires still in good shape but it's getting noisy though
driftmeister
post Apr 10 2021, 08:41 PM

Penggadai Rakyat®
4,105 posts

Bro can u show how the updated meter cluster look like? The showroom that I went to only have the 2020 units with outdated cluster
V12Kompressor
post Apr 10 2021, 09:29 PM

No carrots here
2,086 posts

QUOTE(driftmeister @ Apr 10 2021, 08:41 PM)
Bro can u show how the updated meter cluster look like? The showroom that I went to only have the 2020 units with outdated cluster
user posted image

Almost Similar like 218i meters
romuluz777
post Apr 11 2021, 09:15 AM

On my way
521 posts

QUOTE(smurfs_89 @ Oct 30 2020, 06:41 PM)
Your frens say so just because they cannot afford a BMW, jealous sour grapes la😂
electron
post Apr 11 2021, 03:54 PM

Regular
1,318 posts

QUOTE(ctw88 @ Apr 9 2021, 02:57 PM)
Yes all new bmw's comes standard with run flats.

My personal experience with different brand of run flats

Bridgestone S001, poor grip in wet, wear out very fast. Regular driving it lasts 25k km only shakehead.gif

Pirelli Cinturato P7, decent grip in wet, wear rate is ok, but very prone to get bulges on the contact surface if you go over potholes. Once there's a bulge, you get uneven wear and it wears out very fast. 2 of my 4 tires get this problem

In the end changed all to michelin PS4. Even with 50k miles the tires still in good shape but it's getting noisy though
The G20 320 now comes fitted with Hankook.
Bulging on the contact surface? Is it delamination on the contact surface?

Speaking of tyre wear, the Bridgestone Alenza on the X3 can barely get pass 20k km under normal mixed city/highway use.
And that's with AWD where the traction is spread across all wheels.
BigMan123
post Apr 11 2021, 09:32 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,131 posts

Phytonic Blue…good color?
electron
post Apr 12 2021, 01:24 PM

Regular
1,318 posts

QUOTE(BigMan123 @ Apr 11 2021, 09:32 PM)
Phytonic Blue…good color?
Looks good on the X3, should be good on the 3 series too
ctw88
post Apr 12 2021, 01:41 PM

Getting Started
98 posts

QUOTE(electron @ Apr 11 2021, 03:54 PM)
The G20 320 now comes fitted with Hankook.
Bulging on the contact surface? Is it delamination on the contact surface?

Speaking of tyre wear, the Bridgestone Alenza on the X3 can barely get pass 20k km under normal mixed city/highway use.
And that's with AWD where the traction is spread across all wheels.
Not delamination, but the surface becomes uneven. You can feel it with your palm, feels like the wire mesh inside is out of shape. Usually bulges happens on the side wall, but on this tire it happens on the contact surface
V12Kompressor
post Apr 12 2021, 02:48 PM

No carrots here
2,086 posts

QUOTE(ctw88 @ Apr 12 2021, 01:41 PM)
Not delamination, but the surface becomes uneven. You can feel it with your palm, feels like the wire mesh inside is out of shape. Usually bulges happens on the side wall, but on this tire it happens on the contact surface
This sounds like flat-spot, a condition that will happen when the car is parked at the same spot for far too long.

This post has been edited by V12Kompressor: Apr 12 2021, 02:48 PM
ctw88
post Apr 12 2021, 02:57 PM

Getting Started
98 posts

QUOTE(V12Kompressor @ Apr 12 2021, 02:48 PM)
This sounds like flat-spot, a condition that will happen when the car is parked at the same spot for far too long.
My car is daily driven, but over quite a lot of pot holes thanks to our superb roads.

Not sure if it's related to batch quality issue, because both problematic tires are made in 2016 on the same week
ratloverice
post Apr 12 2021, 07:09 PM

Enthusiast
784 posts

Heard it from some salesmen that 330i is out of stock now. Have to wait for 2-3 months for delivery.

Does anybody know any SC that has a 2021 330i for test drive?
jonlee
post Apr 12 2021, 07:33 PM

Getting Started
136 posts

QUOTE(ratloverice @ Apr 12 2021, 07:09 PM)
Heard it from some salesmen that 330i is out of stock now. Have to wait for 2-3 months for delivery.

Not only the 330i, I booked the 330e in Nov 20 and until now still no stock 😂
ratloverice
post Apr 12 2021, 08:01 PM

Enthusiast
784 posts

QUOTE(jonlee @ Apr 12 2021, 07:33 PM)
Demmmm. I was waiting for new C class which is estimated to be launched here at the end of this year, but the SA said that it will very likely be CBU. RM310k for c200 and RM350k for c300. So I decided to go for 330i... manatau no stock pulak...
electron
post Apr 14 2021, 10:36 AM

Regular
1,318 posts

Back in late February, most, if not all, the 3 series were sold out with new allocation only expected from April (basically, the waiting period was already approaching 2 months back in February).
You don't really need to test the 2021 330i to get a feel. From driving dynamics, there should be very very small, if any, difference compared to 2020 model.
the 320i does get the ID7 update but the 330i is already using ID7 since launch.
Try calling up the dealers, hope they haven't sell off their demo units.
You can also try those with premium selection and ask if they have any 330i for test drive.

Pepperboy
post Apr 17 2021, 04:55 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

Thanks for all your useful feedback guys! There's one more thing I'm kinda confused about: Apple CarPlay

Is there a trial period now? Or it's just disabled until u pay the one-off payment?

Is the payment only to enable "wireless" car play, or the whole Apple CarPlay system? Cos I read some articles saying payment is needed to enalble wireless Apple CarPlay (means wired Apple CarPlay is free?)
Xccess
post Apr 17 2021, 08:01 PM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,557 posts

QUOTE(ratloverice @ Apr 12 2021, 08:01 PM)
Demmmm. I was waiting for new C class which is estimated to be launched here at the end of this year, but the SA said that it will very likely be CBU. RM310k for c200 and RM350k for c300. So I decided to go for 330i... manatau no stock pulak...
Tested the 330i then followed by Volvo S60. I'll go with S60, if they come with foldable rear seats which I constantly will utilize.The interior, tech and comfort are on another level as compared to 330i.

The upcoming C class looks really good but since I had a GLA250 and now driving the GLC300 coupe, may wanna give Volvo a try.

This post has been edited by Xccess: Apr 17 2021, 08:04 PM
ratloverice
post Apr 17 2021, 11:27 PM

Enthusiast
784 posts

QUOTE(Xccess @ Apr 17 2021, 08:01 PM)
Tested the 330i then followed by Volvo S60. I'll go with S60, if they come with foldable rear seats which I constantly will utilize.The interior, tech and comfort are on another level as compared to 330i.

