Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Can i Buy BMW G20 - 320i

views

ZeneticX
post Jun 11 2021, 12:48 PM

stars for what
All Stars
11,768 posts

QUOTE(HalseyFrangipane @ Jun 11 2021, 12:55 AM)
Nothing against owners who want to drive BMW for the brand or luxury, but I highly recommend a Lexus or something else that's reliable if they aren't an enthusiast, or at least aren't willing to put in the research to know what are the causes of issues, etc and just let a workshop take care of all the maintenance. But of course, it's not their fault as the workshops aren't even suppose to be scamming people in the first place.
Scammers will be scammers and those without knowledge will continue to fall for it regardless of the car they drive. Even a Axia owner can be scammed. But the probability might be higher with BMW/Merc owners as a sizeable majority are just into them for the brand alone...
constant_weight
post Jun 11 2021, 11:26 PM

Enthusiast
856 posts

QUOTE(HalseyFrangipane @ Jun 11 2021, 12:55 AM)
Nothing against owners who want to drive BMW for the brand or luxury, but I highly recommend a Lexus or something else that's reliable if they aren't an enthusiast, or at least aren't willing to put in the research to know what are the causes of issues, etc and just let a workshop take care of all the maintenance. But of course, it's not their fault as the workshops aren't even suppose to be scamming people in the first place.
For modern car, it makes little difference for most traditional 3rd party mechanic if it is Japanese or not. What they usually do are oil change and replace battery, alternator, suspension arms, brake pads, shock absorbers etc something mechanical externally.

20 years old engine they still can fix. The one near my place once got a Camry Hybrid with check engine light but still able to drive, he basically looked at engine bay, then closed the hood and told the guy to go back to Toyota. They can't even read a full English sentence, don't expect them to deal with computers.

One famous example is engine oil sip usually caused by PCV valve clogged, because engine unable to equalize air pressure inside the block to atmospheric pressure. BMW and most continentals adopted direct injection and turbo for many years + Malaysian basically can not walk and do a lot of short distance drive, that contributed to the problem. Otherwise the PCV would last 80,000km+. So knowing the principle, 90% of the case only need to change PCV. The old mechanic either think it is BMW design problem, or simply change engine gasket. There goes the urban myth BMW always leak oil. With the Japanese adopting more modern tech, the old dogs going to see more stuffs they don't understand. "Got sound change the part" approach no longer works

For the 3rd party modern specialized shops that have real knowledge and up to date with technology, usually famous within the region. They knows how to deal with modern cars, have reputation to keep and don't simply scam people.
Pepperboy
post Jun 12 2021, 10:32 AM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(constant_weight @ Jun 11 2021, 11:26 PM)
BMW and most continentals adopted direct injection and turbo for many years + Malaysian basically can not walk and do a lot of short distance drive, that contributed to the problem. Otherwise the PCV would last 80,000km+. So knowing the principle, 90% of the case only need to change PCV. The old mechanic either think it is BMW design problem, or simply change engine gasket. There goes the urban myth BMW always leak oil. With the Japanese adopting more modern tech, the old dogs going to see more stuffs they don't understand. "Got sound change the part" approach no longer works

For the 3rd party modern specialized shops that have real knowledge and up to date with technology, usually famous within the region. They knows how to deal with modern cars, have reputation to keep and don't simply scam people.
Ah yes, another common statement I've seen is "driving short distances often is not good for ur BMW". May I know more specifically how short-distance driving contributes to the PCV issue?

So during this lockdown period daily drive go tapau food a few kilometres away is a no-no for the engine?

constant_weight
post Jun 12 2021, 06:02 PM

Enthusiast
856 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Jun 12 2021, 10:32 AM)
Ah yes, another common statement I've seen is "driving short distances often is not good for ur BMW". May I know more specifically how short-distance driving contributes to the PCV issue?

So during this lockdown period daily drive go tapau food a few kilometres away is a no-no for the engine?
Actually not limited to BMW, but any cars. Just direct injection + turbo the effect is more prominent.

This goes back to the purpose of PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation). Here's some history and development over time.

