Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

I have had good progress in web programming

views

FlierMate
post Dec 6 2020, 10:33 PM

On my way
Validating
543 posts

(This is my new account biggrin.gif as I would like to keep a low profile but people familiar with my skillset may know who am I)

I am not being ambitious. I just wanted to learn new stuffs. I am beginner in PHP but can pick up things fast. And I am OK with SQL in desktop app programming but have no experience linking to SQL from web app programmatically.

Last month, I coded a blogging site manually (and successfully). Everything at the time needs to be opened using text editor so that I could insert my blog content in the midst of HTML tags.
I propose an advanced version of this blogging site, that the PHP will generate the blog page programmatically.

I plan to have the following, but I seek your recommendations:
1) Login and Register.

How does blogging site (or simply any site with userbase) send activation link which would work?
How to implement it from scratch theoretically, and how to implement with the help of frameworks, if any?

2) Storing of user account information and blog articles

Can I store the data as a flat file instead of database table?
Is it possible the flat file would be hacked despite being encrypted using my own method? Or does MySQL database provide better protection against malicious attack?

3) Formatting of blog articles

Which one do you recommend? Use my own markdown language or use HTML markup?

4) Generating blog page programmatically
5) Generating table of content programmatically

This is where the fun begins. drool.gif I have not think about it in details yet, but I hope it can be done anyway.

6) Design of user's personalized homepage

This is the most difficult part. Blogger.com, for example, allows user to drag-and-drop the UI elements up and down, and can choose to hide a particular UI element.

What I am planning is to let users choosing background image, set the title and description, and maybe choice to set time zone and delete account.

FlierMate
post Oct 4 2021, 11:16 PM

On my way
Validating
543 posts

Just curious and want to do one like this (see picture below):

It is actually from online newspaper portal where readers can react by clicking Like or Dislike without the need to login and whatsoever.

Do you web developer expert know how to do it? PHP +AJAX? Or pure Javascript?
And how to keep track the number of upvotes and downvotes? Database or text file?

This is an interesting and small project to do. Can someone shed lights on these?

user posted image
FlierMate
post Oct 5 2021, 10:15 PM

On my way
Validating
543 posts

QUOTE(silverhawk @ Oct 5 2021, 07:35 PM)
what steps/layers do you think are required first? Dont think about the language, just think of the steps.
Thanks for your question.
I think I need to create two buttons, one for Like and another one for Dislike.
The buttons have "onclick=" to fire an event in Javascript.

The downvotes and upvotes are not just session or cookies, these are parmanent, so the number of likes and dislikes are probably to be stored in file or database table. But on second thought, who will use a database table just to save Upvotes & Downvotes two distinct value in such a small scale project?

But then I am not sure if Javascript can actually open and write to file. Please enlighten me.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0156sec    0.50    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:06 PM