The upcoming C class looks really good but since I had a GLA250 and now driving the GLC300 coupe, may wanna give Volvo a try.
i was very interested in s60 until they started the 180km/h top speed thingy. New c class looks good, but i am not willing to spend 350k on a cbu c300... as for suv like gla250 glc300 x3 xc60, they are not really to my liking. Still prefer sedan over suv. Es250 is pretty nice but too bad the performance is not really decent... i guess 330i is the only choice now lol unless i go for passat elegance.
mffa
post Apr 18 2021, 09:07 AM

Casual
374 posts

QUOTE(ratloverice @ Apr 17 2021, 11:27 PM)
i was very interested in s60 until they started the 180km/h top speed thingy. New c class looks good, but i am not willing to spend 350k on a cbu c300...  as for suv like gla250 glc300 x3 xc60, they are not really to my liking. Still prefer sedan over suv. Es250 is pretty nice but too bad the performance is not really decent... i guess 330i is the only choice now lol unless i go for passat elegance.
Can remove lor the limit. And if u do full throttle, I think cars like 330i need to speed up to 230kmh to catch up ur 180kmh speed. Once u full throttle. Quite far left behind car.
Xccess
post Apr 18 2021, 11:49 AM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,557 posts

QUOTE(mffa @ Apr 18 2021, 09:07 AM)
Can remove lor the limit. And if u do full throttle, I think cars like 330i need to speed up to 230kmh to catch up ur 180kmh speed. Once u full throttle. Quite far left behind car.
Frankly speaking, so far in my driving experience, never exceeded 160 km/h thus the limit of 180 km/h is not an issue for me.
Pepperboy
post Apr 18 2021, 09:17 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(ratloverice @ Apr 17 2021, 11:27 PM)
i guess 330i is the only choice now lol unless i go for passat elegance.
Huge price difference between the Passat and the 330i... is the lack of ADAS on the Passat a deal breaker for u guys? Interior quality is on par and some reviews say even better than the 320i...

This post has been edited by Pepperboy: Apr 18 2021, 09:17 PM
ratloverice
post Apr 18 2021, 09:32 PM

Enthusiast
784 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Apr 18 2021, 09:17 PM)
Huge price difference between the Passat and the 330i... is the lack of ADAS on the Passat a deal breaker for u guys? Interior quality is on par and some reviews say even better than the 320i...
Cuz im just going for sedan.

Accord - Don't like it
Camry - Don't like it
s60 - Speed limit
es250 - Acceleration a little too slow for me
w205 c300 - Like it quite well, but i am concerned about the fact it is an outgoing model
w206 c300 - RM350k for a c300 is too overpriced and it is over my budget already
g20 330i - Like it quite well, but the long waiting period is a turn-off
Passat - I personally like passat HL more than passat elegance. The interior quality seems to have deteriorated in elegance. The lack of ADAS is also kinda disappointing.
New 508 - My 208 puretech has been giving me some minor issues recently. Don't wanna take the risk again.

Scissorshand
post Apr 18 2021, 10:38 PM

Regular
1,335 posts

QUOTE(ratloverice @ Apr 18 2021, 09:32 PM)

Accord - Don't like it
Camry - Don't like it
s60 - Speed limit
w205 c300 - Like it quite well, but i am concerned about the fact it is an outgoing model
w206 c300 - RM350k for a c300 is too overpriced and it is over my budget already
Passat - I personally like passat HL more than passat elegance. The interior quality seems to have deteriorated in elegance. The lack of ADAS is also kinda disappointing.
New 508 - My 208 puretech has been giving me some minor issues recently. Don't wanna take the risk again.
There's a 330 G20 pre reg available in ACE exhibition in Setia, can't recall the price. You may call WheelCorp to find out.

The arteon looks sleek and refreshing though
Pepperboy
post Apr 18 2021, 10:59 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(Scissorshand @ Apr 18 2021, 10:38 PM)
There's a 330 G20 pre reg available in ACE exhibition in Setia, can't recall the price. You may call WheelCorp to find out.

What is the meaning of pre-reg? And doesn’t the 330i have a much harsher ride than the 330e and 320i?

One thing I would like to ask also: Hafriz of Paultan reviewed the 320i and said the speakers sound trashy... to what extent this is true?

Scissorshand
post Apr 18 2021, 11:06 PM

Regular
1,335 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Apr 18 2021, 10:59 PM)
What is the meaning of pre-reg? And doesn’t the 330i have a much harsher ride than the 330e and 320i?

One thing I would like to ask also: Hafriz of Paultan reviewed the 320i and said the speakers sound trashy... to what extent this is true?
Of course the comparison of sound system in 320 is lousy as opposed to his own ride which comes with B&O. But his B&O would be lousy if compared to incoming Lexus IS300 1800w Mark Levinson.. It'll never end if compare this way

Pre reg means the car was registered under the company for various reasons ie test car, mgmnt car etc. Usually very low mileage and still with complete warranty
romuluz777
post Apr 18 2021, 11:25 PM

On my way
521 posts

QUOTE(Scissorshand @ Apr 18 2021, 11:38 PM)

The 330i is in blue and IIRC price was about 273K
V12Kompressor
post Apr 19 2021, 07:24 AM

No carrots here
2,086 posts

QUOTE(ratloverice @ Apr 18 2021, 09:32 PM)

Accord - Don't like it
Camry - Don't like it
s60 - Speed limit
How long is the wait period now that puts you off?
ratloverice
post Apr 19 2021, 01:29 PM

Enthusiast
784 posts

QUOTE(V12Kompressor @ Apr 19 2021, 07:24 AM)
How long is the wait period now that puts you off?
SAs say 2-3 months, and it is not guaranteed. Some people in the g20 fb group have been waiting for more than 4 months already.
clature
post Apr 19 2021, 03:56 PM

14 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Apr 18 2021, 09:17 PM)
I've checked out both the Passat and G20 before. The interior of the Passat seems pretty plasticky and bland if you ask me. The G20 interior, while not as luxurious as it should be for a car carrying the BMW brand, still has a certain charm to it

Oh well, to each his own I guess

jaycee1
post Apr 19 2021, 04:03 PM

AFK
2,312 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Apr 18 2021, 10:59 PM)

Pre-reg means second hand lah.

But luxury marques sometimes will "buy" thier leftover unsold stock to meet thier quota. Usually at tail end of a model run or pending new facelift.

Usually they will use as demo, loaner cars or management cars. Some cars may be event sponsor cars.

Usually low mileage and have full warranty.
tpleong
post Apr 19 2021, 04:20 PM

Enthusiast
718 posts

QUOTE(jaycee1 @ Apr 19 2021, 04:03 PM)
Pre-reg means second hand lah.
But luxury marques sometimes will "buy" thier leftover unsold stock to meet thier quota. Usually at tail end of a model run or pending new facelift.

Usually they will use as demo, loaner cars or management cars.  Some cars may be event sponsor cars.
Usually low mileage and have full warranty.
You got it wrong ...Pre-owned means second hand but pre-reg is NEW ( 0 miliege) and just registered under a company then sell to you .
tpleong
post Apr 19 2021, 04:22 PM

Enthusiast
718 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Apr 17 2021, 04:55 PM)
Thanks for all your useful feedback guys! There's one more thing I'm kinda confused about: Apple CarPlay

Is there a trial period now? Or it's just disabled until u pay the one-off payment?

Is the payment only to enable "wireless" car play, or the whole Apple CarPlay system? Cos I read some articles saying payment is needed to enalble wireless Apple CarPlay (means wired Apple CarPlay is free?)
Ill answer you, you get a 3 months free trial period . After that , you need to pay one off RM1288, I think , to continue to use it .

