Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Can i Buy BMW G20 - 320i

views

BigMan123
post Jun 7 2021, 08:23 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,426 posts

QUOTE(RL5959 @ Jun 6 2021, 11:27 PM)
Family member and I bought the previous gen BMW 5 when it first came out, 7years ago, at the same time.

My car: 6 years, 120k km, regular 10k service, no issues at all but I could sense the car was about to give issues just before I sold it. Took care of it, didn't redline, hardly ever over 4-5k rpm. Parked under shade, rubber bits took 5 years to begin going sticky. I bought the replacement.

Other car: 5.5 years, 110k km, irregular 10-20km service, engine overhaul 3rd year and engine/tranny overhaul 5th year. Not really that cared for as much, revved a bit harder, occasionally parked in sun, rubber bits sticky after 3 years. This car was not replaced by another BMW.

Anecdotal experience yes, but if you do put some effort into taking care of it, it should serve well. Just remember that they're not really built for our heat and humidity, and it's best to not hold on to them after 6 years.
Same. Had a F30 for 7 years. No issues except for an engine oil leak earlier this year.

Rubber bits melted but got them replaced below 1k.

Once driven a BMW, you will realized why the tag line is sheer driving pleasure

fastreader
post Jun 7 2021, 08:54 AM

4,551 posts

Family member and I bought the previous gen BMW 5 when it first came out, 7years ago, at the same time.

My car: 6 years, 120k km, regular 10k service, no issues at all but I could sense the car was about to give issues just before I sold it. Took care of it, didn't redline, hardly ever over 4-5k rpm. Parked under shade, rubber bits took 5 years to begin going sticky. I bought the replacement.

Other car: 5.5 years, 110k km, irregular 10-20km service, engine overhaul 3rd year and engine/tranny overhaul 5th year. Not really that cared for as much, revved a bit harder, occasionally parked in sun, rubber bits sticky after 3 years. This car was not replaced by another BMW.

Anecdotal experience yes, but if you do put some effort into taking care of it, it should serve well. Just remember that they're not really built for our heat and humidity, and it's best to not hold on to them after 6 years.
wow..tats quite an unfortunate vehicle for the 5.5years...cos a lot of beemer holds well past 7-8 years... i'm still whacking my E90 like a ricer btw.

a year 2011 (final production year) E90..so, yea, reaching double digit in age...sticky parts (interior door handle) changed, window seal change,coolant hose, signal lights...all for under 1k...

This post has been edited by fastreader: Jun 7 2021, 08:59 AM
RL5959
post Jun 7 2021, 09:30 PM

4 posts

QUOTE(fastreader @ Jun 7 2021, 09:54 AM)
wow..tats quite an unfortunate vehicle for the 5.5years...cos a lot of beemer holds well past 7-8 years... i'm still whacking my E90 like a ricer btw.

a year 2011 (final production year) E90..so, yea, reaching double digit in age...sticky parts (interior door handle) changed, window seal change,coolant hose, signal lights...all for under 1k...
Ok this is quite important also.
Final production year is obv the best year in terms of reliability cos all kinks ironed out. But also depreciation hits the hardest.
The cars I mentioned were 2nd year cars - smack in between launch and LCI.
I say this because first year cars, of which I've had a couple of BMWs that fall in that range, including a 3rd month car, are understandably still plagued with new model issues. Many of these issue affect the car reasonably soon, others takes years to come into play. But normally after a year they'd pick up on the most critical ones. Sites like RealOEM will show which parts get switched out.

Also just have a google for the TSBs out for your car.
fastreader
post Jun 8 2021, 08:24 AM

4,551 posts

QUOTE(RL5959 @ Jun 7 2021, 09:30 PM)
Ok this is quite important also.
Final production year is obv the best year in terms of reliability cos all kinks ironed out. But also depreciation hits the hardest.
The cars I mentioned were 2nd year cars - smack in between launch and LCI.
I say this because first year cars, of which I've had a couple of BMWs that fall in that range, including a 3rd month car, are understandably still plagued with new model issues. Many of these issue affect the car reasonably soon, others takes years to come into play. But normally after a year they'd pick up on the most critical ones. Sites like RealOEM will show which parts get switched out.

Also just have a google for the TSBs out for your car.
yeap, agreed on the final production year purchase's depreciation.. doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif cry.gif cry.gif

thanks for sharing on the RealOEM site, for future references and knowledge juga. smile.gif
Pepperboy
post Jun 8 2021, 11:07 AM

Getting Started
147 posts

When u say you could sense the car was about to give issues, what do u mean specifically?

Parked under the shade approx. how many percent of the time?

Which rubber bit tend to go sticky?