- the pressure of crankcase where the engine oil at is not static
- piston movement cause fast pressure change, and blow-by are adding more air to the crankcase
- The earlier engines have no ventilation and no gasket, oil leak is normal. Then gaskets were added but doesn't fix the problem. Because the pressure is pushing the oil through any gaps possible.
- The people started to make small hole at the top of the engine to release the pressure, but this is still not PCV
- This release the pressure, but the blow-by, the unburned, burned carbon etc are still containment the engine oil
- Here's the next design, connect bring a simple rubber pipe from the vent to the bottom of the car. Then open another hole to vent in fresh air, known as breather valve
- This fast moving car create low pressure (relative to the crankcase) at the bottom of the car, thus suck the air out naturally through the rubber pipe. Fresh air goes into crankcase via breather
- This is first iteration of PCV and Breather
- But the dirty air is now vented to atmosphere, the government started to mandate rules to ban this cheap but polluting solution. California is the first in the world.
- The new solution is to vent the PCV out air back into engine intake. Thus recycle the dirty air into engine to burn off. This also have other benefit of lower the combustion temperature and reduce other form of emissions.
- For NA engine intake manifold is always negative pressure, we have vacuum from the intake manifold to pull air from PCV.
- For Turbo or Supercharger, PCV need one way valve. On idle and cruising, the intake manifold is negative pressure and pull air from PCV like NA. When on boost, PCV will close.
- So now, remember the air from PCV is dirty. For port injection, the gasoline will clean the intake valve.
- For direct injection, the dirty air will contaminate the intake system, thus the famous carbon build up issue.
- Now for more expensive cars including BMW have oil air separator built into the PCV system.
- Consider this as the OEM oil catch can, with minor different is the oil is sent back to engine. Owner no need to clean the catch can.
- Japanese and Korean (not sure about the Genesis which basically designed by German engineers) usually do not have the oil air separator.
- The common of both solutions are carbon deposit will still increase over time. It is either you want to clot the PCV first or clot the valve first. Worse enough both still get clotted.

With the background, you can see yourself how short drive affect the system. The engine have less time to warm up, some case never really warm up. Short tapau most likely driving at low rpm and low load, the airflow is slow. The fresh air circulation of PCV circulation also slow, and high frequency for dirty dead air as soon as engine off (short trip = start/stop more often per same mileage). Don't worry too much as things are much better today with advance ECU to manage the timing + better engine oil the problem is less severe. One should not worry until at least 80,000KM - 100,000KM, which the remedy is known. Check the intake valves and PCV, clean/replace as needed. One should only do this 1 time for entire car ownership, maybe 2 if drive 20 years. Unless the owner drive <1KM multiple times, daily. That's an extreme case.

This post has been edited by constant_weight: Jun 12 2021, 06:09 PM
Pepperboy
post Jun 12 2021, 07:29 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

Thanks a lot for the very detailed explanation!!

With this information in hand, would I be able to offset daily short trips in the mornings to the workplace with a longer drive (say around 10km) during lunchtime to avoid this problem?
littlefire
post Jun 14 2021, 01:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,146 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Jun 12 2021, 08:29 PM)

With this information in hand, would I be able to offset daily short trips in the mornings to the workplace with a longer drive (say around 10km) during lunchtime to avoid this problem?
Your longer drive is driven in what condition? If highway with higher speed is ok, but if the 10km also is stop start or slow traffic jam situation which is like driving in city or small town area actually is also LPPL..

This post has been edited by littlefire: Jun 14 2021, 01:51 PM
constant_weight
post Jun 14 2021, 10:22 PM

Enthusiast
856 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Jun 12 2021, 07:29 PM)

QUOTE(littlefire @ Jun 14 2021, 01:50 PM)
Your longer drive is driven in what condition? If highway with higher speed is ok, but if the 10km also is stop start or slow traffic jam situation which is like driving in city or small town area actually is also LPPL..
That's true, a lot of idling and stop and go it not good as well.

If you don't need to do the 10km, no need to purposely drive it, that is counter productive.

If you need to do that 10km by all means, like I said now with better engine oil and advance control, it is much better than the past. Normally 80,000KM+, if you in the worst use case let's say half at 40,000KM+, go for 4S or reputable 3rd party, they know what to do. It is not an expensive fix. Further more you stay close to your work like you mentions, how long do you think you need to drive 40,000KM?

Use good engine oil, and change per manufacturer recommendation.
hOnGhOnG
post Jun 16 2021, 08:42 AM

Getting Started
200 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Jun 12 2021, 07:29 PM)

buy 330e, give u 40-50km electric, engine wont run. kakakaka. no need warm up car also cause electric.

my workplace is 15km from my house, so only weekend go buy sayur or lepak will consume petrol. my last refuel was 2 months ago RM50.