However, Android is FREE

Also , under the BMWconnectedDrive, a lot of the things need subscribtion . rclxub.gif

This post has been edited by tpleong: Apr 19 2021, 06:17 PM
BigMan123
post Apr 19 2021, 05:53 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,131 posts

QUOTE(tpleong @ Apr 19 2021, 04:20 PM)
You got it wrong ...Pre-owned means second hand but pre-reg is NEW ( 0 miliege) and just registered under a company then sell to you .
Pre reg…what you say is true but usually they will run it for some km before passing to you. They have to take that as proof to claim from BMW as part of their advertisement costs or sonethings
tpleong
post Apr 19 2021, 06:05 PM

Enthusiast
718 posts

-reg
QUOTE(BigMan123 @ Apr 19 2021, 05:53 PM)
Pre reg…what you say is true but usually they will run it for some km before passing to you. They have to take that as proof to claim from BMW as part of their advertisement costs or sonethings
It's the 7% fleet discount ....They used a shell company for that purpose . if you obeserve carefully, the discount you get from pre-reg is about 7%.

This post has been edited by tpleong: Apr 19 2021, 06:18 PM
tpleong
post Apr 19 2021, 06:19 PM

Enthusiast
718 posts

QUOTE(jonlee @ Apr 12 2021, 07:33 PM)
Got mine in Jan 21
j88j
post Apr 24 2021, 02:50 AM

Casual
404 posts

For long distance journey like JB - KL

320i G20 vs Camry xv70

Which one more relax , comfort and easy to drive at high speed ard 160-170km/h without tiredness?
BigMan123
post Apr 24 2021, 10:24 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,131 posts

QUOTE(mypenandpencil @ Apr 24 2021, 09:12 AM)
My mate, 320i is sensitive car you know? 😂. Beside that, interior quite messy. Check it out Passat Elegance. Surely you will forgot your 320i hhahahaha
VW …. Plus super small side mirrors.
davidletterboyz
post Apr 25 2021, 01:20 AM

Der Kaiser
4,517 posts

QUOTE(j88j @ Apr 24 2021, 02:50 AM)
For long distance journey like JB - KL

320i G20 vs Camry xv70

Which one more relax , comfort and easy to drive at high speed ard 160-170km/h without tiredness?
You'll probably fall asleep at that speed in the camry. sweat.gif
Purplerization P
post Apr 27 2021, 08:05 PM

Probation
6 posts

it's not money friendly 😂 i suggest u to check out passat elegance if u are looking for Liverpool Alloy rims and stunning LED headlights. memang worth ☺️
Purplerization P
post Apr 27 2021, 08:08 PM

Probation
6 posts

for me, better upgrate to R-Line. reasonable price with great power and engine. not to mention their sleek design, definitely sporty and stylish!!
0hmyg0d
post Apr 28 2021, 10:35 PM

Getting Started
202 posts

My SA has stocks for 330i tho.. last update from her was 2 days ago
omnimech
post May 11 2021, 09:29 AM

DaFuQ
1,425 posts

you ask friends who own the car or peasants who give excuses to themselves why they cant own it ?
V12Kompressor
post May 11 2021, 09:58 AM

No carrots here
2,086 posts

Passat cybertroopers hard at work. Need to clear stock. lol
fish_hoo
post May 11 2021, 10:46 AM

Getting Started
158 posts

Go teat drive both and let your bini or guts to tell you which one
BigMan123
post May 11 2021, 10:54 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,131 posts

Passat is too elegance….
waghyu
post May 11 2021, 10:56 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,389 posts

Welcome to dream repair bills club. RM5k per damages
BigMan123
post May 11 2021, 02:55 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,131 posts

QUOTE(waghyu @ May 11 2021, 10:56 AM)
Welcome to dream repair bills club. RM5k per damages
At least zero costs for first 5 years as it’s covered by warranty, unless it’s brake related
waghyu
post May 11 2021, 03:48 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,389 posts

QUOTE(BigMan123 @ May 11 2021, 02:55 PM)
At least zero costs for first 5 years as it’s covered by warranty, unless it’s brake related
Yes buy new no issue. Reliable. Most issue is improper repair rendered. Infact as long got engine oil, filter in check, no issue at all. Shocks must change periodically.
electron
post May 11 2021, 05:49 PM

Regular
1,318 posts

QUOTE(0hmyg0d @ Apr 28 2021, 10:35 PM)
My SA has stocks for 330i tho.. last update from her was 2 days ago
There will be batches of 320i from the factory this month. Check with the SA for stock
BigMan123
post May 30 2021, 09:39 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,131 posts

Finally gone with 330i and not 320i after taking into consideration the following:

1. Digital meter. The 218i look alike seems like a combination of 2 non symmetrical oval shaped. The OCD in me can’t accept

2. The reflective interior which looks rather plain. If I get 320i, I will be going for a wrap

3. 10 speakers. I will need to upgrade also. So some money also

4. Smaller head unit with thick bezels. Reverse camera seems tiny
clature
post Jun 1 2021, 12:36 PM

14 posts

QUOTE(BigMan123 @ May 30 2021, 09:39 PM)
Finally gone with 330i and not 320i after taking into consideration the following:

1. Digital meter. The 218i look alike seems like a combination of 2 non symmetrical oval shaped. The OCD in me can’t accept

2. The reflective interior which looks rather plain. If I get 320i, I will be going for a wrap

3. 10 speakers. I will need to upgrade also. So some money also

4. Smaller head unit with thick bezels. Reverse camera seems tiny
I think the deal breaker for most people who decided against the 330i is the stiff and uncomfortable suspension though.
driedfish
post Jun 1 2021, 04:09 PM

45 posts

QUOTE(clature @ Jun 1 2021, 12:36 PM)
I think the deal breaker for most people who decided against the 330i is the stiff and uncomfortable suspension though.
that is why a lot people selling of their 330i... too bumpy and uncomfy

nabelon
post Jun 1 2021, 10:42 PM

1,711 posts

waiting to test drive the 330i, dunno when can get chance due to covid. got a beemer but never had a bimmer. trading my golf mk6 for one, dunno if ride comfort can challenge or not. vw is comfy while being sporty.

V12Kompressor
post Jun 1 2021, 11:12 PM

No carrots here
2,086 posts

QUOTE(nabelon @ Jun 1 2021, 10:42 PM)
waiting to test drive the 330i, dunno when can get chance due to covid. got a beemer but never had a bimmer. trading my golf mk6 for one, dunno if ride comfort can challenge or not. vw is comfy while being sporty.
330i more bumpy.
nabelon
post Jun 2 2021, 12:25 AM

1,711 posts

QUOTE(V12Kompressor @ Jun 1 2021, 11:12 PM)
330i more bumpy.
ouch, my old bones wont appreciate that.
hOnGhOnG
post Jun 2 2021, 09:05 AM

Getting Started
188 posts

330i only 1 downside (for some people), the suspension is hard and not electronically adjustable..

If you are into driving and don't need to carry family in 330i often, go for it, else go for 320i or 330e. If money not a problem then go for M340i.
electron
post Jun 2 2021, 10:02 AM

Regular
1,318 posts

QUOTE(nabelon @ Jun 1 2021, 10:42 PM)
Passive sports suspension and low profile run flat are not a good combo for badly maintained roads.
Adaptive sports suspension, on the other hand, has been reported to be more comfortable than passive standard suspension.
driedfish
post Jun 2 2021, 10:17 AM

45 posts

QUOTE(hOnGhOnG @ Jun 2 2021, 09:05 AM)
330i only 1 downside (for some people), the suspension is hard and not electronically adjustable..