BigMan123
post Jun 8 2021, 12:34 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,426 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Jun 8 2021, 11:07 AM)
When u say you could sense the car was about to give issues, what do u mean specifically?

Oil leak will be a good early warning that more things will crumble or give way.

Rubber bits mainly in older models…the door handles and the radio knobs usually
ZeneticX
post Jun 8 2021, 03:15 PM

stars for what
All Stars
11,769 posts

QUOTE(fastreader @ Jun 8 2021, 08:24 AM)
yeap, agreed on the final production year purchase's depreciation.. doh.gif  doh.gif  doh.gif  cry.gif  cry.gif

thanks for sharing on the RealOEM site, for future references and knowledge juga. smile.gif
wait for new model out and you can grab the final production year model at a great bargain

that's if you are willing to go for an older BMW when there's a newer better model
BigMan123
post Jun 8 2021, 05:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,426 posts

QUOTE(ZeneticX @ Jun 8 2021, 03:15 PM)
wait for new model out and you can grab the final production year model at a great bargain
that's if you are willing to go for an older BMW when there's a newer better model
Go for x1. Towards the end of its life and now comes with a lot of features and m sport body kit
RL5959
post Jun 8 2021, 11:43 PM

4 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Jun 8 2021, 12:07 PM)

1) After 6 years and 120k km you kinda know the car. The sounds, the vibrations, the feel of things. So when I say sense, I mean that several bio-mechanical connections told me that something just wasn't right. It sounded a bit rougher, a bit of whine somewhere (hello gearbox), and the bum-carseat interface told me that was some odd vibrations also-engine mounts, prob. Steering wasn't as tight, usual wear and tear, and absorbers felt crashier. Not my first BMW rodeo - expected the upcoming engine/gearbox overhaul, replacement of shocks, mounts, bushings, pads, rotors etc... Incidentally, this all costs 60k for a M car, and having done that and not wanting to go through it with the daily driver, I decided to sell it off.

2) Parked under shade 95% of time, home and work. This one didn't have the headlining cave in, and the rubber bits got a bit sticky, but not full-on treacle.

3) Soft-touch bits like door handles and cupholder surrounds. Apparently new model cars have a better formula that resists melting better.
RL5959
post Jun 8 2021, 11:46 PM

4 posts

QUOTE(fastreader @ Jun 8 2021, 09:24 AM)
yeap, agreed on the final production year purchase's depreciation.. doh.gif  doh.gif  doh.gif  cry.gif  cry.gif

Welcome. I use RealOEM to compare prices. It's approx USD prices, so if the workshop here is charging more than double, then you'd better ask them to throw in some extra lube.
littlefire
post Jun 9 2021, 09:19 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,147 posts

QUOTE(RL5959 @ Jun 9 2021, 12:46 AM)
Welcome. I use RealOEM to compare prices. It's approx USD prices, so if the workshop here is charging more than double, then you'd better ask them to throw in some extra lube.
RealOEM pricing is not always updated.
You need to go at least 2~3 international website like UK car spare part, ebay or german spare part site to compare.
If your part is rare or need special order usually it will be more expensive as spare part shop will help just to order that particular part for you using fast courier from oversea.
Pepperboy
post Jun 9 2021, 12:25 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(RL5959 @ Jun 8 2021, 11:43 PM)
1) After 6 years and 120k km you kinda know the car. The sounds, the vibrations, the feel of things. So when I say sense, I mean that several bio-mechanical connections told me that something just wasn't right. It sounded a bit rougher, a bit of whine somewhere (hello gearbox), and the bum-carseat interface told me that was some odd vibrations also-engine mounts, prob. Steering wasn't as tight, usual wear and tear, and absorbers felt crashier. Not my first BMW rodeo - expected the upcoming engine/gearbox overhaul, replacement of shocks, mounts, bushings, pads, rotors etc... Incidentally, this all costs 60k for a M car, and having done that and not wanting to go through it with the daily driver, I decided to sell it off.

2) Parked under shade 95% of time, home and work. This one didn't have the headlining cave in, and the rubber bits got a bit sticky, but not full-on treacle.

3) Soft-touch bits like door handles and cupholder surrounds. Apparently new model cars have a better formula that resists melting better.
Thanks for the info! Really appreciate it.

So even when taken care of as meticulously as u did, a BMW would probably need an engine/gearbox overhaul at around 6 years / 100+k km...

Would it be unrealistic to expect to keep a BMW (3 series) for 10 years without undergoing a major overhaul? Is this BMW specific or does it affect most conti cars?

littlefire
post Jun 9 2021, 12:33 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,147 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Jun 9 2021, 01:25 PM)

So even when taken care of as meticulously as u did, a BMW would probably need an engine/gearbox overhaul at around 6 years / 100+k km...