Electric bill charge everyday around RM150 extra.
riezzien
post Jun 16 2021, 09:20 AM

Getting Started
107 posts

Buy.
Sell at the end of 5 yrs warranty. Seriously
driedfish
post Jun 19 2021, 03:11 PM

45 posts

QUOTE(thesnake @ Jun 2 2021, 06:57 PM)
somehow 320i is better
not really

330i has the power but not suit family or full load

matrix88
post Jun 29 2021, 08:41 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,098 posts

QUOTE(hOnGhOnG @ Jun 16 2021, 08:42 AM)
buy 330e, give u 40-50km electric, engine wont run. kakakaka. no need warm up car also cause electric.

my workplace is 15km from my house, so only weekend go buy sayur or lepak will consume petrol. my last refuel was 2 months ago RM50.

Electric bill charge everyday around RM150 extra.
150 electric bill per month is not cheap, converting to petrol cost means it is more expensive to run, not to mention maintenance for battery, inverter, charger, motor etc.

No wonder 330e second price suffers so much.
BigMan123
post Jun 30 2021, 09:36 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,426 posts

QUOTE(matrix88 @ Jun 29 2021, 08:41 PM)
150 electric bill per month is not cheap, converting to petrol cost means it is more expensive to run, not to mention maintenance for battery, inverter, charger, motor etc.

No wonder 330e second price suffers so much.
After buying phev, there are a lot of people asking if the auto start stop when car is idle can be switched off. There is no button for this though some work around is available
clature
post Jul 1 2021, 03:49 PM

26 posts

BMW 320i Gets Live Cockpit Professional Plus

Good news for potential buyers I guess. But still 6 speakers though ...

But kesian the current 320i owners who got the analogue dials
BigMan123
post Jul 2 2021, 06:15 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,426 posts

QUOTE(clature @ Jul 1 2021, 03:49 PM)
<a href='https://<link removed>/2021/07/01/2021-bmw-320i-sport-gets-live-cockpit-professional-with-bigger-screens-operating-system-7-rm231k/' target='_blank'>BMW 320i Gets Live Cockpit Professional Plus</a>

Good news for potential buyers I guess. But still 6 speakers though ...

But kesian the current 320i owners who got the analogue dials
No wonder there were no stock allocations in May and June.
This cockpit is a massive upgrade.
clature
post Jul 2 2021, 09:31 AM

26 posts

QUOTE(BigMan123 @ Jul 2 2021, 06:15 AM)
No wonder there were no stock allocations in May and June.
This cockpit is a massive upgrade.
In any case, I think this will probably eat into the 330i sales. For the average user who doesn't want the extra power and wants a more comfortable suspension, the 320i was the obvious choice. The deal breaker would probably have been the cockpit and 8 inch infotainment, along with the speakers. But now even the cockpit and infotainment has been upgraded. Just upgrade with aftermarket speakers and you've got the ideal car.

Of course there'll still be those who value the extra power from the 330i. And the M Sport steering and fittings.

And of course ... I could be wrong about all of this.
BigMan123
post Jul 2 2021, 09:36 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,426 posts

QUOTE(clature @ Jul 2 2021, 09:31 AM)
In any case, I think this will probably eat into the 330i sales. For the average user who doesn't want the extra power and wants a more comfortable suspension, the 320i was the obvious choice. The deal breaker would probably have been the cockpit and 8 inch infotainment, along with the speakers. But now even the cockpit and infotainment has been upgraded. Just upgrade with aftermarket speakers and you've got the ideal car.

Of course there'll still be those who value the extra power from the 330i. And the M Sport steering and fittings.

Also the bumper….got a quote outside and to convert to M sport will RM4200

Other thing is the reflective dashboard. Maybe some outside wrapping can help
ZeneticX
post Jul 2 2021, 02:39 PM

stars for what
All Stars
11,768 posts

QUOTE(clature @ Jul 2 2021, 09:31 AM)

nothing a visit to Eurotuner shop couldn't fix for BMW

especially for cosmetics since I doubt these will affect warranty

This post has been edited by ZeneticX: Jul 2 2021, 02:39 PM
Pepperboy
post Jul 2 2021, 03:44 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

Looks like some itchy hands... they HAD to remove something - no more qi wireless charging...
clature
post Jul 2 2021, 04:11 PM

26 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Jul 2 2021, 03:44 PM)
Looks like some itchy hands... they HAD to remove something - no more qi wireless charging...
It was too good to be true. But then ..... isn't the qi wireless charging port where the digital key's supposed to be placed? Does that mean they're removing the digital key function as well?
Pepperboy
post Jul 2 2021, 04:28 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

That was my exact concern initially (digital key > wireless charging). After some digging at overseas forum, found out that NFC pad and wireless charging pad can exist exclusive of each other.

Meaning, if the car has comfort access package, it most likely will have digital key feature, if without wireless charging meaning it's just a NFC pad there with a different logo and LED indicator...

10 Pages « < 7 8 9 10 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0432sec    0.14    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:14 AM