If you are into driving and don't need to carry family in 330i often, go for it, else go for 320i or 330e. If money not a problem then go for M340i.
yes
i am a car technician. its 330e or 320i for comfort and value.

too many people regretted 330i. take a few highway trips and straight regret
SUSInitialB
post Jun 2 2021, 10:20 AM

Casual
477 posts

Kalo kaya beli je la, after 5 year change car.

This is what a BMW owner did.

Yang nak pakai BMW show off but monthly apartment maintenance pun tak nak bayar puak haram la...
nabelon
post Jun 2 2021, 10:35 AM

1,711 posts

QUOTE(driedfish @ Jun 2 2021, 10:17 AM)
yes
i am a car technician. its 330e or 320i for comfort and value.

too many people regretted 330i.  take a few highway trips and straight regret
Ic, got to consider that as well, didnt wanna look at 5 coz its too bulky but maybe have to reconsider or go the new c class route
constant_weight
post Jun 2 2021, 11:24 AM

Casual
344 posts

QUOTE(nabelon @ Jun 2 2021, 10:35 AM)
Ic, got to consider that as well, didnt wanna look at 5 coz its too bulky but maybe have to reconsider or go the new c class route
C class W205 (and A class, CLA, GLA of same generation) interior only looks nice from the picture. When you touch them, buttons, knobs, door handles, seat belt buckles are cheap, loose and flimsy. Thus the joke you buy nice ambient LED lights + fancy screens, the car is free gift. Wait for W206 and see the quality first, the early batch of W205 was ok. The cost down over the years were staggering.

Just sit inside BMW 330/320 and Volvo S60, touch around then do the same thing on C class. You will doubt C300 totally not worth 300K.

BMW even the entry level 218i and X1 interior are more sturdy and solid built that C class.
thesnake
post Jun 2 2021, 06:57 PM

On my way
505 posts

somehow 320i is better
rainpearpirate
post Jun 2 2021, 08:42 PM

Getting Started
50 posts

QUOTE(clature @ Jun 1 2021, 12:36 PM)
Just got my 330i a few days ago. It’s not that bad la. It was much better than expected.

Considering my previous cars since 16-17 years ago were just proton wira and saga.

Can always switch to aftermarket suspensions if it’s too “bad”.
BigMan123
post Jun 2 2021, 10:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,131 posts

QUOTE(rainpearpirate @ Jun 2 2021, 08:42 PM)
Just got my 330i a few days ago. It’s not that bad la. It was much better than expected.

Considering my previous cars since 16-17 years ago were just proton wira and saga.

Can always switch to aftermarket suspensions if it’s too “bad”.
Ya….digital instrumental is worth the upgrade. How much does it take to upgrade this outside?
littlefire
post Jun 3 2021, 09:12 AM

Regular
1,074 posts

QUOTE(thesnake @ Jun 2 2021, 07:57 PM)
somehow 320i is better
Agree, for normal daily drive 320i serve the purpose better, it is not so hardcore and more subtle to drive around and also cost lesser.

This post has been edited by littlefire: Jun 3 2021, 09:12 AM
thesnake
post Jun 3 2021, 09:20 AM

On my way
505 posts

QUOTE(littlefire @ Jun 3 2021, 09:12 AM)
Agree, for normal daily drive 320i serve the purpose better, it is not so hardcore and more subtle to drive around and also cost lesser.
i was also contemplating between 320i or 330i, end up likely going for 320i and the rest of the money saved.
clature
post Jun 3 2021, 09:44 AM

14 posts

Wondering if any 320i owners actually upgraded their instrument panel to the digital one. Is this even possible from Auto Bavaria? Or have to go outside to install?
romuluz777
post Jun 3 2021, 11:02 PM

On my way
521 posts

What is the latest speedo type on the 320i now ? Is it the same as the 218i Gran Coupe or Live Cockpit Pro ?
BigMan123
post Jun 4 2021, 07:52 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,131 posts

QUOTE(romuluz777 @ Jun 3 2021, 11:02 PM)
What is the latest speedo type on the 320i now ? Is it the same as the 218i Gran Coupe or Live Cockpit Pro ?
218i…

I will prefer the previous analogue one to 218i. This is still analogue but it’s horrible (exact words from Bobby if you watch his review of 218i)

This post has been edited by BigMan123: Jun 4 2021, 08:21 AM
romuluz777
post Jun 4 2021, 08:58 AM

On my way
521 posts

QUOTE(BigMan123 @ Jun 4 2021, 08:52 AM)
218i…

I will prefer the previous analogue one to 218i. This is still analogue but it’s horrible (exact words from Bobby if you watch his review of 218i)
Yeah, agreed its horrible.
I wish AB would hv launched an M-Sport variant of the 320i, like they did for the F30 320i LCI back in Nov 2015.

Goodies to add to the M-sport :-

iDrive 7.0 wth 10.25" display
M-Sport steering wheel
Live Cockpit Pro
BelaCHAN
post Jun 4 2021, 09:04 AM

Casual
487 posts

You know TS, There's always the VW route (Passat R Line or Arteon).

Though arguably, the prestige is less lah haha
BigMan123
post Jun 4 2021, 10:43 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,131 posts

QUOTE(BelaCHAN @ Jun 4 2021, 09:04 AM)

Arteon proposition is good but I have not seen any on the road yet. Have they sold any?
BelaCHAN
post Jun 4 2021, 10:50 AM

Casual
487 posts

QUOTE(BigMan123 @ Jun 4 2021, 10:43 AM)
Arteon proposition is good but I have not seen any on the road yet. Have they sold any?
Probably not many.

Cause the price vs Perf, Passat R line win hands down.

If only they bought in the 280PS Arteon... ... =D
rainpearpirate
post Jun 4 2021, 10:50 AM

Getting Started
50 posts

QUOTE(BelaCHAN @ Jun 4 2021, 09:04 AM)

my wife got the passat b8. i must say one thing: value for money. it's comfortable, spacious, powerful enough. what more is there to ask.
ZeneticX
post Jun 4 2021, 06:24 PM

stars for what
All Stars
10,321 posts

QUOTE(BelaCHAN @ Jun 4 2021, 10:50 AM)
Probably not many.

Cause the price vs Perf, Passat R line win hands down.

If only they bought in the 280PS Arteon... ... =D
The thing about the Arteon (all VW cars in general basically).... there's no active safety systems at all. And for me its unacceptable for a car above 200k lah when everyone in the price bracket have some active safety in place
BigMan123
post Jun 4 2021, 08:20 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,131 posts

QUOTE(ZeneticX @ Jun 4 2021, 06:24 PM)
The thing about the Arteon (all VW cars in general basically).... there's no active safety systems at all. And for me its unacceptable for a car above 200k lah when everyone in the price bracket have some active safety in place
Resale value tumbles also…so it works out to be the same
BigMan123
post Jun 4 2021, 08:45 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,131 posts

Sorry….double post

This post has been edited by BigMan123: Jun 4 2021, 08:49 PM
driftmeister
post Jun 5 2021, 10:23 AM

Penggadai Rakyat®
4,105 posts

QUOTE(romuluz777 @ Jun 3 2021, 11:02 PM)
user posted image
RL5959
post Jun 6 2021, 11:27 PM

4 posts

Family member and I bought the previous gen BMW 5 when it first came out, 7years ago, at the same time.