Would it be unrealistic to expect to keep a BMW (3 series) for 10 years without undergoing a major overhaul? Is this BMW specific or does it affect most conti cars?
Overhauling is quite subjective, for what i know BMW if after warranty are easy to leak oil due to the gasket and rubber part around the engine will wear.
Usually these oil leak can be settle without dissemble the whole internal engine. Normal oil leak area like engine flywheel/gearbox oil seal, main pulley oil seal, engine valve cover seal, oil pan are just a few which is common to leak after warranty. Usually after change it, you should be ok to last another 5 years or 100k if getting original stuff.

This post has been edited by littlefire: Jun 9 2021, 05:17 PM
HalseyFrangipane
post Jun 9 2021, 08:52 PM

On my way
500 posts

QUOTE(Pepperboy @ Jun 9 2021, 12:25 PM)

No they do not.

Leaks are usually from old gasket and rubber and do not require an overhaul.
littlefire
post Jun 10 2021, 09:08 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,147 posts

QUOTE(HalseyFrangipane @ Jun 9 2021, 09:52 PM)
No they do not.

Leaks are usually from old gasket and rubber and do not require an overhaul.
Yes, agree.

Recently my mechanic met a BMW owner which i believe might be scam by some workshop.
Some owners are phobia about oil leak or any warning symbols coming out from the meter and did not have basic knowledge about cars. With this weakness some workshop took the opportunity and scam the owner by saying the need to do major overhauling or expensive repairs which actually just did few gasket or oil ring change...
BigMan123
post Jun 10 2021, 09:16 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,426 posts

QUOTE(littlefire @ Jun 10 2021, 09:08 AM)
Yes, agree.

Recently my mechanic met a BMW owner which i believe might be scam by some workshop.
Some owners are phobia about oil leak or any warning symbols coming out from the meter and did not have basic knowledge about cars. With this weakness some workshop took the opportunity and scam the owner by saying the need to do major overhauling or expensive repairs which actually just did few gasket or oil ring change...
On a similar note, I had an experience with car wash. Sent my car for normal wash and vacuum and I ate at restaurant next door. After some time the owner came and told me my car had black grease/ stains at certain area. I went to take a look together and he said he can try polishing to remove them. So no choice and the stains were subsequently removed. So happy…and signed up some package with him.

Several weeks later, I went to cut hair. The salon guy told me there is this good car wash place nearby. I asked if it’s the one I went to. Then he said no….cos this guy apparently goes round the neighborhood splashing those black stains so people will go for his car wash and polishing.

Conclusion…got scammed.

Morale of story: never leave your car unattended
HalseyFrangipane
post Jun 11 2021, 12:55 AM

On my way
500 posts

Yes, agree.

Nothing against owners who want to drive BMW for the brand or luxury, but I highly recommend a Lexus or something else that's reliable if they aren't an enthusiast, or at least aren't willing to put in the research to know what are the causes of issues, etc and just let a workshop take care of all the maintenance. But of course, it's not their fault as the workshops aren't even suppose to be scamming people in the first place.
littlefire
post Jun 11 2021, 08:53 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,147 posts

QUOTE(HalseyFrangipane @ Jun 11 2021, 01:55 AM)
Nothing against owners who want to drive BMW for the brand or luxury, but I highly recommend a Lexus or something else that's reliable if they aren't an enthusiast, or at least aren't willing to put in the research to know what are the causes of issues, etc and just let a workshop take care of all the maintenance. But of course, it's not their fault as the workshops aren't even suppose to be scamming people in the first place.
This is a sad truth as a lot of workshop mentality is that people which can drive BMW, Merc (Even Lexus) must be rich people and willing to pay more.. I think if you really do research or survay, 10 workshop 9 of them for sure will say charge the BMW, Merc owner higher for similar job.. laugh.gif
zeng
post Jun 11 2021, 09:10 AM

Regular
1,760 posts

Yes, agree.

Agree with you on BMW or other high rm cars.
However, I believe quite the same thing happens to entry level cars with owners being advised on (major) overhauls for minor leaks here and there.
Can't blame general population for 'lack' of basic knowledge on car maintenance but it's good be humble to ask and seek advice from reputable fora and knowledgeable friends, if any.
Mechanics are a source too, but with vested interests in particular the SC's.

This post has been edited by zeng: Jun 11 2021, 09:12 AM
blmse92
post Jun 11 2021, 09:46 AM

On my way
560 posts

A basic warning issue pop out from idrive or dashboard indicate that error not necessary is that particular error, better get a OBD port scanner to check which area is in fault. Might be battery

10 Pages « < 6 7 8 9 10 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0138sec    0.45    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:54 PM