My car: 6 years, 120k km, regular 10k service, no issues at all but I could sense the car was about to give issues just before I sold it. Took care of it, didn't redline, hardly ever over 4-5k rpm. Parked under shade, rubber bits took 5 years to begin going sticky. I bought the replacement.

Other car: 5.5 years, 110k km, irregular 10-20km service, engine overhaul 3rd year and engine/tranny overhaul 5th year. Not really that cared for as much, revved a bit harder, occasionally parked in sun, rubber bits sticky after 3 years. This car was not replaced by another BMW.

Anecdotal experience yes, but if you do put some effort into taking care of it, it should serve well. Just remember that they're not really built for our heat and humidity, and it's best to not hold on to them after 6 years.
BigMan123
post Jun 7 2021, 08:23 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,131 posts

QUOTE(RL5959 @ Jun 6 2021, 11:27 PM)
Family member and I bought the previous gen BMW 5 when it first came out, 7years ago, at the same time.

My car: 6 years, 120k km, regular 10k service, no issues at all but I could sense the car was about to give issues just before I sold it. Took care of it, didn't redline, hardly ever over 4-5k rpm. Parked under shade, rubber bits took 5 years to begin going sticky. I bought the replacement.

Other car: 5.5 years, 110k km, irregular 10-20km service, engine overhaul 3rd year and engine/tranny overhaul 5th year. Not really that cared for as much, revved a bit harder, occasionally parked in sun, rubber bits sticky after 3 years. This car was not replaced by another BMW.

Anecdotal experience yes, but if you do put some effort into taking care of it, it should serve well. Just remember that they're not really built for our heat and humidity, and it's best to not hold on to them after 6 years.
Same. Had a F30 for 7 years. No issues except for an engine oil leak earlier this year.

Rubber bits melted but got them replaced below 1k.

Once driven a BMW, you will realized why the tag line is sheer driving pleasure

fastreader
post Jun 7 2021, 08:54 AM

4,505 posts

wow..tats quite an unfortunate vehicle for the 5.5years...cos a lot of beemer holds well past 7-8 years... i'm still whacking my E90 like a ricer btw.

a year 2011 (final production year) E90..so, yea, reaching double digit in age...sticky parts (interior door handle) changed, window seal change,coolant hose, signal lights...all for under 1k...

This post has been edited by fastreader: Jun 7 2021, 08:59 AM
RL5959
post Jun 7 2021, 09:30 PM

4 posts

QUOTE(fastreader @ Jun 7 2021, 09:54 AM)
wow..tats quite an unfortunate vehicle for the 5.5years...cos a lot of beemer holds well past 7-8 years... i'm still whacking my E90 like a ricer btw.

a year 2011 (final production year) E90..so, yea, reaching double digit in age...sticky parts (interior door handle) changed, window seal change,coolant hose, signal lights...all for under 1k...
Ok this is quite important also.
Final production year is obv the best year in terms of reliability cos all kinks ironed out. But also depreciation hits the hardest.
The cars I mentioned were 2nd year cars - smack in between launch and LCI.
I say this because first year cars, of which I've had a couple of BMWs that fall in that range, including a 3rd month car, are understandably still plagued with new model issues. Many of these issue affect the car reasonably soon, others takes years to come into play. But normally after a year they'd pick up on the most critical ones. Sites like RealOEM will show which parts get switched out.

Also just have a google for the TSBs out for your car.
fastreader
post Jun 8 2021, 08:24 AM

4,505 posts

QUOTE(RL5959 @ Jun 7 2021, 09:30 PM)
Ok this is quite important also.
Final production year is obv the best year in terms of reliability cos all kinks ironed out. But also depreciation hits the hardest.
The cars I mentioned were 2nd year cars - smack in between launch and LCI.
I say this because first year cars, of which I've had a couple of BMWs that fall in that range, including a 3rd month car, are understandably still plagued with new model issues. Many of these issue affect the car reasonably soon, others takes years to come into play. But normally after a year they'd pick up on the most critical ones. Sites like RealOEM will show which parts get switched out.

Also just have a google for the TSBs out for your car.
yeap, agreed on the final production year purchase's depreciation.. doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif cry.gif cry.gif

thanks for sharing on the RealOEM site, for future references and knowledge juga. smile.gif
Pepperboy
post Jun 8 2021, 11:07 AM

Getting Started
147 posts

When u say you could sense the car was about to give issues, what do u mean specifically?

Parked under the shade approx. how many percent of the time?

Which rubber bit tend to go sticky?

BigMan123
post Jun 8 2021, 12:34 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,131 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Jun 8 2021, 11:07 AM)
When u say you could sense the car was about to give issues, what do u mean specifically?

Oil leak will be a good early warning that more things will crumble or give way.

Rubber bits mainly in older models…the door handles and the radio knobs usually
ZeneticX
post Jun 8 2021, 03:15 PM

stars for what
All Stars
10,321 posts

QUOTE(fastreader @ Jun 8 2021, 08:24 AM)
yeap, agreed on the final production year purchase's depreciation.. doh.gif  doh.gif  doh.gif  cry.gif  cry.gif

thanks for sharing on the RealOEM site, for future references and knowledge juga. smile.gif
wait for new model out and you can grab the final production year model at a great bargain

that's if you are willing to go for an older BMW when there's a newer better model
BigMan123
post Jun 8 2021, 05:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,131 posts

QUOTE(ZeneticX @ Jun 8 2021, 03:15 PM)
wait for new model out and you can grab the final production year model at a great bargain
that's if you are willing to go for an older BMW when there's a newer better model
Go for x1. Towards the end of its life and now comes with a lot of features and m sport body kit
RL5959
post Jun 8 2021, 11:43 PM

4 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Jun 8 2021, 12:07 PM)

1) After 6 years and 120k km you kinda know the car. The sounds, the vibrations, the feel of things. So when I say sense, I mean that several bio-mechanical connections told me that something just wasn't right. It sounded a bit rougher, a bit of whine somewhere (hello gearbox), and the bum-carseat interface told me that was some odd vibrations also-engine mounts, prob. Steering wasn't as tight, usual wear and tear, and absorbers felt crashier. Not my first BMW rodeo - expected the upcoming engine/gearbox overhaul, replacement of shocks, mounts, bushings, pads, rotors etc... Incidentally, this all costs 60k for a M car, and having done that and not wanting to go through it with the daily driver, I decided to sell it off.

2) Parked under shade 95% of time, home and work. This one didn't have the headlining cave in, and the rubber bits got a bit sticky, but not full-on treacle.

3) Soft-touch bits like door handles and cupholder surrounds. Apparently new model cars have a better formula that resists melting better.
RL5959
post Jun 8 2021, 11:46 PM

4 posts

QUOTE(fastreader @ Jun 8 2021, 09:24 AM)
yeap, agreed on the final production year purchase's depreciation.. doh.gif  doh.gif  doh.gif  cry.gif  cry.gif

Welcome. I use RealOEM to compare prices. It's approx USD prices, so if the workshop here is charging more than double, then you'd better ask them to throw in some extra lube.
littlefire
post Jun 9 2021, 09:19 AM

Regular
1,074 posts

QUOTE(RL5959 @ Jun 9 2021, 12:46 AM)
Welcome. I use RealOEM to compare prices. It's approx USD prices, so if the workshop here is charging more than double, then you'd better ask them to throw in some extra lube.
RealOEM pricing is not always updated.
You need to go at least 2~3 international website like UK car spare part, ebay or german spare part site to compare.
If your part is rare or need special order usually it will be more expensive as spare part shop will help just to order that particular part for you using fast courier from oversea.
Pepperboy
post Jun 9 2021, 12:25 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(RL5959 @ Jun 8 2021, 11:43 PM)
1) After 6 years and 120k km you kinda know the car. The sounds, the vibrations, the feel of things. So when I say sense, I mean that several bio-mechanical connections told me that something just wasn't right. It sounded a bit rougher, a bit of whine somewhere (hello gearbox), and the bum-carseat interface told me that was some odd vibrations also-engine mounts, prob. Steering wasn't as tight, usual wear and tear, and absorbers felt crashier. Not my first BMW rodeo - expected the upcoming engine/gearbox overhaul, replacement of shocks, mounts, bushings, pads, rotors etc... Incidentally, this all costs 60k for a M car, and having done that and not wanting to go through it with the daily driver, I decided to sell it off.

2) Parked under shade 95% of time, home and work. This one didn't have the headlining cave in, and the rubber bits got a bit sticky, but not full-on treacle.

3) Soft-touch bits like door handles and cupholder surrounds. Apparently new model cars have a better formula that resists melting better.
Thanks for the info! Really appreciate it.

So even when taken care of as meticulously as u did, a BMW would probably need an engine/gearbox overhaul at around 6 years / 100+k km...

Would it be unrealistic to expect to keep a BMW (3 series) for 10 years without undergoing a major overhaul? Is this BMW specific or does it affect most conti cars?

littlefire
post Jun 9 2021, 12:33 PM

Regular
1,074 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Jun 9 2021, 01:25 PM)

So even when taken care of as meticulously as u did, a BMW would probably need an engine/gearbox overhaul at around 6 years / 100+k km...

Would it be unrealistic to expect to keep a BMW (3 series) for 10 years without undergoing a major overhaul? Is this BMW specific or does it affect most conti cars?
Overhauling is quite subjective, for what i know BMW if after warranty are easy to leak oil due to the gasket and rubber part around the engine will wear.
Usually these oil leak can be settle without dissemble the whole internal engine. Normal oil leak area like engine flywheel/gearbox oil seal, main pulley oil seal, engine valve cover seal, oil pan are just a few which is common to leak after warranty. Usually after change it, you should be ok to last another 5 years or 100k if getting original stuff.

This post has been edited by littlefire: Jun 9 2021, 05:17 PM
HalseyFrangipane
post Jun 9 2021, 08:52 PM

Casual
366 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Jun 9 2021, 12:25 PM)

No they do not.

Leaks are usually from old gasket and rubber and do not require an overhaul.
littlefire
post Jun 10 2021, 09:08 AM

Regular
1,074 posts

QUOTE(HalseyFrangipane @ Jun 9 2021, 09:52 PM)
No they do not.

Leaks are usually from old gasket and rubber and do not require an overhaul.
Yes, agree.

Recently my mechanic met a BMW owner which i believe might be scam by some workshop.
Some owners are phobia about oil leak or any warning symbols coming out from the meter and did not have basic knowledge about cars. With this weakness some workshop took the opportunity and scam the owner by saying the need to do major overhauling or expensive repairs which actually just did few gasket or oil ring change...
BigMan123
post Jun 10 2021, 09:16 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,131 posts

QUOTE(littlefire @ Jun 10 2021, 09:08 AM)
Yes, agree.

Recently my mechanic met a BMW owner which i believe might be scam by some workshop.
Some owners are phobia about oil leak or any warning symbols coming out from the meter and did not have basic knowledge about cars. With this weakness some workshop took the opportunity and scam the owner by saying the need to do major overhauling or expensive repairs which actually just did few gasket or oil ring change...
On a similar note, I had an experience with car wash. Sent my car for normal wash and vacuum and I ate at restaurant next door. After some time the owner came and told me my car had black grease/ stains at certain area. I went to take a look together and he said he can try polishing to remove them. So no choice and the stains were subsequently removed. So happy…and signed up some package with him.

Several weeks later, I went to cut hair. The salon guy told me there is this good car wash place nearby. I asked if it’s the one I went to. Then he said no….cos this guy apparently goes round the neighborhood splashing those black stains so people will go for his car wash and polishing.

Conclusion…got scammed.

Morale of story: never leave your car unattended
HalseyFrangipane
post Jun 11 2021, 12:55 AM

Casual
366 posts

Yes, agree.

Nothing against owners who want to drive BMW for the brand or luxury, but I highly recommend a Lexus or something else that's reliable if they aren't an enthusiast, or at least aren't willing to put in the research to know what are the causes of issues, etc and just let a workshop take care of all the maintenance. But of course, it's not their fault as the workshops aren't even suppose to be scamming people in the first place.
littlefire
post Jun 11 2021, 08:53 AM

Regular
1,074 posts

QUOTE(HalseyFrangipane @ Jun 11 2021, 01:55 AM)
Nothing against owners who want to drive BMW for the brand or luxury, but I highly recommend a Lexus or something else that's reliable if they aren't an enthusiast, or at least aren't willing to put in the research to know what are the causes of issues, etc and just let a workshop take care of all the maintenance. But of course, it's not their fault as the workshops aren't even suppose to be scamming people in the first place.
This is a sad truth as a lot of workshop mentality is that people which can drive BMW, Merc (Even Lexus) must be rich people and willing to pay more.. I think if you really do research or survay, 10 workshop 9 of them for sure will say charge the BMW, Merc owner higher for similar job.. laugh.gif
zeng
post Jun 11 2021, 09:10 AM

Regular
1,475 posts

Yes, agree.

Agree with you on BMW or other high rm cars.
However, I believe quite the same thing happens to entry level cars with owners being advised on (major) overhauls for minor leaks here and there.
Can't blame general population for 'lack' of basic knowledge on car maintenance but it's good be humble to ask and seek advice from reputable fora and knowledgeable friends, if any.
Mechanics are a source too, but with vested interests in particular the SC's.

This post has been edited by zeng: Jun 11 2021, 09:12 AM
blmse92
post Jun 11 2021, 09:46 AM

On my way
509 posts

A basic warning issue pop out from idrive or dashboard indicate that error not necessary is that particular error, better get a OBD port scanner to check which area is in fault. Might be battery
ZeneticX
post Jun 11 2021, 12:48 PM

stars for what
All Stars
10,321 posts

QUOTE(HalseyFrangipane @ Jun 11 2021, 12:55 AM)
Scammers will be scammers and those without knowledge will continue to fall for it regardless of the car they drive. Even a Axia owner can be scammed. But the probability might be higher with BMW/Merc owners as a sizeable majority are just into them for the brand alone...
constant_weight
post Jun 11 2021, 11:26 PM

Casual
344 posts

QUOTE(HalseyFrangipane @ Jun 11 2021, 12:55 AM)
For modern car, it makes little difference for most traditional 3rd party mechanic if it is Japanese or not. What they usually do are oil change and replace battery, alternator, suspension arms, brake pads, shock absorbers etc something mechanical externally.

20 years old engine they still can fix. The one near my place once got a Camry Hybrid with check engine light but still able to drive, he basically looked at engine bay, then closed the hood and told the guy to go back to Toyota. They can't even read a full English sentence, don't expect them to deal with computers.

One famous example is engine oil sip usually caused by PCV valve clogged, because engine unable to equalize air pressure inside the block to atmospheric pressure. BMW and most continentals adopted direct injection and turbo for many years + Malaysian basically can not walk and do a lot of short distance drive, that contributed to the problem. Otherwise the PCV would last 80,000km+. So knowing the principle, 90% of the case only need to change PCV. The old mechanic either think it is BMW design problem, or simply change engine gasket. There goes the urban myth BMW always leak oil. With the Japanese adopting more modern tech, the old dogs going to see more stuffs they don't understand. "Got sound change the part" approach no longer works

For the 3rd party modern specialized shops that have real knowledge and up to date with technology, usually famous within the region. They knows how to deal with modern cars, have reputation to keep and don't simply scam people.
Pepperboy
post Jun 12 2021, 10:32 AM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(constant_weight @ Jun 11 2021, 11:26 PM)
BMW and most continentals adopted direct injection and turbo for many years + Malaysian basically can not walk and do a lot of short distance drive, that contributed to the problem. Otherwise the PCV would last 80,000km+. So knowing the principle, 90% of the case only need to change PCV. The old mechanic either think it is BMW design problem, or simply change engine gasket. There goes the urban myth BMW always leak oil. With the Japanese adopting more modern tech, the old dogs going to see more stuffs they don't understand. "Got sound change the part" approach no longer works

For the 3rd party modern specialized shops that have real knowledge and up to date with technology, usually famous within the region. They knows how to deal with modern cars, have reputation to keep and don't simply scam people.
Ah yes, another common statement I've seen is "driving short distances often is not good for ur BMW". May I know more specifically how short-distance driving contributes to the PCV issue?

So during this lockdown period daily drive go tapau food a few kilometres away is a no-no for the engine?

constant_weight
post Jun 12 2021, 06:02 PM

Casual
344 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Jun 12 2021, 10:32 AM)
Ah yes, another common statement I've seen is "driving short distances often is not good for ur BMW". May I know more specifically how short-distance driving contributes to the PCV issue?

So during this lockdown period daily drive go tapau food a few kilometres away is a no-no for the engine?
Actually not limited to BMW, but any cars. Just direct injection + turbo the effect is more prominent.

This goes back to the purpose of PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation). Here's some history and development over time.

- the pressure of crankcase where the engine oil at is not static
- piston movement cause fast pressure change, and blow-by are adding more air to the crankcase
- The earlier engines have no ventilation and no gasket, oil leak is normal. Then gaskets were added but doesn't fix the problem. Because the pressure is pushing the oil through any gaps possible.
- The people started to make small hole at the top of the engine to release the pressure, but this is still not PCV
- This release the pressure, but the blow-by, the unburned, burned carbon etc are still containment the engine oil
- Here's the next design, connect bring a simple rubber pipe from the vent to the bottom of the car. Then open another hole to vent in fresh air, known as breather valve
- This fast moving car create low pressure (relative to the crankcase) at the bottom of the car, thus suck the air out naturally through the rubber pipe. Fresh air goes into crankcase via breather
- This is first iteration of PCV and Breather
- But the dirty air is now vented to atmosphere, the government started to mandate rules to ban this cheap but polluting solution. California is the first in the world.
- The new solution is to vent the PCV out air back into engine intake. Thus recycle the dirty air into engine to burn off. This also have other benefit of lower the combustion temperature and reduce other form of emissions.
- For NA engine intake manifold is always negative pressure, we have vacuum from the intake manifold to pull air from PCV.
- For Turbo or Supercharger, PCV need one way valve. On idle and cruising, the intake manifold is negative pressure and pull air from PCV like NA. When on boost, PCV will close.
- So now, remember the air from PCV is dirty. For port injection, the gasoline will clean the intake valve.
- For direct injection, the dirty air will contaminate the intake system, thus the famous carbon build up issue.
- Now for more expensive cars including BMW have oil air separator built into the PCV system.
- Consider this as the OEM oil catch can, with minor different is the oil is sent back to engine. Owner no need to clean the catch can.
- Japanese and Korean (not sure about the Genesis which basically designed by German engineers) usually do not have the oil air separator.
- The common of both solutions are carbon deposit will still increase over time. It is either you want to clot the PCV first or clot the valve first. Worse enough both still get clotted.

With the background, you can see yourself how short drive affect the system. The engine have less time to warm up, some case never really warm up. Short tapau most likely driving at low rpm and low load, the airflow is slow. The fresh air circulation of PCV circulation also slow, and high frequency for dirty dead air as soon as engine off (short trip = start/stop more often per same mileage). Don't worry too much as things are much better today with advance ECU to manage the timing + better engine oil the problem is less severe. One should not worry until at least 80,000KM - 100,000KM, which the remedy is known. Check the intake valves and PCV, clean/replace as needed. One should only do this 1 time for entire car ownership, maybe 2 if drive 20 years. Unless the owner drive <1KM multiple times, daily. That's an extreme case.

This post has been edited by constant_weight: Jun 12 2021, 06:09 PM
Pepperboy
post Jun 12 2021, 07:29 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

Thanks a lot for the very detailed explanation!!

With this information in hand, would I be able to offset daily short trips in the mornings to the workplace with a longer drive (say around 10km) during lunchtime to avoid this problem?
littlefire
post Jun 14 2021, 01:50 PM

Regular
1,074 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Jun 12 2021, 08:29 PM)

With this information in hand, would I be able to offset daily short trips in the mornings to the workplace with a longer drive (say around 10km) during lunchtime to avoid this problem?
Your longer drive is driven in what condition? If highway with higher speed is ok, but if the 10km also is stop start or slow traffic jam situation which is like driving in city or small town area actually is also LPPL..

This post has been edited by littlefire: Jun 14 2021, 01:51 PM
constant_weight
post Jun 14 2021, 10:22 PM

Casual
344 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Jun 12 2021, 07:29 PM)

QUOTE(littlefire @ Jun 14 2021, 01:50 PM)
Your longer drive is driven in what condition? If highway with higher speed is ok, but if the 10km also is stop start or slow traffic jam situation which is like driving in city or small town area actually is also LPPL..
That's true, a lot of idling and stop and go it not good as well.

If you don't need to do the 10km, no need to purposely drive it, that is counter productive.

If you need to do that 10km by all means, like I said now with better engine oil and advance control, it is much better than the past. Normally 80,000KM+, if you in the worst use case let's say half at 40,000KM+, go for 4S or reputable 3rd party, they know what to do. It is not an expensive fix. Further more you stay close to your work like you mentions, how long do you think you need to drive 40,000KM?

Use good engine oil, and change per manufacturer recommendation.
hOnGhOnG
post Jun 16 2021, 08:42 AM

Getting Started
188 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Jun 12 2021, 07:29 PM)

buy 330e, give u 40-50km electric, engine wont run. kakakaka. no need warm up car also cause electric.

my workplace is 15km from my house, so only weekend go buy sayur or lepak will consume petrol. my last refuel was 2 months ago RM50.

Electric bill charge everyday around RM150 extra.
riezzien
post Jun 16 2021, 09:20 AM

Getting Started
107 posts

Buy.
Sell at the end of 5 yrs warranty. Seriously
driedfish
post Jun 19 2021, 03:11 PM

45 posts

QUOTE(thesnake @ Jun 2 2021, 06:57 PM)
somehow 320i is better
not really

330i has the power but not suit family or full load

matrix88
post Jun 29 2021, 08:41 PM

Regular
1,653 posts

QUOTE(hOnGhOnG @ Jun 16 2021, 08:42 AM)
buy 330e, give u 40-50km electric, engine wont run. kakakaka. no need warm up car also cause electric.

my workplace is 15km from my house, so only weekend go buy sayur or lepak will consume petrol. my last refuel was 2 months ago RM50.

Electric bill charge everyday around RM150 extra.
150 electric bill per month is not cheap, converting to petrol cost means it is more expensive to run, not to mention maintenance for battery, inverter, charger, motor etc.

No wonder 330e second price suffers so much.
BigMan123
post Jun 30 2021, 09:36 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,131 posts

QUOTE(matrix88 @ Jun 29 2021, 08:41 PM)
150 electric bill per month is not cheap, converting to petrol cost means it is more expensive to run, not to mention maintenance for battery, inverter, charger, motor etc.

No wonder 330e second price suffers so much.
After buying phev, there are a lot of people asking if the auto start stop when car is idle can be switched off. There is no button for this though some work around is available
clature
post Jul 1 2021, 03:49 PM

14 posts

BMW 320i Gets Live Cockpit Professional Plus

Good news for potential buyers I guess. But still 6 speakers though ...

But kesian the current 320i owners who got the analogue dials
BigMan123
post Jul 2 2021, 06:15 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,131 posts

QUOTE(clature @ Jul 1 2021, 03:49 PM)
<a href='https://<link removed>/2021/07/01/2021-bmw-320i-sport-gets-live-cockpit-professional-with-bigger-screens-operating-system-7-rm231k/' target='_blank'>BMW 320i Gets Live Cockpit Professional Plus</a>

Good news for potential buyers I guess. But still 6 speakers though ...

But kesian the current 320i owners who got the analogue dials
No wonder there were no stock allocations in May and June.
This cockpit is a massive upgrade.
clature
post Jul 2 2021, 09:31 AM

14 posts

QUOTE(BigMan123 @ Jul 2 2021, 06:15 AM)
No wonder there were no stock allocations in May and June.
This cockpit is a massive upgrade.
In any case, I think this will probably eat into the 330i sales. For the average user who doesn't want the extra power and wants a more comfortable suspension, the 320i was the obvious choice. The deal breaker would probably have been the cockpit and 8 inch infotainment, along with the speakers. But now even the cockpit and infotainment has been upgraded. Just upgrade with aftermarket speakers and you've got the ideal car.

Of course there'll still be those who value the extra power from the 330i. And the M Sport steering and fittings.

And of course ... I could be wrong about all of this.
BigMan123
post Jul 2 2021, 09:36 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,131 posts

QUOTE(clature @ Jul 2 2021, 09:31 AM)
In any case, I think this will probably eat into the 330i sales. For the average user who doesn't want the extra power and wants a more comfortable suspension, the 320i was the obvious choice. The deal breaker would probably have been the cockpit and 8 inch infotainment, along with the speakers. But now even the cockpit and infotainment has been upgraded. Just upgrade with aftermarket speakers and you've got the ideal car.

Of course there'll still be those who value the extra power from the 330i. And the M Sport steering and fittings.

Also the bumper….got a quote outside and to convert to M sport will RM4200

Other thing is the reflective dashboard. Maybe some outside wrapping can help
ZeneticX
post Jul 2 2021, 02:39 PM

stars for what
All Stars
10,321 posts

QUOTE(clature @ Jul 2 2021, 09:31 AM)

nothing a visit to Eurotuner shop couldn't fix for BMW

especially for cosmetics since I doubt these will affect warranty

This post has been edited by ZeneticX: Jul 2 2021, 02:39 PM
Pepperboy
post Jul 2 2021, 03:44 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

Looks like some itchy hands... they HAD to remove something - no more qi wireless charging...
clature
post Jul 2 2021, 04:11 PM

14 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Jul 2 2021, 03:44 PM)
Looks like some itchy hands... they HAD to remove something - no more qi wireless charging...
It was too good to be true. But then ..... isn't the qi wireless charging port where the digital key's supposed to be placed? Does that mean they're removing the digital key function as well?
Pepperboy
post Jul 2 2021, 04:28 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

That was my exact concern initially (digital key > wireless charging). After some digging at overseas forum, found out that NFC pad and wireless charging pad can exist exclusive of each other.

Meaning, if the car has comfort access package, it most likely will have digital key feature, if without wireless charging meaning it's just a NFC pad there with a different logo and LED indicator...
Boy96
post Jul 2 2021, 07:41 PM

That's a tripod.
3,321 posts

does it have android auto as well? or just carplay?
thesnake
post Jul 4 2021, 12:28 PM

On my way
505 posts

the 2021 G20 320i comes with all digital instrument cluster and among other features..

can google urself.. source from paulinetan.. i wont paste the link here due to obvious reasons
driftmeister
post Jul 4 2021, 09:28 PM

Penggadai Rakyat®
4,105 posts

QUOTE(Boy96 @ Jul 2 2021, 07:41 PM)
AA by default, Carplay need to pay.
clature
post Jul 5 2021, 09:48 AM

14 posts

QUOTE(thesnake @ Jul 4 2021, 12:28 PM)
the 2021 G20 320i comes with all digital instrument cluster and among other features..

can google urself.. source from paulinetan.. i wont paste the link here due to obvious reasons
No wonderlah when I put the link to pauline, the link gets broken immediately. lol

Sorry for noob question ... but why are pauline links censored here?
ZeneticX
post Jul 5 2021, 11:18 AM

stars for what
All Stars
10,321 posts

QUOTE(clature @ Jul 5 2021, 09:48 AM)
No wonderlah when I put the link to pauline, the link gets broken immediately. lol

Sorry for noob question ... but why are pauline links censored here?
long story...

TLDR - pauline don't like it

This post has been edited by ZeneticX: Jul 5 2021, 11:19 AM
JH13
post Jul 5 2021, 02:32 PM

10 posts

QUOTE(Boy96 @ Jul 2 2021, 08:41 PM)
3 months free trial for AA and carplay, after 3 months have to purchase 1 off price with 1,299
romuluz777
post Jul 9 2021, 03:51 PM

On my way
521 posts

The 2021 320i Sport line looks very attractive now, with the added Live Cockpit Professional and 10.25" infotainment display.
Only thing missing now is the M-sport steering wheel and the M Performance pedals, but these can be easily retrofitted outside.
clature
post Sep 28 2021, 04:10 PM

14 posts

So ... anyone here got the BMW 320i with updated Live Cockpit Professional?
dummies
post Oct 24 2021, 03:18 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

My brother booked one in End of june, per his SA update, need to wait until December to get the car due to chip shortage and other reasons.

Yes, he will get digital cockpit. He is lucky, he paid the old price and get all these upgrade. Now the price is more expensive

This post has been edited by dummies: Oct 24 2021, 03:22 PM
ltpg
post Oct 24 2021, 06:46 PM